• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Yes... King Hippo is my next most wanted Punch-Out!! character after Little Mac.

I like that Forward Smash idea.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Going off punch out reps besides DK a little and saying this

Im excited 8 day to go then we are so close to mewtwo coming back where he belongs.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
I would take Doc Louis over King Hippo any day. I would be happy if he was a clone character of Mac with slower speed, hits harder, but better recovery.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
There already is a second punch out character playable,
I always wondered why he doesn't use a bat in Mario Superstar Baseball.
I would take Doc Louis over King Hippo any day. I would be happy if he was a clone character of Mac with slower speed, hits harder, but better recovery.
Eh, idk, he's pretty fat, so he ain't no air fighter either. I could be missing something though, as I have no expertise in Punch-Out.

TheSpitefulWolf

Smash Journeyman
Zero reason to think there'll be more DLC. Sakurai's clearly not on board with the process, and M2 feels like a rush job so far. Plus, Ninty's Amiibo strategy is.... Lackluster. Nevermind the announcement of fewer updates. Ironically, this is GOOD for the game, cause it'll let things organically grow and evolve(ala MvC2, remember when Guile was 'top-tier'?). Or, y'know, Melee after over a decade of no patches.

I really think that there may be a few QoL patches and some bugfixing, but expecting major content seems to be the road to disappointment. Sakurai still doesn't seem keen on the idea of regular releases, especially given how he referred to the current DLC he's working on("for some reason, I promised Mewtwo"). Makes it sound like he got caught overpromising Peter Molyneux-style. Add in the fact that the Mewtwo DLC is taking a very long time, and it just seems frankly unrealistic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
It's not really about whether Sakurai thinks it works or not. If Nintendo think it works, they will release DLC, even more likely considering that Sakurai doesn't need to get involved hands-on anymore and he can just approve the work done by the freelancers at Sora / Namco for designing and coding.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'm still Doc > Hippo
You need that race equality. :troll:
Also,the more I think about Doc as DLC,the more I think about how Little Mac's victory pose would go if Doc is with Mac in a battle (since Doc is always there during it.) Then I thought they could just remove Doc except for the last one where he raises Mac's arm up. A solution for a new one would probably be Mac's winning animation from Punch-Out Wii if he doesn't get knocked down. You know,the one where he jumps,then does a lot of punches then does some sweet pose? That would be cool,I guess.

Onto something else,Mewtwo. This time,just the Final Smash. Mewtwonite X or Y? If he uses X,he could use Psyshock. If he uses Y,he could use...uh...Psyshock. So,just RNG which one he turns into,then Psyshock? Yeah,cool. We're done here.

Donkey Kong Jr

Smash Cadet
I'd say it's at least somewhat likely. I wouldn't be surprised either way, but I'm really hoping for some more character and stage related dlc.

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
Zero reason to think there'll be more DLC. Sakurai's clearly not on board with the process, and M2 feels like a rush job so far. Plus, Ninty's Amiibo strategy is.... Lackluster. Nevermind the announcement of fewer updates. Ironically, this is GOOD for the game, cause it'll let things organically grow and evolve(ala MvC2, remember when Guile was 'top-tier'?). Or, y'know, Melee after over a decade of no patches.
Oh yes, zero reason! It's not like the 3DS version is designed to support DLC, or that Sakurai has said he's perfectly open to creating future DLC, or the fact that there is a very high demand for DLC.

Yup. No reason.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
What Sakurai said back in November,
“I understand that DLC could add a lot to the appeal of Smash Bros.,” Sakurai said, “and I appreciate that a major part of the excitement for these games come from which characters will appear in the roster, so I think fans could really enjoy DLC that could keep this excitement going. However, I think there might be criticism that we are cutting up content to sell characters one by one, or that we are adding things later that should have been there from the start.”

“Creating a single fighter involves a huge investment, and we’ve already been giving it our all and investing a lot of work in the characters currently available in the game and, I think it’s an incredible package in terms of the sheer amount of content in the game. But it might be that people may not understand and may think that I am not offering enough by just looking at DLC itself.

“In light of this, we always need to weigh up both sides of this topic and carefully consider whether it really is best to have DLC or not.”

“However, what I can say now about paid DLC is that we aren’t working on anything at the moment,” he continued. “We’ve put all our efforts into making the actual game. Creating DLC would involve large additional costs and require the involvement of a lot of people. I can’t yet give you an answer about whether the price would justify the costs and criticisms mentioned above.”
This was made on November 19 2014, and I think he said it again (or it was reposted) on December 14 2014.
He never said anywhere that Mewtwo was the only DLC character, he just said at the given time that he was unsure if he should do more DLC, and that there were no plans at the moment, but he is open to the idea and realizes that fans could really enjoy DLC characters.

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
Regarding Kid Icarus, no matter how many times people want to disagree, it in no way, shape, or form deserves three characters. Two is fine, and even though Dark Pit is just a clone, I would have preferred characters like Roy or even Pichu to take his place. Also, in the opening trailer, Kid Icarus should not have been featured. If any other franchise other than Yoshi was to be represented in the opening trailer, it should have been Fire Emblem.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Hmmmm something weird i found (i know everyone here probably did as well but.)

Did anybody else know about the captain rainbow song on the boxing ring stage?

I mean a trophy and a song, that sound like captain rainbow could have ben considered. (but thats crazy talk)

Regarding Kid Icarus, no matter how many times people want to disagree, it in no way, shape, or form deserves three characters. Two is fine, and even though Dark Pit is just a clone, I would have preferred characters like Roy or even Pichu to take his place.
2 is fine and dark pit was still originally an alt. Pichu and roy weren't. also a 2nd marth clone? and 5 FE characters? no ty

Also, in the opening trailer, Kid Icarus should not have been featured. If any other franchise other than Yoshi was to be represented in the opening trailer.
this I can agree with
it should have been Fire Emblem.
this I can not.

Hmmmm something weird i found (i know everyone here probably did as well but.)

Did anybody else know about the captain rainbow song on the boxing ring stage?

I mean a trophy and a song, that sound like captain rainbow could have ben considered. (but thats crazy talk)
A trophy and a song is almost nothing. little mac just so happened to be in captain rainbow. likely a small nod and nothing more

Last edited:

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
I wouldn't be surprised if DLC doesn't become a thing until the next game. Just look at how long Mewtwo is taking.
Or if we get small bits of DLC from now till Smash 5. A character taking six months? We might get one more after Mewtwo, plus some stages and game modes, some songs, and by the time that's all done and we have it it'll be 2018 and the hype train will begin anew for the next smash game.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
So, it's almost March, and no news about Mewtwo yet. At this rate, am trying to keep expectations now and guess we're lucky if we'd be getting Wolf after Mewtwo...

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
King Hippo is a Pacific Islander, not white. :awesome:
I know.
But I would like to know when distant islanders in an unknown land got Smash Bros. :troll:

So, it's almost March, and no news about Mewtwo yet. At this rate, am trying to keep expectations now and guess we're lucky if we'd be getting Wolf after Mewtwo...
Why Wolf specifically? Lucas is also available. Maybe the PKMN Trainer if he gets a moveset based on a trainer. I want to run over people with my sweet bike.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
I know.
But I would like to know when distant islanders in an unknown land got Smash Bros. :troll:

Why Wolf specifically? Lucas is also available. Maybe the PKMN Trainer if he gets a moveset based on a trainer. I want to run over people with my sweet bike.
And a sweet sweet fishing rod tether, and rock pelting akin to Villagers fair/bair, I'm about it

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
So, because we haven't heard anything else about a DLC character that supposedly takes a lot of work and would release in Spring, and it's still Winter... We likely won't be getting anything else beyond that?

Personally, I think it's likely that we'll see a few characters beyond Mewtwo. They just won't be producing DLC character in masses, that's all.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Don't worry about DLC. Just play SSB4. That's what I'm doing. :awesome:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
So, because we haven't heard anything else about a DLC character that supposedly takes a lot of work and would release in Spring, and it's still Winter... We likely won't be getting anything else beyond that?

Personally, I think it's likely that we'll see a few characters beyond Mewtwo. They just won't be producing DLC character in masses, that's all.
Speaking of which

For a newcomer if mewtwo commences sakurai For more dlc characters/stages/modes/and more

Captain toad may have a chance

http://nintendoeverything.com/capta...s-to-see-the-character-in-a-variety-of-games/

Not the toad we want but this is significant.

Last edited:

RoseyBetch

Smash Journeyman
I'm trying to imagine why they wouldn't give an update on Mewtwo, as it probably wouldn't take them this long to release him. I'm thinking they might be giving in a few bonus stages to go along with any DLC characters that might happen, so maybe a new Pokemon stage that involves Mewtwo in some way?

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

RoseyBetch

Smash Journeyman
Not the Toad we want?
I have seen very few Toad fans who wouldn't gladly take Captain Toad in his place.
But that is interesting...
As much as I'd like to think DK would deserve a third rep over an 8th (technically 10th) Mario rep, I can see Nintendo putting him in anyway.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
As much as I'd like to think DK would deserve a third rep over an 8th (technically 10th) Mario rep, I can see Nintendo putting him in anyway.
I would like to think that if we Nintendo would include both Captain Toad and a new Donkey Kong character, and if we get one I will be waiting for the other.

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
I'm trying to imagine why they wouldn't give an update on Mewtwo, as it probably wouldn't take them this long to release him. I'm thinking they might be giving in a few bonus stages to go along with any DLC characters that might happen, so maybe a new Pokemon stage that involves Mewtwo in some way?
Why do you say that? They said he would release in Spring, and it is not Spring yet, it's not like he's taking longer then expected (Or maybe he is, but we don't actually know that). As for why they haven't given an update... well, what are they gonna say? I'm sure we'll get some sort of showcase of Mewtwo, but that showcase could be at any point before his release. Could be next week, could be a week before he releases, who knows?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
It's a start.

Plus he said a variety of games.
Him getting his own game is a great start. He needs to show up in more games... where he's shown doing different things (giving supporters moveset ideas). Hell, have him be a composite character in Smash where he uses some moves from his own game and some moves from the original Toad in SMB2 and some moves from the Toads in NSMB games.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I hope we see Captain Toad with a weight mechanic where he becomes heavier by digging up treasure and becomes lighter by tossing them at enemies.
Seriously! It would be interesting AND fun.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
King Hippo is not an important character in Punch-Out. He is not even in half of the games.

I think the next Punch-Out rep will very much be dependent on the next Punch-Out game, which I do believe is in development. The Wii game was a million seller and Little Mac had been extremely well received (globally) in Smash Bros.

We don't know what a possible Punch-Out sequel will look like though. Will you be Little Mac still? Will they turn the blonde haired Mac from Super Punch-Out into a separate character? Could it possibly be a prequel where you play as a young Doc Louis? Maybe you can fight through the women's division as a new female protagonist who trains with Mac under Doc?

If the new Punch-Out has a change in protagonist, then that character will definitely get in.

I'm also fine with Kid Icarus getting over repped, simply because the game is full of interesting characters with diverse abilities. It's the same reason I am okay with Fire Emblem getting over repped (and make no mistake, it is over repped at the moment.)

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
King Hippo is not an important character in Punch-Out. He is not even in half of the games.

I think the next Punch-Out rep will very much be dependent on the next Punch-Out game, which I do believe is in development. The Wii game was a million seller and Little Mac had been extremely well received (globally) in Smash Bros.

We don't know what a possible Punch-Out sequel will look like though. Will you be Little Mac still? Will they turn the blonde haired Mac from Super Punch-Out into a separate character? Could it possibly be a prequel where you play as a young Doc Louis? Maybe you can fight through the women's division as a new female protagonist who trains with Mac under Doc?

If the new Punch-Out has a change in protagonist, then that character will definitely get in.

I'm also fine with Kid Icarus getting over repped, simply because the game is full of interesting characters with diverse abilities. It's the same reason I am okay with Fire Emblem getting over repped (and make no mistake, it is over repped at the moment.)
It is really weird. The single opponent I always see people talking about in Punch Out is always King Hippo... I assumed he must've been the final encounter in the game's or something, but no, he's not, in fact, he never is and doesn't even come close. The main reason why King Hippo is highly regarded is because of his unique appearance (according to the guides I read) and the fact that he appeared in Captain N.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
It is really weird. The single opponent I always see people talking about in Punch Out is always King Hippo... I assumed he must've been the final encounter in the game's or something, but no, he's not, in fact, he never is and doesn't even come close. The main reason why King Hippo is highly regarded is because of his unique appearance (according to the guides I read) and the fact that he appeared in Captain N.
Pretty much, yeah. He's sort of a fan favourite because he looks cool and is one of the most unique fights (you can't KO him normally, you have to slowly wear him down until he's floored, at which point he can't get up and you win by default).

Not sure if a new Punch-Out!! character is necessary right now, but if, as @ Spazzy_D Spazzy_D said, a new game is released in the near future, it could definitely work. I'd personally like to see a new protagonist (the female boxer sounds brilliant) with a whole new cast of opponents. :3

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Everyone knows Glass Joe would destroy the Smash cast. No competition. Seriously though, I'm not on board for another Punch-Out character yet, but I think King Hippo would bring "the most" from that series.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Everyone knows Glass Joe would destroy the Smash cast. No competition. Seriously though, I'm not on board for another Punch-Out character yet, but I think King Hippo would bring "the most" from that series.
Well he did floor Nick Bruiser...

Once.

Joke characters are fun.

My favourite joke character suggestion for Smash is Wobuffett of course. Robin's run speed, Little Mac's recovery, Palutena's specials and Ganondorf's KO power multiplied by ten.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
He's a fan favorite, but he's only actually appeared in 2 out of 5 games. I wouldn't mind Hippo, but supporting him is about as sensible as supporting Tharja. Bald Bull, Sandman, and Super Macho Man make more sense as reoccurring and important (major circuit) opponents, and several other boxers (like Great Tiger or Aran Ryan) have easier to translate move sets.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom