• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
This is also just wrongExactly! I know, but I think they won't waste their time making her a clone just to make everybody happy. Honestly I'm surprised not many people think they will make her a full-fledged character
You're missing the point dude.

ZeldaFan01

Cassie Shore/Shelby Goodkind (Netflix)
NNID
?
You're missing the point dude.
Well then, enlighten me?
I'll stop myself from going any further with this because the last thing I want is for someone to think that I have a condescending tone and superior attitude..

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Well then, enlighten me?
I'll stop myself from going any further with this because the last thing I want is for someone to think that I have a condescending tone and superior attitude..
As a huge Zelda fan, and a fan of the idea of Impa being the next Zelda character because she's the most recurring not playable in Smash... she doesn't really have ANYTHING going for her outside of Hyrule Warriors, which won't get referenced outside of Hyrule Warriors games anyway. Impa is very important to the Zelda series, but as a playable character she's got nothing. That's why Hyrule Warriors gives her an entirely brand new moveset.

The closest Impa has is an overall "ninja" design in both of her younger appearances (OOT and SS), and especially in SS where she moves and performs acrobatics similarly to Sheik. The one unique thing she has is a barrier she uses against Ghirahim, but that's it.

If Impa can get some original canonical manuevers in a future game, that's perfectly fine. If they do opt to reference her HW appearance in future Zelda games and all she gets is her Hyrule Warriors Giant Blade, I wouldn't really want her in Smash because that's kind of lame. That's more AT material than anything else. If she got something similar to her Naginata from HW then that I could accept.

There are characters other than Impa I'd love to see in Smash a lot more, but I see no chance of them happening without them returning in future Zelda games. And I mean "major" characters. Despite popular belief, Tingle is not even a "major" character, he's a "minor" character who appeared in more games than any other, and happened to get his own games because of said popularity.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
:facepalm: One of those characters isn't a clone.:wolf:
I truly question and am baffled if you think Wolf is less like Fox than, say, Jigglypuff is from Kirby. The fact that Wolf is the one you decide to (always, and here) pull out of the pack as some unique savior really fogs your judgment and diminishes the validity of the points you do make, when you happen to make them.

I'm not here to debate the mechanics of clones, again, because I do not think that said tired argument ever makes anyone who is already well-informed already change their mind. From the sense of programming, game play, and canon-verisimilitude, yes.. that entire list is derived of clones.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I truly question and am baffled if you think Wolf is less like Fox than, say, Jigglypuff is from Kirby. The fact that Wolf is the one you decide to (always, and here) pull out of the pack as some unique savior really fogs your judgment and diminishes the validity of the points you do make, when you happen to make them.

I'm not here to debate the mechanics of clones, again, because I do not think that said tired argument ever makes anyone who is already well-informed already change their mind. From the sense of programming, game play, and canon-verisimilitude, yes.. that entire list is derived of clones.
Technically speaking a clone character is only a "clone" character when they are simple pallette swaps of each other, however speaking in Smash Bros. Terms a Clone would be a basic pallet swap with speed or power adjustment. So the only TRUE clones would, again technically, be melee versions of: :falcomelee::ganondorfmelee::drmario::younglinkmelee::roymelee::pichumelee: And even those are debatable, there is no set classification of a clone, they are all similar yes, but none are exactly alike meaning there is no such thing as an actual "clone". It's all personal opinion whether you think a character is a "clone" or not, don't go attacking other people because of their opinions, pal. I'm not trying to attack you but the ignorance to acknowledge another persons opinion is wrong. I respect you, very much so, but comments such as these diminish your legitimacy as a truly respectable individual.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I'm not trying to attack you but the ignorance to acknowledge another persons opinion is wrong.
Not only does that sentence ironically contradict itself, but all I stated was that it was not a conversation I was going to engage in again, because I don't believe either of us will change the mind of the other.
That is not only acknowledging your view, but shows that you are not acknowledging mine, and then judging my words based on your own defensive interpretation.

The reason I'm not interested in engaging in that conversation:
I find the word and connotations of 'clone' to limit the actual conversation.
It should be clear to any individual the extreme similarities between such characters as Fox/Falco/Wolf, or Tink and Link.
The merit of the conversation usually boils down to a ridiculous conversation of semantics, and I find it exhausting and worthless.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Not only does that sentence ironically contradict itself, but all I stated was that it was not a conversation I was going to engage in again, because I don't believe either of us will change the mind of the other.
That sentence in no way contradicts itself, and I agree, we won't change eachothers mind, that's the beauty, or discrepancy, of clones, there's no right or wrong answer.
That is not only acknowledging your view, but shows that you are not acknowledging mine, and then judging my words based on your own defensive interpretation.
I only interpreted my view in what characters I personally think are clones. I did acknowledge your point of view as I stated that the definition of "clones" is entirely opinionated, it's your opinion, it's my opinion, it's his opinion, it's their opinion. There is no definitive, unarguable, definition for a "clone" and in that way I acknowledged your opinion.

ZeldaFan01

NNID
?
As a huge Zelda fan, and a fan of the idea of Impa being the next Zelda character because she's the most recurring not playable in Smash... she doesn't really have ANYTHING going for her outside of Hyrule Warriors, which won't get referenced outside of Hyrule Warriors games anyway. Impa is very important to the Zelda series, but as a playable character she's got nothing. That's why Hyrule Warriors gives her an entirely brand new moveset.

The closest Impa has is an overall "ninja" design in both of her younger appearances (OOT and SS), and especially in SS where she moves and performs acrobatics similarly to Sheik. The one unique thing she has is a barrier she uses against Ghirahim, but that's it.

If Impa can get some original canonical manuevers in a future game, that's perfectly fine. If they do opt to reference her HW appearance in future Zelda games and all she gets is her Hyrule Warriors Giant Blade, I wouldn't really want her in Smash because that's kind of lame. That's more AT material than anything else. If she got something similar to her Naginata from HW then that I could accept.

There are characters other than Impa I'd love to see in Smash a lot more, but I see no chance of them happening without them returning in future Zelda games. And I mean "major" characters. Despite popular belief, Tingle is not even a "major" character, he's a "minor" character who appeared in more games than any other, and happened to get his own games because of said popularity.
You make a good point. And oh wow I had completely overlooked her Naginata! I still stand by what I said that that her Giant Blade would do just fine but her Naginata would be so much better!
I think they should go above and beyond with her, Midna, and Ghirahim in a new Zelda game. Because see in them in HW is cool but to me they are just for fun and bonus characters ya know?

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
While I do think Impa has her merits, if we get another Zelda character I would hope and pray for Pig Ganon. Gives us a Ganondorf with a unique moveset, rounds out the Zelda cast by having two incarnations of each of the main characters, he's easily more important then any other possible Zelda character, (Including Impa) and gives us a heavyweight newcomer.

Before someone brings it up, Ganondorf's Final Smash probably doesn't matter in regards to Ganon's chances. In every Smash Bros Ganondorf is stated to have first appeared in Ocarina of Time in every trophy description he's had, his Final Smash trophy makes no mention of being in past games, (Even calls it "Beast Ganon" instead of just "Ganon") and Ganondorf is placed chronologically alongside Sheik in All Star mode. The Smash development team seems to treat Ganon and Ganondorf as separate entities.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Darunia should be the new Zelda character Gorons rule.
And he suffers the same problem every non-Triforce Trio character faces; lack of appearances. Darunia is by far the most important Goron and most iconic Goron to appear in the series, and Gorons are the most recurring non-Hylian race, but no single Goron plays that important of a role in any one Zelda game, with Darunia's role being the biggest (and even then, its not that notable).

I mean, yeah, Darunia's rolling attacks could make for a decent moveset, but its not that unique on its own merit, and for a relatively minor character in the grand scheme of things in the Zelda series, there's not much going for him. A one-off character would probably have to be incredibly important and have plenty of original material to work with.

I absolutely love the idea of a Sage (yes, technically Zelda/Sheik is one in OOT, but Zelda tends not to get treated like a Sage otherwise, so I mean "other than Zelda"). Not many of them have a lot of material to work with overall, though. Darunia is not shown using a hammer in the series, not that it matters much because he intended story-wise to use the Megaton Hammer in OOT, so that could be justified. But, the hammer isn't anything new, and other than the Hammer he'd basically just be a heavyweight Sonic. He doesn't have much material for a recovery move either.

The most original pick for Sages would probably be Saria (and she's the most important non-Zelda Sage in OOT) if they go with idea of using nature-based moves and an instrument for a weapon (instruments being something not only not represented in Smash, but an extremely iconic Zelda trait), but there's a fat chance of that ever happening. :p I'd totally support it, though again, I see no chance of it ever happening.

D

Deleted member

I have a REALLY honest question for you.

Is this just your personal opinion, or do you have reasoning to feel like he'd really make it in over everyone else?
He's the only Zelda character to have his own spin-off games.
That alone puts him higher on the pedestal than any non-Triforce Trio option.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Here's what worries me about that. Said game isn't out in America. Just Japan and Europe.
Doesn't matter... he has Rosy Rupeeland moves in Hyrule Warriors. Even his balloon is called Rosy Balloon. This is the closest thing we have to Rosy Rupeeland in America.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Tingle, while an abomination to mankind, would make for an interesting Smash character.

*abandons thread*

tumblr_mbx96d1q4d1qg619qo1_r1_400.gif

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I'm terrified of Tingle, which is why he should be in.

Though they'd make him a clone of Villager, knowing the team.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I'm terrified of Tingle, which is why he should be in.
Tingle confirmed to be the true face of terror? :bee:
Though they'd make him a clone of Villager, knowing the team.
Surely not. I'm pretty sure you're joking but if not I don't see how they could, unless Tingle planted rupee trees...:bluejump:

Last edited:

ZeldaFan01

NNID
?
What about

Surely they would be second in line, if at all, after Impa

D

Deleted member

Here's what worries me about that. Said game isn't out in America. Just Japan and Europe.
Because America voted against having a Tingle game released there in a Nintendo Power poll.
There is a reason why the "Americans Hate Tingle" trope exists.

What about

Surely they would be second in line, if at all, after Impa
Surely you don't mean both at the same time, considering transformations are no-go.
Toon Zelda would only get in if Sakurai's actively looking for potential low priority clones like back in Brawl.
Tetra on the other hand, rather tough to say. She's a distinctive incarnation of Zelda in her own right, but Sakurai might feel an actual Toon Zelda is more apt.

Last edited by a moderator:

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
1 rep per franchise if at all? That would be disappointing... well for Star Fox and Donkey Kong anyway. Why don't you have high expectations?
Anyway I'm just at a point where I can't stand Smash practically ignoring Krystal and *insert under appreciated nintendo franchise here* any longer!
I don't see more than 4-5 DLC characters, and that's pushing it imo. Mewtwo may very well be the only one we get, and the others would be unfinished or existing bases like Lucas/Wolf. So following this logic if there are 5 spots, they wouldn't give more than 1 to each series. Wolf, Dk Rep, New IP Rep, Mewtwo, and wild card (splatooner?)

That's just my opinion though

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I can't see Tetra happening unless they DO replace Sheik with Impa, honestly. And I don't think they would replace Sheik with Impa.

Last edited:

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Regarding Sheik; Hyrule Warriors reminds me why I dislike Smash Sheik. Where the ****s is the harp? You know the one thing she did in Ocarina of Time? How comes her moveset in Smash completely lacks some sort of harp attack? Missed chance IMO.
This times a millie. Galdr/Bard moveset please. If shiek wasn't so entrenched in smash bros mythos, I would support an Impa OoT port with Shiek's moveset and give Shiek an elemental based hard moveset. I've wanted this since melee. I feel you man.

Also, on the subject of indpendent Impa, why can't we make a Shadow based moveset for her, ala OoT role of being the Shadow Sage

Though I still prefer Skull Kid getting in (MM remake, his last chance)

Or Young Link...Or Happy Mask Saleman...Please

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
This times a millie. Galdr/Bard moveset please. If shiek wasn't so entrenched in smash bros mythos, I would support an Impa OoT port with Shiek's moveset and give Shiek an elemental based hard moveset. I've wanted this since melee. I feel you man.

Also, on the subject of indpendent Impa, why can't we make a Shadow based moveset for her, ala OoT role of being the Shadow Sage

Though I still prefer Skull Kid getting in (MM remake, his last chance)

Or Young Link...Or Happy Mask Saleman...Please
Well, in Hyrule Warriors I guess it somewhat makes sense. There's too many dark elements. As for Smash, the main issue is, again, lack of her actually being shown doing something. The reason why Sheik's moveset would work well is because its got that ninja gimmick going for it, so basically taking Sheik's moveset and adding barriers and shadow attacks would reflect Impa as a whole.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
If I had ANY Zelda character to get in I'd want Tetra.

Because she's a pirate, and has a unique personality. Not like boring old Toon Zelda. I swear the transformation to Zelda took a major hit to Tetra's personality.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
The potential "Toon" Zelda characters all could solve some notable complaints among Zelda/Smash fans.

- Toon Ganondorf - Duel wields katanas, would be an answer to everyone wanting a unique Ganondorf.
- Tetra - Uses various items from TWW in her moveset, could be seen as a decloned Toon Link.

ZeldaFan01

NNID
?
Surely you don't mean both at the same time, considering transformations are no-go.
Toon Zelda would only get in if Sakurai's actively looking for potential low priority clones like back in Brawl.
Tetra on the other hand, rather tough to say. She's a distinctive incarnation of Zelda in her own right, but Sakurai might feel an actual Toon Zelda is more apt.
Well I don't want them to transform necessarily though it would mate more sense, like back in brawl. But they were labled as part of "the forbidden 7" for unexplained reasons. So I think it would be best to have Toon Zelda and Tetra, or just Impa, I don't care which outcome cause I would still be left satisfied. Cause having all three would just be pushing it.
I don't see more than 4-5 DLC characters, and that's pushing it imo. Mewtwo may very well be the only one we get, and the others would be unfinished or existing bases like Lucas/Wolf. So following this logic if there are 5 spots, they wouldn't give more than 1 to each series. Wolf, Dk Rep, New IP Rep, Mewtwo, and wild card (splatooner?)

That's just my opinion though
Ah, but there are so many different combinations to look at DLC if it were actually limited to 4-5 characters.
Seriously though, :mewtwomelee: cannot be the only one! It doesn't fit for me it's like...
It's like Sakurai has something else up his sleeve.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
If we got actual DLC I would want Ice Climbers back.

Heck, they could be New 3DS exclusive, I don't care! as long as they are on my Wii U, I'm ok.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
I'm going to take all the Zelda characters mentioned and order them from those I want the least to those I want the most.

Ganon (boar)
Toon Zelda
Tetra
Impa
Toon Ganondorf
Tingle
Darunia
Lana
Ghirahim
Midna

D

Deleted member

Well I don't want them to transform necessarily though it would mate more sense, like back in brawl. But they were labled as part of "the forbidden 7" for unexplained reasons. So I think it would be best to have Toon Zelda and Tetra, or just Impa, I don't care which outcome cause I would still be left satisfied. Cause having all three would just be pushing it.
Tetra wasn't part of the "Forbidden 7". The file was labeled "toon_sheik".
People speculate that the file is for Tetra because there technically hasn't been a "Toon Sheik" in the Zelda series, but there are no other character files that are misnomers within Brawl's data.

Last edited by a moderator:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I can't see Tetra happening unless they DO replace Sheik with Impa, honestly. And I don't think they would replace Sheik with Impa.
I do ! Bring us both Impa and Tetra! And while they're at it, toss out the current Ganondorf for either Gsnon or a revamped Ganondorf.

Also, an undercover cop today who approached me was wearing a Triforce baseball cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom