• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
That wouldn't work, considering, again, we have examples of characters being promoted.

For example going by Brawl, we have stuff like Wario, Pit, Meta Knight, and King Dedede, who were all trophies in Melee.
King K Rool, Sothe, Shadow the Hedgehog, Knuckle Joe, and especially, DIHSO all had trophies in Brawl. Midna had two trophies in Brawl.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Made an alternate, vertically aligned version of my roster for comparison.

And the horizontal one.

Which one looks better?

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
The only problem I notice is Krystal, and maybe Lip.

Asthetic-wise, I think Bowser should be before Rosalina.
What do Krystal or Lip have to do with the alignment of the roster?

I put Bowser after Rosalina because the good guys should go before the bad guys.

This stuff, but it's not the Krystal in herself that is the problem, but the fact that Starfox, in my opinion, shouldn't be getting four characters.
I bet you thought Mother shouldn't have gotten a second character too. Not to put down anyone's opinions, but I think it's BS that "certain franchises shouldn't have more characters." Don't look at the series symbol, look at the character. Krystal brings a lot to the table as a unique character, in a similar way to Rosalina.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Made an alternate, vertically aligned version of my roster for comparison.

And the horizontal one.

Which one looks better?
I would pick Vertical, then you can swap Villager, Miss Fit, and Shulk with Ice Climbers, Takumaru and Lip so that all the retro's are sort of together (except Kid Icarus, I count them and Mac as still somewhat retro.)

Oh and I agree on the points made above my post concerning Krystal and Rosalina before Bowser.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I bet you thought Mother shouldn't have gotten a second character too.
Yeah, I did, because it has three (overrated) games and is a dead franchise. I'm all for lesser franchises being represented, but Mother, which is dead and in the ground, has as many characters as Donkey Kong (which is huge) and Metroid (which is also huge), which is stupid.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I would pick Vertical, then you can swap Villager, Miss Fit, and Shulk with Ice Climbers, Takumaru and Lip so that all the retro's are sort of together (except Kid Icarus, I count them and Mac as still somewhat retro.)
Takamaru is with Zelda, Metroid, and Kid Icarus as the four are sibling franchises. Ice Climbers are there because there was nowhere else to put them, and they were there in Brawl. Lip isn't retro, so it makes no sense to put her with them, she's with Kirby because of the similar "cutesy" vibe. Little Mac isn't retro either, the only retros on that row are G&W and ROB, who are more there because it's just a misc section. So there really isn't a retro section at all on here.

Yeah, I did, because it has three (overrated) games and is a dead franchise. I'm all for lesser franchises being represented, but Mother, which is dead and in the ground, has as many characters as Donkey Kong (which is huge) and Metroid (which is also huge), which is stupid.
Depends on your definition of "overrated." I don't even like turn based RPG's in general, yet I loved EarthBound. The point is, series size has nothing to do with who makes it as a character in Smash, otherwise we'd have ten bland Mario characters, half of the roster being Pokemon, and almost none of the single character franchises being represented at all. I just feel like the "this series isn't big enough for x amount of characters" is as stupid as the "Ridley is too big" argument. If a character has their own merits, unique moveset potential, and decent fan pull, being from a small franchise shouldn't keep them from getting in.

I could've sworn that Ganondorf was a bad guy, but I guess Toon Link outranks him in that aspect.

Just look at those huge, emontionless eyes.... Clearly he's pure evil.
Yeah, he's terrifying. :troll:

Toon Link only gets out of that because:
WW being a different style of game, with Tink just being an extra in Smash.
The Triforce trio should be together, regardless.
It was like that in Brawl.

Toon Link is a bit of an oddball in the first place, it'd be like Mario > Luigi > Dr. Mario >Peach. Just a strange way to organize it.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I could've sworn that Ganondorf was a bad guy, but I guess Toon Link outranks him in that aspect.

Just look at those huge, emotionless eyes.... Clearly he's pure evil.
Well he did manage to get the Zelda fanbase all rustled when he first got revealed..... Looks at Wind Wakers initial reveal....

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Miss me anyone? :p
I don't think that Mother deserves 2 characters, as it is a very small and "dead" franchise that hasn't sold many copies and has the same representation as major Nintendo franchises (such as DK or Metroid, like you mentioned).
That being said I wouldn't call Earthbound or Mother 3 overrated, as they are really good games. Some consider them underrated actually, I'd put them in the more overrated underrated games category, which evens it out.
And I'm also a bit hypocritical because I think Kid Icarus deserves 2 characters, but I have my reasons. ;)

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
While it is true that franchises can have more characters then their popularity/sales entails, it should also be noted that Sakurai did say he doesn't want to overrep different franchises and in terms of the series many do feel that it's adequately repped with the current roster it has. Even when in consideration of her own merits to justify that fourth slot, she still does tend to get overlooked for other series and characters that people feel bring just as much if not more then her.

That's not to say that Star Fox can't have four reps, but at the same time there is reason to believe that it may just as well not.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Depends on your definition of "overrated." I don't even like turn based RPG's in general, yet I loved EarthBound. The point is, series size has nothing to do with who makes it as a character in Smash, otherwise we'd have ten bland Mario characters, half of the roster being Pokemon, and almost none of the single character franchises being represented at all. I just feel like the "this series isn't big enough for x amount of characters" is as stupid as the "Ridley is too big" argument. If a character has their own merits, unique moveset potential, and decent fan pull, being from a small franchise shouldn't keep them from getting in.
...While that bolded part is not the actual situation of the roster, you might notice that Mario, Pokemon, and Zelda have the most characters of any franchise, while the smaller series have less. So I would argue that series size does have an influence on which series gets more characters.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
You're talking to James.
Come on.
I know.

We have the same roster taste tho... except for one exception. bandanna dee.

Well i'm not gonna brigade it up in here, just wanted to reply since that roster looks pretty dang good, props if he actually made it himself.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Miss me anyone? :p
I don't think that Mother deserves 2 characters, as it is a very small and "dead" franchise that hasn't sold many copies and has the same representation as major Nintendo franchises (such as DK or Metroid, like you mentioned).
That being said I wouldn't call Earthbound or Mother 3 overrated, as they are really good games. Some consider them underrated actually, I'd put them in the more overrated underrated games category, which evens it out.
And I'm also a bit hypocritical because I think Kid Icarus deserves 2 characters, but I have my reasons. ;)
I did miss you, actually. :(

I agree with this. Lucas pretty much got in because Sakurai pitied his game (to be fair though, it did deserve some sympathy)
Still, if we get another Mother rep, like Porky, we'd better already have Ridley, Dark Samus (who's been in as many games as there are total Mother games) King. K Rool and Dixie.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Personally, I wouldn't complain AT ALL if we got Porky as a third Mother rep, but he's possibly the only character I would accept.
I don't even want Lucas believe it or not but I'm stuck with him.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
I agree with this. Lucas pretty much got in because Sakurai pitied his game (to be fair though, it did deserve some sympathy)
No, Lucas pretty much got in because he's the latest Mother series protagonist.

Ness, or rather his fans, were the ones he pitied. The reason Mother has two reps is because Sakurai decided not to cut Ness due to western players being unfamiliar with Lucas.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
...While that bolded part is not the actual situation of the roster, you might notice that Mario, Pokemon, and Zelda have the most characters of any franchise, while the smaller series have less. So I would argue that series size does have an influence on which series gets more characters.
Metroid and DK still only had one character in Melee and only two characters in Brawl, despite being big franchises. Yes, there is some influence, but it ultimately doesn't mean that smaller franchises "don't deserve" more characters. There are no good reasons for anyone to put down Krystal, all they have to offer is "Star Fox has too many characters" or just blatant furry hate (not from anyone here, mind you). Sakurai hadn't known Krystal was a well supported character during Brawl times, so the "she would have been added before" argument is null as well. It just seems that, as Sakurai knows about her support now, she has a chance to join.
Plus he's biased towards Star Fox.

Bandanna dee for lip and its perfect.
We have the same roster taste tho... except for one exception. bandanna dee.

Well i'm not gonna brigade it up in here, just wanted to reply since that roster looks pretty dang good, props if he actually made it himself.
Just like everyone else is in the "no Krystal" camp, I'm in the "no Bandana" camp. Not that I don't like him, I just feel Kirby is perfect as is, like others seem to feel towards Star Fox. Though Sakurai doesn't like overrepping his own franchise, so I highly doubt we'd get anyone else in the first place since we already have the three main characters. I don't get why everyone needs to put down Lip either, don't you all like the surprise "retro" characters? She deserves the spot, at least.

And yes, I did make it myself. I made it from scratch, besides the character art and the logos obviously. Thanks for the props. :shades:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
No, Lucas pretty much got in because he's the latest Mother series protagonist.

Ness, or rather his fans, were the ones he pitied. The reason Mother has two reps is because Sakurai decided not to cut Ness due to western players being unfamiliar with Lucas.
That would've been true in Melee. But there's no way they would've replaced Ness with Lucas in Brawl - not only because he was a Smash staple, but also because Mother 3 was far from prominent at that point.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Metroid and DK still only had one character in Melee and only two characters in Brawl, despite being big franchises. Yes, there is some influence, but it ultimately doesn't mean that smaller franchises "don't deserve" more characters. There are no good reasons for anyone to put down Krystal, all they have to offer is "Star Fox has too many characters" or just blatant furry hate (not from anyone here, mind you). Sakurai hadn't known Krystal was a well supported character during Brawl times, so the "she would have been added before" argument is null as well. It just seems that, as Sakurai knows about her support now, she has a chance to join.
Plus he's biased towards Star Fox.

Just like everyone else is in the "no Krystal" camp, I'm in the "no Bandana" camp. Not that I don't like him, I just feel Kirby is perfect as is, like others seem to feel towards Star Fox. Though Sakurai doesn't like overrepping his own franchise, so I highly doubt we'd get anyone else in the first place since we already have the three main characters. I don't get why everyone needs to put down Lip either, don't you all like the surprise "retro" characters? She deserves the spot, at least.

And yes, I did make it myself. I made it from scratch, besides the character art and the logos obviously. Thanks for the props. :shades:
I'm not bluepikmin, I feel like takamaru is enough.

Well i'm not gonna argue this, tho I respect your thoughts.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I personally think that Kirby AND Star Fox are near perfect as is. I wouldn't complain about either Dee or Krystal: in fact I would be very happy.

As for retros I would be happy with 2 new ones since there are so many great potential candidates.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I'll have a go at this. First, 50 characters is pretty good.

• You have Chunky Kong. I would assume the DK newcomer would be one or both of Dixie and K. Rool, and then Cranky. Chunky does not even compete to those three.
  • I doubt that Sheik and Zelda will be separated, they haven't since their debut, so it will most likely stay the same if both return.
  • Young Link would be pretty redundant, having three forms of Link on the roster that will most likely stay the same moveset-wise. Not to mention Toon Link replaced Young Link so it'd be questionable why he's there. Then again, a Zelda newcomer in general is pretty unlikely IMO, we have the characters we need for that series.
  • Replacing Pokemon Trainer with the Johto Trainer does not make sense. Getting rid of the first protagonist with the some of the most iconic Pokemon is nonsensical. They will not get rid of Charizard, they would never do that.
  • I don't have that much of an opinion on Black Shadow, but I'm pretty fine with him being in.
  • Fire Emblem. I assume they will be having more content from Awakening (most likely in the form of a playable character). I feel as if Lyn missed her chance but she's plausible, as is Roy. But I feel as if the likes of Chrom, Lucina, and/or Robin will get in before them, or at least before Lyn. Roy is still popular. And I also think a 4th FE character is as necessary as, say, 4 DK characters, a 2nd KI character, and especially a 2nd Metroid character. Then again, reps and whatnot. Still, having 4 FE reps and 1 Metroid (ZSS is debatable) and KI rep is unsettling to say the least.
  • Waluigi ain't a Wario character. Sakurai has already given his decision on what Franchise Waluigi belongs in, and that's Mario. Not saying Waluigi is a bad choice, but as a Wario rep, NO. (I also kinda belive that Mario doesn't need any more characters).
  • Why Male Wii Fit Trainer? Why does that make sense as his own character, especially when he's already been shown off on the site, he would've had a page up.
  • Felix and Andy... I don't even know who Felix is. But yeah, put Little Mac in there! Replace Felix with the Big Mac. As for Andy, someone like Shulk, the Miis, or a rep like Lip or Takamaru will get in before him.
  • You already have Goku as your "dream choice". So yeah.
Now your cuts are Lucas and R.O.B. Despite loving him, I can kinda understand Lucas being cut, but R.O.B. has no reason to leave. At all. It's the same when people were cutting G&W pre-Brawl. The excuse people have for cutting R.O.B. would've kept him out of Brawl.

Overall, could use some work (unless this is a dream roster, if it was then I wasted both of our times). Welcome to the forums by the way.
This was sort of a mix between a dream roster and a speculation roster.

- Just someone I would like to see. DK64 was one of my favorite childhood games.
- I meant for them to be the same character.
- Young Link can be an alt for Toon Link. After all, there is no OoT related characters in Smash 4 so far.
- It was just a thought that crossed my mind. If they roll with the Kanto trainer, that would be just dandy.
- I'm not sure if Awakening was really that popular. And besides, The FE characters in my roster are much more iconic than the Awakening ones. And beside's, ROY'S OUR BOY! ROY'S OUR BOY! ROY'S OUR BOY!
- Well i'll put him as a Mario character when I make my next roster. He deserves to get in IMO.
- Same thing with Zelda/Sheik, I meant to make them the same character but I don't think their was an option for that.
- Felix (like Isaac) is from Golden Sun (the second game to be specific). Golden Sun and Advance Wars are my favorite GBA games so having these guys in would be really something. I don't even know who Shulk and Takamaru is lol. The Mii's can easily get in (In fact, i'll put them in my next roster). I forgot to put LM in this roster, will definatly get in next time.
- If only the "all characters must be a video game character" rule didn't exist, Goku would have probably been in Smash by now. I've been wanting him in Smash ever since the SSB64 days lol.

I cut those 2 characters because I don't really care about them. If they wind up coming back to SSB4, that would be just fine.

Thanks! I've been here for some time now.

@
Chandelure No, it's sorta a mix between a dream roster and a speculation roster.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I'm not bluepikmin, I feel like takamaru is enough.
Not sure I get what you mean by this, you don't think we'll get two retros? Lip isn't a retro though, hence the quotation marks before. Takamaru is the only true retro on my roster.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
That would've been true in Melee. But there's no way they would've replaced Ness with Lucas in Brawl - not only because he was a Smash staple, but also because Mother 3 was far from prominent at that point.
Nope, Sakurai said that in an interview. Ness got to stay because Mother 3 wasn't released outside Japan.

Also, far from prominent? It was released right around the time Brawl began development.

Last edited:

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Not sure I get what you mean by this, you don't think we'll get two retros? Lip isn't a retro though, hence the quotation marks before. Takamaru is the only true retro on my roster.
Yes.

and I meant, that I feel like lip will miss the cut, but that's my own opinion though.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Yes.

and I meant, that I feel like lip will miss the cut, but that's my own opinion though.
Well, we can't all like Lip, and that's fine.

In any case, I'm glad you think my roster is *almost* perfect. And with your comment from before, that's an even 1-1 for vertical to horizontal.

Anyone else? I'll only stick with one in the end, so which one looked better? Also, any other comments on the aesthetics (the border around it, the player boxes, etc.) are appreciated, I need to know what I can improve. Not character-wise though, I feel that I've reached the right balance for now.

Eight Melodies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DestroyerGiygas
If I don't see Captain Falcon next then I will falcon punch the moon and cause one of the pieces of it to fall on Sakurai's office

Ixbran

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
4549 - 7836 - 2775
I posted this a while back, but I didnt really get any responses or opinions on it, so if it's alright, i'm going to re-post it.

Anyway, I made this roster in the hopes they manage to bring everyone from Brawl back in Smash.4, so it contains the entire Brawl Cast, with a series of new characters, and one returning character.

Returning Character(s)
Mewtwo: I am adding him too this list due too the fact that, well, everyone seems to want him back. And even though I my self never used the character, I would like for Mewtwo to return for the sake of making the fans of the character happy. Not a personal add for my self, but for the sake of those who do want him.

New Character(s)
Villager: already confirmed
Wii Fit Trainer: already confirmed
Mega Man: already confirmed
Rosalina (+ Luma): already confirmed
Little Mac: already confirmed

Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ = Personal Wants

Dixie Kong: I'll be honest when I say I am NOT a fan of the "Blond Haired in Pink" archetype when it comes to female characters. I absolutely detest and loath it, to the point I usually hate female characters on the spot if they fit this archetype, since its been done so many ****ing times. However, I can't hate Dixie for being in this archetype, for the same reason I cant hate Peach for being in it, or Maria (Castlevania) for being in it. They actually manage to pull it off in a way that's not annoying, and are actually fairly cute. That said I am not the bigest fan of the DK Games, my favorite was the 64 version, and that game didn't even have Dixie in it. I want her in, mostly for the same reasons I want Mewtwo in, for the sake of making her fans happy.

Ray: I'll be honest when I say I have no idea who he is, how he will play, or if he would fit. But I will say he was one of my favorite Assist Trophies in Brawl, and would love to see him get the Little Mac treatment of being upgraded from Assist to Player. Not to mention robots are cool, I love robots. If I could, I'd probably put a Transformer on this list, buuuuut that is as likely as Mario or Link being in a game on a PS4/Xbone game. Hes here cus I <3 Robots.

Vaati: Again, as with Ray, I never played any of the games hes from. However I like to think hes a strong contender because I think we need more than one Toon Zelda Character rep. Toon Link being the only Legend of Zelda character to use that art style makes him stick out, and then him being a clone makes it only worse. So I feel a second Toon Representative is necessary, but rather than bringing in a Toon version of a pre-existing character that's already in Smash (Toon Zelda/Toon Sheik-Tetra, or Toon Ganondorf) why not someone who can be considered somewhat iconic, while still being something new too the table? Vaat would be a wonderful Toon character addition, while still bringing something new, as well as adding a new playable villain too the Smash Bros. series.

Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Palutena: I'll be honest, I did not care much for Palutena, not until the Palutena Leaks were shown online. After I saw the images I went to do some research on her, because she seemed interesting. Thats when I fell in love with her character. I found the Palutenas Revolting Dinner short, and couldn't stop grinning like an idiot. I fell in love with her personality, and hope she gets in based on that. She's become one of the top 3 I want added.

Hades: I can see him getting in soly because of the "This Game Needs More Villains" issue, that, and I think he looks pretty interesting. I've never played the KI games so I don't know much about him, but more villains never hurt anyone, right? That and with him and Palutena possibly being added, it follows the pattern of the LoZ Characters: Hero, Partner, Villain.

Ridley: I want Ridley in for the same reason I want Mewtwo in, to appease his fan base, and that he actually seems like he would be an interesting add too the game. And hes a dinosaur, people like dinosaurs, and hes purple, I like purple. xD That's ... really all I have to say on him, sorry.

Krystal: She seems like a logical choice too me. She adds new female character too the cast, which never hurts to have more of. She has a chance to bring a poll-arm fighter too the series, which will help to distinguish her from the rest of the SF characters. I dunno, I just like her, and would like to see her in, though shes not one of my personal wants.

Lyn: I do not want Chrom, at all. Take note, I've never played an FE game, but from what I've been told and read, Chrom is a descendant of Marth, and even use the same sword as he does. That just screams clone too me. If he gets in I feel he would bring nothing new too the series, at all. At least with Lyn, we have a chance at adding someone new with a new fighting style. Based on her Assist Trophy attack, she uses the quick-draw fighting style with her Katana. You know, always keeping it sheathed, and pulling it out with powerful attacks. I would love to see her fighting with beating people over the head with her sheathed sword, and only pulling it out with her special attacks, smash attacks, and Final Smash. and Like Little Mac, and Ray mentioned before, I feel she deserves to be upgraded from Assist to Player.

Shulk: I've never played Xenoblade, but I intend too when I can find it. That said, based on his design alone, I'd like to see him get in. xD And that's really my only reasons for wanting him in, lame, i know, and for that I Apologize.

Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Takamaru: I f***ing love this character. I was introduced too him via the Wii version of Samurai Warriors 3. I love his design, his fighting style, his abilities in SW3. And then, after reading up more on him, I came to love the abilities he had in his own game that weren't in SW3. I also love his personality, as portrayed in SW3; a noble warrior who puts the lives of others before him self, as well as respecting anyone who protects those who can not protect them selves. I want to pick up and play as him in SW3 as I type this.

Mii + Pac-Man: I am adding them too the list mainly because of the pre-E3 2013 leak that announced them, along side Mac, Mega, Villager, and WFT. So far 4 of the 6 that were named have gotten in, and these two are, in my eyes, a shoe-in, and that their announcement is only a matter of time. I don't care much for Pac-Man, I didn't grow up playing his games, but with Namco helping with the development of Smash.4, it does increase his chances, if only by a bit. However I am fond of the idea of Mii's getting in. If only because I'd imagine they would register WiiU/3DS owners personal Mii for the appearance of the Mii in the game, and I would love that.

Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Bayonetta: I know she has very little chance, like, zero to nothing. But I can't help but still want her in. I loved the first game and am soooo excited for the second one, Bayo2 and Smash.4 were my main reasons for getting a Wii U in the first place. I can't help but love everything about her; her personality, her abilities, her design just ... her everything! She screams fabulousety too the N'th Degree. I mean with Bayo 2 being Wii U exclusive due too nintendo funding, the fact that Hideki wants to make a Spin off Bayo title for the 3DS, and the talks of possibly bringing the first game to the Wii U, the Bayonetta series has a bright future with Nintendo. And I would love to see that be represented with her getting into Smash as a 3rd Party Rep for Platinum Games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom