• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
A lot of good ideas in there. I have two complaints.

1.) No Snake. I probably wouldn't mind as much, except that he's your only cut character (if I'm counting right). That kinda stands out. Plus, I believe a return of Snake is much more likely than an addition of Pac-man.

2.) It's bright and hurts my eyes to look at.
haha sorry bout that bright thing, i usually have my brightness really low :chuckle:

The snake thing: Took him off because he just seems like a one time character to me. Idk. It would be awesome to get him back, I just only give it a 50% chance or so.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I'd take Skull Kid off entirely. He was already deconfirmed, and really didn't have as much support as many would have you believe.
>On Smashboards

So yeah, he's not super popular here, but 4chan likes(ed?) him. I think he ranks like 15th most popular choice overall.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
No D Rank? Is D=E? (Serious question)
Fix'd.
There is no E rank. The souls of anyone past D-Rank is sustenance for the angry Gods of Smash Speculation.

I'd take Skull Kid off entirely. He was already deconfirmed, and really didn't have as much support as many would have you believe.
I'm completely okay with that. He has even less potential or deserving than Tingle, which means alot coming from me.

Dammit, double post.

Last edited by a moderator:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
>On Smashboards

So yeah, he's not super popular here, but 4chan likes(ed?) him. I think he ranks like 15th most popular choice overall.
Oh, really? I actually haven't noticed it, but upon rereading your poll, it appears you're right. Huh.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
S Rank - Mega Man, Mewtwo
A Rank - King K. Rool, Ridley, Little Mac
B Rank - Roy, Krystal, Palutena, Chrom, Paper Mario
C Rank - Dixie Kong, Isaac, Tetra, Shulk, Pacman, Bandana Dee
D Rank - Waluigi, Ghirahim, Mii, Samurai Goroh, Lucina, Tingle, Black Shadow

Did I miss anyone?
I see no Vaati, last I checked, Tetra and Vaati were about on even grounds.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
C Rank - Dixie Kong, Isaac, Shulk, Tetra, Vaati, Pacman
D Rank - Bandana Dee, Waluigi, Ghirahim, Mii, Lucina, Tingle, Samurai Goroh

Revised?

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Seems fairly decent representation of how characters are viewed at least in regards to Smashboards.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
I took both chance and popularity into account. IF I did onyl want, then third parties would fill the middle ranks.

I went on by chance of likeliness and want. And I figured that most series would have one character over others. The top four wanted newcomers, along with Megaman (who was with them until he was confirmed) and Mewtwo. They are now S Rank because they are the Elite 4 (and Champions. Little Mac and Megaman are champions, since they got in)

The next rank was harder. I originally only had Dixie, Takamaru, Mii, Pacman, Shulk and Chrom because they were in the top 10. Waddle Dee and Isaac were 12 and 13. Tetra wasn't put on because I 'm not sure if people would notice her with Toon Zelda.

I moved Roy up to Rank A, since he is a veteran and highly requested mark. B Rank will be Chibi Robo, Dillon, Impa, Lip, Paper Mario, Robin, Saki, Stary, Tetra, Toad, Waddle Dee, Zoroark. Starfy and Toad were around these chances before they were deconfirmed. Goroh and Krystal might also make it.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer

Revised?
If you're putting Mega Man and Little Mac, why don't you also include the rest of the known Newcomers? Villager would probably be B-C, Rosalina being C-D, and WFT being the sole E-ranked character (since she was out of left field and then some, apparently).

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
If you're putting Mega Man and Little Mac, why don't you also include the rest of the known Newcomers? Villager would probably be B-C, Rosalina being C-D, and WFT being the sole E-ranked character (since she was out of left field and then some, apparently).
I never saw requests for Villager, WFT was, well, out of left field, and this is just Smashboards, so Rosalina was out of the question.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
My thoughts
SS Rank - Stork, Reggie
S Rank - Mega Man, Mewtwo, Ridley
A Rank - King K. Rool, Little Mac, Palutena
B Rank - Bowser Jr., Krystal, Paper Mario, Isaac, Shulk
C Rank - Dixie Kong, Tetra, Vaati, Pacman, Bandana Dee, Chrom
D Rank - Samurai Goroh, Impa, Zoroark, Geno
E Rank - Waluigi, Ghirahim, Lucina, Meowth, Tingle

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542

Revised?
I'd put Porky and/or Masked Man in the D Rank at least.

But that's all of the additions I could think of.

EDIT: Oh, also add Reggie one there somewhere. He has a big petition.

My thoughts
SS Rank - Stork, Reggie
Does SS stand for Super Saiyan?

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I'd put Porky and/or Masked Man in the D Rank at least.

But that's all of the additions I could think of.

EDIT: Oh, also add Reggie one there somewhere. He has a big petition.
Lol, Reggie. That's a good one.

Also, I have never heard a request for Mother Characters. Possibly because it has three games and as many characters as Fire Emblem and more than Metroid and F-Zero.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
My thoughts
SS Rank - Stork, Reggie
Shouldn't Robin be on there somewhere?

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I'm gonna go ahead and just throw up a tier list based off of popularity. (For Smashboards specifically)

S: Mega Man, Mewtwo
A: King K Rool, Ridley Palutena, Little Mac, Roy,
B: Dixie Kong, Chrom, Krystal, Bowser Junior, Isaac, Shulk
C: Paper Mario, Toad, Miis, Pac Man, Takamaru, Robin, Waluigi, Layton
D: Bandana Dee, Samurai Goroh, Lucina, Lyn, Tingle, Zoroark
E: Rosalina, Ashley, Wonder Red, Ghirahim, Dillon, Lip, Cranky Kong, New PT, Saki, Nook

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

However, I DO have a stigma against "Dark" characters. I think it's a generally overhyped gimmick and unimaginative. For instance, I really liked the idea of Magnus as Pit's rival. He's Pit's opposite in many ways...so why did they even have to create a "Dark Pit"? In my opinion, it would have been better to just up-play Magnus' role.
Does that mean you hate Wario and Waluigi?

M23-X0

Smash Journeyman
I'm gonna go ahead and just throw up a tier list based off of popularity. (For Smashboards specifically)

S: Mega Man, Mewtwo
A: King K Rool, Ridley Palutena, Little Mac, Roy,
B: Dixie Kong, Chrom, Krystal, Bowser Junior, Isaac, Shulk
C: Paper Mario, Toad, Miis, Pac Man, Takamaru, Robin, Waluigi, Layton
D: Bandana Dee, Samurai Goroh, Lucina, Lyn, Tingle, Zoroark
E: Rosalina, Ashley, Wonder Red, Ghirahim, Dillon, Lip, Cranky Kong, New PT, Saki, Nook
Actually, this is exactly my thoughts. And since you're the most aware of who is popular and who's not, I believe this is the most accurate one :)

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
I conducted a poll a long time ago and here are the results I acquired:
http://www.misterpoll.com/polls/534642/results
I believe this was the date created, 2011-09-14 so my knowledge on some characters was limited and I forgot a couple of popular choices while creating the poll.
Interesting. I'm going to be honest, seeing Daisy rated so high got me discouraged, but the rest seems pretty good. Just 2 things:
  1. The additional Pokemon Trainer being rated so high is probably a result of the Pokemon Trainer in Brawl. People saw it, and think it can happen again. Whether it would be a unique idea again is another question, but generally people want to see as many characters as possible, and that is one way that it could happen. Also, without Mewtwo on that list, people are usually very divided on which characters to add from that series, so adding another Pokemon Trainer (regardless of who is with the trainer) is the safest bet, especially when they want one or more characters from the newest generation.
  2. The Paper Mario series should just be thrown in with the Mario series, because characters usually adopt stuff from all their game (or most of them) having 3 different versions of PM would be somewhat pointless. Although it does tell us which one people like the most i suppose.
Also, Waluigi isn't from the Wario series.

Last edited:

Mdilly99

Smash Journeyman
Honostly guys, i think we might be getting a slightly larger roster than sakurai hints that he's giving us. If you take brawls roster, add the couple newcomers, and characters that WILL most likely be in, it goes to around 45-49 characters. Imo. Sorry if this is oftopic to what you guys are talking about. Lol

D

Deleted member

I presume he's more so talking about characters that are simply dark colored palette swaps.

Having an opposite is not the problem here.
He said "Dark" characters, including the likes of Dark Samus, who is more of an opposite like Wario/Waluigi (a.k.a. "Bad Mario/Luigi").

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
However, I DO have a stigma against "Dark" characters. I think it's a generally overhyped gimmick and unimaginative. For instance, I really liked the idea of Magnus as Pit's rival. He's Pit's opposite in many ways...so why did they even have to create a "Dark Pit"? In my opinion, it would have been better to just up-play Magnus' role.

The only thing I like less is "Baby" characters.
I have never agreed more with anything anyone on Smashboards has ever said. I really find Dark characters overall incredibly lazy.

Does that mean you hate Wario and Waluigi?
In my case; no. Wario and Waluigi have enough personality to separate them from the rest of the brooding or evil versions that tend to populate the dark character archetype. Probably helps that Wario has since defined himself as a character completely independently of Mario. He's pretty much the example of how to do a 'dark' version correctly.

On a minor note; notice the complete lack of black in his colour scheme(outside facial hair). Taking a main character's design, colouring it black and trying to market it as a cool alternative to the main protagonist is one of those character design choices I really can't stomach.

I conducted a poll a long time ago and here are the results I acquired:
http://www.misterpoll.com/polls/534642/results
I believe this was the date created, 2011-09-14 so my knowledge on some characters was limited and I forgot a couple of popular choices while creating the poll.
50% voted for Daisy. 50%.

What a different world that is.

D

Deleted member

On a minor note; notice the complete lack of black in his colour scheme(outside facial hair). Taking a main character's design, colouring it black and trying to market it as a cool alternative to the main protagonist is one of those character design choices I really can't stomach.
I think BlackWarGreymon can be an exception to this, since he was never marketed as the "cool alternative" to WarGreymon.
He just happened to be a WarGreymon recolor. With his own characterization and personality that is comparable to the first anime Mewtwo.

Morbi

Scavenger
I am slightly confused, why is popularity (Smashboards popularity, to be more specific) being used (predominately) to speculate the chances of newcomers? You guys are just doing it for fun, correct?

SuperBrawler

Smash Master
In my case; no. Wario and Waluigi have enough personality to separate them from the rest of the brooding or evil versions that tend to populate the dark character archetype. Probably helps that Wario has since defined himself as a character completely independently of Mario. He's pretty much the example of how to do a 'dark' version correctly.
Agreed, it's pretty impossible to even think of him as just a "bad" version of Mario.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Agreed, it's pretty impossible to even think of him as just a "bad" version of Mario.
I am not well-versed on "dark characters" but wouldn't Wario not even count as one as he has his own name? I mean, Dark Samus, Dark Link, Dark Pit, all of these other characters don't even have their own names (unless the "Dark" prefix is an extension of their name). So Wario and Waluigi simply resemble the Mario brothers, they aren't technically dark characters. They just emulate that role, I suppose.

SuperBrawler

Smash Master
I am not well-versed on "dark characters" but wouldn't Wario not even count as one as he has his own name? I mean, Dark Samus, Dark Link, Dark Pit, all of these other characters don't even have their own names (unless the "Dark" prefix is an extension of their name). So Wario and Waluigi simply resemble the Mario brothers, they aren't technically dark characters. They just emulate that role, I suppose.
That's true, but there names literally mean "bad Mario" and "bad Luigi"

Morbi

Scavenger
That's true, but there names literally mean "bad Mario" and "bad Luigi"
Ah, I didn't realize. Although, again, aren't "dark" characters usually carbon copies? I mean, for instance, Dark Pit is literally the reflection of Pit (I suppose it is the same for Link). Dark Samus is slightly different, but Dark Samus is equivalent aesthetically. Wario is more voluptuous (than Mario) while Waluigi is an exaggerated Luigi. They aren't necessarily the traditional interpretation of "dark" characters (black pallet swap of the same character). That being said, I could certainly see why one would assert that they satisfy the notion of a "dark" character.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
If we're talking "dark" versions of characters, Venom is easily one of my favorites. And his design is pretty much the same as Spider-Man's black suit, but with teeth. And the similar design makes sense. I would say that Wario's probably the best example on how to avoid too many "evil counterpart" cliches. He isn't brooding, he doesn't wear dark colors(though not inherently bad). And he has personality to boot.

Anyway, to be more on topic, How would you feel about Dark Samus being playable? Other than Ridley, Dark Samus seems like the only real decent choice for another Metroid character. And most people here already want Ridley, so not much to really discuss outside of his possible moveset.

I'd like to think that the Phazon stuff that could be implemented would make for an interesting moveset. But some similarities are bound to show up between the two.

Morbi

Scavenger
If we're talking "dark" versions of characters, Venom is easily one of my favorites. And his design is pretty much the same as Spider-Man's black suit, but with teeth. And the similar design makes sense. I would say that Wario's probably the best example on how to avoid too many "evil counterpart" cliches. He isn't brooding, he doesn't wear dark colors(though not inherently bad). And he has personality to boot.

Anyway, to be more on topic, How would you feel about Dark Samus being playable? Other than Ridley, Dark Samus seems like the only real decent choice for another Metroid character. And most people here already want Ridley, so not much to really discuss outside of his possible moveset.

I'd like to think that the Phazon stuff that could be implemented would make for an interesting moveset. But some similarities are bound to show up between the two.
Like I always say, " It would not be the first time a variation of Samus was included prior to Ridley!" I wouldn't mind Dark Samus over Ridley in the slightest.

M23-X0

Smash Journeyman

I always wondered why isn't Dark Samus more requested ? Is that because of Ridley ?
I didn't played enough Metroid, but isn't she basically Metroid Prime's main antagonist ? I know that Ridley orphaned Samus and all, but wouldn't Dark Samus a little more popular than now ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom