• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

?????????????

Smash Master
I like Hades too. Given the choice purely from a "who would I like to play as" standpoint, I'd go with Hades, but I'd give that Medusa is a more important character overall.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
IF Palutena ended up being an AT, and it was revealed, who do you think would be the second character from the series?
Probably Medusa, makes the most sense to me. Though Magnus could end up being picked. A bit less likely though.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
IF Palutena ended up being an AT, and it was revealed, who do you think would be the second character from the series?
Probably Medusa, but I seriously doubt that we'd get any Kid Icarus character before Palutena.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
No one. If the second main character of the series can't get in, no way any lesser character would get in. Same exact thing with Ridley and Metroid.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

My apologies, I'm afraid I'm part of the group that doesn't want Bandana Dee playable. I just don't think he quite deserves the spot on the roster.

...Not sure why this is in spoilers...

Last edited:

?????????????

Smash Master
No one. If the second main character of the series can't get in, no way any lesser character would get in. Same exact thing with Ridley and Metroid.
Given Palutena's role in the Kid Icarus series, I'd be okay with someone else getting the spot. Yes, she is the secondary character, and yes, we know she has abilities that allow her to fight...but her role in the games is either as a damsel in distress, or as a guide for Pit.

Having a character like Medusa, Hades, or even Magnus, who take a more prominent role in fighting, makes enough sense to me.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
Stylized, Organized Diddy Update 2 Roster.png

Hey, look, listen! Nice shiny Prediction Roster! (The Diddy Update)
Differences from Previous Version:
-Organization is much better, IE: Vertical Star Fox
-Tetra was removed.
-ZSS and Sheik are not visible due to icon constraints but they are indeed on the roster.
-Pac-Man was added then replaced by R.O.B.
-3 Cuts, 49 Movesets and 45 Slots.
Critique and Roast at will!

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Given Palutena's role in the Kid Icarus series, I'd be okay with someone else getting the spot. Yes, she is the secondary character, and yes, we know she has abilities that allow her to fight...but her role in the games is either as a damsel in distress, or as a guide for Pit.
Zelda and Peach confirmed for scrapped.

Dinoman96

Smash Master

Having a character like Medusa, Hades, or even Magnus, who take a more prominent role in fighting, makes enough sense to me.
Problem is, it's silly to have characters like Hades or Magnus who have only been in one game, while leaving out the character who's been in all of them. Like I said, it's like putting in Anthony Higgs over Ridley for the sake of adding another Metroid character.

In my eyes, Pit and Palutena are the two 'prominent' characters of KI, like how Kirby, MK, and DDD are the three 'prominent' characters of Kirby.

Last edited:

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
View attachment 9091
Hey, look, listen! Nice shiny Prediction Roster! (The Diddy Update)
Differences from Previous Version
-Organization is much better, Vertical Star Fox
-Tetra was removed
-ZSS and Sheik are not visible due to icon constraints but they are indeed on the roster.
-Pac-Man was added then replaced by R.O.B.
-3 Cuts, 49 Movesets and 45 Slots.
Critique and Roast at will!
I want to like it, but no Lucas. :confused:

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
Adding a KI newcomer and it not being Palutena would be a letdown. As much as I love the franchise and its characters.

Last edited:

?????????????

Smash Master
Zelda and Peach confirmed for scrapped.
:laugh:

Yeah, someone always brings that up when I say that.

For me, the difference is that Peach and Zelda have always taken opportunities to help out with the fighting when they are able to do so. Peach does so in SMB2, SMRPG, Super Princess Peach, etc. Zelda has more active roles in Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker, Spirit Tracks, etc.

Palutena is fully capable of fighting, as we know. ...But instead, she'd rather just send out Pit, or Centurions.

Problem is, it's silly to have characters like Hades or Magnus who have only been in one game, while leaving out the character who's been in all of them. Like I said, it's like putting in Anthony Higgs over Ridley for the sake of adding another Metroid character.

In my eyes, Pit and Palutena are the two 'prominent' characters of KI, like how Kirby, MK, and DDD are the three 'prominent' characters of Kirby.
Now, this is why I think Palutena is the obvious new Kid Icarus character, should we get one. But the Kid Icarus franchise, in itself, is very different from Metroid. For example...how it only has three games. Sure, Hades and Magnus have only been in one game...but that's a large percentage of the number of games, not even considering how big Hades' role is as the game's main villain and "bigger badder" to Medusa (revealing to have always been pulling the strings).

I do believe Palutena is the best choice, but I think alternatives are acceptable in this specific example. I would not say the same for Metroid, which is a long-time running series with an obvious second rep, Ridley, who has no other character that comes even close to being as important or recurring as he is.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Problem is, it's silly to have characters like Hades or Magnus who have only been in one game, while leaving out the character who's been in all of them. Like I said, it's like putting in Zero Suit Samus over Ridley for the sake of adding another Metroid character.
Fixed and actually happened.

Bonus points for ZSS only appearing (for any significant amount of time) in one game before her addition to the roster.

Last edited:

?????????????

Smash Master
Has anyone ever thought of Sakurai's motive behind adding Zero Suit Samus? Like...why?

From a character standpoint, it's Samus again. From a moveset standpoint...yeah, she turned out cool and all, but it's all kinda made up...kinda random he felt like he would need Zero Suit Samus in particular for that kind of moveset.

...I think he just wanted to play as a sexy Samus.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Fixed and actually happened.

Bonus points for ZSS only appearing (for any significant amount of time) in one game before her addition to the roster.
Oh, wow, you're right about that.

I feel like Ridley....might have problems (Not that I'm against him, but....), but I don't think Palutena has much problems with her at all. The main argument held against her seems to be relating to Kid Icarus's overall importance as a series, not so much her being a viable character or not.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
:laugh:

Yeah, someone always brings that up when I say that.

For me, the difference is that Peach and Zelda have always taken opportunities to help out with the fighting when they are able to do so. Peach does so in SMB2, SMRPG, Super Princess Peach, etc. Zelda has more active roles in Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker, Spirit Tracks, etc.

Palutena is fully capable of fighting, as we know. ...But instead, she'd rather just send out Pit, or Centurions.
Well let's face it, when Pit is already a walking ammunition depot (Viridi's words), you don't really need to exactly get engaged.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
The only thing I can remember from pre-Brawl days of Sakurai talking about ZSS's inclusion was that he was happy to have more female characters in. I wouldn't even call it a new female character honestly, it's still just Samus.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Hey guys, I think I know of a game that the Ice Climbers can legitimately advertise.
It's a retail game being released in Japan on April 24 (a Thursday). Do you guys think they'll actually use this game to reveal the Ice Climbers?

Attachments

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
Despite the fact that both are fought as giants, Hades strikes me as more of a boss character than Medusa.

His character relies more on witty writing compared to the serious Medusa, which I don't think would translate well to a playable role. His abilities are more boss-like as well, such as having cannons all over his body. So yeah, I'd rather see Medusa become playable and have Hades be a boss or a stage hazard. Of course, there's also the fact that Medusa is one of the three characters that appear in the original Kid Icarus.

Last edited:

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.

Doesn't Rosalina being confirmed sort of count this argument as a bit meaning-less? I don't ever really remember Rosalina fighting.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
Has anyone ever thought of Sakurai's motive behind adding Zero Suit Samus? Like...why?

From a character standpoint, it's Samus again. From a moveset standpoint...yeah, she turned out cool and all, but it's all kinda made up...kinda random he felt like he would need Zero Suit Samus in particular for that kind of moveset.

I've always though of cutting her until I thought about that last line. Of course there's the shoehorned sex appeal.

Hey guys, I think I know of a game that the Ice Climbers can legitimately advertise.
It's a retail game being released in Japan on April 24 (a Thursday). Do you guys think they'll actually use this game to reveal the Ice Climbers?
Sakurai could make it work, he very well could.

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain

Probably because he wanted to add another Metroid characters, and Zamus was the only choice for Sakurai.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691

Well, Sakurai did post an article talking about the first newcomers shown for Brawl, it's in the Development Thread, but here's a link:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2006/05/31/sakurais-smash-bros-update

So basically, he's saying that he wanted to add females and another Metroid rep. Zero Suit was just two-in-one I guess. Still, I like sexy Samus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom