• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Just a thought for a character: Melissa Bergam from Other M.

She's an android, so she's super strong, and she could control monsters from the game as her special moves. SO, she would be a bit of a summoner, which would be different than the other characters. She also looks like another Tekken character. It would be another Metroid character we desperately need and she had an important role in the games. HOWEVER, it's a character from the abomination known as Other M, so even with another Metroid character, it may not be one fans even want. Just thought I'd throw it out there. What do you all think?

D

Deleted member

She's an android, so she's super strong, and she could control monsters from the game as her special moves. SO, she would be a bit of a summoner, which would be different than the other characters. She also looks like another Tekken character. It would be another Metroid character we desperately need and she had an important role in the games. HOWEVER, it's a character from the abomination known as Other M, so even with another Metroid character, it may not be one fans even want. Just thought I'd throw it out there. What do you all think?
Rather forgettable, and extremely likely to not reappear again in the series.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Whatever game your playing where that happens, I want to play now.

Am I alone?:drwtf:
I'd play it.

Interesting in concept, but I can't imagine it would sit well with Metroid fans. I do think Metroid needs more representation, but tossing in a one-shot villain from a widely unpopular game would arguably just seem like it's being done for the sake of being "the token Metroid character we really really want".

And I support Sylux, so I'm aware that that sounds hypocritical, but I feel like Sylux at least has more originality and a role as representing the entirety of Hunters going for him.

Last edited:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
And I support Sylux, so I'm aware that that sounds hypocritical, but I feel like Sylux at least has more originality and a role as representing the entirety of Hunters going for him.
Agreed. I'm surprised he hasn't shown up again. He'd was teased at the end of Prime 3, so maybe they intended him to come back before Sakamoto went off the deep end. I think a new Metroid game could introduce another new character. Actually, a multiplayer Metroid ala Hunters would be nice.

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
Hey, I just realized another character who could fill the "does poor damage, but never dies either" archetype.

You know it would be amazing.
That would be a hilarious addition, even though I have no idea how Sandbag would attack, if any lol

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
This sure is a weird topic, not gonna lie.

Anyway, is anyone else bummed out that Xenoblade was kind of almost treated like a third party franchise? I mean, Nintendo does own Monolith Soft, and yet we only have Shulk playable, and only Gaur Plain is a stage, and only Riki is an assist trophy. Having played through a lot of Xenoblade, I think they deserved more than just this, no?

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301

Anyway, is anyone else bummed out that Xenoblade was kind of almost treated like a third party franchise? I mean, Nintendo does own Monolith Soft, and yet we only have Shulk playable, and only Gaur Plain is a stage, and only Riki is an assist trophy. Having played through a lot of Xenoblade, I think they deserved more than just this, no?
It's still a new franchise for Nintendo, and a new series in Smash. I think it got a lot of attention, all things considered.

Fire Emblem had five games under its belt a sixth due to be released after Melee's release and that only got a character, a last-minute clone of said character and a secret music track.

Kirby had to wait until Brawl to get more than one character.

Donkey Kong still just about has two characters.

Metroid...well, yeah, let's just say that Metroid is a thing and leave it at that, okay?

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

As someone who's played through Xenoblade Chronicles and loved it, I'm quite content with the amount of Xenoblade content we got.

I mean, we're lucky that the one, relatively unknown game was even recognized in Smash. Why do you think it suddenly needs so much more content?

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me

As someone who's played through Xenoblade Chronicles and loved it, I'm quite content with the amount of Xenoblade content we got.

I mean, we're lucky that the one, relatively unknown game was even recognized in Smash. Why do you think it suddenly needs so much more content?
Let's face it. Xenoblade is owned by a Nintendo subsidiary, and is a pretty big hit.

I'm not saying they need it, I'm just saying it would be nice. I think it was barely recognized because not a lot of people noticed Nintendo owns Monolith Soft.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Let's face it. Xenoblade is owned by a Nintendo subsidiary, and is a pretty big hit.

I'm not saying they need it, I'm just saying it would be nice. I think it was barely recognized because not a lot of people noticed Nintendo owns Monolith Soft.
The fact that Nintendo owns Monolith Soft isn't exactly a compelling reason for why it should receive further content. It certainly makes it feasible, yes, but just being owned by Nintendo (as is the case for every other series represented in Smash aside from Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man, and Meal Gear) doesn't mean that it should get massive amounts of representation.

Furthermore, being a big hit does warrant representation, yes, but again, that doesn't necessarily mean it should get too much of it. All things considered, Xenoblade is currently represented in Smash by a brand new, fully unique character, a new stage, a handful of music and trophies, and an Assist Trophy. It's a complete package; not every represented series can even claim to have that. Is any more truly necessary?

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
The fact that Nintendo owns Monolith Soft isn't exactly a compelling reason for why it should receive further content. It certainly makes it feasible, yes, but just being owned by Nintendo (as is the case for every other series represented in Smash aside from Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man, and Meal Gear) doesn't mean that it should get massive amounts of representation.

Furthermore, being a big hit does warrant representation, yes, but again, that doesn't necessarily mean it should get too much of it. All things considered, Xenoblade is currently represented in Smash by a brand new, fully unique character, a new stage, a handful of music and trophies, and an Assist Trophy. It's a complete package; not every represented series can even claim to have that. Is any more truly necessary?
I dunno, Pokemon was only about a year old when Smash 64 came out, and yet, they had two reps then.

But to answer your question, probably not right away, I'm just a little depressed now that I've been binging out on Xenoblade Chronicles.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I dunno, Pokemon was only about a year old when Smash 64 came out, and yet, they had two reps then.

But to answer your question, probably not right away, I'm just a little depressed now that I've been binging out on Xenoblade Chronicles.
Well, I doubt that really counts, per se, since Jigglypuff was modeled heavily on Kirby and was pretty easy to add to the game.

I think Xenoblade is like Fire Emblem was in Melee, and is thus at a very, very strong position going forwards.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Actually, it was about three years old, I believe. Within that time, Pokemon was starting to become a cultural phenomenon, and expanded far beyond the original games themselves. I think that huge impact of the series is one of the reasons why both Pikachu and Jigglypuff were playable in the original.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294

Pokemon had been out for a little less than three years.

In Japan...the region to which Smash 64 was going to be exclusive to.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601

There are two series that come to mind when I read this. Golden Sun, Custom Robo, where art thou? Compared to these two, Xenoblade, and many other series, are damn lucky.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
That would be a hilarious addition, even though I have no idea how Sandbag would attack, if any lol
Actually, I can. Of course, it's awkward to describe it in words, so I guess that means little. His jab could be like Pikachu, a quick headbutt, his d-tilt could be him quickly whipping his "head" on either side of him, etc.
Of course he can summon a special home run bat for a very, very slow, but extremely powerful side smash.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

Wow.... comparing the GLOBAL PHENOMENON of Pokemon to a game that was liked by some people and still got into Smash Bros with more Assist Trophies than Donkey Kong.

I'm exceptionally offended and, for once, actually find this a very unwarranted desire. The only thing that even starts to compare, and does not come close, to this level of... greed?, is when users claim Mother, a creator-stated dead series with only one international game, got the shaft. Neither Mother nor Xenoblade is lacking in content per capita, fanbase, availability... or in any other sense of the word.

To add to the list above, Golden Sun Chibi Robo, (Advance) Wars, Custom Robo. All are still successfully running.

Last edited:

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
Wow.... comparing the GLOBAL PHENOMENON of Pokemon to a game that was liked by some people and still got into Smash Bros with more Assist Trophies than Donkey Kong.

I'm exceptionally offended and, for once, actually find this a very unwarranted desire. The only thing that even starts to compare, and does not come close, to this level of... greed?, is when users claim Mother, a creator-stated dead series with only one international game, got the shaft. Neither Mother nor Xenoblade is lacking in content per capita, fanbase, availability... or in any other sense of the word.

To add to the list above, Golden Sun Chibi Robo, (Advance) Wars, Custom Robo. All are still successfully running.
Your offended about someone stating something true?

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Your offended about someone stating something true?
I'm offended by the implication that Pokemon and Xenoblade are parallel simply because of happenstance fact about age, which is irrelevant to the point of impact either series had.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Let's put it this way: Shulk is, according to Sakurai, "not the kind of fighter who would normally appear in Smash Bros."
I have a hard time believing anyone who knew Nintendo owned Pokemon thought that about Pikachu.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Let's put it this way: Shulk is, according to Sakurai, "not the kind of fighter who would normally appear in Smash Bros."
I have a hard time believing anyone who knew Nintendo owned Pokemon thought that about Pikachu.
To be fair... I don't think many consumers actually agree with that statement, though. Shulk is on point the exact fighter I would expect to see in Smash Bros.

a pretty, anime-style, swordsman with a very small but vocal fanbase that started in Japan.

Last edited:

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
I'm not the only one who just figured Sakurai was talking about Shulk's moveset when he said that, right?
A character who can change his own attributes isn't the kind of fighter who would normally appear in Smash Bros....
Or maybe I'm just crazy...? :054:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I'm not the only one who just figured Sakurai was talking about Shulk's moveset when he said that, right?
A character who can change his own attributes isn't the kind of fighter who would normally appear in Smash Bros....
Oh right, I forgot about that.
Well, what I said still stands, I just...um, have nothing to back it up? I was trying to elaborate what @ pupNapoleon pupNapoleon said...

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
When your talking about the S-man then your ability to predict what he wants is like trying to figure out a paradox

you just spend your nights sleepless and with a bad headache

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Wait...I leave this place for a few months, come back, and the topic is guys who do no damage but live forever? Really?

:213::213::213::213::213::213:

Finally a semi-relavant time to bing up muh boy. Make it happen Sakurai/new guy at smash.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I'll admit, it took a while for the penny to drop for me on that one.

And here I was thinking Shulk was a ridiculous choice and he had no chance.

D

Deleted member

One thing to know is, among series like Golden Sun, Custom Robo and such is that Xenoblade is a first-party series made by a first-party studio, and this fact should have played a lot to its inclusion.

Also, remember the Banjo-Kazooie's case, which was likely to get in as it was a popular series made by a second-party, but failed because of Rare's purchase by Microsoft ?

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
One thing to know is, among series like Golden Sun, Custom Robo and such is that Xenoblade is a first-party series made by a first-party studio, and this fact should have played a lot to its inclusion.

Also, remember the Banjo-Kazooie's case, which was likely to get in as it was a popular series made by a second-party, but failed because of Rare's purchase by Microsoft ?
Right, and now RARE is first party to Microsoft, so RARE is pretty much with Microsoft to stay, i.e. Banjo-Kazooie will never get representation in Smash.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

I don't think being first party helped his chances so much, it was most likely Xenoblades merits and his upcoming X game that significantly helped his chances to being playable.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
Right, and now RARE is first party to Microsoft, so RARE is pretty much with Microsoft to stay, i.e. Banjo-Kazooie will never get representation in Smash.
The only way Banjo & Kazooie get into Smash is if Nintendo acquires the franchise from Rare. I'd love to see that happen so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom