• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
Hence why I said take your pick. It's also possible it'll be someone I didn't mention - Riki, Prince of Sable, ****ing Nintendog for all I know. I just feel like people are holding way too strong to the "no assist trophies" rule.

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
>speculating on Smash
>calling yourself logical

You can't be logical about Smash newcomers because Smash newcomers don't follow any sort of logic aside from taking fan demand into account. And even then, sometimes they put in characters specifically due to a lack of fan demand, so you're ****ed either way.

We're all taking shots in the dark, and that's okay because it's fun.

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
>speculating on Smash

You can't be logical about Smash newcomers because Smash newcomers don't follow any sort of logic aside from taking fan demand into account. And even then, sometimes they put in characters specifically due to a lack of fan demand, so you're ****ed either way.

Your know what else is fun?

dreams

well all have them

dreams

never let go....*ques the sad music*

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
>speculating on Smash

Exactly why I support Vaati. I'm not the logical one. :awesome:

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
1.YOU DECIDE (because i cant think of anyone who is worthy to take the spot)
WOLF.:wolf:(Can't Let anyone else take that spot)
I suppose in that light, Lucas is truly done for. However, I still believe Wolf will be in the game eventually. However, it might be better to make him available after all the other new characters, in order to possibly escape the withheld content feel. Or make it worse.
Wolf will be in the game, its just when, will it be Spring 2015 or Winter 2015. At the least they could at least confirm they'll work on him.(as well as any other cut veterans).
:wolf::lucas::popo:(:roymelee::pichumelee::younglinkmelee:):snake:

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319

I think this finally proves that Bandana Dee is a main Kirby character. He and Kirby seem to be the lone characters in this game with the King and Knight no where to be found.

Does this mean that he will be DLC? No, of course not. Does this mean he has a good shot in Smash 5? Yes.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain

I think this finally proves that Bandana Dee is a main Kirby character. He and Kirby seem to be the lone characters in this game with the King and Knight no where to be found.

Does this mean that he will be DLC? No, of course not. Does this mean he has a good shot in Smash 5? Yes.
Kirby doing his Smash artwork pose in the begining? Master Hand and Crazy Hand copies?!
It's a conspiracy!

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
I legitimately feel the Smash community blows veteran chances far too highly, when Sakurai (and Nintendo as a whole) have avidly claimed they want DLC to feel like fresh material, and not withheld content. Veterans are the epitome of feeling like "withheld content." The claim that veterans are a safe pick is not even substantiated- there is no proof to say fans would want a veteran to return more than a newcomer enter. If anything, particularly to the casual player, Id say the seemingly similar play styles of Wolf and Lucas would actually detract people from feeling they are necessary to purchase,

Additionally, Lucas seems to be one of the lowest on my veteran list. His own creator said his series is complete, and Sakurai has gone on record to state he is not very prioritized in concern with representing series' without a foreseeable future.

All that said, if more veterans get in (which of course, I don't think is unquestionable, just not the priority compared to new characters) I would list the order:
:popo:,:wolf:,:pt:or:ivysaur:/:squirtle:
Depending on how reworked Mewtwo is, I think the possibility of a reworked PT really could happen, particularly since he ushered in the avatar character we see everywhere now in Smash (Robin, Villager, WFT). If not him, I'd say the duo of Squirtle and Ivysaur.

Ice Climbers is there because I legitimately think we have not been given enough data to know how much effort they were able to put into making them work in the game in the first go 'round. With more time to work on them, the technical difficulties may have resolved themselves in coding, particularly since Sakurai believed it could be done after his initial interview when he expressed they were still being worked on.
Personally I feel their smartest move, if they go forward with dlc, would be to package one veteran and one newcomer together. Nintendo is a for profit company first and foremost, and a newcomer and a veteran, would be the cheapest, and yet most enticing combo Nintendo could produce IMO.
And veterans being withheld content? I don't feel that so much, not unless that was their original intent, and we know it was not.

At this point we just need to support the heck out of people buying both games, or paying for mewtwo when he becomes available if we want any dlc veterans or newcomers to see the light of day.

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me

Idk about that, there's more to getting a sure shot than being important to a franchise as a whole, like moveset potential, which Bandana Dee does NOT have.

Bandana Dee= Only a spear= nothing special about said spear= no magical qualities= just a spear for a moveset= easy to get bummed out from= no.

Pallex

Smash Journeyman
Idk about that, there's more to getting a sure shot than being important to a franchise as a whole, like moveset potential, which Bandana Dee does NOT have.

Bandana Dee= Only a spear= nothing special about said spear= no magical qualities= just a spear for a moveset= easy to get bummed out from= no.
I wonder how many people can envision a moveset for Captain Falcon, Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Duck Hunt Dog, and others. Duck Hunt Dog is playable in Super Smash Bros Crusade but not Wii Fit Trainer or Villager.

I'm sticking with "expect nothing but surprises" mentality for Super Smash Bros. Of course if Masahiro Sakurai isn't developing anymore Kirby games than that could be a problem for Bandana Dee. :c

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
I wonder how many people can envision a moveset for Captain Falcon, Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Duck Hunt Dog, and others. Duck Hunt Dog is playable in Super Smash Bros Crusade but not Wii Fit Trainer or Villager.

I'm sticking with "expect nothing but surprises" mentality for Super Smash Bros. Of course if Masahiro Sakurai isn't developing anymore Kirby games than that could be a problem for Bandana Dee. :c
It was probably easy for all of those characters.

I would have less doubt in Bandana Dee if his spear would've been magical. It's not like the Monado, or Krystal's staff, or Pit's bow, or Robin's magic tomes.

Pallex

Smash Journeyman

I would have less doubt in Bandana Dee if his spear would've been magical. It's not like the Monado, or Krystal's staff, or Pit's bow, or Robin's magic tomes.

Who imagined the Wii Fit Trainer would have a projectile attack? Not me so I guess the Wii Fit Trainer is magical and maybe everyone else is magical too.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Imagine if, during Smash 64 speculation, there was one Japanese guy who tried to convinced everyone Captain Falcon would become playable with a super-sentai moveset.

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
>deetractors

When you have a name for the people who don't think your favorite character has a shot at getting in, maybe you're the crazy one.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

You know, Marth is literally just a swordsman. Marth = only a sword = nothing special about said sword = no magical qualities = just a sword for a moveset = perfectly unique playable character = yes.

I think the simple premise of a spear user alone has plenty of unique potential, even if you're unable to see it.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Part of me wants to think that the majority of the new characters we got this game fill a unique role on purpose.
As in, Sakurai had plans laid out for several different character archetypes - a puppet character, a fast relentless melee character, a summon character, a projectile heavy character, a mounted / mech-based fighter, etc. Then they went through the process of gathering all the characters they were allowed to use, and then chose the ones that fit the archetypes that were laid out before development began.
It makes sense, doesn't it? It would explain how Rosalina became the puppet character, for starters. It could also explain why certain characters did not make the cut - for example, Chrom could have been made unique, but he also doesn't fill any of the archetypes the new characters fill, so he was passed for Robin.

All I know is, I think this is what I'll do when I make movesets. Come up with arcehtypes not yet filled, then give them to characters I like.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Personally I feel their smartest move, if they go forward with dlc, would be to package one veteran and one newcomer together. Nintendo is a for profit company first and foremost, and a newcomer and a veteran, would be the cheapest, and yet most enticing combo Nintendo could produce IMO.
And veterans being withheld content? I don't feel that so much, not unless that was their original intent, and we know it was not.

At this point we just need to support the heck out of people buying both games, or paying for mewtwo when he becomes available if we want any dlc veterans or newcomers to see the light of day.
I agree that packs would be most likely- particularly with the precedent Nintendo has set in the past with ... every major DLC content game. It would also ensure that more of the packs are bought. I of course cannot say for certain, but I'd love to see this be the case.
With of course, new stages, music, assist trophies, game modes, costumes/alternate characters (I'm not nearly as much of a stickler as most in this department), and then some.
I love adding more content, and I think we got a bit shafted this game, particularly after the leap from Melee to Brawl, wherein the growth was nearly tripled. Each game (3DS and Wii U) are certainly complete enough compared to most industry standard games, but compared to other smash games for the time, they feel more vacant to me, superficial. I'm in the camp that another really good game mode is as needed for this game, as the battle roads are needed to be updated in MK8.

Not that either appears to be in the works.

Part of me wants to think that the majority of the new characters we got this game fill a unique role on purpose.
As in, Sakurai had plans laid out for several different character archetypes - a puppet character, a fast relentless melee character, a summon character, a projectile heavy character, a mounted / mech-based fighter, etc. Then they went through the process of gathering all the characters they were allowed to use, and then chose the ones that fit the archetypes that were laid out before development began.
It makes sense, doesn't it? It would explain how Rosalina became the puppet character, for starters. It could also explain why certain characters did not make the cut - for example, Chrom could have been made unique, but he also doesn't fill any of the archetypes the new characters fill, so he was passed for Robin.

All I know is, I think this is what I'll do when I make movesets. Come up with arcehtypes not yet filled, then give them to characters I like.
If we had other important archetypes from fighting games, such as a grappler, and a trapster, I would find it more likely.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I don't think I'll want to follow the next Smash Bros myself. Maybe because it's such a toss-up for who'll be in and regardless, they'll be loved everywhere all the same.

Besides, I'm just looking to see Toad now after giving up on most of my personal wishes after seeing how they're in bottom line of possibilities due majority of negative factors.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
You say that like veterans don't take just as much work as newcomers. Lucas, Wolf, Ice Climbers, Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Snake are all wholly unique characters.
Now, I think the best way to do it is to package 1 character, 1 clone/semi, 1+ stage w/ music, and maybe costumes in a single pack.
The stages would be available on both versions for the sake of fairness.
So, for example:

Zelda Pack:
- Ghirahim
- Impa (Sheik clone)
- Pirate Ship stage
- Ocarina of Time costumes for Link, Zelda, Sheik, Ganondorf, and Impa

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319

That's a pretty narrow way of looking at it. Bandana Dee doesn't just have to use the spear, he could use an Umbrella or even helpers from Kirby Super Star.

If Wii Fit Trainer can have a unique and fun moveset, Bandana Dee can easily have one as well.

I posted the video because it proves that Bandana Dee isn't a minor character anymore when he appears alongside Kirby when Meta Knight and King Dedede are nowhere to be seen.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
That's a pretty narrow way of looking at it. Bandana Dee doesn't just have to use the spear, he could use an Umbrella or even helpers from Kirby Super Star.

If Wii Fit Trainer can have a unique and fun moveset, Bandana Dee can easily have one as well.

I posted the video because it proves that Bandana Dee isn't a minor character anymore when he appears alongside Kirby when Meta Knight and King Dedede are nowhere to be seen.
Mainstay characters get left out all the time. Think about it, they already scrapped Chrom, they just explained why Ridley is not downsized to be playable, and they just demoted Wario to an Unlockable character. Being a heavy part of a franchise is A key, not THE key.

And I cannot legitimately believe how Wii Fit Trainer and Bandana Dee could have the same case. I know Yoga and Wii Fit pretty well, and unlike Bandana Dee would be, none of Wii Fit trainers moves are unusual or surprising in any way, shape, or form.

And I don't think Sakurai would give Bandana Dee a parasol for a recovery move, that's ripping off Peach.

And I'm not saying it's a pipe dream at all, I'm just saying I HIGHLY doubt it.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Mainstay characters get left out all the time. Think about it, they already scrapped Chrom, they just explained why Ridley is not downsized to be playable, and they just demoted Wario to an Unlockable character. Being a heavy part of a franchise is A key, not THE key.

And I cannot legitimately believe how Wii Fit Trainer and Bandana Dee could have the same case. I know Yoga and Wii Fit pretty well, and unlike Bandana Dee would be, none of Wii Fit trainers moves are unusual or surprising in any way, shape, or form.

And I don't think Sakurai would give Bandana Dee a parasol for a recovery move, that's ripping off Peach.

And I'm not saying it's a pipe dream at all, I'm just saying I HIGHLY doubt it.
I think Wii Fit Trainer and Bandana Dee are comparable in the sense that they basically just have one key ability each; yoga and spears, respectively. Same with Marth and his entirely sword-based moveset, really. Despite apparent limitations on their potential, they were made into completely unique characters; no character fights quite like they do (except Lucina, for obvious reasons). Similarly, Bandana Dee could use his spear to implement a fighting style not seen in any other fighter in Smash. It may not be flashy, per se, but it's certainly different and could be an interesting addition to the roster. And, as previously established, Bandana Dee has become the next main Kirby character; his inclusion is quite justifiable at this point. So, as an important character with unique potential, he seems like a reasonable choice for the roster, no?

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
I think Wii Fit Trainer and Bandana Dee are comparable in the sense that they basically just have one key ability each; yoga and spears, respectively. Same with Marth and his entirely sword-based moveset, really. Despite apparent limitations on their potential, they were made into completely unique characters; no character fights quite like they do (except Lucina, for obvious reasons). Similarly, Bandana Dee could use his spear to implement a fighting style not seen in any other fighter in Smash. It may not be flashy, per se, but it's certainly different and could be an interesting addition to the roster. And, as previously established, Bandana Dee has become the next main Kirby character; his inclusion is quite justifiable at this point. So, as an important character with unique potential, he seems like a reasonable choice for the roster, no?
I still kinda doubt it. Sakurai already said he couldn't think of a new fire emblem sword moveset for Chrom, and I don't really think he'd rush for Bandana Dee for a spear based moveset when there's Ephraim to take care of stuff like that.

Besides, I don't think Kirby really needs a fourth representative

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I still kinda doubt it. Sakurai already said he couldn't think of a new fire emblem sword moveset for Chrom, and I don't really think he'd rush for Bandana Dee for a spear based moveset when there's Ephraim to take care of stuff like that.

Besides, I don't think Kirby really needs a fourth representative
Chrom was rejected because he had no distinguishing characteristics from Marth and Ike; he could technically have been made unique on his own, but with those two around, his niche had been filled. There are no other spear users on the roster; Bandana Dee would be the first of his kind.

Also, Ephraim? Why would he ever be chosen as a spear user over someone like Bandana Dee?

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Chrom was rejected because he had no distinguishing characteristics from Marth and Ike; he could technically have been made unique on his own, but with those two around, his niche had been filled. There are no other spear users on the roster; Bandana Dee would be the first of his kind.

Also, Ephraim? Why would he ever be chosen as a spear user over someone like Bandana Dee?
I personally think a fire emblem character deserves the first spear user on smash more than Bandana Dee, plus Ephraim just flat out uses nothing but a spear, and is one of the main characters in Sacred Stones, which was rereleasd for the Ambassador program for select 3DS users, so he wasn't dead at all.

Honestly, when I think spears, I don't think Kirby, I think Fire Emblem.

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026

There could be many reasons, but if you talking about reasoning with S-man then...ya, good luck figuring out that one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom