• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

?????????????

Smash Master
I find Pac-man, as a character, very uninteresting, especially when compared to Snake, Sonic, and Mega Man, and hold no desire to see the character in SSB.

However, he has unquestionable iconicness as a video game character, and enough abilities to work with to make a good moveset.

Last edited:

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
Again, the Butt Bounce came before the Bounce Bracelet. Pac-Man World came out in 1999.
...Heh, my apologies then. I've slipped up a bit lately, gotten a little more loose and forgetful with my information persay. :facepalm: This is why I don't talk about Pac-Man... I honestly stopped caring about him and only play DX now.

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
t's quite telling that the only decent Pac-Man game to come out within the last decade or so is one that takes the original formula and makes it flow better and more "intense". The Championship Edition is fun and I didn't even care for the original game. There needs to be more actual Pac-Man and less of...pretty much everything else he's doing.
Pac-Man generally preforms better when it's some sort of variation of the original Pac-Man title, for example Pac-Man Arrangement and Pac-Man Championship Edition. The only exception you could make is the Pac-Man World trilogy, but your mileage may vary on that. Everything else is either bad or forgettable.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I'm assuming we're not counting Pac-Man 2, which is clearly better than Majora's Mask, Metroid Prime, Mario Galaxy, and Sonic 3&K combined.

On-topic, I've never been able to see what some others do in the Pac-Man World Trilogy. I've only played World 2, but it certainly didn't stick out as anything special, especially when it had the likes of Super Mario Sunshine to compete with.

Last edited:

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
I'm assuming we're not counting Pac-Man 2, which is clearly better than Majora's Mask, Metroid Prime, Mario Galaxy, and Sonic 3&K combined.
..Let's... forget that, maybe? :c There's always that time when things just go so laughably bad...

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Pac-Man discussion ain't that bad, try to discuss about it more than you discuss the usual stuff. You guys are repeating alarm clocks everyday and it's probably leading us to no where.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
Pac-Man discussion ain't that bad, try to discuss about it more than you discuss the usual stuff. You guys are repeating alarm clocks everyday and it's probably leading us to no where.
I don't exactly like to talk about Pac-Man because I'm not as well knowledged about it. I hate the "New" Pac-Man and dislike it completely, so I stopped caring ever since Pac-Man grew limbs. So if folks you wish to partake in it, so be it, though I will step aside. I'm the kind of person who'd rather give out the whole fact than some partial truth as to not only not look like an uninformed observer, but in addition not look like an arrogant fool.

Also, that "leak" does not mean anything towards his inclusion but it only complicates debate.

Last edited:

OcarinaOfDoom

Smash Lord
NNID
OcarinaOfDoom
Pac-Man discussion imo, is more of a tougher debate because the supporters just bring up mainly a yet-to-be confirmed leak, and Namco, despite Sakurai saying Namco doesn't get special treatment. Not trying to insult Pac-Man supporters here, just stating what I tend to see during these discussions.

Personally, I think Pac-Man isn't at that level of Smash popularity as Sonic and Mega Man were, and I think that's going to be his biggest downfall here

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Pac-Man discussion imo, is more of a tougher debate because the supporters just bring up mainly a yet-to-be confirmed leak, and Namco, despite Sakurai saying Pac-Man doesn't get special treatment. Not trying to insult Pac-Man supporters here, just stating what I tend to see during these discussions.

Personally, I think Pac-Man isn't at that level of Smash popularity as Sonic and Mega Man were, and I think that's going to be his biggest downfall here
Er, Sakurai didn't say Pac-Man himself wouldn't get special treatment. He said that Namco wouldn't get special treatment for developing the game. He then followed up by saying that it would have to be a very special case.

So, perhaps the legendary Pac-Man could be considered a very special case?

OcarinaOfDoom

Smash Lord
NNID
OcarinaOfDoom
Er, Sakurai didn't say Pac-Man himself wouldn't get special treatment. He said that Namco wouldn't get special treatment for developing the game. He then followed up by saying that it would have to be a very special case.

So, perhaps the legendary Pac-Man could be considered a very special case?
Meant to say Namco there. My apologies.

Pac-Man is legendary sure, but Mega Man was described on a level of his own. I think part of this really revolves around if the character is demanded for Smash, and Pac-Man isn't there yet.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
Plot twist: Miss Pac-Man confirmed. WE N33D MOAR F3MAL3Z.

On topic though: I don't mind more females being included, as it can make the roster a little more diverse, gender wise. However, that's an excuse to a ton of characters, like Palutena, Krystal, Dixie, heck even Bayonetta. I'm a supporter of these characters (Excpet for Bayonetta,) but people should make a more pressing debate than just the gender game.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
On topic though: I don't mind more females being included, as it can make the roster a little more diverse, gender wise. However, that's an excuse to a ton of characters, like Palutena, Krystal, Dixie, heck even Bayonetta. I'm a supporter of these characters (Excpet for Bayonetta,) but people should make a more pressing debate than just the gender game.
Having Princess Peach, Other M Samus, and Bayonetta in the same game will complete the "horrible female stereotypes" quota! It'll be great!

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Plot twist: Miss Pac-Man confirmed. WE N33D MOAR F3MAL3Z.

I personally would really like to see more gender diversity on the roster, and I'm quite pleased to see that this seems to be the case so far. However, I don't think a character should be added, or significantly justified, just for being female. If the character has other great character qualities, then by all means, add them in, otherwise we might get some odd character choices just for the sake of gender diversity.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
My 2nd updated roster.

Yeah, I know Goku probably won't make it in because of the "all characters have to originate from a video game rule" but one can always dream.

Also forgot about Little Mac in there.
I'll have a go at this. First, 50 characters is pretty good.

• You have Chunky Kong. I would assume the DK newcomer would be one or both of Dixie and K. Rool, and then Cranky. Chunky does not even compete to those three.
  • I doubt that Sheik and Zelda will be separated, they haven't since their debut, so it will most likely stay the same if both return.
  • Young Link would be pretty redundant, having three forms of Link on the roster that will most likely stay the same moveset-wise. Not to mention Toon Link replaced Young Link so it'd be questionable why he's there. Then again, a Zelda newcomer in general is pretty unlikely IMO, we have the characters we need for that series.
  • Replacing Pokemon Trainer with the Johto Trainer does not make sense. Getting rid of the first protagonist with the some of the most iconic Pokemon is nonsensical. They will not get rid of Charizard, they would never do that.
  • I don't have that much of an opinion on Black Shadow, but I'm pretty fine with him being in.
  • Fire Emblem. I assume they will be having more content from Awakening (most likely in the form of a playable character). I feel as if Lyn missed her chance but she's plausible, as is Roy. But I feel as if the likes of Chrom, Lucina, and/or Robin will get in before them, or at least before Lyn. Roy is still popular. And I also think a 4th FE character is as necessary as, say, 4 DK characters, a 2nd KI character, and especially a 2nd Metroid character. Then again, reps and whatnot. Still, having 4 FE reps and 1 Metroid (ZSS is debatable) and KI rep is unsettling to say the least.
  • Waluigi ain't a Wario character. Sakurai has already given his decision on what Franchise Waluigi belongs in, and that's Mario. Not saying Waluigi is a bad choice, but as a Wario rep, NO. (I also kinda belive that Mario doesn't need any more characters).
  • Why Male Wii Fit Trainer? Why does that make sense as his own character, especially when he's already been shown off on the site, he would've had a page up.
  • Felix and Andy... I don't even know who Felix is. But yeah, put Little Mac in there! Replace Felix with the Big Mac. As for Andy, someone like Shulk, the Miis, or a rep like Lip or Takamaru will get in before him.
  • You already have Goku as your "dream choice". So yeah.
Now your cuts are Lucas and R.O.B. Despite loving him, I can kinda understand Lucas being cut, but R.O.B. has no reason to leave. At all. It's the same when people were cutting G&W pre-Brawl. The excuse people have for cutting R.O.B. would've kept him out of Brawl.

Overall, could use some work (unless this is a dream roster, if it was then I wasted both of our times). Welcome to the forums by the way.

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I'll have a go at this. First, 50 characters is pretty good.

• You have Chunky Kong. I would assume the DK newcomer would be one or both of Dixie and K. Rool, and then Cranky. Chunky does not even compete to those three.
  • I doubt that Sheik and Zelda will be separated, they haven't since their debut, so it will most likely stay the same if both return.
  • Young Link would be pretty redundant, having three forms of Link on the roster that will most likely stay the same moveset-wise. Not to mention Toon Link replaced Young Link so it'd be questionable why he's there. Then again, a Zelda newcomer in general is pretty unlikely IMO, we have the characters we need for that series.
  • Replacing Pokemon Trainer with the Johto Trainer does not make sense. Getting rid of the first protagonist with the some of the most iconic Pokemon is nonsensical. They will not get rid of Charizard, they would never do that.
  • I don't have that much of an opinion on Black Shadow, but I'm pretty fine with him being in.
  • Fire Emblem. I assume they will be having more content from Awakening (most likely in the form of a playable character). I feel as if Lyn missed her chance but she's plausible, as is Roy. But I feel as if the likes of Chrom, Lucina, and/or Robin will get in before them, or at least before Lyn. Roy is still popular. And I also think a 4th FE character is as necessary as, say, 4 DK characters, a 2nd KI character, and especially a 2nd Metroid character. Then again, reps and whatnot. Still, having 4 FE reps and 1 Metroid (ZSS is debatable) and KI rep is unsettling to say the least.
  • Waluigi ain't a Wario character. Sakurai has already given his decision on what Franchise Waluigi belongs in, and that's Mario. Not saying Waluigi is a bad choice, but as a Wario rep, NO. (I also kinda belive that Mario doesn't need any more characters).
  • Why Male Wii Fit Trainer? Why does that make sense as his own character, especially when he's already been shown off on the site, he would've had a page up.
  • Felix and Andy... I don't even know who Felix is. But yeah, put Little Mac in there! Replace Felix with the Big Mac. As for Andy, someone like Shulk, the Miis, or a rep like Lip or Takamaru will get in before him.
  • You already have Goku as your "dream choice". So yeah.
Now your cuts are Lucas and R.O.B. Despite loving him, I can kinda understand Lucas being cut, but R.O.B. has no reason to leave. At all. It's the same when people were cutting G&W pre-Brawl. The excuse people have for cutting R.O.B. would've kept him out of Brawl.

Overall, could use some work (unless this is a dream roster, if it was then I wasted both of our times). Welcome to the forums by the way.
I'm pretty sure is a joke roster...

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
What's worse is that he added all of these characters, and didn't add Palutena or Bandana Dee, our most wanted newcomers. Are we gonna sit around and let that happen???
Now now, us Bandana Dee supporters don't need to always spread our propaganda... no matter how fun it is. :demon:

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
I personally would really like to see more gender diversity on the roster, and I'm quite pleased to see that this seems to be the case so far. However, I don't think a character should be added, or significantly justified, just for being female. If the character has other great character qualities, then by all means, add them in, otherwise we might get some odd character choices just for the sake of gender diversity.
Exactly what I was thinking. I just don't think being female should give instant access. However, those previous characters I stated are some that I often see fall into example.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Do we want to start up a bandana dee discussion now?

?????????????

Smash Master
If Bandana Dee were playable in SSB4, would it be more appropriate for his name to be "Bandana Dee" or "Waddle Dee"?

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
why not Pidgeot for smash bros? I mean, right now is his peak in popularity...

Last edited:

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
IF Palutena ended up being an AT, and it was revealed, who do you think would be the second character from the series?

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
If Bandana Dee were playable in SSB4, would it be more appropriate for his name to be "Bandana Dee" or "Waddle Dee"?
In Japan he'd be referred to as Bandana Waddle Dee, as that's his name there.
In America he is referred to as Waddle Dee.

IF Palutena ended up being an AT, and it was revealed, who do you think would be the second character from the series?
No one or Medusa.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom