• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Anyone catching streams of the demo? Holy ****. Villager confirmed God status. As I suspected.
i know his recover is broken, his Fair and Bair are rediculous and his neutral A is a spammy attack
I just saw him comfortably fly under battlefield and pocket Rush. Projectiles that are stolen are at least twice as powerful. Pocketed Mega Man charge shot KO'd at 30% in middle of stage. Villager is disgusting. Maybe it's a good thing Isabelle isn't playable. :troll:
It's great to hear that my main has a chance to be a top tier threat! I didn't get to see much of Villager. . . All I saw was Megaman and Link. The two who I'm least excited about in the demo lol

MagnesD3

Smash Master
After watching this demo being played (the game looks amazing) its really disheartening to know that your favorite characters might be missing out on this awesome new engine :urg:

With wolf in I can be happy

With wolf and mewtwo in I can feel great

With wolf, mewtwo and ridley in I can feel good the rest of my life.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Avec plus de 40 personnages = With more than 40 characters.

I'm more or less enthusiastic about this quote.

Last edited by a moderator:

The_Intruder

Smash Apprentice
It's pretty clear at this point that the leaked roster is indeed the final one.
Not really, in each smash bros the numbers of unlockable have always increased given the ever increasing roster size.

SSB- 4
SSBM- 11
SSBB- 14
SSB4- 12?

So SSB4 will have less unlockable than brawl? this doesn't make sense...

Last edited:

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
Gonna copy this from another thread:

This is incomplete. There is no way they would leave a giant blank space in the bottom right corner, they would move the row over, similar to the melee roster. The guy didn't have everything unlocked. This, in addition to the fact that it was leaked ESRB footage, which means the guy wouldn't have been able to choose to unlock everything, as he didn't have the actual game, and the fact that All Star Mode was locked in the leak that we were given, leads me to believe we will almost definitely have more characters.

?????????????

Smash Master
That doesn't make sense to me. Why would the leaker show the presented roster, then go out of his way to also show All-Star mode was incomplete? If I were a leaker, I would do my best to show everything off, not try to trick people into thinking there's more.

There's no logical reason to imply not every character was unlocked when you're leaking purely for the glory of it, which is why I conclude it's very likely we have not seen the whole roster.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Not sure of this constitutes the characters thread but the demo essentially confirms unlockable stages; every stage revealed so far - officially revealed mind you - plus Pictochat 2 is shown on the demo's stage select screen. EXCEPT Pac-Maze. Does this confirm that you have to play Pac-Man (X number of times) to get it? Could Wii Fit get the same treatment?

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Not sure of this constitutes the characters thread but the demo essentially confirms unlockable stages; every stage revealed so far - officially revealed mind you - plus Pictochat 2 is shown on the demo's stage select screen. EXCEPT Pac-Maze. Does this confirm that you have to play Pac-Man (X number of times) to get it? Could Wii Fit get the same treatment?
So basically like a reverse Snake?
Now that I point that out, that's sort of funny, how Snake was unlocked. You have to find him on Shadow Moses Island.
Would be cool if something similar happened in this game.

Last edited:

Niala

Smash Ace
Probably because of how imbalanced their grab game is?
There's a video somewhere of the demo, they added a wait time between grabs. I assumed that was directly intended for the Ice Climbers. Basically, a character can't grab a character he's just thrown for about a second. The video shows Mario down throwing another character (can't remember which) and then going through his grab animation on top of them two or three times before actually landing another grab.

Can't say I'm a huge fan of the change, but anything to stop the Ice Climbers from being notoriously frustrating, I suppose.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
Not really, in each smash bros the numbers of unlockable have always increased given the ever increasing roster size.

SSB- 4
SSBM- 11
SSBB- 14
SSB4- 12?

So SSB4 will have less unlockable than brawl? this doesn't make sense...
It makes perfect sense you consider that the 3rd parties and traditional unlocks like Falcon and Luigi are starters this time around.
Also, a Nintendo rep was shown that roster and basically said that there was more.
Source? Also, I wouldn't put much stock in the words of a random rep.
That doesn't make sense to me. Why would the leaker show the presented roster, then go out of his way to also show All-Star mode was incomplete? If I were a leaker, I would do my best to show everything off, not try to trick people into thinking there's more.

There's no logical reason to imply not every character was unlocked when you're leaking purely for the glory of it, which is why I conclude it's very likely we have not seen the whole roster.
The leak was from an ESRB video, and that's all the leaker had to go by.

If there were any more characters, they would've been leaked by now.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
So basically like a reverse Snake?
Now that I point that out, that's sort of funny, how Snake was unlocked. You have to find him on Shadow Moses Island.
Would be cool if something similar happened in this game.
If we assume that the demo's roster (including the unplayable fighters) is the starting one, then Pac-Man is indeed starter, which would make this, as you put it, a reverse Snake situation. Odd but I like it. Which also means that we could potentially get more stages (perhaps even move into a second page?) - RH, Ice Climber, and possible others? A second Kirby stage perhaps?

I also neglected to mention the Game Boy stage is also not present.

Niala

Smash Ace
It makes perfect sense you consider that the 3rd parties and traditional unlocks like Falcon and Luigi are starters this time around.
Source? Also, I wouldn't put much stock in the words of a random rep.
The leak was from an ESRB video, and that's all the leaker had to go by.

If there were any more characters, they would've been leaked by now.
Doesn't one of the mods on Smashboards also have information on an unannounced character? I might be wrong about that.

?????????????

Smash Master
Doesn't one of the mods on Smashboards also have information on an unannounced character? I might be wrong about that.
Well........by my understanding, at the very least, we have good reason to believe we have not seen the whole roster. It is certainly not "pretty clear" that we've seen everything we're getting. It's still murky.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
That can't be said with certainty. It's a good point, and a conclusion that makes sense. But we still simply don't know if we've seen the whole roster.
Not with 100% certainty, but people should definitely be prepared for that outcome. Hyping up the "final five" will probably just lead to more disappointment.

Niala

Smash Ace
Well........by my understanding, at the very least, we have good reason to believe we have not seen the whole roster. It is certainly not "pretty clear" that we've seen everything we're getting. It's still murky.
That's my understanding as well. I just have a feeling we have more characters coming.

Not with 100% certainty, but people should definitely be prepared for that outcome. Hyping up the "final five" will probably just lead to more disappointment.
However, I do also agree with this. Exercising a little caution hurts no one.

?????????????

Smash Master
Of course people should be prepared, but that doesn't mean they can't be optimistic (not trying to imply you were being pessimistic).

There's no real right or wrong stance here. You either accept what we've been presented with, or hope for more. Ideally both, in my mind. Accepting what we get lets you enjoy the game. Hoping for more helps perpetuate the creation of the next game.

Last edited:

Maxilian

Smash Ace

Plus de 40 personnages = More that 40 characters.

I'm more or less enthusiastic about this quote.
Actually i don't think these's good, i mean... i'm pretty sure that means we don't have 50+ character so our character roster more likely have 40 > 50 and having in mind that we already have 38 confirmed character and if you add some of the non-confirmed veterans that we know are comming then...

- Ganondorf
- Wario
- Ness
- Mr. G&W
- R.O.B
- Jigglypuff
- Falco

Now we have 45 and with the leaked newcomers:

- Bowser Jr.
- Dark Pit
- Dr. Mario
- Hunt Dog

there we have 49 characters :drsad:

?????????????

Smash Master
Actually i don't think these's good, i mean... i'm pretty sure that means we don't have 50+ character so our character roster more likely have 40 > 50 and having in mind that we already have 38 confirmed character and if you add some of the non-confirmed veterans that we know are comming then...

- Ganondorf
- Wario
- Ness
- Mr. G&W
- R.O.B
- Jigglypuff
- Falco

Now we have 45 and with the leaked newcomers:

- Bowser Jr.
- Dark Pit
- Dr. Mario
- Hunt Dog

there we have 49 characters :drsad:
For the sake of clarification, is that 49 including the Mii Fighters?

Dust319

Smash Apprentice
Based on recent evidence and row 5 being incomplete in the leak, there's likely only one character left, and probably one from a miscellaneous franchise not represented yet[/quote]

Last edited:

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
Of course people should be prepared, but that doesn't mean they can't be optimistic (not trying to imply you were being pessimistic).

There's no real right or wrong stance here. You either accept what we've been presented with, or hope for more. Ideally both, in my mind. Accepting what we get lets you enjoy the game. Hoping for more helps perpetuate the creation of the next game.
Obviously I hope for more. I just don't expect any.
No more characters?
Unless they have DLC planned, I can't see them omitting Mewtwo.
If they did it once, then can do it again.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Counting the Mii Fighters as 3, we are pretty much guaranteed at least one more, I'm banking on 3 - Mewtwo, Ice Climbers, and one other (CHORUS KIDS MAYBE? :squee: )

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
He also wasn't an advertising monster when the roster was decided. And he's not really an advertising monster now, either. Only back in 2013.
No, but Sakurai has stated quite thoroughly that he is given a good amount of foresight into what the Pokemon company is going to do. That he "woks with them quite extensively to know what is going to go on with the anime, the games, what Game Freak wants to push."
So unless your argument is that game freak did not know what they were going to do with Mewtwo in the games and movies when the roster was decided, I think that argument is moot.

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
if the roster is final from that leak, for me it feels lacking, mainly because of how many starters and concluding to how less unlockables there are.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Counting the Mii Fighters as 3, we are pretty much guaranteed at least one more, I'm banking on 3 - Mewtwo, Ice Climbers, and one other (CHORUS KIDS MAYBE? :squee: )
I'm getting more convinced the Mii fighters either count as 3, or that they count as 0. I am leaning towards them counting as 0, with the idea that Sakurai thinks of them as a tool- a create a fighter, but that the public simply considers them three characters.
http://www.gamnesia.com/news/sakurai-explains-why-he-added-mii-fighters-to-smash-bros#.VBByjRY7YSM
Notice how the writer of the piece says 'three characters,' but Sakurai himself just calls them a tool?

I am aware that in the past he said the Mii Fighters took the work of three characters, but I'm not sure that means exactly what we think it does. If 6 clones take the work of one original fighter, it does not mean that the one original fighter is 6 characters, nor that the clone is 1/6 of a character. To me, Sakurai views the Mii Fgihters as a create a character.

?????????????

Smash Master
Mii Fighters don't have a default moveset; it must be customized. My guess is that, if they count as anything, they count as one space in the actual, physical roster where you select your created Mii. That's how it works in most Namco fighting games, anyway.

Maxilian

Smash Ace
Mii Fighters don't have a default moveset; it must be customized. My guess is that, if they count as anything, they count as one space in the actual, physical roster where you select your created Mii. That's how it works in most Namco fighting games, anyway.
Well as far as i know they only take 1 slot but Sakurai have them as 3 different character (3 characters in 1 slot)

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
People expecting more reminds me of the days of Brawl speculation, where people were presented with the 39 characters and there was a group reaching our for more in hopes of Ridley and Krystal and whatnot.

This sounds like history repeating itself.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I think we might get a few more (between one and four AT MOST), but I'm prepared in case this one's final. No disappointment that way. :p

?????????????

Smash Master
Well, I'm certainly not holding my breath on anything. I've been prepared since Little Mac was announced playable :roll:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Yep, I recall many people thought that the leak roster for Brawl wasn't real due to the size of the roster and the lack of certain characters. It was simply too much for people to believe and I doubt if this is any different.

The main thing that makes me think there might be at least a few more is the lack of the Mii Fighters and the layout on the 3DS version seeming kind of strange.

But I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom