• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I conducted a poll a long time ago and here are the results I acquired:
http://www.misterpoll.com/polls/534642/results
I believe this was the date created, 2011-09-14 so my knowledge on some characters was limited and I forgot a couple of popular choices while creating the poll.
Those results are really ****ing terrible.
They were voted off the original charts. Midna I can understand but Vaati? There was no real harm in having him to begin with.
You horrible people.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Do you guys wanna see my Mii moveset? I tried to make the moveset as decent as possible, I think you guys might like it. But I'll have to show the moveset when we get to the next page. :p

Edit: Looks like were here on the page.

Last edited:

Mdilly99

Smash Journeyman
Err. Morbidly ninja'd.

It looks really odd compared to Brawl, Pokemon should at least start its own row.
Oops. Sorry. Didnt realize you said that. I get what your saying also about the pokemon starting their own row. I may edit that.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I don't have a problem discussing popularity (more specifically Smashboards popularity), obviously it is inherently fallacious to an overt extent. As long as people don't actually use polls as definitive evidence, there is nothing wrong with it. I am an adamant believer that there are many aspects of inclusion, that includes popularity. Notions people blatantly dismiss such as gender, recency, smash relevance, sales, reoccurring roles, and impact are not overlooked by yours truly.
You'll do far better with that attitude than most people will.
Indeed. I try to look at all the factors responsible for character inclusion. Popularity, clearly isn't the only factor, and it is usually distorted on the polls, due to a few reasons. One may be people mixing both want and chance, without actually thinking about it. Another thing, and I believe this is more important, is the people who are actually taking these polls. Usually the people taking these surveys are the the most hardcore fans of the Smash, i would assume. I mean, its hard to deny when were talking about a game we know little about, on a website called Smashboards. So the most hardcore of fans who actually have done the research will have a much different view than your casual gamer who will pick up this game one day and play it. But this game isn't made to satisfy the hardcore audience, otherwise, we would probably know the roster by now. It is made to satisfy every audience member, from the person who will play the game 2 or 3 times at a friends house, to those who pour hours upon hours training to become the very best.

So Smashboards popularity should really be taken with a grain of salt, because we are not the only audience members who want to play this game. Granted, we may do the most research and look into the finest of details, so we may think we know more, but at the end of the day, there will be characters in the game that casuals expect, and characters in the game that hardcores will expect.
I think that's a good idea. Part of the issue may be that Smash fans know more Nintendo characters than a lot of other people, so they tend to vote all over. Consider Rosalina. She wasn't as liked by die hard fans, but she makes sense as she is an important character, so most people would recognize her.
Sakurai never specifically said "legendary," we don't really know if special situation applies to only legendary third parties.
He specifically said:
Smash Bros. can still be considered as an all-star collection of Nintendo characters. Just like with Mega Man or any other third-party character, it would have to be a very special situation
So far, no character meets those criteria.

Morbi

Scavenger
Shows how much people's opinions change in just a couple of years eh?
Which only serves to prove that it doesn't really matter who Sakurai selects as our preferences will change. I expect the Game and Watch/R.O.B. effect to happen with any unfavorable choices, eventually the general populace will acknowledge that they are good choices! Eventually. :awesome:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I guess that like was an indication, here you go, do take the time to read it:
Here's the Mii playstyle:

Miis are unique, they can carry opponents and many things that surround them using the Wii Hand. Their moveset is based on the Wii Motion Controls that defined gaming and the equipment used in Wii Sports. Although most of their moves are fairly weak and are not able to KO an opponent, they have many unique things to use that make them fairly capable to live on the Battlefield.

Down-B: Sports Equipment Switch: The Mii switches with up to 5 sports gear to choose from to use for his Normal-B, you are able to quickly change gear, so there's no worrying about an opponent trying to get on you. There are many unique moves the Miis can choose:

Neutral-B:

Boxing Gloves: When changed into the boxing gloves, the Miis power in their punching moves is raised by x1.5. When you use the move however, gives a standard charge punch attack.

Bowling Ball: When changed into the Bowling Ball, the Miis are able roll the bowls for a projectile. Although slow, the balls have big KO potential if not dealt with.

Golf Club: When changed into the club, the Mii swings a golf club to shoot weak but abusable golf balls. You can shoot up to three at a time in the field, although the projectiles are a little slow when in the air.

Tennis Racket: When changed to the racket, the Mii is able to stun the opponent for a little while if the racket hits the opponent. Although the Mii will wear out if the move used too much.

Baseball Bat: When changed to the baseball bat, the Mii uses the baseball bat to swing out some fastballs that move in a straight line. The bat however does not hit opponents, only the baseballs. The balls have decent KO potential if aimed correctly.

Side-B: Reticle: The Mii summons a reticle that you can control circularly, once the B-Button is let go, the Mii will automatically throw the projectile where the target is at in a straight line. Note that it is not a homing projectile and it does not kill the opponent. If you use the reticle for moves such as the Mii's Golf Club and the Baseball Bat, it automatically home on the reticle.

Up-B: Drag: Miis summon the Wii Hand above them, the player can control the hand freely using the control stick, the maximum length you can reach the hand is about a platform distance. Once you grab the Mii with the hand, it will automatically cling the mii for you to drag. You can move them freely to any height you wish till after 2 seconds, using the hand to recover yourself slowly back to the stage. You can also grab the opponents to with your hand, and drag them at given speed. Just imagine dragging Mario, and trolling them like you have the force, it could potentially be a very fun move to use.

Now after reading this, do you want Miis to be in the game?

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Oops. Sorry. Didnt realize you said that. I get what your saying also about the pokemon starting their own row. I may edit that.
Yeah, Metroid and Kid Icarus characters would be near Zelda characters and Takamaru as well, due to the four franchises being associated. The three retros (G&W, ROB, IC) are in a really strange position as well. As for your new roster, the lack of K. Rool is really unsettling, particularly when there's a random slot there. Every other choice is good besides the Miis though. Bolding so it's seen this time, that's an opinion.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Which only serves to prove that it doesn't really matter who Sakurai selects as our preferences will change. I expect the Game and Watch/R.O.B. effect to happen with any unfavorable choices, eventually the general populace will acknowledge that they are good choices! Eventually. :awesome:
True :muffin:

Mdilly99

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, Metroid and Kid Icarus characters would be near Zelda characters and Takamaru as well, due to the four franchises being associated. The three retros (G&W, ROB, IC) are in a really strange position as well. As for your new roster, the lack of K. Rool is really unsettling, particularly when there's a random slot there. Every other choice is good besides the Miis though. Bolding so it's seen this time, that's an opinion.
Lol Oh believe me, ive added an removed k. Rool so many times to my roster. I want him in, but i doubt sakurai will add him this time. Guess its a gut feeling. But yeah, this isnt my finnished product either.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I couldn't possibly post my dream roster on here because I'd like to be able to walk the next day :laugh:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Then I shall continue to clamour for my unlikely Zelda characters.
I couldn't possibly post my dream roster on here because I'd like to be able to walk the next day :laugh:
Any roster without Pacman and Mii is okay with me.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Any roster without Pacman and Mii is okay with me.
But Pac-Man would still be on my dream roster. :urg:
[collapse=] :troll: [/collapse]

My dream roster would just look like my regular roster, but with a row of Rareware characters (mainly Banjo) and Rayman. Those two are all I could ever want but never have.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I guess that like was an indication, here you go, do take the time to read it:
Here's the Mii playstyle:

Miis are unique, they can carry opponents and many things that surround them using the Wii Hand. Their moveset is based on the Wii Motion Controls that defined gaming and the equipment used in Wii Sports. Although most of their moves are fairly weak and are not able to KO an opponent, they have many unique things to use that make them fairly capable to live on the Battlefield.

Down-B: Sports Equipment Switch: The Mii switches with up to 5 sports gear to choose from to use for his Normal-B, you are able to quickly change gear, so there's no worrying about an opponent trying to get on you. There are many unique moves the Miis can choose:

Neutral-B:

Boxing Gloves: When changed into the boxing gloves, the Miis power in their punching moves is raised by x1.5. When you use the move however, gives a standard charge punch attack.

Bowling Ball: When changed into the Bowling Ball, the Miis are able roll the bowls for a projectile. Although slow, the balls have big KO potential if not dealt with.

Golf Club: When changed into the club, the Mii swings a golf club to shoot weak but abusable golf balls. You can shoot up to three at a time in the field, although the projectiles are a little slow when in the air.

Tennis Racket: When changed to the racket, the Mii is able to stun the opponent for a little while if the racket hits the opponent. Although the Mii will wear out if the move used too much.

Baseball Bat: When changed to the baseball bat, the Mii uses the baseball bat to swing out some fastballs that move in a straight line. The bat however does not hit opponents, only the baseballs. The balls have decent KO potential if aimed correctly.

Side-B: Reticle: The Mii summons a reticle that you can control circularly, once the B-Button is let go, the Mii will automatically throw the projectile where the target is at in a straight line. Note that it is not a homing projectile and it does not kill the opponent. If you use the reticle for moves such as the Mii's Golf Club and the Baseball Bat, it automatically home on the reticle.

Up-B: Drag: Miis summon the Wii Hand above them, the player can control the hand freely using the control stick, the maximum length you can reach the hand is about a platform distance. Once you grab the Mii with the hand, it will automatically cling the mii for you to drag. You can move them freely to any height you wish till after 2 seconds, using the hand to recover yourself slowly back to the stage. You can also grab the opponents to with your hand, and drag them at given speed. Just imagine dragging Mario, and trolling them like you have the force, it could potentially be a very fun move to use.

Now after reading this, do you want Miis to be in the game?
My problem with the Miis aren't so much because I don't think they have potential to be unique, because clearly they do, but it's mostly what they represent. I mean, it might just be me, but I like Smash Bros. as being a fight between the best of video game characters. Miis aren't exactly characters, they're people, they're you and me, and not to sound like a ****, but I'm not an all-star character, and neither are you. I love having match-ups with famous Nintendo characters, that's one of the primary reasons I play this game. However, that mood could quickly be turned around once I go online, pick Samus, and end up fighting regular guy Pablo from Spain's self insert character. By that time the thrill of seeing Samus going up against another big shot video game character like Bowser, Mega Man and Captain Falcon dies, and I suddenly don't really care about kicking this guy's butt, because it's just a regular guy I don't know, an actual guy that tried to recreate himself in the game. Now of course there's also some silly Miis that'd be fun to fight, but take a look around Miiverse and you'll see the general crowd of Miis you'll be facing. Of course this is all without mentioning Hitler, Jesus, and Penis xD, which just further grinds my gears. I just don't like what they stand for, and my fear is that they might end up overpopulating online play, essentially making it a 50/50 whether the fight is actually a fight between Nintendo's biggest stars.

Your moveset is good for what the Miis have available, I actually really like your Up-B suggestion since it's so odd yet iconic, but no moveset would be able to make me like their inclusion. At best it'd be very bittersweet, that's it.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
My problem with the Miis aren't so much because I don't think they have potential to be unique, because clearly they do, but it's mostly what they represent. I mean, it might just be me, but I like Smash Bros. as being a fight between the best of video game characters. Miis aren't exactly characters, they're people, they're you and me, and not to sound like a ****, but I'm not an all-star character, and neither are you. I love having match-ups with famous Nintendo characters, that's one of the primary reasons I play this game. However, that mood could quickly be turned around once I go online, pick Samus, and end up fighting regular guy Pablo from Spain's self insert character. By that time the thrill of seeing Samus going up against another big shot video game character like Bowser, Mega Man and Captain Falcon dies, and I suddenly don't really care about kicking this guy's butt, because it's just a regular guy I don't know, an actual guy that tried to recreate himself in the game. Now of course there's also some silly Miis that'd be fun to fight, but take a look around Miiverse and you'll see the general crowd of Miis you'll be facing. Of course this is all without mentioning Hitler, Jesus, and Penis xD, which just further grinds my gears. I just don't like what they stand for, and my fear is that they might end up overpopulating online play, essentially making it a 50/50 whether the fight is actually a fight between Nintendo's biggest stars.

Your moveset it good for what the Miis have available, I actually really like your Up-B suggestion since it's so odd yet iconic, but no moveset would be able to make me like their inclusion. At best it'd be very bittersweet, that's it.
The whole idea is that the consumer base is an all-star! Without the player-base, there would be no game, no Smash, no Nintendo, no industry. If you think about it, we saved the video-game industry to a greater extent than R.O.B.

I don't necessarily agree with that sentiment, I am just elaborating on the notion.

Mdilly99

Smash Journeyman
Updated: removed Lip, added k.rool. I wasnt sure how to keep dk's series and marios series in one row with k.rool, so i put him under dixie.
image.jpg

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
The whole idea is that the consumer base is an all-star! Without the player-base, there would be no game, no Smash, no Nintendo, no industry. If you think about it, we saved the video-game industry to a greater extent than R.O.B.

I don't necessarily agree with that sentiment, I am just elaborating on the notion.
Yeah, I do know that, and I do think that Nintendo realizes that too. It's a neat thought that we as the consumer base are all-stars in ourselves, kind of flattering actually. However, let's get real here, the whole reason we as a fanbase are buying Nintendo's games is because of the characters and their unique worlds. It might sound egocentric, but I just don't care about my fellow consumers so much that I want to fight their faces in Smash Bros. I'll gladly fight them if they pick Mario, or even if they spam Sonic taunts, but I don't feel like I need to beat their actual faces in or give their edgy anime-hair OC a whopping, let's keep that for the Kart racing.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Updated: removed Lip, added k.rool. I wasnt sure how to keep dk's series and marios series in one row with k.rool, so i put him under dixie.
Now I feel bad because you removed Lip. Dixie would have been a better choice to remove, actually, why don't you just put Lip back and remove the random slot? That isn't even a character.

Mdilly99

Smash Journeyman
Now I feel bad because you removed Lip. Dixie would have been a better choice to remove, actually, why don't you just put Lip back and remove the random slot? That isn't even a character.
Well, ive been doing this roster for a long time, thought it through, i doubt lip would even be in, and i doubt sakurai would remove the random button. And remember this is a prediction, not a wishlist lol.

Morbi

Scavenger
Technically there wasn't a random button prior to Brawl... so it is a legit character slot. :awesome:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Well, ive been doing this roster for a long time, thought it through, i doubt lip would even be in, and i doubt sakurai would remove the random button. And remember this is a prediction, not a wishlist lol.
If it's a prediction, then Dixie is the one you should have removed. :troll:

And no, the random button wouldn't be removed, there's no reason the random option can't be off the roster. Remember, 64 and Melee didn't have a random option on the roster itself, Brawl is the odd man out there.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Updated: removed Lip, added k.rool. I wasnt sure how to keep dk's series and marios series in one row with k.rool, so i put him under dixie.View attachment 9049
It looks like a fine roster, but it feels pretty standard. Just my opinion though.

If it's a prediction, then Dixie is the one you should have removed. :troll:

And no, the random button wouldn't be removed, there's no reason the random option can't be off the roster. Remember, 64 and Melee didn't have a random option on the roster itself, Brawl is the odd man out there.
It feels like a really damn odd decision to remove the random slot solely for a character.

Last edited:

GmanSir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GmanSir
Are the people who rate the rosters rate it as the probability, or if they like it?

OcarinaOfDoom

Smash Lord
NNID
OcarinaOfDoom
Are the people who rate the rosters rate it as the probability, or if they like it?
Probability mainly for me. If it was if I liked it, every roster with Chrom on it would have a 0.

Anyway, updated my latest roster a bit.
3DS Roster.png

Notable change: Mii replaces Isaac. I think the Mii might be implemented however, in a function where you choose your Mii, but you have one pre-set moveset, or to take the moveset of a select group of playable characters (because Mii over Ridley would look stupid)

Other points:
  • No cuts: THis is assuming there are no time constraints, as I assume that all Brawl vets are planned
  • Roy>Chrom: I see both of them at around the same level, but I chose Roy because I actually like Roy

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I've been mulling over the idea of Miis, and I really don't think Sakurai will add them...

In the same sense as any other playable characters, it just doesn't seem like something Sakurai would do given such an opportunity. I feel that, if they are playable, they would have their own special option where you can select your single, customized Mii. The basic idea is that you would only be able to use the main Mii of the console, while players 2-4 could use preset Miis (like Reggie or something I guess), so as to avoid certain kinds of Miis (Hitler, Jesus, Dong, etc). I'm still trying to flesh out the idea, but mainly the game would give your Mii a weight class depending on the height/width you set for your Mii, a tall, fat Mii would be a super heavy weight, and a small, skinny Mii would be a lightweight, with varying weights in between depending on the ratio. Your Mii would start out with a basic moveset, but there would be an option in the game to customize your own single moveset, certain moves (like recoveries) would be affected by the weight your Mii has been assigned. You would be able to change your Mii at any time on this menu, but whenever you select your Mii for a fight it will always be that specific one or a preset.

I also made this mock-up of what the Mii (and Random) options could possibly look like, each player having their own respective option to use them.

Last edited:

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
I've been mulling over the idea of Miis, and I really don't think Sakurai will add them...

In the same sense as any other playable characters, it just doesn't seem like something Sakurai would do given such an opportunity. I feel that, if they are playable, they would have their own special option where you can select your single, customized Mii. The basic idea is that you would only be able to use the main Mii of the console, while players 2-4 could use preset Miis (like Reggie or something I guess), so as to avoid certain kinds of Miis (Hitler, Jesus, Dong, etc). I'm still trying to flesh out the idea, but mainly the game would give your Mii a weight class depending on the height/width you set for your Mii, a tall, fat Mii would be a super heavy weight, and a small, skinny Mii would be a lightweight, with varying weights in between depending on the ratio. Your Mii would start out with a basic moveset, but there would be an option in the game to customize your own single moveset, certain moves (like recoveries) would be affected by the weight your Mii has been assigned. You would be able to change your Mii at any time on this menu, but whenever you select your Mii for a fight it will always be that specific one or a preset.

I also made this mock-up of what the Mii (and Random) options could possibly look like, each player having their own respective option to use them.
I'd like to compliment you on your perfect roster, and idea for Mii's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom