• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Not to mention it's downright impossible to implement her as such in the first place.
No, it "literally" isn't. The only things in Diddy's entire moveset that cannot be imitated properly by Dixie are anything that has to do with his tail.

Exactly, they could've made Dixie an alt then a character instead.
This isn't true either. While Dixie's lack of a tail isn't enough to stop her from working as a near-identical clone, it is enough to stop her from being a direct alt of Diddy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Actually, I would've been less annoyed with :4darkpit: if he was actually original.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Is that how Smashchu feels now? I wonder... same with other DHD detractors who vehemently opposed my DHD support for years.

Depressing that Nintendo refused to buy Banjo-Kazooie, Conker, Perfect Dark, Jet Force Gemini, Killer Instinct, Sabre Wulf, Battletoads, and (my childhood favorite) Snake Rattle 'n' Roll... It makes me so sad to know that these characters will never be in Smash.

We could have gotten Diddy Kong Racing U too.
We could still get Diddy Kong Racing U, just without the other Diddy Kong Racing characters. They'd have to replace all characters without the last name "Kong" and not named "Krunch."

I've actually heard, though, that Nintendo owned the rights to Banjo-Kazooie, and they gave them up in exchange for the rights to all Kong and Kremling characters owned by Rare (all Kongs/Kremlings created in the N64 era). That's just a rumor, though.

As far as clones go, I have to agree with @ N3ON N3ON . People keep arguing about Dixie's originality, and personally, I try to argue that myself, but when you really think about it... what does Dixie have? In classic DKC, all she has over Diddy Kong is her hair glide and she's slightly slower. Diddy has Jet Barrels, so obviously he can't get them, so instead Dixie gets her Ponytail Whirl from TF. In TF, she's identical to Diddy except for her ponytail whirl. She even gets a gun in TF, the Bubblegum Popgun.

That's all Dixie has. The rest of Diddy's moves were made up in Smash. If you just go with what Dixie has, you can easily make her a slightly altered clone of Diddy Kong. She'd take a small bit more work than Dark Pit would. Maybe replace a couple more of Diddy's moves (such as his elongated arm Smash attack with a hair attack). And replace Final Smash with Rambi since she can't use the Jet Barrels.

And this is coming from someone who absolutely LOVES Dixie Kong, she's always been my favorite DK character. People just keep on overplaying how "original" she is, when that's not really the case at all. She doesn't HAVE that much material to work with.

Completely agreed.

Dixie Kong has a lot of room for uniqueness and, even though I never touched a DKC game, I agree that she shouldn't be a nearly identical clone of Diddy as the likes of Dark Pit and Lucina are of Pit and Marth. Not to mention it's downright impossible to implement her as such in the first place. I could see her getting some similar moves as Diddy, though.

Anyway, it sure gets irritating seeing certain kinds of ignorant nonsense being spouted even to this day.

Heh... Knowing people, even if Dixie was implemented as a clone, it would likely happen that the people currently complaining about Dark Pit and Lucina would have complained about her being a clone. People will always find something to complain about. It's human nature.
You yourself admitted you've never played a DK game. I've played every single DKC game and DK64. Dixie's not as original as everyone keeps trying to imply. Potential originality =/= actual originality. Dixie's only slightly more original than Chrom due to her hair, but if going based only on moves she uses in the games, she's hardly different from Diddy Kong, and Diddy Kong WILL be used as a basis for her moveset, because that's what ALWAYS happens with "similar" characters.

Actually, I would've been less annoyed with :4darkpit: if he was actually original.
I wouldn't. Dark Pit is bad enough as a clone. If he was a fully original character that'd be even worse, because he could've easily been replaced by a DIFFERENT Kid Icarus character that'd actually be more interesting, like Medua, or a character from a different franchise entirely.

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
In speculation, I didn't care about the majority of the characters we have in the game, and I still really don't. I jumped on the Shulk bandwagon because he had a cool looking sword, (Glad I did, Xenoblades a fantastic game, but I didn't play it until after Shulk was leaked to be in Smash) I knew Little Mac was a long overdue character, I supported Palutena but ended up disliking her after her reveal, and I've always wanted Bowser Jr. in Smash. That's about it, the other characters I didn't particularly care for or outright disliked.

Ironically, the only real boost in popularity for me was Dark Pit. His role as a clone in the game is perfect, I enjoy playing as him, and I actually find him to be the better Kid Icarus newcomer.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
I wouldn't. Dark Pit is bad enough as a clone. If he was a fully original character that'd be even worse, because he could've easily been replaced by a DIFFERENT Kid Icarus character that'd actually be more interesting, like Medua, or a character from a different franchise entirely.
In terms of actual moveset potential and general ideas, :4darkpit: like :4tlink: to me. Both have a lot of material they could pull from their respective games to actually be interesting characters to play as. Yes, I know the reason as to why :4darkpit: is in the game, I simply want to see them build more upon him since there is a lot you can do with him. That is of course, he comes back in the next game.

ZeldaFan01

Cassie Shore/Shelby Goodkind (Netflix)
NNID
?
I still don't see why they didn't put Medusa and Hades.. I foresaw the roster as Pit, Palutena, Hades, and Medusa. It would've been much more fun! and I thought it was a given since Sakurai made Uprising. I didn't get that much of a smash vibe from Phosphora and Magnus or Viridi but they would've been cool I guess
*shrugs*
It's really weird how there's no mention or anything to do with Hades and Medusa in SSB4..
In speculation, I didn't care about the majority of the characters we have in the game, and I still really don't. I jumped on the Shulk bandwagon because he had a cool looking sword, (Glad I did, Xenoblades a fantastic game, but I didn't play it until after Shulk was leaked to be in Smash) I knew Little Mac was a long overdue character, I supported Palutena but ended up disliking her after her reveal, and I've always wanted Bowser Jr. in Smash. That's about it, the other characters I didn't particularly care for or outright disliked.

Ironically, the only real boost in popularity for me was Dark Pit. His role as a clone in the game is perfect, I enjoy playing as him, and I actually find him to be the better Kid Icarus newcomer.
H..how is it possible to dislike Palutena? That is, like, totally foreign to me..

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
If you would swap one character on the roster for another that didn't make it, you give as much of a **** as we do, and hate as much as we hate.
Not really. It's just a game. In the end, it's what it is: a game. Nothing really important, for it's just entertainment.

I ride the hype train and there are characters I like and all, but I'm not going to be wasting time complaining about this or that character. I mean, what's the point?

Brawl didn't have any of the characters I wanted there and had Mewtwo cut, and despite all that, it still managed to be one of my favorite games of all time.

I can lament over characters being cut or not making it in, but whining about it? I have better things to do with my life than acting like a spoiled kid.

All in all, I came to realize I don't care that much about the character roster. At least, not to the point of complaining and whining over characters that did or didn't make in.

No, it "literally" isn't. The only things in Diddy's entire moveset that cannot be imitated properly by Dixie are anything that has to do with his tail.
I meant as a clone with as little changes as Dark Pit and Lucina. I meant as a clone upgraded from an alt. That is literally impossible.

I did say she could have some moves Diddy has, thus being Diddy clone. They do share similar body proportions, after all.

Last edited:
I still don't see why they didn't put Medusa and Hades.. I foresaw the roster as Pit, Palutena, Hades, and Medusa. It would've been much more fun! and I thought it was a given since Sakurai made Uprising. I didn't get that much of a smash vibe from Phosphora and Magnus or Viridi but they would've been cool I guess
*shrugs*
It's really weird how there's no mention or anything to do with Hades and Medusa in SSB4..

H..how is it possible to dislike Palutena? That is, like, totally foreign to me..
Uprising is my favorite game if all time.
but 3 newcomers? No. Just no.

And you should see the viridi thread

Also more dark pit discussion yay :rolleyes:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
So what if Dixie is not super YOOOOONEEEEEK. Her hair is what is gonna make her playstyle different from Diddy even if they have similar (or identical) A and B moves. Her hair gives her the ability to float, right? Now, imagine a fighter who is like Diddy but with the ability to float like Peach (I am picturing the player holding down the X or Y button to keep Dixie floating). That means the way you play as Diddy is different from the way you play as Dixie even though they might have similar (or identical) A and B moves.

Hell, I don't even play Dr. Mario the same way I play Mario. Same with Link and Toon Link, Ness and Lucas, Captain Falcon and Ganondorf, and Fox and Wolf.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I reckon my stray idea of putting clones as alts of existing characters to save space and look tidier would work.

You could then justify as many clones as you like because they're not taking up space and they don't clutter the CSS, which would be cool.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
So what if Dixie is not super YOOOOONEEEEEK. Her hair is what is gonna make her playstyle different from Diddy even if they have similar (or identical) A and B moves. Her hair gives her the ability to float, right? Now, imagine a fighter who is like Diddy but with the ability to float like Peach (I am picturing the player holding down the X or Y button to keep Dixie floating). That means the way you play as Diddy is different from the way you play as Dixie even though they might have similar (or identical) A and B moves.

Hell, I don't even play Dr. Mario the same way I play Mario. Same with Link and Toon Link, Ness and Lucas, Captain Falcon and Ganondorf, and Fox and Wolf.
See, here's the thing. I have absolutely NO PROBLEMS with this at all. I don't CARE if Dixie is "super unique." The only point I'm trying to make, and some others, is that Dixie isn't "so unique" that she'd "HAVE" to have her own entirely original moveset. Yes, if they just give Dixie her core abilities and everything else is a Diddy clone, that's a pretty good semiclone moveset.

Its not about having a problem with her being unique (in fact, N3ON is perfectly fine with that). The problem is the notion that Dixie MUST be 100% original, and WILL be 100% original if she's added. Which isn't necessarily going to be the case.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Take it from me. It's very possible. VERY possible.

One of the issues I have with Dark Pit is that unlike Dr. Mario or Lucina, it doesn't feel as if making him a clone changed anything from regular Pit. With Doc and Lucina, you have to play them differently than Marth or Mario to get the most out of them with Dark Pit, literally the only differences are is neutral and side specials. It also bothers me that he has a unique victory theme, yet Gaondorf still doesn't.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
*shrugs*

To be frank, expecting three brand new Kid Icarus characters seems pretty unreadable. Even with Sakurai bias.

They at least got trophies. That's something (though I admit there's missed potential with not having Hades as part of the Guidances).

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Does anyone think one of the main reasons why Palutena was included was because her name was in many of the Japanese version of the KI titles?
Seriously? No, Sakurai put her in because she was in Uprising, a game that Sakurai made... and many people wanted Palutena in Smash after they played Uprising... and they wanted more female characters in Smash. It was a win-win situation for Sakurai, Uprising fans, and Smash female character supporters. I think that the biggest reason people are mad at Palutena's inclusion is because she's stigmatized by Sakurai's Bias.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Seriously? No, Sakurai put her in because she was in Uprising, a game that Sakurai made... and many people wanted Palutena in Smash after they played Uprising... and they wanted more female characters in Smash. It was a win-win situation for Sakurai, Uprising fans, and Smash female character supporters. I think that the biggest reason people are mad at Palutena's inclusion is because she's stigmatized by Sakurai's Bias.
I'm not at all mad at Palutena's inclusion personally. I just think she's a very boring looking character to play as. Her moves aren't all that interesting, not even her custom moves, she's just got a bunch of random things mixed together and is overall unimpressive.

Considering how she had original custom moves compared to other characters, that just makes things even worse, because she's got a larger variety of moves which likely took more development time, and none of them are really all that interesting. Despite her potential she's just kinda bland and "meh" overall.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
While we prone to differences in opinion, I must shake your hand for this insight. I concur with gusto. :3

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Well, one point of note about this... I feel like Sakurai fully planned on including her in Smash long before the fans saw her in action and wanted to play as her in Smash. Sakurai started Smash immediately after finishing Uprising and likely already had a preliminary list. I'm sure she was already on there before the fans even had a chance to play the game. As I've heard, prior to release fans wanted Medusa more.

That said, Palutena was the better choice since she appeared in all three games alongside Pit himself.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
I reckon my stray idea of putting clones as alts of existing characters to save space and look tidier would work.

You could then justify as many clones as you like because they're not taking up space and they don't clutter the CSS, which would be cool.
When you say "saving space", are you referring to the CSS or data?

Anyway, I do like the idea. Dunno how likely it is with Sakurai's logic (especially since the clones now are their own fighters), but it's something.

Last edited:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
When you say "saving space", are you referring to the CSS or data?

Anyway, I do like the idea. Dunno how likely it is with Sakurai's logic (especially since the clones now are their own fighters), but it's something.
Purely on the CSS. I like aesthetic economy. :3

ZeldaFan01

Cassie Shore/Shelby Goodkind (Netflix)
NNID
?
Uprising is my favorite game if all time.
but 3 newcomers? No. Just no.

And you should see the viridi thread

Also more dark pit discussion yay :rolleyes:
Take it from me. It's very possible. VERY possible.

One of the issues I have with Dark Pit is that unlike Dr. Mario or Lucina, it doesn't feel as if making him a clone changed anything from regular Pit. With Doc and Lucina, you have to play them differently than Marth or Mario to get the most out of them with Dark Pit, literally the only differences are is neutral and side specials. It also bothers me that he has a unique victory theme, yet Gaondorf still doesn't.
To be frank, expecting three brand new Kid Icarus characters seems pretty unreadable. Even with Sakurai bias.

They at least got trophies. That's something (though I admit there's missed potential with not having Hades as part of the Guidances).
So. We're only limited to 2 newcomers from KI like Kirby in Brawl? I don't mean this literally I'm just asking that because you guys don't seem to think that that is a good idea.i would think they would put at least one more newcomer because Nintendo and Sakurai is done with that franchise, and it would make less sense to put more in a future ssb.
And you can't just dislike Palutena... I mean she's the Zelda of KI. But if you don't like her that's totally fine...
I admit though I would have liked Dark Pit more if he used Dark Pit Staff as more of a main weapon. Because the clone status is not working for me

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
So. We're only limited to 2 newcomers from KI like Kirby in Brawl? I don't mean this literally I'm just asking that because you guys don't seem to think that that is a good idea.i would think they would put at least one more newcomer because Nintendo and Sakurai is done with that franchise, and it would make less sense to put more in a future ssb.
And you can't just dislike Palutena... I mean she's the Zelda of KI. But if you don't like her that's totally fine...
I admit though I would have liked Dark Pit more if he used Dark Pit Staff as more of a main weapon. Because the clone status is not working for me
How does this logic apply? If they're not likely to work on that franchise in the future, it makes LESS sense for even MORE characters to be added for the franchise. Its a ridiculous notion, especially when there's lots of other franchises that have potential for more characters and for major characters to keep appearing (Dixie Kong, Impa, Isaac if a future GS comes around) or come back (like K. Rool in DKC).

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Well, one point of note about this... I feel like Sakurai fully planned on including her in Smash long before the fans saw her in action and wanted to play as her in Smash. Sakurai started Smash immediately after finishing Uprising and likely already had a preliminary list. I'm sure she was already on there before the fans even had a chance to play the game. As I've heard, prior to release fans wanted Medusa more.

That said, Palutena was the better choice since she appeared in all three games alongside Pit himself.
I remember it was divided between Palutena and Medusa prior to Uprising release. After that, most fans flocked to Palutena, Dark Pit, Viridi, and Hades... especially after they learned that Medusa wasn't even the main villain in Uprising, but a pawn of Hades.

I heard that Sakurai finalized the roster around May or June 2012... Uprising came out on March 2012 and Awakening on April 2012... oh, and Xenoblade finally came to the USA on April 2012... so yeah, he probably had a preliminary list... probably one that had Chrom (before he decided to put Robin in instead after playing Awakening) and Chorus Kids (Rhythm Heaven Fever had just came out to the USA on February 2012) on it along with Palutena, Shulk, and Pokemon from X & Y (before he saw some concept art for Greninja).

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
The Sakurai bias thing is an unfortunate side effect of the 3DS version having a ton of imported content from Kid Icarus: Uprising. Both are 3DS games and the development team had access to all sorts of assets from that game, so it was a very convenient and fast way of putting more content in the game. The Wii U version has a lot less content from Kid Icarus, having about as much content as the Fire Emblem series.

Models were used for trophies and there are lot of recycled enemies from KIU in Smash Run (the animations and AI are nearly identical to their original appearances).

Ironically, you could say that KIU has a lot of Sakurai bias, with the game having a lot of similarities to Smash Bros. regarding gameplay, as it feels a lot like "Smash Bros. meets rail and third person shooters".

It also has:
- tons of references to other Nintendo games (making it feel a lot more like a Smash game at times)
- similar items as Smash: the most blatant is a Smart Bomb that does exactly the same thing as the Star Fox Smart Bomb in Brawl and Smash 4, with the design being the only difference
- there's also the Daybreak item that works like the Dragoon from Kirby Air Ride (and made its way into Smash 4 co-existing with the original inspiration behind it)
- collectible Idols: the same thing as Trophies from Smash, except they use animated models
- the Challenge grid: called Treasure Hunt instead and has feathers instead of hammers, otherwise it's the same thing seen in Sakurai's games since Kirby Air Ride
- boss rush that works exactly the same as Smash's All-Star and Boss Battles modes: you fight all bosses of the game and between each fight you go to a rest area that shows the bosses you've defeated so far and limited healing items

Sakurai recycles game design ideas and concepts regardless of the series he's working on. He imported a lot of KIU stuff into Smash 3DS because those worked in Smash and were easy to port. Common development practice right here: if things from previous projects work in a new one, use them.

Does anyone think one of the main reasons why Palutena was included was because her name was in many of the Japanese version of the KI titles?
Well, the series name in Japan is called Hikari Shinwa: Parutena no Kagami (Light Myth: Palutena's Mirror).

The second game wasn't released in Japan (until the VC release) and I don't think it has a Japanese title either. Kid Icarus: Uprising is called Shin Hikari Shinwa: Parutena no Kagami (New Light Myth: Palutena's Mirror).

Anyway, Palutena is the most important character after Pit in the series and fills a role similar to Peach and Zelda in their respective series. In Japan, she also happens to be the title character of the series.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
From the split second it became known that Uprising was Sakurai's new project, "Uprising Rep" instantly shot to the top of fans' expected newcomers..."Sakurai" and "new game" alone will do that, but the intersection between those two criteria? No question. Medusa and Magnus were the ones who got like three seconds of trailer screentime, so everyone swarmed to them before learning how minor they were in the grand scheme of things compared to Palutena.

I think, with Kid Icarus content, it's the small insignificant things that cast a questionable shadow over the others. Like, sure you can explain away as many enemies as Mario as "resources," but when Pit gets so much unnecessary screentime in game, for example, being showcased as a major Nintendo series in the first trailer before a handful of others or placed on the "Smash" button alongside much bigger names in Mario, Link and Samus, it leaves a lot of room for doubt, especially with all the other content (items/ATs in particular).

Dixie has grown on me as an option after my recent playthrough of Tropical Freeze with my girlfriend. For SSB4, one "DK Rep" might have been satisfactory, but moving forward, anything less than BOTH K. Rool and Dixie is disappointing IMO. Would be like adding only one of Bowser/Peach or MK/Dedede into Melee/Brawl. I hope people catch onto this instead of continuing the "reps" mentality.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I think, with Kid Icarus content, it's the small insignificant things that cast a questionable shadow over the others. Like, sure you can explain away as many enemies as Mario as "resources," but when Pit gets so much unnecessary screentime in game, for example, being showcased as a major Nintendo series in the first trailer before a handful of others or placed on the "Smash" button alongside much bigger names in Mario, Link and Samus, it leaves a lot of room for doubt, especially with all the other content (items/ATs in particular).
I can agree with that. Kid Icarus really isn't a major series. Though, the series showcased in the first trailer were the series of the first set of returning characters revealed for Smash 4: Mario, Link, Donkey Kong, Pikachu, Kirby, Samus, Fox, Pit and Bowser.

In regards to items/Assist Trophies, Kid Icarus has about as much content as Kirby: 5 items and 2 Assists. Curiously, both series also have 3 characters.

Still on items and Assists, a series that got a lot of those in the new games was Zelda with 3 new Assists and 5 new items on top of 1 returning Assist and 3 returning items.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I want to add that Smash Run is touched by the Sakurai's Bias as it's very similar to City Trial in Kirby Air Ride. I can see why many Kirby fans loved City Trial (I personally haven't played Kirby Air Ride)... Smash Run is my favorite solo mode ever!

I still am so confused that Donkey King still doesn't have an assist trophy.

I don't know why "Sakurai hates metroid" is a thing when Donkey Kong is still in the shadows. Saying that as someone falling in love with metroid and only having played DKC 1 and half of returns.

also lol at comparing Kid Icarus newcomers to Kirby brawl newcomers. Kirby is so much bigger and more popular. 3 unique newcomers would be beyond ridiculous

D

Deleted member

There may be a reason behind the DK franchise getting the short end of the stick in that it's tied to the Marioverse.
Although DK has many elements to make it distinct as it's own label in Smash, there are multiple signs throughout the Smash games that give the indication that DK is merely a separate branch on the Mario tree like how Yoshi and Wario are treated.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Atleast we got Kremlings (DKC Guide don't butcher me now) in Smash Run.

In fact,I was on the hype train on the hopes for a new DK rep. But,I didn't get into the K.Rool vs. Dixie conflict. I like characters that have a unique sense to them. Cranky could've been it,but no. I wanted Funky Kong with the DK64 arsenal equipped with him. In fact,I thought his final smash would be him riding on his barrel airplane from DKC2 and dropping pineapple bombs from above. Oh yeah,I guess he can keep the MKWii noises for the trolling.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
There may be a reason behind the DK franchise getting the short end of the stick in that it's tied to the Marioverse.
Although DK has many elements to make it distinct as it's own label in Smash, there are multiple signs throughout the Smash games that give the indication that DK is merely a separate branch on the Mario tree like how Yoshi and Wario are treated.
I don't think this really applies, though. DK is always separated far more often than Wario and Yoshi in the Smash Bros. games and is, for the most part, considered its own entire separate entity. If anything the real problem is the problem that's been plaguing the DK series for years, and that's the continued effects of the Rare buyout.

DK was entirely spinoffs between DK64 and Returns, then Returns didn't bring back K. Rool or Dixie Kong, and Sakurai didn't take the effort of contacting an overseas developer to see if they were working on a new DK game. By the time it was announced it was too late.

Atleast we got Kremlings (DKC Guide don't butcher me now) in Smash Run.

In fact,I was on the hype train on the hopes for a new DK rep. But,I didn't get into the K.Rool vs. Dixie conflict. I like characters that have a unique sense to them. Cranky could've been it,but no. I wanted Funky Kong with the DK64 arsenal equipped with him. In fact,I thought his final smash would be him riding on his barrel airplane from DKC2 and dropping pineapple bombs from above. Oh yeah,I guess he can keep the MKWii noises for the trolling.
Kremlings in Smash Run are the best thing to happen for DKC in Smash Bros.

The main problem with Funky Kong is he's never had a role in a main game beyond a helper character. Cranky never got it until TF. K. Rool was the main antagonist for most games in the franchise and appeared as a playable character in several spinoffs as well, and Dixie was a recurring playable character in main games and was the star in one.

For DK fans, K. Rool and Dixie are far and beyond the next most important and desired characters. Prior to TF barely anyone considered Cranky as a viable option.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Before TF, I thought it'd be cool for Cranky to have a moveset where he makes use of all of his DK64 potions to change his foes' statuses negatively (basically, an expanded version of what K. Rool does with his clouds). If he were to be added, that'd still be a better focus for him than just bouncing around IMO. He's the clear next in line behind K. Rool and Dixie, but when we struggle to get even one of them in-game, let alone both, he seems like more of a pipe dream at this point.

The "DK is a Mario subseries" point is ironic to me, since the only ties DK has to Mario is in spin-offs, which most fans are usually all too keen to dismiss as "not counting" or "not main series games."

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Before TF, I thought it'd be cool for Cranky to have a moveset where he makes use of all of his DK64 potions to change his foes' statuses negatively (basically, an expanded version of what K. Rool does with his clouds). If he were to be added, that'd still be a better focus for him than just bouncing around IMO. He's the clear next in line behind K. Rool and Dixie, but when we struggle to get even one of them in-game, let alone both, he seems like more of a pipe dream at this point.

The "DK is a Mario subseries" point is ironic to me, since the only ties DK has to Mario is in spin-offs, which most fans are usually all too keen to dismiss as "not counting" or "not main series games."
And recently, only DK himself has been appearing in Mario spinoffs. I think they're probably trying to go through and split the franchises up again now that DK's main series is back full throttle. I'm expecting more DK spinoffs to pop up in the future as well.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
It's funny, a while ago I had made a roster, limiting myself to just 35 characters. I choose who I thought were the most deserving, and both K. Rool and Dixie Kong still enended up making it on that small roster. This is what my 35 limited roster was
:4mario::4luigi::4peach::4bowser::4yoshi::4wario2::4dk::4diddy::4link::4zelda::4ganondorf::4kirby::4dedede::4metaknight::4samus::4fox::4falco::wolf::4pikachu::4charizard::mewtwopm::4lucario::4marth::4myfriends::4pit::4palutena::4olimar::4villager::4falcon::4littlemac::4ness::4gaw: K. Rool, Dixie Kong, Ridley

Last edited:

Cool Typhlosion

Smash Apprentice
Just so the Cranky kong fans know he can't get in. Jungle japes has Cranky in the background . And Jungle Japes is a 3ds stage so Cranky is out of the running:troll:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Just so the Cranky kong fans know he can't get in. Jungle japes has Cranky in the background . And Jungle Japes is a 3ds stage so Cranky is out of the running:troll:

I guess we could say that we shouldn't have an 8-Bit Duck Hunt Dog on the Duck Hunt stage since he's already a playable character (with the Duck as his partner) by that logic.

Cool Typhlosion

Smash Apprentice

I guess we could say that we shouldn't have an 8-Bit Duck Hunt Dog on the Duck Hunt stage since he's already a playable character (with the Duck as his partner) by that logic.
I think that in games like duck hunt there are multiple characters cause the guy is generic
anyone can have a hound so the playable dog and the stage dog could be completely different characters

I think that in games like duck hunt there are multiple characters cause the guy is generic
anyone can have a hound so the playable dog and the stage dog could be completely different characters
I mean cranky isn't happening any time soon, but if you think they wouldn't let a character be playable because of a silhouette (that can be removed) you may want to rethink your reasoning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom