• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
What would Anthony's moveset even be? the only thing we saw him do was with he big laser canon...thingy.

then he go his butt wrecked by Ridely, survived, meandered around the metroid infested space station, and then got into Samus's ship.

And why does he call her Princess? everytime a big black guy calls a smaller white girl "princess" I just get reminded of Beyond Two Souls....and thats not a good thing

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
In my opinion, Ridley was the last chance for a new Metriod rep.

All other candidates are too similar to Samus.

D

Deleted member

'Cause it costs less than an old (even used) GBA cartridge nowadays ?
No, I mean say "Wii U" and "Go get one" in the same post.
I was being a smartass and twisting Swamp's post to pretend to make a big deal over it considering I don't have a Wii U yet.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

I'd like Mother Brain to get in as a playable character.

Giant brain in a jar seems more unique than yet another fire-breathing winged dragon.

PokÉmblem

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wolfvdc
3DS FC
4553-9960-0926
Isaac uses psy like ness, golden sun is about as popular as earthbound, Golden Sun is underrated like earthbound. Isaac needs to be in I mean characters like ness have only been in one game but Isaac has been in more than one and can be a unique character. Golden sun may have a future too unlike earthbound so at least add Isaac sakurai!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Meh, just give Mother Brain rocket boosters on the base just so she can move around like R.O.B. and have her use the power cables that are attached to the base to function as her tentacles like Ivysaur's vines.

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
I found this posted on another board, and thought it was interesting enough to bring here:
A list of how many times a character has been guessed by Akinator. I can't believe nobodies thought of referencing this before, this is an excellent way of gauging character popularity to a wider audience.

Plugged in a few characters out of curiosity:

Toad: 30455
Bayonetta: 10657
Rayman: 10195
Krystal: 5561
Ridley: 4627
Bomberman: 4333
Waddle Dee: 3622
Isaac: 2859
King K Rool: 2210
Dixie Kong: 2209
Sceptile: 1705
Wonder Red: 336
CAPTAIN Toad: 179
"Splatoon Girl": 64

Last edited:

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
I've always wondered this. If an old character had a recent design change would it be better to go with the newer or older design? or would it be better to try to mix the two designs?

Sir_Zedd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sir_Zedd
I always wanted one of the hunters from metroid prime hunters to be playable, they all have some interesting design choices and unique abilities (invisibility, life stealing, wall climbing and the ability to split in half to name a few)

I would totally settle for a sylux alt for samus though :p

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
If Mother Brain canonically had legs and arms, I would probably agree.

Arms and legs man, arms and legs.

I blame the 3DS version. Made us lose the Ice Climbers, and possibly took up more development time than the SSE.
It also made it seem like we got a minimal increase in stages from Brawl, when in actually Smash 4 has 75 total stages. That is a very respectable increase of 34 stages from Brawl. On top of that, 48 of those are brand new stages.

The problem is that the stages were split across two games, so neither game seems like much of an upgrade from Brawl stage wise.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I've always wondered this. If an old character had a recent design change would it be better to go with the newer or older design? or would it be better to try to mix the two designs?
Whilst not exactly the same, Pit's redesign looked very different from his Melee trophy.

Although in all fairness; Sakurai had some personal interest as it turned out in giving him an updated look.

You could I guess look at the Zelda cast for how that goes down, albeit a lack of Ganondorf appearances in Skyward Sword coupled with Twilight Princess appearing on the Wii still probably helped make the decision to keep the characters the same.

Curiously I'm wondering if the next Smash will give the Zelda crew their Zelda U looks(Hyrule Warriors may be a problem due to KT owning the designs. At least that's what's being speculated) or whether three Smash games of Zelda as a brunette are enough to keep her and the other Zelda cast members in their Twilight Princess incarnations.

(Also happy new year everyone)

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Whilst not exactly the same, Pit's redesign looked very different from his Melee trophy.

Although in all fairness; Sakurai had some personal interest as it turned out in giving him an updated look.

You could I guess look at the Zelda cast for how that goes down, albeit a lack of Ganondorf appearances in Skyward Sword coupled with Twilight Princess appearing on the Wii still probably helped make the decision to keep the characters the same.

Curiously I'm wondering if the next Smash will give the Zelda crew their Zelda U looks(Hyrule Warriors may be a problem due to KT owning the designs. At least that's what's being speculated) or whether three Smash games of Zelda as a brunette are enough to keep her and the other Zelda cast members in their Twilight Princess incarnations.

(Also happy new year everyone)
I do hope Zelda ends up as a brunette in Zelda U.

KCJ506

Smash Cadet
In regards to character trophies, any other Punch-Out fans find it odd that Super Macho Man doesn't have one? He's the only opponent that was in Mike Tyson Punch-Out who returned for the Wii version not to have one. What makes it even more odd is that he was one of the three opponents whom appeared in all three console Punch-Out games.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
In regards to character trophies, any other Punch-Out fans find it odd that Super Macho Man doesn't have one? He's the only opponent that was in Mike Tyson Punch-Out who returned for the Wii version not to have one. What makes it even more odd is that he was one of the three opponents whom appeared in all three console Punch-Out games.
I am still disappointed that King Hippo did not get in as an Assist Trophy.

I am also surprised Sakurai managed to keep his Kid Icarus bias in check long enough to not make Eggplant Wizard an Assist Trophy.

It would be so amazing to have them in along with Mother Brain in SSB5.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=145569019&postcount=85
The reason for Duck Hunt joining the battle
MS: You think Duck Hunt is a rather minor character, right?
ND: We...think so. (laughs)
Everybody: (laughs)
MS: Please try to have a look at the sales-numbers. It might be the most-sold shooting-game in the world. It might be because it came bundled with the NES outside of Japan, if you look at worldwide numbers you come up with a huge number. I thought to create a character based on that would be appropriate, so we included that character from the very beginning of the project.
ND: So it was a candidate all along for the whole Smash Bros.-franchise?
MS: No, that would be exaggerating...in past titles we had our hands full with the characters we included back then. Even if we had tried even harder back then we couldn't have included it. But this time it was fun to do "Duck Hunt" and its shooting-like presentation. Like having a third person intervening the action, being able to say "It's actually a trio" was fun. That's how we finalized it during development of the concept, saying "That's how we can make it work!".
I'm starting to think sales may be a a somewhat significant factor now, but it might just apply only to retro/historical characters.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It would have to be the NES/Famicom sales in the case of Duck Hunt.
It didn't get a VC release (or any other re-release for that matter unless the compilation cartridges for the NES count) until just recent.

Last edited by a moderator:

Argos

Smash Apprentice
I found this posted on another board, and thought it was interesting enough to bring here:
A list of how many times a character has been guessed by Akinator. I can't believe nobodies thought of referencing this before, this is an excellent way of gauging character popularity to a wider audience.

Plugged in a few characters out of curiosity:

Toad: 30455
Bayonetta: 10657
Rayman: 10195
Krystal: 5561
Ridley: 4627
Bomberman: 4333
Waddle Dee: 3622
Isaac: 2859
King K Rool: 2210
Dixie Kong: 2209
Sceptile: 1705
Wonder Red: 336
CAPTAIN Toad: 179
"Splatoon Girl": 64
This is a great find and probably the closest thing to actual data I've seen so far. The thing that jumps out at me is how marginal secondary Donkey Kong characters are to people who use this, which might make me have to rethink a few things (even Diddy is entered in less than Mr. Game and Watch!) It's obviously still not nearly as useful as a more targeted poll that tried to establish character recognition and popularity, but it's very interesting nonetheless.

D

Deleted member

Akinator isn't really a good source for gauging popularity.
It's just a game where you think of a character and it guesses who it is based on questions asked.

All it can tell you is roughly how many people who use Akinator know about the character in question to have Akinator guess them. And even then, it doesn't account for anyone (like me) who just ***** around and does random characters just for fun.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
If Bandana Dee becomes DLC or appears in Smash 5, I hope we get a sick stage that is clay themed so it could look something like this. Imagine platforms being drawn out and disappearing? That would be sweet!

Last edited:

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
Akinator isn't really a good source for gauging popularity.
It's just a game where you think of a character and it guesses who it is based on questions asked.

All it can tell you is roughly how many people who use Akinator know about the character in question to have Akinator guess them. And even then, it doesn't account for anyone (like me) who just ****s around and does random characters just for fun.
It's a terrible source, but it's still the best source we've found so far. Certainly better then the Smashboards polls.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
It would have to be the NES/Famicom sales in the case of Duck Hunt.
It didn't get a VC release (or any other re-release for that matter unless the compilation cartridges for the NES count) until just recent.
Granted, the character itself was getting a lot of attention from the community.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I thought I was onto something when I recently made a point that no Smash game has had a newcomer and a clone of that newcomer in the same game.

And then I was promptly reminded of Mario / Luigi, Marth / Roy and arguably Kirby / Jigglypuff.

It still strikes me as interesting how clones are a recurring feature in Smash.

Honestly, I'd be disappointed if there weren't clones, since they're pretty much free characters and all.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
If Bandana Dee becomes DLC or appears in Smash 5, I hope we get a sick stage that is clay themed so it could look something like this. Imagine platforms being drawn out and disappearing? That would be sweet!

A clay based Kirby stage would be awesome, and seeing as how we just got a Yoshi's Wolly World stage, I bet it will happen in Smash 5.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
A clay based Kirby stage would be awesome, and seeing as how we just got a Yoshi's Wolly World stage, I bet it will happen in Smash 5.
But the question will be if Rainbow Curse is still relevant by the time Smash 5 comes out.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
But the question will be if Rainbow Curse is still relevant by the time Smash 5 comes out.
What's eatin ya, bro? People thought the same for Super Mario Galaxy after Brawl, and look where we are now! We have Rosalina playable and a Galaxy Stage.

I may not be a Kirby expert, but I highly doubt Rainbow Curse will go unnoticed in the next Smash.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I may not be a Kirby expert, but I highly doubt Rainbow Curse will go unnoticed in the next Smash.
Sakurai ignores almost everything from Kirby that he didn't make himself, and he hasn't made a Kirby game since he left Nintendo.

Understandable, since Kirby is his baby.

Of course, if someone else makes the next Smash, then everything is on the table. Even Ridley.

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
Sakurai ignores almost everything from Kirby that he didn't make himself, and he hasn't made a Kirby game since he left Nintendo.

Understandable, since Kirby is his baby.

Of course, if someone else makes the next Smash, then everything is on the table. Even Ridley.
Your avatar is super duper cute~

AEMehr

Mii Fighter

I think Dark Samus can be different enough if they were interested in making her?/it a unique character. Anthony Higgs could probably work too, but I think Dark Samus is a more well-known and liked.

I guess that'd make neat DLC. I would hope for some Kirby's Epic Yarn but I suppose Wooly World kinda takes that niche.
Your avatar is super duper cute~
Do not judge a book by it's cover.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
It's a terrible source, but it's still the best source we've found so far. Certainly better then the Smashboards polls.
I'm not sure how that's a good source or a better source than a poll. The poll is specifically asking for characters people want in Smash. The games is just characters from any walk of life. I'm sure Cloud and Master Chief are high on there too.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
What would Anthony's moveset even be? the only thing we saw him do was with he big laser canon...thingy.

then he go his butt wrecked by Ridely, survived, meandered around the metroid infested space station, and then got into Samus's ship.

And why does he call her Princess? everytime a big black guy calls a smaller white girl "princess" I just get reminded of Beyond Two Souls....and thats not a good thing
Simple, he'd be a heavy weight characr very similar to :4miigun:. He also has a freezing gun he could use, similary to :4zss:'s Paralyser.

He could basically be the :4ganondorf: to :4zss:'s :4falcon:.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom