• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
But they're no on-disc so...what are you trying to prove?

Also the SFxT DLC fiasco was WAY more than just from being on-disc. That was hardly the biggest issue. On-disc DLC sells a LOT (why else would they do it lol?) despite the backlash it gets from a minority, and the SFxT DLC was Capcom being anti-consumer beyond belief and they were not even trying to hide it. That was a completely stupid business move all together.
Man between the gems, the on disc DLC and the time outs, my favorite fighting game's scene was just killed, its such a good game but capcom killed it..

Cool Typhlosion

Smash Apprentice
Something I'm curious about . what if someone scanned a dlc amiibo on a copy of smash that didn't buy the dlc.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Something I'm curious about . what if someone scanned a dlc amiibo on a copy of smash that didn't buy the dlc.
Maybe you get a singular code that locks onto your Nintendo ID?

The Amiibo can be used like other amiibo to travel to other's games, but not necessarily unlock them?

This is spitballing, but you bring up a valid point. That'd be poor business for Nintendo otherwise.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
I doubt Toon Zelda would sell well.
Yeah, especially since most people would just go "UGH, a Zelda clone? She's already one of the worst characters in the game. Pass.". :p

If they want sales, they'll do fan-requested DLC like K.Rool and such. Maybe throw a massive curveball and plonk Geigerly/Classic-design Ridley in as DLC, but that's sadly unlikely.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I think every character has their own merits, so I'll download every character on principle.

I doubt I'll play them all, but hey, new characters are new characters~

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
But they're no on-disc so...what are you trying to prove?

Also the SFxT DLC fiasco was WAY more than just from being on-disc. That was hardly the biggest issue. On-disc DLC sells a LOT (why else would they do it lol?) despite the backlash it gets from a minority, and the SFxT DLC was Capcom being anti-consumer beyond belief and they were not even trying to hide it. That was a completely stupid business move all together.
I don't know what I was trying to prove. I just don't think Nintendo's going to add unpopular DLC characters for Smash when they're specifically asking us what characters we want, and when they're not going to add that many DLC characters to begin with. I know about all the BS Capcom pulled with SFXT, I remember how they said "well people hate it we we rerelease our games so we just put in a bunch of characters on the disc that you can buy for later". If you want a case for when unpopular DLC characters didn't sell well, there is the Zues and Isaac Clarke DLC for PlayStation All-Stars. A lot of people hated those characters getting added, (Zues for being another GoW character and being more of a Greek mythology character than a PlayStation one, Isaac Clarke for not being close to the PlayStation brand, and both for being obvious advertisements for upcoming games) and not many people bought them, and because of their bad sales the company stopped making DLC all together.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
The fact that Lucas is DLC should automatically kill the whole "relevance" argument.
I somewhat disagree. I think the relevance argument is dumb altogether anyway, but I'm damn near convinced Mother 3 localization is just around the corner.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
I don't know what I was trying to prove. I just don't think Nintendo's going to add unpopular DLC characters for Smash when they're specifically asking us what characters we want, and when they're not going to add that many DLC characters to begin with. I know about all the BS Capcom pulled with SFXT, I remember how they said "well people hate it we we rerelease our games so we just put in a bunch of characters on the disc that you can buy for later". If you want a case for when unpopular DLC characters didn't sell well, there is the Zues and Isaac Clarke DLC for PlayStation All-Stars. A lot of people hated those characters getting added, (Zues for being another GoW character and being more of a Greek mythology character than a PlayStation one, Isaac Clarke for not being close to the PlayStation brand, and both for being obvious advertisements for upcoming games) and not many people bought them, and because of their bad sales the company stopped making DLC all together.
I got that dlc free, that game is really fun but nobody gives it a chance cuz smash bros :/

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Am I the only one who hates the, "This character is deserving!" argument? Ugh. I hate it. Every character is arbitrarily deserving for arbitrary reasons. If you were truly "deserving" to get into Smash, why aren't you in there already?

If the reasons a character is "deserving" were so important, why didn't they get in over a character who "isn't deserving"? So K.Rool is completely deserving, yet Palutena, Shulk, and Greninja got in with not even close to the same amount of "deservingness"...it makes no sense and means nothing.

I love K.Rool too. I think he should be in, and I think he will be in if Sakurai and the dev team look at how many votes he gets. He'll get in because of his popularity and moveset potential. Not because he's "deserving" by fan standards. He's a long time villain and classic villain of a big name Nintendo franchise. Sure, that's a good quality. But if that didn't get him in yet, I think it's much less important than what he can do, and how many people want him.

I personally believe that the poll is going to show a few things. First, it's going to show stuff we already knew: Veterans will get a good amount of votes. So Wolf, Snake, arguably Ice Climbers...they'll all get a good amount of votes. Second, very popular newcomer choices. Your K.Rool, Banjo, Inklings, Isaac...probably will top the chart, possibly followed by Wonder Red.

Then it's going to come down to, why add this character over that one? What can they provide? Suddenly some fans think this ballot throws all the rules out the window on character speculation. If a character tops the charts and they're super boring, they probably still won't be added because they're always looking for diversity. Too often do I see people freaking out about how if a random character gets a good amount of votes, that character will get in. The other day somebody said Kratos from God of War. They have to have had a title on a Nintendo platform...so no. Kratos won't happen unless he suddenly is on a Nintendo platform. Same thing with Super Meat Boy.

On another topic, as much as people want say, Shovel Knight or Shantae, I just don't think Indie characters will happen. Again, Sakurai holds his 3rd Party choices to a high standard. We've got three video gaming legends in Sonic, Mega Man and Pac-Man. The next Third Party is...Shantae? That's a major leap. Obviously I'm biased towards Snake, but I could easily argue his and MGS's legacy in gaming.

Anyway, back to my original argument. While I firmly believe K.Rool is in, not every character is going to be picked simply because they are atop the ballot. There is no winner. This is a vote to see who people want as DLC and for future Smash titles. The standards we all know will still be in effect. Don't let the ballot hype cloud your judgment.
---

Now, based on what I've already said, I have a feeling we'll get something nice in regards to Smash Bros. at E3. That will be the next Nintendo Direct if I'm not mistaken. If Sakurai and the team have been working on further DLC already (which is a possibility, although I have no evidence to back that) we could see a newcomer at E3 to make hype just absolutely explode. Who do they reveal? I would say K.Rool, Inklings or Wolf. Wolf because he's a veteran, K.Rool because it would cause Crashboards to return from the grave, and Inklings just because I could totally see it happening.

Thoughts? (I always go on rants. Sheesh. Sorry)

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Am I the only one who hates the, "This character is deserving!" argument? Ugh. I hate it. Every character is arbitrarily deserving for arbitrary reasons. If you were truly "deserving" to get into Smash, why aren't you in there already?

If the reasons a character is "deserving" were so important, why didn't they get in over a character who "isn't deserving"? So K.Rool is completely deserving, yet Palutena, Shulk, and Greninja got in with not even close to the same amount of "deservingness"...it makes no sense and means nothing.

I love K.Rool too. I think he should be in, and I think he will be in if Sakurai and the dev team look at how many votes he gets. He'll get in because of his popularity and moveset potential. Not because he's "deserving" by fan standards. He's a long time villain and classic villain of a big name Nintendo franchise. Sure, that's a good quality. But if that didn't get him in yet, I think it's much less important than what he can do, and how many people want him.

I personally believe that the poll is going to show a few things. First, it's going to show stuff we already knew: Veterans will get a good amount of votes. So Wolf, Snake, arguably Ice Climbers...they'll all get a good amount of votes. Second, very popular newcomer choices. Your K.Rool, Banjo, Inklings, Isaac...probably will top the chart, possibly followed by Wonder Red.
I liked this post and unliked it just so I could like it again.

:3

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Then it's going to come down to, why add this character over that one? What can they provide? Suddenly some fans think this ballot throws all the rules out the window on character speculation. If a character tops the charts are they're super boring, they probably still won't be added because they're always looking for diversity. Too often do I see people freaking out about how if a random character gets a good amount of votes, that character will get in. The other day somebody said Kratos from God of War. They have to have had a title on a Nintendo platform...so no. Kratos won't happen unless he suddenly is on a Nintendo platform. Same thing with Super Meat Boy.

On another topic, as much as people want say, Shovel Knight or Shantae, I just don't think Indie characters will happen. Again, Sakurai holds his 3rd Party choices to a high standard. We've got three video gaming legends in Sonic, Mega Man and Pac-Man. The next Third Party is...Shantae? That's a major leap. Obviously I'm biased towards Snake, but I could easily argue his and MGS's legacy in gaming.

Anyway, back to my original argument. While I firmly believe K.Rool is in, not every character is going to be picked simply because they are atop the ballot. There is no winner. This is a vote to see who people want as DLC and for future Smash titles. The standards we all know will still be in effect. Don't let the ballot hype cloud your judgment.
---

Now, based on what I've already said, I have a feeling we'll get something nice in regards to Smash Bros. at E3. That will be the next Nintendo Direct if I'm not mistaken. If Sakurai and the team have been working on further DLC already (which is a possibility, although I have no evidence to back that) we could see a newcomer at E3 to make hype just absolutely explode. Who do they reveal? I would say K.Rool, Inklings or Wolf. Wolf because he's a veteran, K.Rool because it would cause Crashboards to return from the grave, and Inklings just because I could totally see it happening.

Thoughts? (I always go on rants. Sheesh. Sorry)
About the 'deserving' argument, the problem with that is this: Everyone considers the characters they want deserving enough, even if a kid wants Freddy Fazbear they'll say he's deserving, it's all bias

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
About the 'deserving' argument, the problem with that is this: Everyone considers the characters they want deserving enough, even if a kid wants Freddy Fazbear they'll say he's deserving, it's all bias
Exactly. That's why I think it's funny when people use it as an argument as to why their characters should get in, then suggest Sakurai looks at them that way too. I mean, you could argue he does. But at this point, if K.Rool were as deserving as people are suggesting and it were so important, why is he not in over some characters we have already? It's interesting.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Exactly. That's why I think it's funny when people use it as an argument as to why their characters should get in, then suggest Sakurai looks at them that way too. I mean, you could argue he does. But at this point, if K.Rool were as deserving as people are suggesting and it were so important, why is he not in over some characters we have already? It's interesting.
Sakurai doesn't seem to care about DK as proven by stage variety and characters, all of em are jungle themed and he said "We looked at games being worked on for characters" No Dixie for Tropical Freeze. Not to mention we have about 7 remixes of the same song

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Not really many people can cut their bias out of the equation and use factual evidence or empirically factual evidence to back up their claims, whether they want a character in or not.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I think every character has their own merits, so I'll download every character on principle.

I doubt I'll play them all, but hey, new characters are new characters~
I wonder if Nintendo will ever pull a Capcom and make Super Smash Bros. Deluxe for Wii U/3DS with all the DLC already included... :troll:

D

Deleted member

A good example is Waluigi, I like him but think he's too insignificant to be playable for now
He needs to make the full leap into Wario Land/WarioWare territory, in my perspective.

A shame that's unlikely to happen, given that Nintendo SPD 01 has a stigma against using characters/properties they didn't make themselves (which led to Wario's existence in the first place)....

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

I want Zael, but he isn't very important to Nintendo's history. In fact, I think Shulk is more important on top of being the more popular of the two.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
All I know is TOSE has a big part with the games (maybe develops them?)

Starfy is important in his own series. His series is not important enough.
It's relatively unknown but I wouldn't say it's not important enough. Especially when it has (I think 7) good games in the series. There have been quite a few characters quite lesser than him to get in the smash.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It's a puzzle as to why Starfy hasn't gotten a game since 2008. His debut in the west did pretty well, but now Nintendo has lost all momentum they could've rolled with from that and they'd basically have to re-introduce him at this point if he got another game.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
It's a puzzle as to why Starfy hasn't gotten a game since 2008. His debut in the west did pretty well, but now Nintendo has lost all momentum they could've rolled with from that and they'd basically have to re-introduce him at this point if he got another game.
Might be due to filthy casuals thinking it's a Kiry knock-off, especially as Starfy has transformations
I'd like some ports of his old stuff tbh.
POOP MEDALLION LOCALIZATION PLZ

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'd like some ports of his old stuff tbh.
They wouldn't be too hard to translate and put up on the VC... but I doubt it will happen outside Japan. :/

Might be due to filthy casuals thinking it's a Kiry knock-off, especially as Starfy has transformations
Who cares what they think as long as they buy the game, which they did.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I wonder if Nintendo will ever pull a Capcom and make Super Smash Bros. Deluxe for Wii U/3DS with all the DLC already included... :troll:
Or even worse: Go the Sumo Digital route and give us mostly unwanted third party and second party characters complete with charity DLC for a YouTube channel. :troll:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
All I know is TOSE has a big part with the games (maybe develops them?)

It's relatively unknown but I wouldn't say it's not important enough. Especially when it has (I think 7) good games in the series. There have been quite a few characters quite lesser than him to get in the smash.
Five games. The West got Starfy 5. Still, it is disappointing that the series ended in 2008.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Definitely agree with @ Scoliosis Jones Scoliosis Jones , with the one exception of the "if they deserved Smash, why aren't they already there?" Because even if a character has a ton of potential, Sakurai makes the final call, and he's not some omniscient judge of potential.

This is why the ballot is a good thing...enough fans citing a source of character potential he overlooked could cause him to revisit characters he may have previously written off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom