• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
Chrom was rejected because he had no distinguishing characteristics from Marth and Ike; he could technically have been made unique on his own, but with those two around, his niche had been filled. There are no other spear users on the roster; Bandana Dee would be the first of his kind.

Also, Ephraim? Why would he ever be chosen as a spear user over someone like Bandana Dee?
the funny thing here is that chrom's biggest distinguishing characteristic is that he can use spears

not that you don't have a point overall but the way you said "chrom has no distinguishing factors" followed immediately by "we need more spear users" was kind of hilarious

Well, Ridley fans have "Toobigots" so I guess that speaks for itself.
we have to keep the farquaads out of our swamp

Last edited:

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
the funny thing here is that chrom's biggest distinguishing characteristic is that he can use spears

not that you don't have a point overall but the way you said "chrom has no distinguishing factors" followed immediately by "we need more spear users" was kind of hilarious

we have to keep the farquaads out of our swamp
Well, Chrom is already a final smash sooooo...ya

also I'd rather have GBA fire emblem character take the last spot in the FE rep crowd

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
It's not a huge part of his character or ability set, but it could still be used to set him apart. I don't support Chrom myself, but that's a pretty weak argument.

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
Hector can use a sword

Lyn can use a bow

its pretty obvious some lords are better than other lords with weapon usage but we just sometimes know them for just one weapon group

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I think Wii Fit Trainer and Bandana Dee are comparable in the sense that they basically just have one key ability each; yoga and spears, respectively. Same with Marth and his entirely sword-based moveset, really. Despite apparent limitations on their potential, they were made into completely unique characters; no character fights quite like they do (except Lucina, for obvious reasons). Similarly, Bandana Dee could use his spear to implement a fighting style not seen in any other fighter in Smash. It may not be flashy, per se, but it's certainly different and could be an interesting addition to the roster.
You know, Marth is literally just a swordsman. Marth = only a sword = nothing special about said sword = no magical qualities = just a sword for a moveset = perfectly unique playable character = yes.

I think the simple premise of a spear user alone has plenty of unique potential, even if you're unable to see it.
Marth got in with a criteria different from Smash 4's.
It's not that comparable.

Bandana Dee has become the next main Kirby character; his inclusion is quite justifiable at this point. So, as an important character with unique potential, he seems like a reasonable choice for the roster, no?
Unless he's highly advertised like Isabelle, I don't think Bandanna Dee will get in this early as DLC.
He might get in the next game though, though it depends on how long he can maintain significance to the Kirby franchise.

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
Okay, so, ya, We all love how sick hype the Boxing Stage is when it shows the Fighter's titles and such.

What would the title be for your DLC Character of your most love?

Lyndis "The Swordwoman of the Plains"

Now you guys try, its not hard at all~

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Okay, so, ya, We all love how sick hype the Boxing Stage is when it shows the Fighter's titles and such.

Wolf " Savage Mercenary" or "Leader of Star Wolf"

Sami "Quick Capture Commando"

Pious "Skeletal Sorcerer"

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767

Bandana Dee-
"Loyal Servant" - King Dedede's servant
"Helper to Hero" - Name of the mode where you can play as the enemies, (technically helpers in this case), of Kirby Super star.
"Royal Advisor" - Basically what he is.

Lip -
"Panel Princess" - Just something I could expect.
"Fairy of Flowers" - One that is more fitting.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336

Rayman-
"Limbless Wonder"
"Man, Vegetable, Thingamajig"

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
The boxing titles are pretty forgettable if I had to be honest.
Not really worth imagining ideas about.
I remember one time a long time ago people were talking about what color would appear with characters on the official website.
That really stood out to me for the kind of reason. :4dedede:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I still kinda doubt it. Sakurai already said he couldn't think of a new fire emblem sword moveset for Chrom, and I don't really think he'd rush for Bandana Dee for a spear based moveset when there's Ephraim to take care of stuff like that.
Besides, I don't think Kirby really needs a fourth representative
I find it fascinating you think FIRE EMBLEM deserves a FIFTH character before Kirby deserves a fourth.
...in other words, I blatantly think that is a massive oversight in reason, assumption, order, and value.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
I find it fascinating you think FIRE EMBLEM deserves a FIFTH character before Kirby deserves a fourth.
...in other words, I blatantly think that is a massive oversight in reason, assumption, order, and value.
It seems alright if the character in question was featured deliberately or was playable in any Smash franchise. I'm talking about Roy and Chrom. I view that a character has a better chance of being "in" if hey were previously in (thus making the character easier to make - not as much creativity needed) and it also helps Roy is a current clone of Marth.

Chrom on the other hand... is an interesting case. He was kind of the butt-monkey in Sm4sh. That Palutena convo as well as the trailer really hit Awakening Fans in the place where the sun don't shine.

I'm not advocating who's more important. All characters who are playable in Nintendo games are equally viable. But I'm stating that these two FE characters are more possible for DLC than the others.

Unless your name is Ridley

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
It seems alright if the character in question was featured deliberately or was playable in any Smash franchise. I'm talking about Roy and Chrom. I view that a character has a better chance of being "in" if hey were previously in (thus making the character easier to make - not as much creativity needed) and it also helps Roy is a current clone of Marth.

Chrom on the other hand... is an interesting case. He was kind of the butt-monkey in Sm4sh. That Palutena convo as well as the trailer really hit Awakening Fans in the place where the sun don't shine.

I'm not advocating who's more important. All characters who are playable in Nintendo games are equally viable. But I'm stating that these two FE characters are more possible for DLC than the others.

Unless your name is Ridley
I absolutely, 100 percent disagree.
I have stated in the past that I believe veterans, more specifically, have less of a chance of being DLC than other characters, because Nintendo is on a mission with DLC to make sure that it feels like new content, and veterans in no way accomplish this goal. Sakurai has echoed this concern more acutely even still than Miyamoto did two years ago when Nintendo broke into the DLC world.
Chrom is a particularly narrower case, because he even recently was rejected from the playable roster list, and has done nothing to change the view.

The fact of the Fire Emblem cast is that Sakurai has stated that Robin made it the essence of the game feel present, and that is something that Roy and Chrom not only do not add to at this point, but are complete wastes of space doing. They are, quite literally, litter, for a series that does not need anything else to its name, and was fortunate enough to have four characters already in it.

It seems absolutely unfathomable to add another Fire Emblem character to a roster of this size, and if so, another that plays so nearly to ones that have already been added, is like the fans asking for three more Pits. Rose Colored glasses don't even compare to what the Fire Emblem fans must have on.

You say that like veterans don't take just as much work as newcomers. Lucas, Wolf, Ice Climbers, Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Snake are all wholly unique characters.
Now, I think the best way to do it is to package 1 character, 1 clone/semi, 1+ stage w/ music, and maybe costumes in a single pack.
The stages would be available on both versions for the sake of fairness.
So, for example:

Zelda Pack:
- Ghirahim
- Impa (Sheik clone)
- Pirate Ship stage
- Ocarina of Time costumes for Link, Zelda, Sheik, Ganondorf, and Impa
I think the point was that the marketing for a veteran Plus a newcomer would help each sell well.
The marketing for a Zelda pack would actually hinder all content within- because it would only target Zelda and Smash audiences.
If you have four newcomers- Mewtwo, Impa, Vaati, and Sceptile- the best strategy would be to sell them with opposite franchises, Mewtwo/Impa, Vaati/Mewtwo, Impa/Sceptile, Sceptile/Vaati. This way, fans of either individual series end up getting both packs, whereas those who specifically don't like the one franchise, at least may be neutral toward the other.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I think the point was that the marketing for a veteran Plus a newcomer would help each sell well.
The marketing for a Zelda pack would actually hinder all content within- because it would only target Zelda and Smash audiences.
If you have four newcomers- Mewtwo, Impa, Vaati, and Sceptile- the best strategy would be to sell them with opposite franchises, Mewtwo/Impa, Vaati/Mewtwo, Impa/Sceptile, Sceptile/Vaati. This way, fans of either individual series end up getting both packs, whereas those who specifically don't like the one franchise, at least may be neutral toward the other.
Call me crazy, but I think that would result in less sales.
A pack with two newcomers from different series would cost more versus a pack with a newcomer and clone from the same.
Not only would the increased price turn people off in general, but if it's packaged with someone they don't want, they might just skip out altogether.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
To add to that, looking at how Nintendo has handled DLC, they've always bundled their content under the same thematic. For instance, when we got DLC for Hyrule Warriors, they released Twili Midna alongside Zelda's Dominion Rod and the Twilight map rather then having them split up and putting her in the Master Quest pack. Similarly, Link was released with the Hyrule track for the first set of DLC, and the Animal Crossing characters were released together for the second set.

So with that in mind, I think if DLC is done with multiple characters/stages/etc. from the same series, they'll likely be bundled together rather then split up.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Exactly. If the DLC is in a pack at ALL, it will be themed. Maybe not by series, but that is, in my opinion, the most likely candidate - easier to organize and lets fans of said series buy the content unhindered.
The only other themes I can think of are character themes, which seem impossible to me because they would have to pick characters based on each theme, and that's extremely backwards, or themes based on Melee and Brawl, which is even more limited because it would only encompass veterans.

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
Exactly. If the DLC is in a pack at ALL, it will be themed. Maybe not by series, but that is, in my opinion, the most likely candidate - easier to organize and lets fans of said series buy the content unhindered.
The only other themes I can think of are character themes, which seem impossible to me because they would have to pick characters based on each theme, and that's extremely backwards, or themes based on Melee and Brawl, which is even more limited because it would only encompass veterans.
Or prehaps you could have a theme of...of....uuuhhh....Character types? like Brawler, Shooter, Swords, weapons

also ATs, moving stages, ect ect

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Or prehaps you could have a theme of...of....uuuhhh....Character types? like Brawler, Shooter, Swords, weapons
Again, that's character themes, and extremely limited.
also ATs,
What? Assist Trophies as DLC? Why?
Why would they make content that you can't really even use intentionally?
Making Assist Trophies paid DLC would be like paying to have a 6 painted on a die.

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
Again, that's character themes, and extremely limited.

What? Assist Trophies as DLC? Why?
Why would they make content that you can't really even use intentionally?
Making Assist Trophies paid DLC would be like paying to have a 6 painted on a die.
I'm just spit balling ideas >.< geeezzz lay off dad, gosh

Last edited:

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Bandana Dee-
"Loyal Servant" - King Dedede's servant
"Helper to Hero" - Name of the mode where you can play as the enemies, (technically helpers in this case), of Kirby Super star.
"Royal Advisor" - Basically what he is.

Lip -
"Panel Princess" - Just something I could expect.
"Fairy of Flowers" - One that is more fitting.
Oh man I love the "Helper to Hero" tag.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
I absolutely, 100 percent disagree.
I have stated in the past that I believe veterans, more specifically, have less of a chance of being DLC than other characters, because Nintendo is on a mission with DLC to make sure that it feels like new content, and veterans in no way accomplish this goal. Sakurai has echoed this concern more acutely even still than Miyamoto did two years ago when Nintendo broke into the DLC world.
Chrom is a particularly narrower case, because he even recently was rejected from the playable roster list, and has done nothing to change the view.

The fact of the Fire Emblem cast is that Sakurai has stated that Robin made it the essence of the game feel present, and that is something that Roy and Chrom not only do not add to at this point, but are complete wastes of space doing. They are, quite literally, litter, for a series that does not need anything else to its name, and was fortunate enough to have four characters already in it.

It seems absolutely unfathomable to add another Fire Emblem character to a roster of this size, and if so, another that plays so nearly to ones that have already been added, is like the fans asking for three more Pits. Rose Colored glasses don't even compare to what the Fire Emblem fans must have on.

You have a good point, yet there are a few fallacious issues I wish to address. It is unfathomable to add another FE character to a roster of this size? You are aware the Pokemon franchise has 5 representatives in a series spanning 6 generations? Mario franchise has 7 reps, not counting DK or Yoshi?

IN addition, you say that veterans have a lesser chance of making it. What about Mewtwo then? He is a veteran and Nintendo decided to bring him back for Smash.

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
You have a good point, yet there are a few fallacious issues I wish to address. It is unfathomable to add another FE character to a roster of this size? You are aware the Pokemon franchise has 5 representatives in a series spanning 6 generations? Mario franchise has 7 reps, not counting DK or Yoshi?

IN addition, you say that veterans have a lesser chance of making it. What about Mewtwo then? He is a veteran and Nintendo decided to bring him back for Smash.
I always love it when someone says FE is getting too much rep in Smash 4 then I just look over and point to Super Mario's rep pool, which is like 10 or 9 at this point

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Nobody cares about "reps".
If Sakurai likes a character, he will add it to the roster without thinking in the number of characters per franchise.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Are we...are we seriously going to use Pokemon and Mario as a justification as to why another Fire Emblem character should be added? I mean really?

Mario and Pokemon are the two most successful video game franchises in the world, featuring characters that are recognisable even to people who don't play video games.

The fact they have the most amount of characters is for such obvious reasons, it seems pointless to explain why the likes of Mario/Pokemon and Fire Emblem are rather different situations.

If we DO get another Fire Emblem character, I'd assume it'd be because said character adds something not currently in Smash, but I'd also assume it'd be from the more recent games...since ya know; that's what most of the newcomers are, retros aside.

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
I always love it when someone says FE is getting too much rep in Smash 4 then I just look over and point to Super Mario's rep pool, which is like 10 or 9 at this point
The key difference between FE and Mario however, is that Mario has far more games and far more sales than Fire Emblem. Mario is far more well known than Fire Emblem and his games make millions of dollars, while Awakening barely broke a million. And Yoshi and Wario are not considered Mario reps by Sakurai, otherwise they'd have the Mario icon, but they don't. Therefore they have 7 with 7 alts. That may be a bit much, but you seem to be exaggerating the importance of Fire Emblem, with Awakening's sales while everyone and their grandma at least heard of Mario.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
The key difference between FE and Mario however, is that Mario has far more games and far more sales than Fire Emblem. Mario is far more well known than Fire Emblem and his games make millions of dollars, while Awakening barely broke a million. And Yoshi and Wario are not considered Mario reps by Sakurai, otherwise they'd have the Mario icon, but they don't. Therefore they have 7 with 7 alts. That may be a bit much, but you seem to be exaggerating the importance of Fire Emblem, with Awakening's sales while everyone and their grandma at least heard of Mario.
Overall, I feel FE is getting more well-known across the Nintendo community. It's definitely more popular than it was during the Melee era. It is still a niche market, but it does have the potential to explode into something bigger. Plus, attractive guys with swords in Smash = a lot of female gamers swooning over. No offense meant to any person or stereotype.

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
Overall, I feel FE is getting more well-known across the Nintendo community. It's definitely more popular than it was during the Melee era. It is still a niche market, but it does have the potential to explode into something bigger. Plus, attractive guys with swords in Smash = a lot of female gamers swooning over. No offense meant to any person or stereotype.
Don't worry about it, you sir just explained the entire Smash Bros shipping fanbase

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
If another new Fire Emblem game comes out and turns out to be very successful, but the only main character happens to be a sword-wielder, do you think Sakurai would consider the character for playability?

Last edited:

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
If another new Fire Emblem game comes out and turns out to be very successful, but the only main character happens to be a sword-wielder, do you think Sakurai would consider the character for playability?
Well, judging from what Intelligent systems are wanting to do it seems like we're inbound for some crossovers (SMTxFE) and remakes. but for the answer to your question...maybe? It depends on how that Sword user works in comparison to other FE sword user lords/main characters

Last edited:

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
I really don't think we'll get a Fire Emblem newcomer next Smash unless Fire Emblem grows really big between now and then. 5 characters seems like a bit much for FE.

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
It may be getting more well known, but Mario still is far more popular than Fire Emblem. Unless another game comes out and it exceeds Awakening, I find a fifth FE rep unnecessary.

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
i wonder how everyone would react if we did get a 5th FE rep....

judging by this forum I would say not great...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom