• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
I think both of these aren't necessarily bad things.
Also, Mega Man, Shulk, and Palutena don't have Final Smashes similar to Ike/Link at all.

Mega Man's is cinematic like Captain Falcon, as is Shulk's, and Palutena's is mostly similar to Samus.
I didn't list mega mans having an Ike/Link final smash, I said they require assistance. Palutena's sends them to the top and hits them rapidly like Ike's and Shulk traps them, hits them multiple times and then the final blow, doesn't matter if its cinematic.

Severn

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1478-4772-7152
All the character alt costumes are on nintendoeverything.com if anyone wanted to know where they're all coming from. Also more details such as custom moves, final smashes and items. It's currently crashed at the moment due to traffic though.

http://imgur.com/a/vtRyf

Last edited:

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
I wonder if they will introduce a character specifically from Bandai. I have a feeling they won't, only because 4 third party fighters means you can have a match with all separate fighters as have none of them be Nintendo characters. That, and I feel as though they've made a huge deal about our current third party characters, so adding another would get overlooked a bit in terms if advertising.
It's doubtful that a 4th 3rd party would be in this time around it's lucky enough we have 3, but it's cool to think about it. Surely a Digimon isn't that out of place considering Agumon still has a cartoon-like appearance that can jump around punching / kicking / claw attacks / signature attack Pepper breath / etc.
Depends on if you consider virtual pets substantial enough to be called a video game. Personally, it'd just be weird having a Digimon character in Super Smash Bros. It would feel kind of like jumping the Sharpedo.

Although finally being able to own Greymon with Charizard would be pretty satisfying.
Touche. But then, going by that same logic, :rob: was just an accessory in 1985, not even a video game character until his two & only two games came out afterwards. Disregarding his much-important history to Nintendo & video games in general, Digimon starting out as a virtual pet toy game on a screen of pixels, sounds more plausible that they're 3rd party rather than 4th party. I don't see why it would be weird, there's competition of franchises like Nintendo's :4mario: VS SEGA's :4sonic:, so why would it be weird to see a Digimon with Pokemon in Smash? What did everyone compare to each other more back then? Digital Monsters VS Pocket Monsters. Agumon vs. Pikachu / Charizard. You can see the competitive hype behind that right?
How could Agumon work without being a transformation character?
He would need to Digivolve, and more than one stage.
Well, he wouldn't need to, but if he didn't it would be a waste of Agumon.

I suppose it could be changing hitboxes, and changing move properties, not changing the moves themselves.
This could be based on an energy meter.

Would be a completely unique character, that is for sure.
Question would be: would we see him fight Charizard more, or Pikachu?
Video games showing Digimon have Agumon fighting without Digivolving / transforming, Especially the fighting Digimon games we have out & know of. So necessarily he doesn't need to like you took back & said, but again it would waste very much potential for a unique fighting character like a Digimon to be in Smash if they can't even Digivolve.

Everything you elaborated about Digivolving, was well said. The size of the character can be re-sized by Sakurai, & his move-set doesn't have to change like you've said but everything else has to change. Digivolving in a fighting game & the hypothetical situation that a Digimon gets nothing different at all would be & is simply a waste of development & time.

Your questions answer(s) can vary, there isn't just one right answer:
Fan-base Ideal MatchUp: Agumon VS Charizard
Franchise Ideal MatchUp: Agumon VS Pikachu.

If you were to ask people about DIgimon, it'd be exactly like sking people about Pokemon. They'd say "Agumon!" because he's practically the mascot to the anime & games. So I'd roll more with the second answer making it "Franchise-related answer"
I would just use WarGreymon as Agumon's FS and leave the digivolving at that. Maybe Imperialdramon if you want to get really refferential and Finale-worthy.

Although to be honest I'd prefer Veemon or Flamedramon to Agumon. Season 2 was always superior...
Ahhh, it's good to see DIgimon on user's replies.:shades:
Wargreymon is a common & notable FS idea. It is his Mega Level Digivolution & would shoot a Terra Force Sphere at the whole stage. Triple KO is obvious.:shades: Although I must ask you to specifiy your Imperialdramon form, there's like 3 right? Dragon, Fighter, & Paladin mode, & Paladin form is basically a God Tier Digimon, so that would insta 3 stock everyone with his FS.:shades:

As for your honesty, imo it's justified, since Season 2 was cool. Despite your subjective statement about superiority, I don't mind since Veemon is a hoss.:shades:
Popo getting in as solo is incredibly unlikely, why get rid of a unique concept?
Because that unique concept back then wasn't looked at as an issue. However I as well as perhaps many others are quite tired of the 14 long years of the grab gimmick. If SoPo is going to be the answer to this issue, then so be it.

I personally wouldn't want that to go down like I posted previously, I'd like if Nana was kept with him, the desync'ing element to IC's was unique & skillful to see. 9B shows so much potential & Style for Grab Climbers in Brawl it's insane to see just what they can really do besides Grab 0% to death. (BTW everyone should watch that if you want to be impressed, 9B is an amazing IC's player)
It feels lackluster to me due to the cuts. 7 unique character cuts. 15 unique movesets so do a little subtraction and we only gained 8 characters. 6 of these are avatars. 2 are 3rd party.
I'm painfully reminded again that my potential Brawl & Project M main may not be in Smash 4. . . .or 5mash unless DLC.

Everyone should cry me a forest.:ivysaur::ivysaur::ivysaur::ivysaur::ivysaur::ivysaur::ivysaur::ivysaur:
This Smash title for now at this time as "most tragic roster"
Hypothetically speaking: RIP :popo::ivysaur::lucas::pt::sheilda::snake::squirtle::wolf:
Yet I was expecting some disappointment because I was aware of Sakurai telling via source that not every character will return. BUT the newcomers this time around blew me away. I really did not see those characters excluding Dr. Mario to be in this time's SMash Brothers. So many twists!
Don't forget the hype that Sm4sh brought with the newcomers on a wide-scale!:4littlemac::4megaman::4pacman:
HMs::4bowser::4falcon::4charizard::4dedede::4diddy::4dk::4fox::4greninja::4kirby::4myfriends::4link::4lucario::4lucina::4luigi::4mario::4marth::4metaknight::4mii::4olimar::4palutena::4peach::4pikachu::4pit::4robinm::4robinf::rosalina::4samus::4sheik::4shulk::4sonic::4tlink::4villager::4wiifit::4yoshi::4zelda::4zss::substitute:
One thing I don't like about our newcomers is that the majority of them use a similar Ike/Link final smash, and the majority of them require assistance:

Villager - The Nooks - has a Ike/Link final smash.
Mega Man - The other Mega Mans.
Robin - Chrom - Has a Ike/Link final smash.
Shulk - Dunban and Riki - Has a Ike/Link final smash.
Palutena - Has a Ike/Link final smash
Greninja - Has a Ike/Link final smash

see what I mean.
Assistance = cool & extra cameo appearances of other characters. I don't see anything wrong with assisting characters in Final Smashes, that's basically summoning an AT, cinematic or not. Who knows, speculation to go that far for grasping straws, Chrom could be an AT along with Dunban as one too!

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
One thing I don't like about our newcomers is that the majority of them use a similar Ike/Link final smash, and the majority of them require assistance:

Villager - The Nooks - has a Ike/Link final smash.

Mega Man - The other Mega Mans.

Robin - Chrom - Has a Ike/Link final smash.

Shulk - Dunban and Riki - Has a Ike/Link final smash.

Palutena - Has a Ike/Link final smash

Greninja - Has a Ike/Link final smash

see what I mean.
To be fair... Megaman's Galaxy Black Hole weapon is a final smash of its own. It's an extremely OP weapon even for MM canon standards.
The fact that all Megamen joined him INSIDE... that's pure glorious fan service. But the Black Hole victim was already KO'd before the the Mega Men fired their buster cannons. :)

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I actually have one more roster to share.
It's exactly the same, except Ridley.

Leaked Roster.png

I actually changed the layout of the roster, since I think all these characters WILL happen one way or another and the icons generally are more wide than tall.

Red icons denote characters with alts. (Olimar/Alph, Bowser Jr./Koopalings, Ness/Lucas)

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Does the one game thing really matter? Why does it matter for Robin, but not Greninja? And no, you can't say X and Y count as two games. :p

And he is actually extremely representative of Fire Emblem, considering he's all about the strategy aspect, uses magic and multiple weapons, and the weapons have durability.

Robin has a set personality, though.
The point is he isn't important to the fire emblem franchise.

View attachment 24598

I actually changed the layout of the roster, since I think all these characters WILL happen one way or another and the icons generally are more wide than tall.

Red icons denote characters with alts. (Olimar/Alph, Bowser Jr./Koopalings, Ness/Lucas)
If this is the roster I don't ever need another smash.

Last edited:

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord

View attachment 24598

THIS IS GENIUS, are you Reggie Norris in disguise?

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Something just occurred to me: Considering how colorful the alts in this game are, what if Bowser Jr. just has colors based on the Koopalings, but not actual Koopalings?
The leaker got Alph right + Larry trophy on the Koopa clown car.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
The point is he isn't important to the fire emblem franchise.
I get that he's a customizable avatar but how could he possibly not be important to the franchise? Do you determine importance by who's on the box art or something? It reminds me of the same logic that everyone used to justify why Chrom was a "shoo-in" even before the second Gematsu leak became a thing.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Smash Master
I get that he's a customizable avatar but how could he possibly not be important to the franchise? Do you determine importance by who's on the box art or something? It reminds me of the same logic that everyone used to justify why Chrom was a "shoo-in" even before the second Gematsu leak became a thing.
I'm not arguing he isn't important to that game, I'm saying robin isn't important to the franchise.[/quote]

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace

View attachment 24598

Besides, what's stopping the 3DS from scrolling down a bit more to choose the roster?
All of the arbitrary posting about the Roster staying in one place is absurd!

My opinion: What about all your other red icons on other characters for alternates?! D: Surely Ness, Bowser Jr., & Captain Olimar can't be your only predictions?:c
I'm confident in Dixie's inclusion over K. Rool myself, & I'm neutral on either of them as DK's newcomer, but all aside Dixie's data was found in Brawl & Sakurai does like to keep those details in mind. He does like to take back & reflect on past characters he didn't include from Smash. This is one of the several reasons I find DIxie more likely than K. Rool. My personal tastes of characteristics prefers K. Rool because green & reptile, but Dixie is a fine addition & I would like to see it happen.

Ridley I have no comment on. It's such a big subject no pun intended, that I can't give any good or bad opinion on it except saying that his addition this time around would be great to see happen. I don';t see him happening but i like being wrong, so we'll see.

I have no issues with Wolf, the reason he was not included in Melee was absurd & ludicrous imo. Seeing him in Brawl at first didn't appeal to me at first because I was caught up with the other Brawl newcomers. But playing him like I'm treating him as a secondary gave me some appreciation & love to see him again in Sm4sh. I see him as a in-between decision atm. I'm fairly confident he may return along with the less-likely but reasonable Krystal.

Mewtwo is. A depressing scenario. We know everything about Mewtwo & why he's very fitting to be in Smash, yet only one thing about Mewtwo was mentioned about Mewtwo at all involving Sakurai replying to a message of whether MegaMewtwoY will be in Smash Brothers, with "We're thinkinga bout it *Laughs*", including the speculation behind his addition to Sm4sh this time around. Masterball as a new item you'd think if they wanted to de-confirm Mewtwo he'd be announced by now. The Greninja tease, with speculation behind that about the silhouette, is something else mysterious. He's very likely, but disappointments by the leak have shown to have disappointments & exciting hype. I'm mixed on it, so really Mewtwo is mixed for me as well.

Ice Climbers & Chorus Men share the same opinion. Frankly with everything that's been said, I used to not see them both as likely, however all that petty speculation about hardware limitations could very well be fixed & there's really no issues. Yet with series mandatory by character additions to the roster, we don't necesarily have to have IC's & Chorus Men in the game. Smash Run enemies can exist in Smash without a character to show for their series. So i'm neutral on them as well, I don't know what to truly believe about them anymore. More power to them if they're confirmed, but when they're dis-confirmed, it won't bother me.

So, my rating of your new roster including everyone on it with the Mii FIghters:
:4falcon::4falcon::4falcon::4falcon::4falcon::4falcon::4falcon::4falcon::4falcon: out of 10 HYESZ!

Roy costume, dem feels ;_;
It felt painfully obvious that Roy wouldn't come back. Even so, my fan reaction: NOOOOOOOooooooooooooo! ;_;
My understanding reaction: Nice Roy got some cameo appearance via palette.:)

EDIT: HOLY HOTNESS. If that image showing Marth's F-Smash of the trailing blue arch is his hit-box of Tipper, then holy yes at that hit-box behind Marth's back. Reverse coverage!:shades:

Last edited:

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Game just needs to come out already. The character speculation train has crashed and burned, and I just want to hurry up and get my inevitable disappointments over with.

Last edited:

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Game just needs to come out already. The character speculation train has crashed and burned, and I just want to hurry up and get my inevitable disappointments over with.
Been ready for a couple of weeks now. All I want is one kid to tell me that the roster we have is it or that it's missing Chibi-Robo.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Surprised you didn't mention that it didn't explode decimating our hopes & dreams in the process, yet. I sympathize with you on this, & want to be spoiled of the roster's finale. Who knows, uneggspected treasures may come out of the disappointment. Or the more very likely scenario, is that it's on its way, slowly & painfully.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Have fun being disappointed. I'll be over here, enjoying my new game, and my new characters that are awesome, with a few changes I like. :4shulk::rosalina::4robinm::4robinf::4greninja::4megaman::4pacman::4bowser::4pit::4lucina::substitute::4villager:

Last edited by a moderator:

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Surprised you didn't mention that it didn't explode decimating our hopes & dreams in the process, yet. I sympathize with you on this, & want to be spoiled of the roster's finale. Who knows, uneggspected treasures may come out of the disappointment. Or the more very likely scenario, is that it's on its way, slowly & painfully.
Was thinking about wording it that way, but seemed too melodramatic. Now allow me to be melodramatic anyway and say that hope has sprung eternal, and despite my sensible side telling me its a bad idea, I still think that at the very least Mewtwo has a decent shot.

Have fun being disappointed. I'll be over here, enjoying my new game, and my new characters that are awesome, with a few changes I like. :4shulk::rosalina::4robinm::4robinf::4greninja::4megaman::4pacman::4bowser::4pit::4lucina::substitute::4villager:
I'll enjoy the game to be sure. But personally, I prefer the air I'm rather underwhelmed by the newcomers so far. Mega Man, Bowser Jr. and Little Mac are great, and Villager deserved his spot, but besides those, I really couldn't care less about any of them. Whether it be personal dislike or a questionable choice, my opinion on the rest can be summed up by looking at my avatar.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
I'm seeing A LOT more pink in character palettes. Nintendo & Sakurai are finally realizing that Pink is actually a manly color for us male players.:shades:
This hot mess can vouch for what convinced them.:4falcon:
OH and I'm seeing returning palettes from past Smash Brothers like 64<3

Last edited:

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
After looking at the (presumably) starting roster at the end of those scans, I'm now fairly sure the leaked one is all we're getting. Jr, Dr. Mario, Wario, Ganondorf, Ness, Dark Pit, Falco, Jigglypuff, and the Duck Hunt Dog seem like a pretty fair amount of unlockables.

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
OMG

I notice so many buffs already!
WHAT IF, that Dash Attack of his, can meteor smashe more easily now along with his D-air spike?
Link you're quite the Spike-swordsman.:4link::shades:

?????????????

Smash Master
After looking at the (presumably) starting roster at the end of those scans, I'm now fairly sure the leaked one is all we're getting. Jr, Dr. Mario, Wario, Ganondorf, Ness, Dark Pit, Falco, Jigglypuff, and the Duck Hunt Dog seem like a pretty fair amount of unlockables.
Really? I could very well be wrong, but that seems on the low side to me.

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord

anna, and tiki CONFIRMED as color swaps. I am ok with this
omg i jinxed it, when i said that the reason she is secret is because her final smash was the same, it was a joke, i didnt want that to happen... DONT ACTUALLY FOLLOW WHAT I SAY SAKURAI!

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace

Oh look, Pit has a Dark Pit-esque palette~:shades:
Arbitrary reply: DARK PIT DE-CONFIRMED

EDIT: Love the pink. Ya love Angel you.
EDIT#2: I think Ike's 8th palette is Chrom?

Last edited:

?????????????

Smash Master
Nine characters doesn't seem that low to me. Though only two of them being unique newcomers is what seems off to me.
Comparatively, Brawl had 14, I think, and that was with a smaller roster. That might mean absolutely nothing, but it's true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom