• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I think that in games like duck hunt there are multiple characters cause the guy is generic
anyone can have a hound so the playable dog and the stage dog could be completely different characters
I think the reasoning is a bit simpler.

The Dog you play as is a complete 3D model with the duck always on it's back. The Dog in the stage is an 8-bit sprite, you know where it's going to show up all the time (so it's not like you never expect it to appear) and he is much noticeably larger.
Toon Link in the spirit tracks stage is the same size as the other fighters, and still looks like the playable one (despite the incredible difference in model quality). It was probably better seen that players wouldn't any reason to confuse the two.

Cool Typhlosion

Smash Apprentice

The Dog you play as is a complete 3D model with the duck always on it's back. The Dog in the stage is an 8-bit sprite, you know where it's going to show up all the time (so it's not like you never expect it to appear) and he is much noticeably larger.
Toon Link in the spirit tracks stage is the same size as the other fighters, and still looks like the playable one (despite the incredible difference in model quality). It was probably better seen that players wouldn't any reason to confuse the two.
That too

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux

Train Tink gets replaced when regular Link is on the stage too, though.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I thought Dixie was definitely getting in the game during speculation. I supported both but I really wanted K. Rool in there. DK got the shaft though, not only in characters either. Having 6 or more remixes of the same song is a little much, especially when there's plenty of amazing songs to pick from. Anyway, I think Dixie could've made a good pseudo/semi-clone character. While I'd rather her have a unique moveset, I understand that this takes a lot of development time and I think she's a good pseudo/semi-clone candidate. Outside of King K. Rool, Dixie and maybe Cranky, I can't really think of much that I would really like to see from that series.

I think the problem was mentioned before though. I believe the series was somewhat treated as a branch from the Mario series.

D

Deleted member

I don't think this really applies, though. DK is always separated far more often than Wario and Yoshi in the Smash Bros. games and is, for the most part, considered its own entire separate entity. If anything the real problem is the problem that's been plaguing the DK series for years, and that's the continued effects of the Rare buyout.
I seriously doubt the Rare buyout has any context within Smash outside removing the Cloaking Device item from Perfect Dark and turning the Motion-Sensor Bomb (Goldeneye)/Proximity Mine (Perfect Dark) into a generic made-for-Smash item.

DK was entirely spinoffs between DK64 and Returns, then Returns didn't bring back K. Rool or Dixie Kong, and Sakurai didn't take the effort of contacting an overseas developer to see if they were working on a new DK game. By the time it was announced it was too late.
Between DK64 and Returns was Jungle Beat, which wasn't one of the rhythm spin-offs (despite using the Bongos as the controller), one of the puzzle adventure spin-offs, one of the racing spin-offs, or one of the spin-offs that takes cue from the classic Mario/DK rivalry.
Neither Diddy nor Dixie were in that, and they were both planned to show up in Brawl (though only Diddy made it).

And ignoring the rather laughable idea that Sakurai was completely oblivious to there being a new DK in the works, why would not having a role in a "main" DK game since DK 64 (or DKC3 in Dixie's case) stop them? DK wasn't and isn't a dormant series.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Just so the Cranky kong fans know he can't get in. Jungle japes has Cranky in the background . And Jungle Japes is a 3ds stage so Cranky is out of the running:troll:
I'm smelling an Alfonzo situation here.

Last edited:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I want to add that Smash Run is touched by the Sakurai's Bias as it's very similar to City Trial in Kirby Air Ride. I can see why many Kirby fans loved City Trial (I personally haven't played Kirby Air Ride)... Smash Run is my favorite solo mode ever!
The major issue with Smahs Run, and why City Trail is better, is player interaction. There isn't any in Smash Run. But in City Trial you actively competed with opponents for power-ups and machines. You can even destroy their machine and take their power-ups. Smash Run is too static as you may never see your foes. A mode that use stage like Palutena's Temple on the Wii U would be awesome and fix the issue. It's still a good mode though.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Bomberman and Krystal, full stop. Those two plus Bowser Jr. were my most desired characters for Brawl (so, as you can imagine, I was totally giddy with excitement when I learned that Bowser Jr. got into Smash 4).

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
The major issue with Smahs Run, and why City Trail is better, is player interaction. There isn't any in Smash Run. But in City Trial you actively competed with opponents for power-ups and machines. You can even destroy their machine and take their power-ups. Smash Run is too static as you may never see your foes. A mode that use stage like Palutena's Temple on the Wii U would be awesome and fix the issue. It's still a good mode though.
I would personally play the hell out of the mode if it was available online in the Wii U version. All it would need is a few more maps, the ability to interact with other players in the collection phase, and the ability to control what variety of Smash is played at the end of each round.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I've heard a lot of people say Trixie Kong. But that would be terrible because Sakurai would make her a Diddy clone with different specials. She would still just be dthrow--> up air though.
You said the same thing in another thread, stop with the "Trixie" hate.
LOL.

Seriously.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Ok this we cant argue on
Doc Louis for smash 5
Much clone,such wow.
Super Macho Man,Disco Kid,Aran Ryan,or Great Tiger have potential. I don't know about King Hippo. I don't think he can jump if he tried.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I think Doc Louis could actually be pretty fun. He'd naturally be slower and heavier than Mac, but because Mac's style is based on his size and speed, I think Louis would play more akin to Steve Fox in Tekken or Dudley in Street Fighter: a slower, more defensive boxer that's (somewhat ironically) closer to the real sport of boxing.

And he could chow down on a chocolate bar to restore health and pull out his bike for rapid transport. Honestly, the more I think about it, the more enjoyable and creative it sounds.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I dunno. Doc Louis is pretty chubby, and acts pretty weird for a boxing trainer, so that's a little bit risky.

Not as risky as saying Robin, Krystal, or Reyn would be clones, but it's still risky.
Well,more of a pseudo-clone,to be exact. Yes,I can see his :GCA: attacks being different,with only some looking different. I don't know about the :GCB: though. So,basically Doc Louis right now in my head is a Falco.

Also,you mean this Robin? :4robinm: Batman Robin? Red Robins? Robin Williams? There are so many Robins.
Krystal is another Falco situation,except for one special,though.
Reyn is actually someone I can see not being a clone of. Sword Drive,Topple,too much Reyn to handle.

I think Doc Louis could actually be pretty fun. He'd naturally be slower and heavier than Mac, but because Mac's style is based on his size and speed, I think Louis would play more akin to Steve Fox in Tekken or Dudley in Street Fighter: a slower, more defensive boxer that's (somewhat ironically) closer to the real sport of boxing.

And he could chow down on a chocolate bar to restore health and pull out his bike for rapid transport. Honestly, the more I think about it, the more enjoyable and creative it sounds.
If Doc Louis is confirmed for Smash 5,I want this.

1.jpg

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Well,more of a pseudo-clone,to be exact. Yes,I can see his :GCA: attacks being different,with only some looking different. I don't know about the :GCB: though. So,basically Doc Louis right now in my head is a Falco.

Also,you mean this Robin? :4robinm: Batman Robin? Red Robins? Robin Williams? There are so many Robins.
Reyn is actually someone I can see not being a clone of. Sword Drive,Topple,too much Reyn to handle.

View attachment 39912
I meant the Robin who's playable right now

And clearly someone hasn't ever played StarFox Adventures.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Before TF, I thought it'd be cool for Cranky to have a moveset where he makes use of all of his DK64 potions to change his foes' statuses negatively (basically, an expanded version of what K. Rool does with his clouds). If he were to be added, that'd still be a better focus for him than just bouncing around IMO. He's the clear next in line behind K. Rool and Dixie, but when we struggle to get even one of them in-game, let alone both, he seems like more of a pipe dream at this point.

The "DK is a Mario subseries" point is ironic to me, since the only ties DK has to Mario is in spin-offs, which most fans are usually all too keen to dismiss as "not counting" or "not main series games."
I would love to see some Donkey Kong characters appear in a Mario platformer game like a NSMB game or a 3D Land/World game or a Galaxy game.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

View attachment 39912
Correction

If mewtwo commences sakurai for more dlc

If doc louis is dlc you want the leopard shirt for a alt.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Much clone,such wow.
Super Macho Man,Disco Kid,Aran Ryan,or Great Tiger have potential. I don't know about King Hippo. I don't think he can jump if he tried.
King Hippo has been in two Punch-Out games. Bald Bull has been in five and was also featured in the Nintendo arcade game "Arm Wrestling." Mr. Sandman and Super Macho Man have both been in four games.

I like King Hippo, but the three characters I mentioned have more history with the franchise. They also have more move set potential in my opinion.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
What's this? We're asking for a second Punch Out rep, and it's not Soda Popinski?
What madness is this?!

D

Deleted member

What's this? We're asking for a second Punch Out rep, and it's not Soda Popinski?
What madness is this?!
Я СОДА ПОПИНСКИЙ, Я ЗАДАВЛЮ ТЕБЯ!

....though I'd prefer Mr. Sandman.

EDIT: Actually, I'd much prefer Mike Tyson, despite being a real person.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
No love for Disco Kid? I mean, we can all agree that he has the most charisma and theme out of the Punch Out Wii boxers. Who would want him having "Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! I am fa-bu-lous!" as a victory animation?. :troll:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
No love for Disco Kid? I mean, we can all agree that he has the most charisma and theme out of the Punch Out Wii boxers. Who would want him having "Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! I am fa-bu-lous!" as a victory animation?. :troll:
Nah,more like Up Special,because he would need one,and this is best example.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Oh god. I just finished Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy. I seriously didn't expect that last hour of gameplay.

I'm pretty confident that Layton and Luke are emotionally traumatized with all the crazy horrible things that happen to them. Man....kinda sad that Azran is the last Layton game and I played all the others, including the Phoenix Wright one.....

He has to be in SSB4 now.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Ya Soda Popinski, ya zadavl-something tyeya! :p

I'd take Popinski for a 2nd Punch Out rep too.

:231:
I need a full moveset,stat.
No soda drinking,Doc Louis already took it with his chocolate. :troll:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Wow........I haven't been here in a long time....
Brings back memories...

I was actually playing that last night. "Hey Mac, I got a three-step program for you. I punch you. You fall down. I win."

Seriously though, if there is ever a second Punch-Out character, it would probably be King Hippo, though I would also love to see one of the crazier boxers join the fray.
Most of all, I would want Doc Louis.

Considering all the creative and unique characters in Punch-Out, the lack of assist trophies really dissapoints me.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Explain how he can jump.
Not very high. Tradeoff would be that King Hippo would be really hard to knock around.

Also,up special.
A body slam.
No seriously, that would make a lot of sense.

Actually,any special.
Any special?
Side Special: Hippo Hug; King Hippo leaps forward with a double hook. If the Special button is pressed again after the hook, he will follow up with a double-handed smash, turning the attack into a Hippo Squeeze 'n Squash.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Explain how he can jump. Also,up special. Actually,any special.
He wouldn't be no air fighter, so his jump would be a small hop.

The specials thing could have been said about Mac before he was announced. I mean, all his moves are just different types of punches, so I imagine it wouldn't be that different for Hippo, except he would have some belly-related attacks like sticking his gut out forward, or even a body slam.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
And now I'm fully interested in the idea of King Hippo in Smash. He could essentially have the same mass as Bowser, but even heavier in terms of weight and slightly weaker attacks. And like @GoldenYuiitusin said, the Mega Belly Bump needs to be a proper Forward Smash for him. As for his Final Smash, he could just wear his armor and larger crown from the Title Defense to gain a boost in defense and strength for a short amount of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom