• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I think it would be cool if every amiibo of Mewtwo, Lucas, and whoever comes after automatically comes with a free code for said character.
Or maybe they're like 15.99 to compensate.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Which characters do you think will be included due to the poll?
I don't think any will, per se. My belief is Sakurai already has his list characters to include and the suggestions from the community merely serve to help shrink the pool.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
I don't think any will, per se. My belief is Sakurai already has his list characters to include and the suggestions from the community merely serve to help shrink the pool.
I want to see, or even be, that one guy that turns a character not considered into a #1 choice :p

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I can see that point, considering that Sonic managed to sneak his way on the roster despite not being on the initial roster list for Brawl at all, it's definitely possible the same could happen here if a character comes off as very notable to the development team. Sometimes popularity and notability can be just enough to convince the developers to try out new ideas that they didn't consider before, and this ballot allows us the chance to do that, as long as it's within the realms of possibility for them.

That's not to say that we will get someone like King K. Rool or Inkling for certain if they're number 1 on the list, but I do feel that these suggestions would be enough to at least have them take a look regardless.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
As was mentioned previously, if Sakurai and co. don't even consider popular candidates like K. Rool and Isaac, they'd have to be actively ignoring the fanbase.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I think the Smash Ballot will also significantly influence the next game, especially if Sakurai does it as well.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
As was mentioned previously, if Sakurai and co. don't even consider popular candidates like K. Rool and Isaac, they'd have to be actively ignoring the fanbase.
One character is barely relevant to their franchise anymore, and the other may not ever see a game in its series again. I'm not saying it's fair but it is the truth. Which especially stinks in the case of Isaac.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
One character is barely relevant to their franchise anymore, and the other may not ever see a game in its series again. I'm not saying it's fair but it is the truth. Which especially stinks in the case of Isaac.
Signs point towards K. Rool returning in the next DK game.

Which would blow the whole "muh relevance" argument to beautiful pieces. :3

Burruni

Smash Hero
To be fair, even after Rareware left Donkey Kong, they kept using King K. Rool in almost every game until Returns. He just hasn't been in the two Returns games or Jungle Beat, being present and the antagonist for in Donkey Konga, King of Swing, Jungle Climber, Barrel Blast, and brought back for Super Mario Sluggers. The fact that Kremlings were present enough to be Smash run enemies takes away some of that recency argument. And that's without all the homages and hints to him in Tropical Freeze right down to the final boss.

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
At this point I'm expecting K Rool to FINNALY show up. Playtonic AND Rare? This is huge.

Phil Spencer opening his mouth about Banjo gave him 10,000's of votes by now.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
To be fair, even after Rareware left Donkey Kong, they kept using King K. Rool in almost every game until Returns. He just hasn't been in the two Returns games or Jungle Beat, being present and the antagonist for in Donkey Konga, King of Swing, Jungle Climber, Barrel Blast, and brought back for Super Mario Sluggers. The fact that Kremlings were present enough to be Smash run enemies takes away some of that recency argument. And that's without all the homages and hints to him in Tropical Freeze right down to the final boss.
Yeah but I think the recent games will hold more weight. Unless Retro Studios surprises everyone and gives us Donkey Kong Country Returns 3: Animal Buddies and Kremling Krew.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I'm thinking this might be a possibility too.

That he already has a short list that may change if any character goes well above or below his expectations.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I don't really want a new Returns game right now and its too early, but I think they have released a Country game every two-four years when it came to the original trilogy, so they might be developing another DK again.
It isn't certain still.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
They may already have their eye on a handful of characters (since it'll really only be handful of characters who receive high votes AND are viable choices), but I don't think they'll be obtuse enough to refuse a viable high-scoring character they may not have had their eye on if it gets enough support. At the very least, they certainly won't try to pass off the Chorus Kids, who barely got a single mention before an American leak and are still quite under-the-radar, as "the players' choice character."

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
"We've seen the overwhelming amount of requests from extremely dedicated fans to have King K. Rool playable when looking through the Smash Bros. fighter ballot, in fact we've seen the large support this character has received for many years now. We've been hesitant to add the character in before, but now that K. Rool has received far more requests than any other potential Nintendo newcomer in this poll, (which was created to give us a better idea of what our wonderful and dedicated fans want) we have no choice but to say... **** you."

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I don't really want a new Returns game right now and its too early, but I think they have released a Country game every two-four years when it came to the original trilogy, so they might be developing another DK again.
It isn't certain still.
Agreed.

I would want them to make the next one sometime next gen.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I'm thinking this might be a possibility too.

That he already has a short list that may change if any character goes well above or below his expectations.
As some other people have explained before the fact that they even ask the participant's gender show this ballot is more about market research and less about actually needing help coming up with characters. Sakurai already has his list in a secret vault somewhere in his office.

EDIT: Some evidence for my position.
...Another interesting note to draw from these comments are that Sakurai mentions that there are still “characters being looked at,” which could mean his team is still hard at work trying to keep additional fighters from being left on the cutting room floor. It could also mean that some characters may have been shifted to DLC as a result of time restraints.
Link: http://gamerant.com/super-smash-bros-wii-u-3ds-roster-greninja-details/

Does "muh relevance" even matter anymore?
To a degree it does:
"We conduct a character popularity poll both domestically and internationally." answered Sakurai. A rather straightforward answer. Of course, it's not like we expected anything along the lines of nighttime rituals with a ouija board. But there's more. Continued Sakurai, "We also research games that are currently being developed. After that, it's pretty much up to us, with a touch of convenience."

"There are a lot things to take into account when deciding [characters]." Sakurai wrote. "Does the character have something inherently unique about them? Can that be used to make Smash Bros. interesting? Is the character a representative character [for the source material]? Do they conflict at all with other characters? Was there anything about them that stood out when we began development?"

As for who doesn't make the cut, Sakurai noted, "Characters from a series that has no future are rarely chosen. Also, fighters that switch models are a different matter."
Link: http://kotaku.com/smash-bros-creator-explains-how-characters-get-on-the-1644208199

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
King K. Rool may not have been have in a major DKC game in a while, but that doesn't mean he's irrelevant....,he was the main antagonist in every main DK game...
Also, real talk: How would you guys react if Banjo-Kazooie actually becomes DLC while still being owned by Microsoft?

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
King K. Rool may not have been have in a major DKC game in a while, but that doesn't mean he's irrelevant....,he was the main antagonist in every main DK game...
Also, real talk: How would you guys react if Banjo-Kazooie actually becomes DLC while still being owned by Microsoft?
I would ask Nintendo to exchange Banjo for Spyro and make a deal with Activision instead.
I'd be surprised. It would imply that Sakurai doesn't have a "secret list" and Nintendo really didn't care where the video game character came from.

D

Deleted member

Does "muh relevance" even matter anymore?
*looks at Duck Hunt* Certainly not.

Anyway, regardless of how relevant K. Rool is currently and how that affects his chances, he's still an important character, being the original and most recurring DKC villain.

The same way I would feel about Simon Belmont; I'd be thrilled for both (as in Banjo and Simon) of their inclusions, but them being in Smash would seem weird to me since neither of them have been Nintendo relevant lately despite originating on N64 and NES, respectively.

EDIT: Okay, to Simon's credit, he didn't become a competing first party character, and he did have one 3DS game recently.

Last edited by a moderator:

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Signs point towards K. Rool returning in the next DK game.

Which would blow the whole "muh relevance" argument to beautiful pieces. :3
"muh relevance" argument always annoyed the crap out of me, it reminds me of how many people see a trailer for a new nintendo game and go "oooh I want that guy in smash" without knowing a thing about the character or why they matter. It makes me die a little inside.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
When 8 of the 9 games featuring you as main villain rereleased on the Virtual Console over the past six months AND you're scoring highly in a fan ballot (plus the CEO of Retro Studios following a "Bring Back K. Rool" Twitter account), I think you're at least on the table.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
To answer my own question, I would love if this were to happen. Not only do Nintendo fans get to experience Banjo-Kazooie in a Nintendo-owned game, but it would also be an act of good faith between Microsoft and Nintendo, something the gaming community really needs to see.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It's one thing to not originally have a Nintendo character on the shortlist, but it's quite another to not add them to the list of possible candidates upon seeing their massive popularity quantified via the ballot, which is why it exists in the first place, to provide Nintendo with information regarding the desires of the fanbase.

Nintendo's goal first and foremost with this DLC is to have it sell as well as they can. If they're going to omit highly popular, perfectly feasible characters who have a clear potential market evinced through the results of the poll, they're being nothing short of counterproductive. Recency and promotion has it's place, but characters who will sell, regardless of if they're not "current" do as well when it comes to buying characters on an individual basis and not as a package deal.

When you buy the initial game you don't have a choice as to which characters come with it, so they can stick as many partially promotion-related, partially recency-related additions as they want, but when you're doing nothing except for selling a character based on who that character is, you want to go for what you know will sell. At that point it matters a lot less when your last title is as long as you'd turn a respectable profit, which obviously the most requested characters would.

Last edited:

MoveMan1

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai method for determining DLC:

1:Look at the character at the top of the list (that you haven't analysed yet.)
2: Is this character worth your time and effort?
3: If no, INTO THE TRASH IT GOES. Then return to 1.
4: If yes, add it to the DLC box.
5: Is this enough DLC?
6: If no, return to 1.
7: If yes, RETIRE.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
What's the link to Rare supporting K Rool?
playtonicgames is a bunch of employes who previously worked for rare studios

And retro studios made the donkey kong countey series

Oh and as for king k rools relevance

Tell that to all of those virtual console games (especially the the most recent donkey kong 64)

I say the king is relevant despite being virtual console games

Last edited:

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
The fact that Lucas is DLC should automatically kill the whole "relevance" argument.

Last edited:

MoveMan1

Smash Journeyman
EXCUSE ME? DID YOU JUST IMPLY MOTHER 3 IN AMERICA BEING ANNOUNCED IS NOT GONNA HAPPEN?

I WILL CUT YOU. I WILL CUT YOU NINE TIMES.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
The fact that Lucas is DLC should automatically kill the whole "relevance" argument.
It kills every argument about DLC. Lucas is from an old franchise, and all of his specials are the same as in brawl.
EXCUSE ME? DID YOU JUST IMPLY MOTHER 3 IN AMERICA BEING ANNOUNCED IS NOT GONNA HAPPEN?

I WILL CUT YOU. I WILL CUT YOU NINE TIMES.
One cut for each tail. That is violent sir.

What would your reaction be if......(picks random character from wishlist) Tron was DLC? (Tron Bonne the character, not Tron the movie)

I guarantee lucas wouldnt come back if he wasnt a vetaran. Obviously he wouldn't have any support either though. relevance or lack thereof was completely bypassed.

Not a fair comparison.

Hes relevant to smash anyway being in the last game :awesome:

Although i do think k rool and isaac are likely.

And if anyone dares to cite duck hunt for relavance think long and hard about who he is and when he was released.
if you dont get the hint think who made metroid prime and donkey kong country returns

He is NOT a counter argument for relevance

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom