• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

?????????????

Smash Master
I just think that if Palutena fails to get in, then it won't exactly fair better for other characters in the same series.

But if she doesn't make it in, it won't be because she doesn't engage in hand to hand combat in Kid Icarus. More likely will have to do with avoiding bias with Sakurai, which as proven in previous interviews it's something he can perfectly do, and is the reason why any other Kirby characters were held off until Brawl.
That's fine. I don't think her role holds her back, I just think it's reasonable to have someone other than Palutena because more combat-focused characters exist in the Kid Icarus world.

~Pizza dude, it doesn't bother me that Kid Icarus uses mythological characters, as that is their selected setting. Mostly, it would kind of weird me out seeing them represented in a "Nintendo's All-Stars" game like Smash. They aren't really your all stars to begin with... they're thousands of years old and being repurposed.
Isn't Pit already "Kid Icarus"?

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
That's fine. I don't think her role holds her back, I just think it's reasonable to have someone other than Palutena because more combat-focused characters exist in the Kid Icarus world.

Isn't Pit already "Kid Icarus"?
No, he isn't. It's just a stupid English name they chose for the title...
"Oh, he has wings, and it's Greekish! Icarus! And he's small so we'll throw on 'Kid' so children can relate!"
"No, I see where you're coming from, but this dude's an angel named Pit, not really related to Icar--"
"DONE AND DECIDED, send it to production!"

Icarus is a human who was given technological wings by his Dad... and didn't really live past that. He isn't a divine cherubic character like Pit, the only real similarity being that they both have wings.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Pit is supposed to be a hybrid of several mythological figures.

Eros, Icarus, and Perseus.

You can actually see references to all three within subtle details.

?????????????

Smash Master
Isn't Palutena based off of Athena?

The whole "Being able to fight" argument is honestly worse than the "Too big" argument.
Just to clarify, that wasn't my argument, and I don't think anyone has brought that argument up.

Last edited:

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer

I hear Palutena is modeled after Narcissus.

You know, given the Japanese name of Palutena's Mirror for the series, and all.

And Magnus is based on Hermaphrodite.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
The whole "Being able to fight" argument is honestly worse than the "Too big" argument.
It would only hold water if we never got examples contradicting that notion.

Any argument can. The only ones that would theoretically work is it we never got any contradictions in the way.

?????????????

Smash Master
Theoretically, couldn't one hold an argument that Ridley won't be playable in SSB4 since he has never been playable in SSB before, and the only contradiction to that would be if Ridley was made playable in SSB4?

...Actually, I think I've heard that argument.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Like I mentioned in the last page, it could make sense for some characters, but just not so much for someone like Palutena. She doesn't usually fight, but her fighting is still actually plausible.

Characters like Toadsworth and Link's Grandma? Not so much.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
Theoretically, couldn't one hold an argument that Ridley won't be playable in SSB4 since he has never been playable in SSB before, and the only contradiction to that would be if Ridley was made playable in SSB4?

That... that doesn't even make any sense?! All newcomers confirmed for scrapped?! :laugh:

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion

No Hermes? I always thought of him as kind of Hermish.

Yeah, Palutena's sort of based off of Athena... but, I mean, mostly in the sense that she's wise, female, and Greek. They definitely are all fair game for Smash, but it doesn't mean that I don't wish they did something different with it.
It's speculated that her name is derived from "Pallas Athena", one of the ways the goddess used to be called.

@ Sehnsucht Sehnsucht I didn't realize until now that the word "hermaphrodite" is based off of Greek mythology. That's kinda cool, actually.

So: I think we're on the whole agreed. If KI gets only one other character, it'll probably be Palutena, but it's not impossible that it would be someone else?

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

That does sound familiar... Maybe it was something along the lines of "Ridley was never planned for Super Smash Bros., so why would he be in now?"

Well, I guess Villager is out of the question.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings

That wouldn't work, considering, again, we have examples of characters being promoted.

For example going by Brawl, we have stuff like Wario, Pit, Meta Knight, and King Dedede, who were all trophies in Melee.

Last edited:

?????????????

Smash Master
That wouldn't work, considering, again, we have examples of characters being promoted.

Fro example going by Brawl, we have stuff like Wario, Pit, Meta Knight, and King Dedede, who were all trophies in Melee.
Ooh, I'm going to use that. Not that it will stop Ridley haters from making up another dumb reason he's impossible.

We also have Mac, who went up from Assist Trophy, and Charizard, who went up from Pokeball Pokemon.

Last edited:

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
@ Dinoman96 Dinoman96
Now that, I did remember.

...I guess I felt like the fact Palutena isn't physically there makes a difference. Zelda and Palutena do play very similar roles, but Palutena is able to help Pit without the need of being on the actual battlefield (unlike Zelda). And we already see this in SSB with Pit's Final Smash.

So again, while I do agree Palutena is the obvious second Kid Icarus character, I still stand by the opinion that an alternative character, like Medusa or Hades, as characters we do see on the actual battlefield of Kid Icarus games, are acceptable alternative characters.

If the Kid Icarus games offer us a plethora of characters who like to fight, why is the obvious choice for SSB the one who doesn't?
I find the best way to look at Palutena is through her popularity as a potential candidate. For one reason or another (For the sake of this response, let's ignore those reasons), she is one of the most popular. It would be quite insulting to the many that support her to not only not get the most popular choice, but get another character. Sakurai wanting to not look like he's biased is one thing, but getting Medusa, Dark Pit, what-have-you shows that it wasn't bias at all. Not getting Palutena while getting somebody else would be a big slap to the face to her large amount of supporters. While that could be said about any character getting in and another not getting in, this is different. Because Palutena is that popular, while most of the other Kid Icarus characters aren't by comparison. Heck, I mostly support her because I know a lot of people do. I want to see them happy. That and I think she could be very interesting moveset-wise.
That's why I think it would be, this is a harsh word but I can't think of a better one, unacceptable. As a Ridley supporter I can sympathize with her supporters in the above regard. It'd be like getting another Metroid character instead of Ridley, who is unarguably the most popular choice.

Smash4 confirmed to have no newcomers.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Isn't Palutena based off of Athena?
Yep, which would explain her relationship with Medusa. Unlike Athena though, Palutena loves to troll.

I know I have, it's still used from time to time on other forums despite how many counterexamples exists that are either playable (Little Mac, Charizard) or wanted (pretty much any other newcomer).

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

?????????????

Smash Master
I find the best way to look at Palutena is through her popularity as a potential candidate. For one reason or another (For the sake of this response, let's ignore those reasons), she is one of the most popular. It would be quite insulting to the many that support her to not only not get the most popular choice, but get another character. Sakurai wanting to not look like he's biased is one thing, but getting Medusa, Dark Pit, what-have-you shows that it wasn't bias at all. Not getting Palutena while getting somebody else would be a big slap to the face to her large amount of supporters. While that could be said about any character getting in and another not getting in, this is different. Because Palutena is that popular, while most of the other Kid Icarus characters aren't by comparison. Heck, I mostly support her because I know a lot of people do. I want to see them happy. That and I think she could be very interesting moveset-wise.
That's why I think it would be, this is a harsh word but I can't think of a better one, unacceptable. As a Ridley supporter I can sympathize with her supporters in the above regard. It'd be like getting another Metroid character instead of Ridley, who is unarguably the most popular choice.
Huh, I guess so.

I guess I felt like there were characters in Kid Icarus who are important enough to be in SSB when compared to Palutena, whereas Ridley doesn't have anything close to that.

I didn't realize Palutena was that popular. But I get reminded of that reeeeeeal quick on this forum.

Manny Toons

Smash Journeyman
When you looked at Rosalina before her reveal, she wasn't that interesting either.
Precisely. The limitations of our own imaginations are not set in stone, so a subjective statement like "this specific character would be boring" is simply not a fact. Any of those three can be made just as interesting, if not more interesting than Rosalina.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Precisely. The limitations of our own imaginations are not set in stone, so a subjective statement like "this specific character would be boring" is simply not a fact. Any of those three can be made just as interesting, if not more interesting than Rosalina.
I think it has to do with people thinking too strictly with staying in character and staying in canon. The part people are however failing to realize is that Super Smash Bros. does not play by the same rules as the original series, as such you cannot stay with the same mind set. Hence why I try to encourage people to think from the design of a game designer, where you're presented with a character and you basically have to give it them a playstyle using conventions of design.

Last edited:

shrooby

BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Huh, I guess so.

I guess I felt like there were characters in Kid Icarus who are important enough to be in SSB when compared to Palutena, whereas Ridley doesn't have anything close to that.

I didn't realize Palutena was that popular. But I get reminded of that reeeeeeal quick on this forum.
Certainly, I can agree with that. I think as far as importance goes Medusa could easily get over her.
But, then, importance isn't the only factor. Ridley may be pretty much unarguably the second most important character in Metroid, and that may correlate with his what I see as very high likelihood, but what more so makes him such as strong candidate is his popularity which may or may not be a result of that. And that's what would make getting any another Metroid character all the more insulting. Not just because it would completely ignore his importance, but because it would also be completely ignoring his popularity.
While Palutena's situation is only somewhat comparable, it still is comparable. I didn't mean to sound like I was trying to shove her popularity down your throat or anything! I suppose main point I was more-so trying to get across was that, as far as Kid Icarus exclusively goes, she is the most popular. While she is fairly popular in general, the fact that she's the most popular KI character by quite a margin is what speaks more, at least in the context of potentially getting other characters from that franchise instead of her. That's where the similarities to Ridley come into play I believe.

That's workable.

But you know...

Melee didn't have stickers. :awesome:
Back then Diddy was irrelevant. OLD NEWS
He wouldn't've gotten a sticker either. :troll:

But not as worse as "Impossible 'cause he/she's a god/goddess".
Ridley deconfirmed for being Cunning God of Death.

Last edited:

?????????????

Smash Master
Certainly, I can agree with that. I think as far as importance goes Medusa could easily get over her.
But, then, importance isn't the only factor. Ridley may be pretty much unarguably the second most important character in Metroid, and that may correlate with his what I see as very high likelihood, but what more so makes him such as strong candidate is his popularity which may or may not be a result of that. And that's what would make getting any another Metroid character all the more insulting. Not just because it would completely ignore his importance, but because it would also be completely ignoring his popularity.
While Palutena's situation is only somewhat comparable, it still is comparable. I didn't mean to sound like I was trying to shove her popularity down your throat or anything! I suppose main point I was more-so trying to get across was that, as far as Kid Icarus exclusively goes, she is the most popular. While she is fairly popular in general, the fact that she's the most popular KI character by quite a margin is what speaks more, at least in the context of potentially getting other characters from that franchise instead of her. That's where the similarities to Ridley come into play I believe.
Don't worry, no one's shoving her popularity down my throat. This makes perfect sense to me.

shrooby

BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
wait was that your blue text

blue really doesnt go well on this dark skin

So are people looking into trophies? Really? I'll give some sound advice: Don't. You're looking FAR too deep.
We're digging to deep? Yeah, well, we're quite fond of this world where K. Rool has an identical twin pirate brother and where Baby Mario doesn't wear overalls, so you can just go back to your own little world of apparently significant details. Just don't come back after we call the inevitable K. Rool-Captain K. Rool tag team. Which of course could only happen if you take into consideration the undeniable fact, as said in K. Rool's 100% crafted by Sakurai himself trophy description, that they are two different beings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom