• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Young Link with his Melee moveset + the ability to use his masks from MM would be my top Zelda rep for DLC. He would act as he normally did in Melee only using the taunt buttons would let him transform into either the Deku, Goron, or Zora forms and would each have their own unique movesets.

Also, Fierce Deity as a Final Smash would be hype.

ZeldaFan01

Cassie Shore/Shelby Goodkind (Netflix)
NNID
?
Yeah it just doesn't make sense, and its agonizing just to wait for him to say something. As for 4-5 characters,
:mewtwopm::wolf::lucas:Krool (Impa)
I knooow, it's been bugging me ever since Mewtwo was announced!
And although I want those character you mentioned, I really wan Isaac and a guest character from Splatoon more than anything!
Tetra wasn't part of the "Forbidden 7". The file was labeled "toon_sheik".
People speculate that the file is for Tetra because there technically hasn't been a "Toon Sheik" in the Zelda series, but there are no other character files that are misnomers within Brawl's data.
Ah, well I still wonder why they were scapped at all! So that's why to this day I just say "for unexplained reasons"... and I think it's a little out of place to put some mysterious person named toon sheik right? As one would.
And it's worth noting that if Toon Zelda and Tetra make it in, they'll unfortunately likely be clones especially Toon Zelda because of how :toonlink: is. And he doesn't utilize many items from WW

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Well, in Hyrule Warriors I guess it somewhat makes sense. There's too many dark elements. As for Smash, the main issue is, again, lack of her actually being shown doing something. The reason why Sheik's moveset would work well is because its got that ninja gimmick going for it, so basically taking Sheik's moveset and adding barriers and shadow attacks would reflect Impa as a whole.
Yea I'm down for Impa to be a sheik clone, I just wish we could make it a 1:1 port and make sheik unique, but smash mythos frowns upon that

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I'm going to take all the Zelda characters mentioned and order them from those I want the least to those I want the most.

Ganon (boar)
Toon Zelda
Tetra
Impa
Toon Ganondorf
Tingle
Darunia
Lana
Ghirahim
Midna
VAATI, dammit!

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
I knooow, it's been bugging me ever since Mewtwo was announced!
And although I want those character you mentioned, I really wan Isaac and a guest character from Splatoon more than anything!
I smacked myself for forgetting Isaac, one who is a good choice, I would like Inkling too though,
:mewtwopm::wolf::lucas:Krool (Isaac).

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
People who are holding their breath for more than just Mewtwo are just setting themselves up for disappointment... and I need to reduce my sodium intake.

I'd rather they save characters like Inkling and Chorus Kids for SSB5.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
People who are holding their breath for more than just Mewtwo are just setting themselves up for disappointment... and I need to reduce my sodium intake.

Yes. What's as proposterious as having hope and excitement for a video game.

ZeldaFan01

NNID
?
I smacked myself for forgetting Isaac, one who is a good choice, I would like Inkling too though,
:mewtwopm::wolf::lucas:Krool (Isaac).
Yeah I would Just want Isaac and a character from splatoon. I would want zelda characters but if it were just those two i would be happy. And Isaac and the Splatoon character ar the most commonly speculated and very popular right now.
Look at this picture though to give a more logical representation of what could be possible (I'm sure you've seen pics like this by now)
Add to this list: Isaac, Toon Zelda/Tetra, Impa, Wonder Red (Maybe), King K. Rool

VAATI, dammit!
You mean the Vaati, that's only appeared in Four Swords, Four Swords Adventures, and Minish Cap?
Sadly, that's not gonna happen. :/

I'm sure it's quite hard for a lot of people to choose whether they believe that there will be more than Mewtwo and if there isn't. Im one of them:/

Splatoon and Chorus kids might not even be that popular by the time Smash 5 come out I'm betting.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

Just like people who were holding out for Mewtwo in the first place, amiright?

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere

6+ years? and that's if we even get a new smash bros, besides I'd rather they put in the extra effort to bring back :wolf::lucas: now than wait 6+ years just to see if they'll even bring them back. Why wait, when you could do it now, If I were Sakurai, I'd be bringing making as many cut characters (veteran and newcomer) DLC, plus he did say they would need to frequently update the game due to the online, and there's evidence that suggests more DLC, that and we have have even sent Sakurai some very well written and persuasive letters.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I'm fairly confident we'll get another Smash Bros. honestly. Whether Sakurai is working on it or not is another matter altogether, but judging by sales and the success of amiibos(thus far all Smash related... Until the Mario party wave anyway) Nintendo would be pretty terrible at business to not make another.

Genuinely asking here; Has there ever been an online petition for specific DLC characters in any game that's actually worked?

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I'm fairly confident we'll get another Smash Bros. honestly. Whether Sakurai is working on it or not is another matter altogether, but judging by sales and the success of amiibos(thus far all Smash related... Until the Mario party wave anyway) Nintendo would be pretty terrible at business to not make another.

Genuinely asking here; Has there ever been an online petition for specific DLC characters in any game that's actually worked?
Kinda...

Of course it wasn't just a petition that got Mewtwo back in...

ZeldaFan01

NNID
?
I think if there is another smash game, it will be it's last. And I think it will be a very great idea to only have a normal amount of DLC for SSB4, whatever that is, just to try it out and see what happens in terms of sales. Whether or not it turns out good, the last game should have just about everything from SSB 64 and on (Characters, Stages) all packed into one last smash...
And um..Is this being too far fetched? :surprised:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Honestly, if I had no biases for Zelda and Mario, Inkling and Excitebike would be the only characters I care about for DLC.
I mean, honestly I don't understand how anyone who appreciates clever and creative game design can not like Splatoon.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
6+ years? and that's if we even get a new smash bros, besides I'd rather they put in the extra effort to bring back :wolf::lucas: now than wait 6+ years just to see if they'll even bring them back. Why wait, when you could do it now, If I were Sakurai, I'd be bringing making as many cut characters (veteran and newcomer) DLC, plus he did say they would need to frequently update the game due to the online, and there's evidence that suggests more DLC, that and we have have even sent Sakurai some very well written and persuasive letters.
I had to wait 12 years for Duck Hunt Dog to get in Smash in the first place. I think you can wait 6 years for Wolf/Lucas to come back in SSB5... in the meantime, go back and play Brawl or Project M to get your Wolf/Lucas fix.

Also, if we start adding a bunch of popular characters as DLC in SSB4, who are we going to add in SSB5? And no, there is no "if" when it comes to a new Smash Bros., it is a matter of "when" we will get a new Smash Bros.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
I had to wait 12 years for Duck Hunt Dog to get in Smash in the first place. I think you can wait 6 years for Wolf/Lucas to come back in SSB5... in the meantime, go back and play Brawl or Project M to get your Wolf/Lucas fix.

Also, if we start adding a bunch of popular characters as DLC in SSB4, who are we going to add in SSB5? And no, there is no "if" when it comes to a new Smash Bros., it is a matter of "when" we will get a new Smash Bros.
Yeah I agree. Since we did get Dr. Mario brought back, I can see them waiting to bring back Wolf and Lucas.

Wolf, Lucas, Ice Climbers, Inkling (depending how successful it is), RH rep, Issac, King K, a new retro, a FE rep and a new Pokemon are who I see being added in to the next game and I believe they will be at the top of "returning/newcomer" discussion.

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me

If you ask me, it's more like waiting six years for ANYONE to be announced since we may not even get anymore DLC after Mewtwo.
Yeah I agree. Since we did get Dr. Mario brought back, I can see them waiting to bring back Wolf and Lucas.

Wolf, Lucas, Ice Climbers, Inkling (depending how successful it is), RH Rep, Issac, King K, a new retro, a FE rep and a new Pokemon are who I see being added in to the next game and I believe they will be at the top of "returning/newcomer" discussion.
Isaac and King K Rool are big "If's" considering they have not appeared canonically in a game since Brawl, and since no Golden Sun or Donkey Kong games have been announced thus far, don't you think?

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
If you ask me, it's more like waiting six years for ANYONE to be announced since we may not even get anymore DLC after Mewtwo.

Isaac and King K Rool are big "If's" considering they have not appeared canonically in a game since Brawl, and since no Golden Sun or Donkey Kong games have been announced thus far, don't you think?
First of all, I don't understand why you scratched "RH Rep" from my quote.

And no I don't think it is. Isacc had a shot this game, and with the pool of characters left, I would say that he is an optimal choice. And what do you mean by no Donkey Kong Games? The next smash won't come out for probably 6+ years, and there will be for sure a new Donkey Kong games before then.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301

This rebuttal doesn't hold water to me. "I had to wait, ergo you can wait too"? Look, credit where credit's due, I admire your dedication to your favourite character, but telling somebody that their hopes are essentially unfounded and then using an anecdotal - and rather extreme - comparison to conflate your response seems a bit much to me.

And besides which, being totally blunt about it, there is a massive, MASSIVE gulf between an unseen newcomer whose last major game was in the 80s and a popular veteran who's scheduled to appear in a big way in an upcoming title.

Returns and Tropical Freeze were both released after Brawl. Unless you mean since Smash 4, in which case, you're totally correct and it is a big if. Doesn't mean we can't or shouldn't remain optimistic, of course.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
First of all, I don't understand why you scratched "RH Rep" from my quote.

And no I don't think it is. Isacc had a shot this game, and with the pool of characters left, I would say that he is an optimal choice. And what do you mean by no Donkey Kong Games? The next smash won't come out for probably 6+ years, and there will be for sure a new Donkey Kong games before then.
I'm not saying there won't be anymore Donkey Kong games in between now and then, I just think it's too early to draw conclusions, that's all. Even still, King K Rool has been pretty quiet lately.

And how exactly did Isaac have a shot? I would love to see him in, but he was basically in the same pool as Black Shadow, not appearing in a game since brawl other than Golden Sun on VC too late in development.

Returns and Tropical Freeze were both released after Brawl. Unless you mean since Smash 4, in which case, you're totally correct and it is a big if. Doesn't mean we can't or shouldn't remain optimistic, of course.
You're missing the point completely. King K Rool was in neither of those.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I'm not saying there won't be anymore Donkey Kong games in between now and then, I just think it's too early to draw conclusions, that's all. Even still, King K Rool has been pretty quiet lately.

And how exactly did Isaac have a shot? I would love to see him in, but he was basically in the same pool as Black Shadow, not appearing in a game since brawl other than Golden Sun on VC too late in development.

You're missing the point completely. King K Rool was in neither of those.
Isaac was in Golden Sun: Dark Dawn in 2010. He wasn't playable, but he was a guest character towards the start of the game and plays a role throughout the game even up through the ending.

As for Rool, odds are, he'll be back soon. They've been slowly reintroducing the original cast.

ZeldaFan01

NNID
?
Isaac still has a shot because he was one of 8 non returning assist trophies for unexplained reasons. Him and Ray MK III are likely candidates

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Isaac still has a shot because he was one of 8 non returning assist trophies for unexplained reasons. Him and Ray MK III are likely candidates
Barbra the bat confirmed DLC cause she has a hat for the miis for some reason + this.

I hope not, but I'd deal with it like a sane person would if that was the case.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Do you likewise see Helirin and Barbara the Bat as likely candidates? Because if not you may be cherry-picking evidence.
Isaac sits in an awkward situation. Golden Sun received a new piece of content, but Isaac's trophy wasn't brought back for some unusual reason. That does put GS above Helirin since GS is one of only a few franchises without a stage to get a single music track in the game, let alone two.

Regardless, there's a different reasoning for Isaac being a likely candidate. Camelot is definitely working on something. We don't know what, but they've stated they can't do HD games (at least, without help), and I highly doubt Nintendo would bother giving Camelot additional dev team assistance for a measly sports game. Golden Sun is honestly the most likely thing Camelot could be working on right now, and if GS4 is in development, that automatically makes Isaac an extremely likely candidate (yes, he would appear in the game because Isaac was involved in the Dark Dawn cliffhanger as well; he HAS to appear in GS4).

If its not in development there's no chance at all, but odds are definitely in favor of GS likely having a new game coming up, especially compared to other franchises. Helirin not only hasn't had a game in forever, he doesn't have a trophy in the game at all. Isaac doesn't have a trophy, but GS does have two music tracks. Barbara is basically about the same as GS content-wise, except with one trophy and one music track.

The evidence in-game does not really favor Isaac. What goes in Isaac's favor is the more likely odds of GS getting a new game, because its in the perfect situation right at this point in time. Unless Camelot is doing nothing (extremely unlikely) or is working on another 3DS sports game (also incredibly unlikely), the only other possible thing they could do is Golden Sun, as Golf/Tennis and Golden Sun games are the only things they've done for the past 15 years.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Sakurai would probably still have to judge whether or not Isaac deserves to join in Smash even if he had a new game, considering Dark Dawn with its ok reception and sales probably made Isaac into a low priority in the consideration list. There's most likely going to be some uncertainty with Sakurai because of that.

If GS4 manages to get critically acclaimed and/or become a best selling game, then I could see him in Sakurai's character consideration radar, for SSB5.

Last edited:

ZeldaFan01

NNID
?
Do you likewise see Helirin and Barbara the Bat as likely candidates? Because if not you may be cherry-picking evidence.
Ok, let me rephrase what I said about the missing assists. My reasoning may not be correct but im just gonna say it. They were all cut for unexplained reasons, but Isaac and maybe Ray may be likely candidates for DLC. I see only them two as having a potential moveset. Gray fox too but even if snake was back in he wouldn't join snake because of third party. Same reason why shadow isn't playable
Isaac sits in an awkward situation. Golden Sun received a new piece of content, but Isaac's trophy wasn't brought back for some unusual reason. That does put GS above Helirin since GS is one of only a few franchises without a stage to get a single music track in the game, let alone two.

Regardless, there's a different reasoning for Isaac being a likely candidate. Camelot is definitely working on something. We don't know what, but they've stated they can't do HD games (at least, without help), and I highly doubt Nintendo would bother giving Camelot additional dev team assistance for a measly sports game. Golden Sun is honestly the most likely thing Camelot could be working on right now, and if GS4 is in development, that automatically makes Isaac an extremely likely candidate (yes, he would appear in the game because Isaac was involved in the Dark Dawn cliffhanger as well; he HAS to appear in GS4).

If its not in development there's no chance at all, but odds are definitely in favor of GS likely having a new game coming up, especially compared to other franchises. Helirin not only hasn't had a game in forever, he doesn't have a trophy in the game at all. Isaac doesn't have a trophy, but GS does have two music tracks. Barbara is basically about the same as GS content-wise, except with one trophy and one music track.

The evidence in-game does not really favor Isaac. What goes in Isaac's favor is the more likely odds of GS getting a new game, because its in the perfect situation right at this point in time. Unless Camelot is doing nothing (extremely unlikely) or is working on another 3DS sports game (also incredibly unlikely), the only other possible thing they could do is Golden Sun, as Golf/Tennis and Golden Sun games are the only things they've done for the past 15 years.
Speaking of a new GS game, it would be awesome if it had 3D graphics and Isaac's model would be based of of the one in brawl!
Actually, it's really kind of dumb for SSBB to create a model for him and then do nothing with it after. I propose that he will be DLC for smash and/or a new GS with that model. That cool?

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Golden Sun is honestly the most likely thing Camelot could be working on right now, and if GS4 is in development, that automatically makes Isaac an extremely likely candidate (yes, he would appear in the game because Isaac was involved in the Dark Dawn cliffhanger as well; he HAS to appear in GS4).
I doubt that makes a difference either way. He's pretty much the Marth of Golden Sun, I think he'd be the best and most likely choice of newcomer regardless of whether he appears or not.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere

Did you have to wait 12 years for Duck hunt to become playable again in smash bros after he was cut? Also even if there is a new smash bros what guarantee do we have that some cut veterans would come back? Roy, Young Link, and Pichu didn't return. Only Mewtwo and Dr. Mario. By the time a new smash bros comes out characters like Ice Climbers and Lucas might have faded into obscurity, which could greatly hinder their chances. As for Wolf, he's becoming the Mewtwo of smash 4. If Brawl was capable of DLC, and thus far only Dr Mario was brought back, and Sakurai was unsure about doing more DLC, would you tell Mewtwo fans that they can wait 6+ years for Mewtwo to come back, and do you think they would actually agree with you? Sakurai is open to DLC, so we're showing him that Wolf is a good choice, just look at some of the polls, Wolf is currently number 1 on them. People want him back. We even have a Facebook page:https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wolf-for-Smash-Brothers-4-DLC/1608525232713819 Twitter page:Wolf4DLC As well as the good ole support thread here on Smashboards: http://smashboards.com/threads/cant-let-you-cut-me-sakurai-wolf-for-dlc.324209/ which as of this post has 1152 supporters.
Plus why should Sakurai have to go through 6 + more years of torment for not putting in Wolf when he could just do it now and get that off his chest, same thing goes for Lucas too. I'm sure he was stressed with all the hate he got from Mewtwo fans when he was cut, Sakurai himself said it stresses him greatly when he cuts characters, so why not reduce the stress by adding them in as DLC. His only fear of doing more DLC is that he fears it'll be viewed as withheld content, but he probably scrubbed the disks clean of cut characters, and he didn't even reveal who they were, probably for the purpose of making them feel like new content, not withheld content.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I doubt that makes a difference either way. He's pretty much the Marth of Golden Sun, I think he'd be the best and most likely choice of newcomer regardless of whether he appears or not.
Or do a Marth / Roy / Lucina situation, have both Matthew and Isaac but as clones. Will they even feature Matthew at all in GS4 I wonder? Am sure he's likely gonna be playable, but they could also just randomly give us Felix's son.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom