• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Right, and now RARE is first party to Microsoft, so RARE is pretty much with Microsoft to stay, i.e. Banjo-Kazooie will never get representation in Smash.
I would add following my previous post that, as a second-party can be purchased as we have seen with Banjo-Kazooie, the same thing might happen to other second-party series like Golden Sun and co (except if Nintendo owns a large part of their IPs), and as such, Nintendo and Sakurai may put them in the lowest priority in order to avoid copyright issues with the IP of Smash Bros. in the future.

It was something I thought long ago when I started thinking about Issac's chances and all the first-second-party stuff.
It may look farfetched but like I said, this kind of case could happen.

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
Well, at least some of them understand why it's a pipe dream.

I've even met a famous lets player at PAX Prime, JoshJepson, whose a huge Banjo Kazooie fan, who understood the situation pretty well.
I actually highly doubt that Josh Jepson knows much about Smash. He says he isn't a fan of the series, and in all his episodes of Smash you can tell that his knowledge of the game is very poor.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Banjo-Kazooie are some of the stupidest characters people want in Smash
There's worse... Much worse... Like, there are probably people out there who legitimately want Jason Voorhees in Smash. IMAGINE THAT! Even if he was kiddified, it wouldn't make sense to have him in. Should I mention IGN - well, it's IGN... - listing characters that should be in and a lot of the characters don't make sense like Master Chief and Cloud Strife? I know for a fact that Cloud Strife was one of the characters, but I'm not sure about Master Chief, but knowing IGN, he's probably on that list. This was years ago when Brawl wasn't finished, but holy crap, you'd have to be stupid as sin to request Master Chief, an exclusive character to Microsoft, in SSB, an exclusive game to Nintendo. Oh, but Snake and Sonic got in. They had history with Nintendo. Does Master Chief have history with Nintendo? No. As for Cloud, it's Cloud and FFVII, the "best" game ever. Of course they would want him in every game no matter who stupid it would be. :glare:

Oh, and let's not mention stuff like "OC do not steal" characters... :p

Last edited:

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
There's worse... Much worse... Like, there are probably people out there who legitimately want Jason Voorhees in Smash. IMAGINE THAT! Even if he was kiddified, it wouldn't make sense to have him in. Should I mention IGN - well, it's IGN... - listing characters that should be in and a lot of the characters don't make sense like Master Chief and Cloud Strife? I know for a fact that Cloud Strife was one of the characters, but I'm not sure about Master Chief, but knowing IGN, he's probably on that list. This was years ago when Brawl wasn't finished, but holy crap, you'd have to be stupid as sin to request Master Chief, an exclusive character to Microsoft, in SSB, an exclusive game to Nintendo. Oh, but Snake and Sonic got in. They had history with Nintendo. Does Master Chief have history with Nintendo? No. As for Cloud, it's Cloud and FFVII, the "best" game ever. Of course they would want him in every game no matter who stupid it would be. :glare:

Oh, and let's not mention stuff like "OC do not steal" characters... :p
H-How do you even make OCs for Smash Bros?!

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
I say Xenoblade has earned the amount of content, there is a ton of memorable characters in the game that deserved trophy representation.
I won't deny that. My point was just that Golden Sun and Custom Robo got shafted, so complaining about other series not getting more representation is kind of a ***** slap to those fans.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I always thought that if we got DLC characters it would consist of planned characters that were cut due to time constraints, and now we basically have confirmation that there were characters cut for that reason. If they do add more characters through DLC I think it would consist of just those characters. I'm pretty sure Mewtwo was one of those characters along with Wolf and Lucas, and I have to believe either Dixie or K. Rool were also planned. I'd almost feel insulted if neither of them were even planned, though if one of them were in fact planned I think it would more likely have been Dixie Kong based on everything Sakurai has said.

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
I wonder who is in charge of picking the characters for DLC...if Sakurai is the one behind everything then I'm sure we're going to be in for one big, mind straining, ride

I hope we get little riddles or hints at the end of each DLC trailers, i freakin love riddles

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Perhaps King (Kaptain) K. Rool's special moveset was conceived during the planning stage, but given over to Bowser Jr. when developers realized his size and abilities would lead to an unbalanced character one way or another.

B was cannonball, Up B was a downward, exploding cannonball that propelled the Kroc skyward, down B was a Klaptrap, and side B was a flame propulsion from his backwards pointed blunderbuss.

That must be it.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I don't know much about King K. Rool's abilities, but he does have multiple costumes, right? Maybe his moveset could revolve around him having many special moves by swapping costumes?

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
I don't know much about King K. Rool's abilities, but he does have multiple costumes, right? Maybe his moveset could revolve around him having many special moves by swapping costumes?
Iunno, doesn't Sakurai want people to focus more on one moveset rather than 2 or more movesets?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Considering Sakurai's thoughts on alternate costumes, I don't think he would likely do something like that.
Unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean.... :/

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
One thing to know is, among series like Golden Sun, Custom Robo and such is that Xenoblade is a first-party series made by a first-party studio, and this fact should have played a lot to its inclusion.

Also, remember the Banjo-Kazooie's case, which was likely to get in as it was a popular series made by a second-party, but failed because of Rare's purchase by Microsoft ?
I thought Monolith (Xenoblade), like Camelot (Golden Sun), was second party (Rare used to be to Nintendo).

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I thought Monolith (Xenoblade), like Camelot (Golden Sun), was second party (Rare used to be to Nintendo).
Monolith is owned wholly by Nintendo.

Camelot is not.

So Monolith is first party. Thus Xenoblade is.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
K. Rool shuffling through three costumes with his Down B ability to change the rest of his specials would be a unique rift on the idea of customizable moves.

Instead of customizing specials in the beginning of the match, K. Rool could choose among three sets based on his costume at the time during the fight.

He could be the jack-of-all trades heavyweight.

Last edited:

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
I've been seeing talk of how Mother and Xenoblade didn't get enough content... are ou kidding me? Xenoblade is a series' first, and only a few people knew of its existence before Smash. Mother is a dead franchise with only one international release way long ago... and you think they don't have enough content? Although I still want Lucas, I do think that Mother has enough as it is. The real franchise that got shafted is Donkey Kong.

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
I've been seeing talk of how Mother and Xenoblade didn't get enough content... are ou kidding me? Xenoblade is a series' first, and only a few people knew of its existence before Smash. Mother is a dead franchise with only one international release way long ago... and you think they don't have enough content? Although I still want Lucas, I do think that Mother has enough as it is. The real franchise that got shafted is Donkey Kong.
Possibly add Metroid to the list with the whole Ridley fiasco, but yeah. I understand why Lucas wasn't high priority, and didn't have high hopes for him and Ness to come back in this time, despite anyone telling from my signature I want him back.

Also, Earthbound was just released just last year outside Japan and North America. Just saying.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
K. Rool shuffling through three costumes with his Down B ability to change the rest of his specials would be a unique rift on the idea of customizable moves.

Instead of customizing specials in the beginning of the match, K. Rool could choose among three sets based on his costume at the time during the fight.

He could be the jack-of-all trades heavyweight.
That's the idea I had for him. Granted, I know little about the character, but I think when are Smash movesets 100% accurate anyway?
It would be unique after all.

I could say that about almost every series.
I could say that absolutely all of them. Some series got two newcomers, others got none, but if we're making generalizations I'd say they all have more than "enough" representation.
Donkey Kong is probably the only series I think really should have a new character that didn't. Dixie Kong was extremely well liked and was a great choice all around. The fact she isn't in baffles me.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I thought we collectively agreed not to speak of those two.
The fact that I had missed out on this conversation makes me sad. :(

But yeah, Banjo and Kazooie would fit in Smash though the chances of them happening is very very low. As for them being stupid, many users had seen much worse suggestions on Miiverse and the team isn't dumb enough to listen to them.

There's about a few months left until we see Mewtwo in Smash and I can't hep but to think that there's more to it than just producing his model. Perhaps we might get an extra stage with some new songs to go along with it or even a few new characters to complete the pack. Either this could be the case or I'm just over analyzing the situation since we had been getting less answers.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I wonder, if K. Rool comes back and Dixie stays playable, if DK would get the "Kirby treatment" next game. Smash does have a pattern of adding things fans want to see, multiple games late, and yet the fact that it takes multiple games to see these things added is a good sign the finger is only ever loosely on the fans' pulse to begin with.

(Dixie, I guess, would depend on the rationale for excluding her this time...if they passed on her without making an effort to learn about Tropical Freeze from Retro, whether they knew and made her low priority, or they just simply didn't give a care and labeled her "not unique").

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Depends on the situation, I see Sakurai adding K. Rool if he at least appears in two more new DKC installments. (Not counting potential spin-offs)

Though I can easily see Dixie being added early as DLC, so I personally don't think "the Kirby treatment" will happen.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
"At least two new DKC installments" might not even come out before next Smash. Talk about an arbitrary quota, especially when just one new DKC is enough to prompt zealotry over what a "shoo-in" Dixie is.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
"At least two new DKC installments" might not even come out before next Smash. Talk about an arbitrary quota, especially when just one new DKC is enough to prompt zealotry over what a "shoo-in" Dixie is.
I was just about to chip in and say exactly say this. Definitely expected Dixie Kong for a while thanks to Tropical Freeze and that was one game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom