• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staarih

Smash Master
Its funny how people think Pacman would have a bland moveset. Some thought the same with Little Mac. Look how that ended up.
Exactly. I believe that any character can be made unique if wanted. Even Dixie and Chrom who people seem to think will become clones or sorts. And especially Pac-Man.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Every potential newcomer can be made unique pretty much, don't underestimate the creativity of Sakurai. Pac-Man doesn't have anything too unique about him on first glance, but I'm sure there are ways to make him stand out a lot from the rest. Even as someone who thinks Pac-Man would be the single worst addition to the game I can admit that much at least.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
He should a eating play style the more projectiles and Pac dots you eat the better stats you have, it's not hard to create the moveset.
That doesn't even make sense given the context of his games. So now there needs to be dots scattered around the level?

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Why are people so adamant about having your own face in Smash Bros?
Because my face is the greatest in all of Koridai.

But I like playing as me because I feel like I'm taking a greater part in the game. I main my Mii in every game you can play as him in (from Mario Kart to...uh...Mario Kart) just because it's funny that I can whoop ass with the other denizens of the Mushroom Kingdom (and Funky Kong).

I'm not expecting or even actively wanting Miis to appear, but I'd be entertained and pleasantly surprised if they did. I get that you guys see Miis as hyper-casual avatars in an attempt to be more universally appealing and that it irks most of you that people make penis faces on them or whatever the hell, but believe it or not, they're just like any other potential addition to Smash; ergo, their inclusion will not hinder the game. If they're in, they're likely already in, probably finished.

So y'all stop bein' so butthurt about Miis. They're a big part of Nintendo's new image and they're likely here to stay.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Exactly. I believe that any character can be made unique if wanted. Even Dixie and Chrom who people seem to think will become clones or sorts. And especially Pac-Man.
However it really depends on how much source material they have in their respective game.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Are you dummies still believing that? It was proven false like 3 days after it came out.
(Not calling you a dummy Naux)
Of course I don't believe it, I've been adamantly trying to prove it wrong by reason of the possibility that anyone within the right circumstances would have been able to accurately guess four or five out of six characters. I still believe we'll get Pac-Man, but I do not believe we will get Miis. But of course, people like to jump me over the matter and proclaim that it's stupid to deny the leak, so adding Miis in as an afterthought aside from the actual roster is just a way to shut them up.

D

Deleted member

I'm going to break majority and say Greymon.

.....I just want to see someone put him in a roster for shiz and goggles.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux

Fixed it up some more, though the organization may need some more work. Still need better icons for some of the characters as well.

As a side note, I want to know what you guys think of the alignment, should I keep it like this, or organize them vertically like Brawl?

D

Deleted member

Everybody's doing 50 slot rosters.....
And here I thought what I'm planning was something special with thought put into it. :(

Last edited by a moderator:

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
Everybody's doing 50 slot rosters.....
And here I thought what I'm planning was something special with thought put into it. :(
Hey, at least you guys are doing 50. I'm going cut-happy with 45 slots, 49 characters.

Last edited:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
No? He's going throw his own row of dots for recovery and tqctic purposes.
That's just as bad if not worse.

Here's the problem. Sonic, Megaman, Snake. They all had moves from their games. Pac-Man just has stuff from the arcade games. "He could throw pellets." He never did that. "He could eat a row of dots." That's a poor excuse for a recovery move. The other characters could directly take abilities from their respective series. Pac-Man isn't developed as a character. His only real abilities would be to eat (which 4 other characters do) and take moves from the world game which were really just moves stolen from Mario and Sonic.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
...I never realized until like a few minutes ago that the rolling move from Pac-Man World is just the Spin Dash. Doesn't he have a bouncing move, too?

Pac-Man confirmed for Sonic clone.

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
...I never realized until like a few minutes ago that the rolling move from Pac-Man World is just the Spin Dash. Doesn't he have a bouncing move, too?
The Butt Bounce, which is basically a move that makes Pac-Man slam the ground similar to a basketball. It's used both for smashing buttons and enemies below him, and giving him extra height.

Last edited:

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
The Butt Bounce, which is basically a move that makes Pac-Man slam the ground similar to a basketball. It's used both for smashing buttons and enemies below him, and giving him extra height.
...My god, all if not most of those moves were literally just Sonic and Mario moves.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
Here's the problem. Sonic, Megaman, Snake. They all had moves from their games. Pac-Man just has stuff from the arcade games. "He could throw pellets." He never did that. "He could eat a row of dots." That's a poor excuse for a recovery move. The other characters could directly take abilities from their respective series. Pac-Man isn't developed as a character. His only real abilities would be to eat (which 4 other characters do) and take moves from the world game which were really just moves stolen from Mario and Sonic.
Well, then so be it. They've made the likes of R.O.B. into a working character, and he didn't really have much going on for him moveset wise either I'd presume. I don't see why you waste your energy in making up excuses as to why Pac-Man would be a bad character. Anything can be made unique if wanted so, and heck, if all Pac-Man did was "eat a row of dots", then that STILL would be unique, as in no other character does it and it still stays true to Pac-Man's character. I do believe that he can be made into a unique and great character (that does more stuff than that), and that's it. Even if one doesn't like a character, I don't see the point in trying to give reasons as to why the character shouldn't be in the game. Let everyone root for whom they want to, and a) be happy if they make it in the game or b) be disappointed if they don't.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

...My god, all if not most of those moves were literally just Sonic and Mario moves.
Butt Bounce came before the Bounce Bracelet, though.

Sure, you might compare it to Ground Pound from Mario, but it never bounced Mario, Yoshi, Wario, etc.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Such is the life of a character who exists solely to cash in on seemingly-nonexistent nostalgia.

It's quite telling that the only decent Pac-Man game to come out within the last decade or so is one that takes the original formula and makes it flow better and more "intense". The Championship Edition is fun and I didn't even care for the original game. There needs to be more actual Pac-Man and less of...pretty much everything else he's doing.

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
The Pac-Man World trilogy didn't provide Pac-Man with distinctive abilities until Pac-Man World 3. In that game he was given more interesting attacks, like the Electro Shock and Ribbon Ring Power.

Last edited:

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
Butt Bounce came before the Bounce Bracelet, though.

Sure, you might compare it to Ground Pound from Mario, but it never bounced Mario, Yoshi, Wario, etc.
But it certainly bounced Sonic with his bracelet in 2000.
Dammit, I'm messing up again. This is what happens when I don't get any sleep at all...

The Pac-Man World trilogy didn't provide Pac-Man with interesting abilities until Pac-Man World 3. In that game he was given more interesting attacks, like the Electro Shock and Ribbon Ring Power.
Indeed, they got better and less rip-off esque as the series went on...

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
My 2nd updated roster.

Yeah, I know Goku probably won't make it in because of the "all characters have to originate from a video game rule" but one can always dream.

Also forgot about Little Mac in there.

Attachments

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom