• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

T-Hell

Smash Lord
2 winning victory animations minimun per character confirmed guys, in the recent japanese demo Villager has another one where he digs a fossil.
I can confirm that as of now 3 victories per character are confirmed.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
if the roster is final from that leak, for me it feels lacking, mainly because of how many starters and concluding to how less unlockables there are.
It feels lackluster to me due to the cuts. 7 unique character cuts. 15 unique movesets so do a little subtraction and we only gained 8 characters. 6 of these are avatars. 2 are 3rd party.

Last edited:

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
It feels lackluster to me due to the cuts. 7 unique character cuts. 15 unique movesets so do a little subtraction and we only gained 8 characters. 6 of these are avatars. 2 are 3rd party.
The roster already felt sub-standard without Snake, but now that you mention all these other cuts, I guess it does look kinda bad... Welp, looks like I'm waiting for the Wii U version.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
I just love how people are still trying to say the roster is final, even though Neo Zero confirmed it isn't.
Very shallow, imo. Considering how honest and dependable he has been over the years.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
6 of these are avatars.
Why does this matter again? Wii Fit Trainer, Robin, and Villager are all capable and unique characters. Villager was long overdue, Robin brings along a highly unique and fun playstyle, and Wii Fit Trainer hardly counts as an "avatar." You don't play as the Trainer in Wii Fit.

I'll hold my tongue on the Miis.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Why does this matter again? Wii Fit Trainer, Robin, and Villager are all capable and unique characters. Villager was long overdue, Robin bring along a highly unique and fun playstyle, and Wii Fit Trainer hardly counts as an "avatar." You don't play as the Trainer in Wii Fit.

I'll hold my tongue on the Miis.
It's because they are hardly a character at all, that's why I think it matters.

The roster already felt sub-standard without Snake, but now that you mention all these other cuts, I guess it does look kinda bad... Welp, looks like I'm waiting for the Wii U version.
Hopefully half the cuts are in as unlockables and the rest will be dlc. I'd also like some popular characters to make it in and for some other franchises to get some love in general.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I just love how people are still trying to say the roster is final, even though Neo Zero confirmed it isn't.
Very shallow, imo. Considering how honest and dependable he has been over the years.
He didn't confirm it for certain, he did say that his source says that there are more, but as with any other rumor, he also warned that it should be treated with caution as he could still be lying.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me

Hopefully half the cuts are in as unlockables and the rest will be dlc. I'd also like some popular characters to make it in and for some other franchises to get some love in general.
By avatar, you mean "have been playable outside of smash?"

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
That's really stretching it. If you lump the Miis together, that's a total of four. To add to that,

-Robin's a create-a-character only as far as the gender, name and appearance, and even then, you can choose Link's name as well. Robin is DEFINITELY more of a "character" than an "avatar" in this regard. He or she has a prewritten story that can't be player controlled.
-Miis and the Villager are highly iconic to Nintendo in general. Is it really bad that we got the Villager? It was more shocking that he wasn't in Brawl.
-Wii Fit Trainer I can't really say is a "true iconic character," but it's a fun moveset nonetheless, and it's not a create-a-character like the others you have an issue with, so I don't see the problem with her.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Seems like looking for arbitrary distinctions in attempt to devalue the roster. Somehow Robin and Villager are inferior even though at one point or another they were both pretty highly requested... and like Opossum said, WFT isn't an avatar.

And yeah, 2 are third party... but those are also the two biggest names this time around as newcomers go, and are both pretty popular characters with quite a lot of demand (especially Mega Man), who frankly make more sense in a Nintendo crossover than Snake did.

It is shallow.

That's also your opinion though, clearly avatars are characters, even if you can customize them. They still play a clear and unique role in the game they hail from, making them variable in appearance and name doesn't change that. By that logic Ness isn't really a character either, since you can change his name.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
What are your impressions of the current roster?
In terms of the confirmed characters, I'm okay about that. As for what's been leaked, there are a few things that I don't agree with, such as with Dr. Mario. For all we know, someone simply could've just manipulated Mario's Mario Party DS artwork to make him look like Dr. Mario.

[collapse=Mario Party DS Artwork of Mario]
[/collapse]

Anyway, I don't think that the likes of Mewtwo, Wolf, and the Ice Climbers should be ruled out yet.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
This is by far my favorite roster so far.
I think I've expressed it several times.
No other roster has ever included so many personal favorites of mine.

And to be honest, I don't particularly care about Fire Emblem, but they managed to include my ONLY suggestion from said franchise (Robin). Because I had it up to here with lords, I already wanted the 2nd most important part of the F.E. mythos to be represented... The tactician.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Seems like looking for arbitrary distinctions in attempt to devalue the roster. Somehow Robin and Villager are inferior even though at one point or another they were both pretty highly requested... and like Opossum said, WFT isn't an avatar.

And yeah, 2 are third party... but those are also the two biggest names this time around as newcomers go, and are both pretty popular characters with quite a lot of demand (especially Mega Man), who frankly make more sense in a Nintendo crossover than Snake did.

It is shallow.

That's also your opinion though, clearly avatars are characters, even if you can customize them. They still play a clear and unique role in the game they hail from, making them variable in appearance in name doesn't change that. By that logic Ness isn't really a character either, since you can change his name.
The only people I thought deserved to be in who are would be Megaman, little Mac, villager (becuz ac needed a rep shoulda been nook tho), jr, DHD, palutena, pacman, mii fighters, and maybe Wii fit trainer (based upon its casual popularity.)

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I care about Nintendo characters and I want their franchises properly reposed many popular franchises are being shafted and there are a ton of cuts.
There's one more cut than the transition from Melee to Brawl.

Do cuts suck? Yes. Especially the Ice Climbers, which still stings for me. But fact of the matter is, they all ARE with the exception of Mega Man and Pac-Man Nintendo characters. Whether or not they're customizable doesn't change that.

Last edited:

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
In terms of the confirmed characters, I'm okay about that. As for what's been leaked, there are a few things that I don't agree with, such as with Dr. Mario. For all we know, someone simply could've just manipulated Mario's Mario Party DS artwork to make him look like Dr. Mario.

[/collapse]

Anyway, I don't think that the likes of Mewtwo, Wolf, and the Ice Climbers should be ruled out yet.
OMG. Wow, the resemblance is simply too much.

I'm not doubting the CSS leak, though. It just shatters the illusion that the character renders will always be original, because they are exactly the same...

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Kind of a damning statement, that, isn't it?

By what benchmark do you judge what "is" and "isn't" a character? Sure, they may not have canon names and identities, but so what if they don't? I legitimately can't conceive of that as a cogent argument to their detriment; if anything, I think it only reinforces the notion that they're vast in potential and practically endless in possibilities. You're not just playing Mr. Hero, you're playing yourself. I can't even begin to tell you how satisfying I find it to look at my Avatar in Awakening and think, "Yep, that's me!" I should also add that they're not technically avatars for the most part: they do have their own characters inherent to Smash 4 - Robin goes by his/her default name and appearance and bears the personality as displayed in the game itself; the Villager represents the fun, festival atmosphere of Animal Crossing and is seldom seen with his/her trademark smile and jolly, happy-go-lucky mannerisms; Wii Fit Trainer, as @ Opossum Opossum already pointed out, is not actually the playable character in her respective game, but rather your eminent and tireless guide (not to mention she pretty much represents the Wii itself); the Miis are literally anybody you want them to be - they are you.

If they don't have personalities, then that's not a fault on Sakurai's part: it's quite honestly just because you aren't giving them enough credit. To dismiss them as simply "non-characters" because they don't have canon names and identities seems like a redundant argument to me, because you're really not looking into them enough and respecting them for what they are. They are not your average characters because it actually requires you, the player, to put the time and effort into making them who you want them to be. You are tasked with creating the character as you see fit, and if you can't muster the patience and creativity to do that, then I hardly think it's fair to criticise the characters' designers for not holding your hand or Sakurai for daring to try something different.

And that's actually what I love the most about this roster. I'm preparing myself for a furore to be unleashed here, but I'll accept whatever criticisms may come my way:

It offers something different.

Yes, it's odd to see such classics as the Ice Climbers go; yes, I will miss two of my Brawl mains in the form of Wolf and Lucas. But that's just it - if I wanted to play them, I'd play Brawl. It's not a justification for them not being in the game, but that's a wholly separate set of issues that I shan't tackle right now. It's just my perspective, and from my perspective, it's something that I view as a necessary evil. If Smash is a game about variety and appreciation of Nintendo's vast and wonderful history, then why shouldn't it have a lot of new and exciting features to it? New characters are natural. Sure, it stings and hurts to see your old favourites retiring, but I would also argue it's rather self-centered to only focus on them because you love them and outright reject the new characters just because they're not to your liking. If every game had the exact same roster, we'd just be playing Ultra Smash Bros. 4 Turbo Arcade Edition Plus X - it would be stagnating for the series and utterly detrimental to the variety and the wondrousness that we've seen thus far.

I'm not saying you're wrong to feel as you do, and I hope you don't take this as me targeting you specifrically, but I'd really and truly suggest that we all just find something that we like and appreciate what we have. It's better in the long run to just enjoy the game for what it is and it'll save you a lot of stress and wrath in future.

That being said, I'm eagerly awaiting the final roster's imminent announcement. Let's hope that, if and when we get DLC in the game, we'll get even more neat surprises (and maybe even some returning favourites, too)! ^_^

EDIT: Almighty :4greninja: work here, good folks! xD

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
OMG. Wow, the resemblance is simply too much.

I'm not doubting the CSS leak, though. It just shatters the illusion that the character renders will always be original, because they are exactly the same...
I would think that all Smash 4 artworks would be original, instead of just reusing old artworks.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The only people I thought deserved to be in who are would be Megaman, little Mac, villager (becuz ac needed a rep shoulda been nook tho), jr, DHD, palutena, pacman, mii fighters, and maybe Wii fit trainer (based upon its casual popularity.)
Ok, but your list, just like any of ours, can't be anything but subjective.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine

[/collapse]
I was pretty surprised at how similar Dr. Mario's stance was to that render. It was almost comical. It's like the only thing they did besides change his clothing was make him frown.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Kind of a damning statement, that, isn't it?

By what benchmark do you judge what "is" and "isn't" a character? Sure, they may not have canon names and identities, but so what if they don't? I legitimately can't conceive of that as a cogent argument to their detriment; if anything, I think it only reinforces the notion that they're vast in potential and practically endless in possibilities. You're not just playing Mr. Hero, you're playing yourself. I can't even begin to tell you how satisfying I find it to look at my Avatar in Awakening and think, "Yep, that's me!" I should also add that they're not technically avatars for the most part: they do have their own characters inherent to Smash 4 - Robin goes by his/her default name and appearance and bears the personality as displayed in the game itself; the Villager represents the fun, festival atmosphere of Animal Crossing and is seldom seen with his/her trademark smile and jolly, happy-go-lucky mannerisms; Wii Fit Trainer, as @ Opossum Opossum already pointed out, is not actually the playable character in her respective game, but rather your eminent and tireless guide (not to mention she pretty much represents the Wii itself); the Miis are literally anybody you want them to be - they are you.

If they don't have personalities, then that's not a fault on Sakurai's part: it's quite honestly just because you aren't giving them enough credit. To dismiss them as simply "non-characters" because they don't have canon names and identities seems like a redundant argument to me, because you're really not looking into them enough and respecting them for what they are. They are not your average characters because it actually requires you, the player, to put the time and effort into making them who you want them to be. You are tasked with creating the character as you see fit, and if you can't muster the patience and creativity to do that, then I hardly think it's fair to criticise the characters' designers for not holding your hand or Sakurai for daring to try something different.

And that's actually what I love the most about this roster. I'm preparing myself for a furore to be unleashed here, but I'll accept whatever criticisms may come my way:

It offers something different.

Yes, it's odd to see such classics as the Ice Climbers go; yes, I will miss two of my Brawl mains in the form of Wolf and Lucas. But that's just it - if I wanted to play them, I'd play Brawl. It's not a justification for them not being in the game, but that's a wholly separate set of issues that I shan't tackle right now. It's just my perspective, and from my perspective, it's something that I view as a necessary evil. If Smash is a game about variety and appreciation of Nintendo's vast and wonderful history, then why shouldn't it have a lot of new and exciting features to it? New characters are natural. Sure, it stings and hurts to see your old favourites retiring, but I would also argue it's rather self-centered to only focus on them because you love them and outright reject the new characters just because they're not to your liking. If every game had the exact same roster, we'd just be playing Ultra Smash Bros. 4 Turbo Arcade Edition Plus X - it would be stagnating for the series and utterly detrimental to the variety and the wondrousness that we've seen thus far.

I'm not saying you're wrong to feel as you do, and I hope you don't take this as me targeting you specifrically, but I'd really and truly suggest that we all just find something that we like and appreciate what we have. It's better in the long run to just enjoy the game for what it is and it'll save you a lot of stress and wrath in future.

That being said, I'm eagerly awaiting the final roster's imminent announcement. Let's hope that, if and when we get DLC in the game, we'll get even more neat surprises (and maybe even some returning favourites, too)! ^_^

EDIT: Almighty :4greninja: work here, good folks! xD
I agree with some of the avatars being in (mii fighters for history), villager for an ac rep, Wii fit trainer for the sales I guess. It still doesn't make them not uninteresting to me because they don't have personalities like impa, Ridley, Dixie, wolf, etc.

Point is avatar characters are boring from a character standpoint.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Robin has been in one game and is an avatar he doesn't represent much of FE to me. Villager I guess I'll give ya but he still is an avatar meant to represent you (nook is much better :) )
Does the one game thing really matter? Why does it matter for Robin, but not Greninja? And no, you can't say X and Y count as two games. :p

And he is actually extremely representative of Fire Emblem, considering he's all about the strategy aspect, uses magic and multiple weapons, and the weapons have durability.

I agree with some of the avatars being in (mii fighters for history), villager for an ac rep, Wii fit trainer for the sales I guess. It still doesn't make them not uninteresting to me because they don't have personalities like impa, Ridley, Dixie, wolf, etc.

Robin has a set personality, though.

Last edited:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301

Please, please, please, please don't take a subjective opinion and phrase it like an objective fact.

I know that wasn't your intention, but it really gives the wrong impression and reads poorly.

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
One thing I don't like about our newcomers is that the majority of them use a similar Ike/Link final smash, and the majority of them require assistance:

Villager - The Nooks - has a Ike/Link final smash.

Mega Man - The other Mega Mans.

Robin - Chrom - Has a Ike/Link final smash.

Shulk - Dunban and Riki - Has a Ike/Link final smash.

Palutena - Has a Ike/Link final smash

Greninja - Has a Ike/Link final smash

see what I mean.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
One thing I don't like about our newcomers is that the majority of them use a similar Ike/Link final smash, and the majority of them require assistance:

see what I mean.
True, but there's only so much variety you can have with Final Smashes without making them gimmicky for the sake of being gimmicky.

Also I think the external aid allows lesser-known and under-represented characters have their time to shine.

Buzz Spendus

Smash Apprentice
You can turn items off in the demo; you need to activate しゅうてん (terminous) which is FD mode by pressing X on the stage select screen.

This demo just got infinitely more enjoyable.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Shame about the 5 minute time limit though. I don't see the harm in giving players the option for a stock match.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
The demo looks pretty good from what I have seen. Lets hope theres one for other regions coming soon (I expect an announcement on the 12th)

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

see what I mean.
I think both of these aren't necessarily bad things.
Also, Mega Man, Shulk, and Palutena don't have Final Smashes similar to Ike/Link at all.

Mega Man's is cinematic like Captain Falcon, as is Shulk's, and Palutena's is mostly similar to Samus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom