• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
That moveset is very unlikely to happen. Even if she came back, she would probably have the same moveset again for novice Marth players to play as.
I agree. As much of a Lucina user I am, I think she's done after this title, they'll probably just make her an alternate costume for Marth in the next title, same with Dark Pit and Dr Mario.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
I honestly don't think Dark Pit, Lucina, or Doctor Mario are going anywhere next Smash, I think they'll all probably be luigi-fied even further (with the possible exception of Doctor Mario, due to him already being pretty unique)

D

Deleted member

The Clone Trio is very peculiar to me in regards to the future.
On one hand, they were essentially filler based on pre-existing resources, so they may be lower in priority next go round and ultimately scrapped like what happened to Dr. Mario before.
On the other, they barely took much work to make, meaning they could very well be quickly made and not have to worry as much for being cut like the case with Toon Link.

Though Lucina may be in the same situation as Roy if there is another FE or two released between now and when the next Smash is in development without her.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I just hope they can come up with a good :4robinm:/:4robinf: replacement if there's gonna be an actual new Fire Emblem game. But FE x SMG is gonna keep :4marth::4myfriends::4robinm::4robinf::4lucina: 'relevant' or at least in the spotlight for a while. The possibility of a sequel to Awakening also shouldn't be ruled out. It did really well.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I just hope they can come up with a good :4robinm:/:4robinf: replacement if there's gonna be an actual new Fire Emblem game. But FE x SMG is gonna keep :4marth::4myfriends::4robinm::4robinf::4lucina: 'relevant' or at least in the spotlight for a while. The possibility of a sequel to Awakening also shouldn't be ruled out. It did really well.
I just hope they can come up with a good :4robinm:/:4robinf: replacement if there's gonna be an actual new Fire Emblem game.
:4robinm:/:4robinf: replacement
There's absolutely no reason for Robin to get replaced.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I don't think Robin is being replaced anytime soon.
He basically represents what FE is all about and is a unique character (which I think is why Ike wasn't cut from SSB4).
Unless a new FE game stars a tactician whose game is more critically praised than Awakening.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I don't think Robin is being replaced anytime soon.
He basically represents what FE is all about and is a unique character (which I think is why Ike wasn't cut from SSB4).
Unless a new FE game stars a tactician whose game is more critically praised than Awakening.
EVEN if that is the case, I think we would get the new praised game's tactician as an alternate, such as Alph.
We never got Marth replaced, we didn't even get Ike replaced. I'm nearly sure Robin is here to stay.

Dark Pit and Lucina, I'm sure are on their way out. Just like Roy, Pichu, Lucas-- they were clone* characters who have had their role taken over in their home series.

*I am not interested in again debating the clone status of these characters. Obviously, there is no such thing as a clone in a video game, a clone refers to DNA. However, the parallelism in the word applies colloquially to the fact that the same data can be taken from a base character and then altered; even if they don't play identically.

D

Deleted member

No such thing as a clone in a video game?
Smash alone has had three examples of a clone; Mewtwo, Snake, and Dark Pit.

Four if we count Pyrosphere's Ridley.

Last edited by a moderator:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I have a good idea. Let's just solve the clone issue by making the characters multiple palette swaps of the same model but with different attacks. If it worked for Mortal Kombat, it should work for Smash.

Last edited:

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
I wouldn't worry about it, bro. Robin already brings so much to Smash.
Yeah, on a serious note, the only thing I can imagine cutting Robin would be in favour of another Avatar. HOWEVER, I kinda expect Robin to be the consistent default name, so that would rule that out.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Yeah, on a serious note, the only thing I can imagine cutting Robin would be in favour of another Avatar. HOWEVER, I kinda expect Robin to be the consistent default name, so that would rule that out.
Yup

Besides, when would they ever make a far more unique avatar than Robin ever was? Not even Micaiah sounds too likely now...

Staarih

Smash Master
I don't know much about FE so I don't know how much of a full-fledged character Robin is in the game, but I've understood that (s)he is the avatar of Awakening, so couldn't (s)he be replaced with the (possible) avatar of some future FE-game? Essentially keeping the character but with a different design.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I don't know much about FE so I don't know how much of a full-fledged character Robin is in the game, but I've understood that (s)he is the avatar of Awakening, so couldn't (s)he be replaced with the (possible) avatar of some future FE-game? Essentially keeping the character but with a different design.
Robin is his/her own person. You're still playing as a character with established motives and interests, you only get to determine the person's name and appearance. Essentially like Shulk without the customizability.

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
Woof, I didn't expect Fire Emblem to be the talk of the character forums.

It brings much joy to my heart~

Lynisbestwaifuobviouslyfools

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Woof, I didn't expect Fire Emblem to be the talk of the character forums.

It brings much joy to my heart~

Lynisbestwaifuobviouslyfools
They used to be. All the time.

Horrible horrible times, but then Robin and Lucina were confirmed and everything became better.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
I wonder how a Fire Emblem Healer unit (Serra, Edean, Ethlin. Not picky. Actually I'm picky, I want Ethlin cause Fire Emblem 4 was crazy.) would work in Smash. Upgraded, obviously.

D

Deleted member

They used to be. All the time.

Horrible horrible times, but then Robin and Lucina were confirmed and everything became better.
Everything became better before even darker times with the ESRB leak. Hoo boy those discussions were ridiculous.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
There's absolutely no reason for Robin to get replaced.
Especially if Intelligent Systems is going to keep the My Unit like we all know they will.

The Clone Trio is very peculiar to me in regards to the future.
On one hand, they were essentially filler based on pre-existing resources, so they may be lower in priority next go round and ultimately scrapped like what happened to Dr. Mario before.
On the other, they barely took much work to make, meaning they could very well be quickly made and not have to worry as much for being cut like the case with Toon Link.

Though Lucina may be in the same situation as Roy if there is another FE or two released between now and when the next Smash is in development without her.
Wait, are we talking SSB5 now!?

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
How do you know My Unit is likely to return in a new FE game?
Well, we don't really know for sure, but considering that My Unit is already a recurring concept within the Fire Emblem series, played a notable part in making Awakening the success that it was, and has representation in the form of Robin in Smash, it seems like a safe bet that this is a feature that will return in future installments.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
That depends on the direction they want to take in the new FE game, so My Unit returning is still very uncertain. I doubt Robin being in Smash would influence a major part of developing the new FE game.

Ivander

Smash Legend
I wonder how a Fire Emblem Healer unit (Serra, Edean, Ethlin. Not picky. Actually I'm picky, I want Ethlin cause Fire Emblem 4 was crazy.) would work in Smash. Upgraded, obviously.
If there would be an FE character with a staff, most likely case it would be either Leif, Micaiah or Anna, since they have a secondary means of fighting(Micaiah with Light Tomes and Leif & Anna with swords).

That said, I can't exactly imagine a Healer being added to Smash since that is sort of Wii Fit Trainer's gimmick, with being able to heal herself. I'm not counting Robin since he heals through attacking. Wii Fit Trainer can heal herself without attacking. Despite that, there are staffs that can be used that don't rely on healing, like Rescue, Warp and Ward/Barrier.

How do you know My Unit is likely to return in a new FE game?
There are no guarantees, although so far since appearing in FE12, it's been used since then, even if it's only appeared twice. That said, if a remake of FE7 were inevitable, I'm pretty sure it would be used again.

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
Like I said before, I think IS really seem to just want to work with older games at this point in time, Awakening 2 seems to be an idea off in the distance.

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
The most important FE newcomer is Sigurd, riding a horse and using Tyrfing. Alm is a close second, with the unique weapons and fighting style established in the Awakening DLC.

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
The only way I can see:4robinm:/:4robinf: replaced, is if a future FE title made the avatar play a big part as in Awakening with similar abilities and being as successful or even more than FEA has.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
The only way I can see:4robinm:/:4robinf: replaced, is if a future FE title made the avatar play a big part as in Awakening with similar abilities and being as successful or even more than FEA has.
Even better: Robin stays the default avatar, and subsequent games update his appearance. Now he's in a mageish robe, next he's in a cloak and military uniform.

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
Even better: Robin stays the default avatar, and subsequent games update his appearance. Now he's in a mageish robe, next he's in a cloak and military uniform.
Meh, I don't think that'd happen if we take in mind Mark and Kris not returning in any other game, the fact that most games take place in different time periods, continents and worlds, somehow Morgan existance has to be explained through someone he/she married before, etc.

Last edited:

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
Robin can stay in Smash Bros for all I care, I just hope that Tacticians and such don't flood the FE roster.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
A healer unit would essentially work like a mage similar to Zelda and Palutena. Either it's primarily magic like Zelda or some staff usage like Pally. Or they could end up as joke units... I wouldn't mind a dancer unit since Sheik is apparently the only "dancer" with her glorious Down Smash.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom