• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Found this pic on another forum and the artwork/sprite for Ridley doesn't look familiar to me at all. It could very well still be fake but I won't give up hope. ^^
Confirmed fake days ago.

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
Found this pic on another forum and the artwork/sprite for Ridley doesn't look familiar to me at all. It could very well still be fake but I won't give up hope. ^^
It doesn't even match the artwork of Sm4sh, it looks like it was ripped from a magazine :facepalm:

Cpt.

Smash Lord
No, not every playable character has an enemy to go with them, at least as far as we know. For example, there's no Punch-Out, Animal Crossing, or Wii Fit enemy.

Also, assuming that the Ice Climbers are cut, then that means that series can get enemies without playable characters; the Polar Bears return despite the absence of the Ice Climbers.

So, no, Chorus Kids are not almost certainly playable.
There could just be one climber. Or it could be Sakurai offering his remembrances.

Pit93

Smash Apprentice
Ok, well thx for the info. I wasn't sure about the pic but if it's a confirmed fake then ok.

Still hoping for Ridley and Mewtwo. With those two confirmed I'd be almost perfectly happy with the roster. :D

Cpt.

Smash Lord
You really believe that by mere luck, Gematsu got most of the newcomers right?
Gematsu is 7.5/9 and Sneaky Shadow is in Smash Run. Plus it is very probable that Chrom was a character (much like Dixie and Mewtwo were in Brawl), but they ended up making him something else.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
@ DustyPumpkin DustyPumpkin Before I didn't realize that you could get Rhythm Heaven music without the SFX. So I was inspired to check some of it out, and...

WOW. Rhythm Heaven music is RAD.
I wish Chorus Kids were revealed already so I could've heard this in a trailer:
Or this:

Wow, that settles it. I full on support Chorus Kids now.
@Louie G...come back to us...:urg:
The sad thing is the 3DS smash is will only getting 2 Songs per stage
And I thought that was bad enough with the all the good Sonic Music, but only two RH songs!?
That's a toughie...

Last edited:

cothero

Smash Lord
No, not every playable character has an enemy to go with them, at least as far as we know. For example, there's no Punch-Out, Animal Crossing, or Wii Fit enemy.

Also, assuming that the Ice Climbers are cut, then that means that series can get enemies without playable characters; the Polar Bears return despite the absence of the Ice Climbers.

So, no, Chorus Kids are not almost certainly playable.
Yes, not every character has an enemy in Smash Run, but Sneaky Spirits are there, a highly unlikely enemy in the midst of some more recognizable ones. Think about it. We still don't know for sure if the Ice Climbers are cut.

Last edited:

PlTe

Smash Journeyman
Yes, not every character has an enemy in Smash Run, but Sneaky Spirits are there, a highly unlikely enemy in the midst of some more recognizable ones. Think about it.
I would say Chorus Kids are not likely, but Marshall could be in. He's the mascot of Rhythm Heaven, and one > three for 3DS.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
You really believe that by mere luck, Gematsu got most of the newcomers right?
Yes. Because so did I.

I always thought an Animal Crossing rep was guaranteed.
I've wanted Mega Man since the Archie cross-over with Sonic.
I've wanted Rosalina since the Brawl days, and got more inclined to believe she was actually gonna show up when she was announced for 3D World.
I thought Little Mac was long overdue.
I thought a Pokémon from X & Y was also a guaranteed case.
I thought Palutena was the most likely newcomer.
I thought Mii Fighters had precedence.
I had Pac-Man on the mind.
I thought Robin, Lucina, and Chrom were all equally likely to show up.
I considered Shulk quite likely after I discovered the history of Operation Rainfall.

Out of all of the announced newcomers, I only didn't think of Wii Fit Trainer.

The Gematsu leak matches up so well with speculation lists of everyone, or any fake leak, it isn't even funny.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Not at all.
There's more than one version of Ridley. The only version of Ridley even hinted at having a presence in either version of the game is Clone Ridley from Other M, on the Pyrosphere. I think a Ridley derived from his Super Metroid design would be feasible as a playable character.
But what would differentiate these Ridleys? I mean, think for a minute.

Link and Toon Link have radically different art styles and body-types. They come from very different roles, one being the Hero of Twilight while the other is the Hero of the Winds. Although both very projectile based, their differences go beyond narrative: one is built with vertical survivability and long reach on the ground, while the other excels at aerial-based gameplay. Even without understanding why there are two Links in the first place or understanding any of the Zelda lore whatsoever, they're very distinct from one another. Link and Toon Link. Simple as can be. Also worth noting that Alfonzo takes over whenever Toon Link is on the Spirit Train.
Alfonzo: "Leave it to me!"

The Donkey Kong we play as and the Donkey Kong we avoid in 75m take this even further. They look nothing alike and exist as different entities altogether in both function and narrative. Without having to play the original Donkey Kong, one can look at the two and say "Oh, that one is 8-bit DK! The one over there is me!" It's extremely straightforward, even to the most casual of players. Donkey Kong and 75m Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong and Cranky Kong, or Donkey Kong and 8-bit Donkey Kong. All things that can distinguish them.

Then we get to Ridley. To those well-versed in Metroid lore, it wouldn't be hard at all to see the two different Ridleys as separate things. One's a boss, one's a character. One was in Super Metroid, one was in Other M. However, to anyone who has not played these games, there's quite a bit of loss to be had. First of all, beyond one being a character and one being a boss, what separates them? The appearances? If that's the case, what does one call these incarnations? Ridley and Pyrosphere Ridley? Super Metroid Ridley and Other M Ridley? Ridley and Boss Ridley? It's not hard to understand, but someone jumping into Smash Bros. and learning about Metroid for the first time would easily be confused as to what makes the Ridley on Pyrosphere that much different from the Ridley you play as, considering not only are they both large purple space dragons with long tails and 3D models, but they are in fact the same character.

Considering how Sakurai felt it was a necessary design choice to replace a version of Toon Link whenever he is seen on the Spirit Train despite the two looking different in appearance, I find it hard to imagine Sakurai wouldn't do the same lest Ridley get attacked by some sort of unplayable Ridley. I hear you thinking "Why not just have stage Ridley not appear at all when someone plays as Ridley?", and I'll answer that with another question: Why have Ridley as a stage boss in the first place if the function of the stage will be hindered by the appearance of one character? Unlike Conductor Link and Alfonzo, the replacement or lack of Ridley would not be purely aesthetic. It would require more accommodation to function and would take up more development time as a result. So if the solution to have playable Ridley is to remove the established Ridley beforehand, it completely contradicts the purpose of having the boss Ridley in the first place.

Additionally, all the characters in each series (with the distinct exception and actual gimmick of Toon Link) follow a set artstyle. All the other Zelda characters had their Twilight Princess designs. Olimar and Alph appear as they did in Pikmin 3. The Kirby characters follow a set rounded, lighter, more expressive bunch of designs reminiscent of the Kirby anime. Pit and Palutena take their appearances from Kid Icarus Uprising. And so on. It would be a more than reasonable assumption that Falco would have his Command/Brawl design like Fox does as well. If Samus and Zero Suit Samus are both based on their appearances from Other M, and then Ridley suddenly appears as he did in Super Metroid, that creates a sudden dissonance in design. It would only make sense for Ridley to be playable in his Other M incarnation to match with the Samuses. Based on that clip of Ridley, we know the shadow is that of Other M Ridley, however, so that eliminates the possibility of Other M Ridley being DLC. That leaves us with two scenarioes: The playable Ridley is Other M Ridley sited in the Smash Direct, or the 3rd Metroid character would be one of the only characters in the entire roster to not fit the artstyle of the rest of their series. With this being said, do you think it is legitimately realistic that Sakurai would former the latter based on what evidence we have thus far? I will not lie with you here. As much as I want Ridley to be playable and as much as I like Ridley's Brawl design more than Woody Woodpecker from Other M, that really seems like a stretch to think Sakurai would specifically go against the aesthetic he had set up. Had Brawl Ridley been the one we saw in the Smash Direct with the possibility for Other M Ridley being DLC still existent, I'd be a lot more inclined to agree with you.

If you really read all of that, I appreciate it. If not, I'm going to stab you you little **** the tl;dr is that Other M Ridley being a stage boss while Brawl Ridley is playable has way too many discrepancies to seem plausible. Had any of the conditions been changed, such as no shown Ridley on Pyrosphere whatsoever, the Ridley on Pyrosphere being Brawl designed, or Samus appearing as she did in Brawl, it would seem possible to see the DLC scenario you're setting up as possible, but all of these "barriers" of sorts make it seem merely like a pipe-dream. Again, I came to this conclusion with logic despite being a Ridley supporter. I want to find every bit of evidence I can to seeing us get Ridley, but I will not remain blind to the facts that lie before us. Ridley is simply not fit to be a DLC character already knowing his existence in Smash 4. Same-identity characters do not exist as both playable and stage bosses. Characters of a given series will follow a similar aesthetic. Ridley was already shown in the game with his Other M design. He is either playable or not. There's no middle-ground with the facts set before us.

?????????????

Smash Master
Yes. Because so did I.

I've wanted Rosalina since the Brawl days, and got more inclined to believe she was actually gonna show up when she was announced for 3D World.
I considered Shulk quite likely after I discovered the history of Operation Rainfall.

The Gematsu leak matches up so well with speculation lists of everyone, or any fake leak, it isn't even funny.
Animal Crossing was surprising for most since Sakurai expressed disinterest in the past.
Yes, a lot of people wanted Mega Man.
Rosalina isn't even addressed in Gematsu, so I won't get into that.
I strongly agree with Little Mac, yet he was an Assist Trophy before.
I wasn't sure on Pokemon XY. I really thought they might just go with Mewtwo.
I thought Palutena was a maybe.
I thought Miis were a maybe, given previously made comments by Sakurai.
I thought Sakurai specifically said Namco wouldn't get a "priority 3rd party character," so I didn't think Pac-Man was guaranteed.
I thought a Fire Emblem newcomer was very likely.
I really hoped for Shulk.

But even Wii Fit Trainer by itself is enough to give the Gematsu leak notice. Top that with everything else that was right, and it would be much less likely for it to be fake than to be real. There's so much in there that was not obvious.

Additionally, what kind of person making a fake leak would even bother trying to convince people there would be a playable Rhythm Heaven character?

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I have to say, I don't like any of the songs that I've heard from Rhythm Heaven so far lol. I'm not really interested in the game or series, so seeing a character from Rhythm Heaven won't hype me at all.

Last edited:

Cpt.

Smash Lord
Yes. Because so did I.

So you think Wii Fit and Chorus Men are predictable? I agree that the second half was suspicious, but 6/6 and 3.5/5 aint bad so far.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
But what would differentiate these Ridleys? I mean, think for a minute.

Link and Toon Link have radically different art styles and body-types. They come from very different roles, one being the Hero of Twilight while the other is the Hero of the Winds. Although both very projectile based, their differences go beyond narrative: one is built with vertical survivability and long reach on the ground, while the other excels at aerial-based gameplay. Even without understanding why there are two Links in the first place or understanding any of the Zelda lore whatsoever, they're very distinct from one another. Link and Toon Link. Simple as can be. Also worth noting that Alfonzo takes over whenever Toon Link is on the Spirit Train.
Alfonzo: "Leave it to me!"

The Donkey Kong we play as and the Donkey Kong we avoid in 75m take this even further. They look nothing alike and exist as different entities altogether in both function and narrative. Without having to play the original Donkey Kong, one can look at the two and say "Oh, that one is 8-bit DK! The one over there is me!" It's extremely straightforward, even to the most casual of players. Donkey Kong and 75m Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong and Cranky Kong, or Donkey Kong and 8-bit Donkey Kong. All things that can distinguish them.

Then we get to Ridley. To those well-versed in Metroid lore, it wouldn't be hard at all to see the two different Ridleys as separate things. One's a boss, one's a character. One was in Super Metroid, one was in Other M. However, to anyone who has not played these games, there's quite a bit of loss to be had. First of all, beyond one being a character and one being a boss, what separates them? The appearances? If that's the case, what does one call these incarnations? Ridley and Pyrosphere Ridley? Super Metroid Ridley and Other M Ridley? Ridley and Boss Ridley? It's not hard to understand, but someone jumping into Smash Bros. and learning about Metroid for the first time would easily be confused as to what makes the Ridley on Pyrosphere that much different from the Ridley you play as, considering not only are they both large purple space dragons with long tails and 3D models, but they are in fact the same character.

Considering how Sakurai felt it was a necessary design choice to replace a version of Toon Link whenever he is seen on the Spirit Train despite the two looking different in appearance, I find it hard to imagine Sakurai wouldn't do the same lest Ridley get attacked by some sort of unplayable Ridley. I hear you thinking "Why not just have stage Ridley not appear at all when someone plays as Ridley?", and I'll answer that with another question: Why have Ridley as a stage boss in the first place if the function of the stage will be hindered by the appearance of one character? Unlike Conductor Link and Alfonzo, the replacement or lack of Ridley would not be purely aesthetic. It would require more accommodation to function and would take up more development time as a result. So if the solution to have playable Ridley is to remove the established Ridley beforehand, it completely contradicts the purpose of having the boss Ridley in the first place.

Additionally, all the characters in each series (with the distinct exception and actual gimmick of Toon Link) follow a set artstyle. All the other Zelda characters had their Twilight Princess designs. Olimar and Alph appear as they did in Pikmin 3. The Kirby characters follow a set rounded, lighter, more expressive bunch of designs reminiscent of the Kirby anime. Pit and Palutena take their appearances from Kid Icarus Uprising. And so on. It would be a more than reasonable assumption that Falco would have his Command/Brawl design like Fox does as well. If Samus and Zero Suit Samus are both based on their appearances from Other M, and then Ridley suddenly appears as he did in Super Metroid, that creates a sudden dissonance in design. It would only make sense for Ridley to be playable in his Other M incarnation to match with the Samuses. Based on that clip of Ridley, we know the shadow is that of Other M Ridley, however, so that eliminates the possibility of Other M Ridley being DLC. That leaves us with two scenarioes: The playable Ridley is Other M Ridley sited in the Smash Direct, or the 3rd Metroid character would be one of the only characters in the entire roster to not fit the artstyle of the rest of their series. With this being said, do you think it is legitimately realistic that Sakurai would former the latter based on what evidence we have thus far? I will not lie with you here. As much as I want Ridley to be playable and as much as I like Ridley's Brawl design more than Woody Woodpecker from Other M, that really seems like a stretch to think Sakurai would specifically go against the aesthetic he had set up. Had Brawl Ridley been the one we saw in the Smash Direct with the possibility for Other M Ridley being DLC still existent, I'd be a lot more inclined to agree with you.

If you really read all of that, I appreciate it. If not, I'm going to stab you you little **** the tl;dr is that Other M Ridley being a stage boss while Brawl Ridley is playable has way too many discrepancies to seem plausible. Had any of the conditions been changed, such as no shown Ridley on Pyrosphere whatsoever, the Ridley on Pyrosphere being Brawl designed, or Samus appearing as she did in Brawl, it would seem possible to see the DLC scenario you're setting up as possible, but all of these "barriers" of sorts make it seem merely like a pipe-dream. Again, I came to this conclusion with logic despite being a Ridley supporter. I want to find every bit of evidence I can to seeing us get Ridley, but I will not remain blind to the facts that lie before us. Ridley is simply not fit to be a DLC character already knowing his existence in Smash 4. Same-identity characters do not exist as both playable and stage bosses. Characters of a given series will follow a similar aesthetic. Ridley was already shown in the game with his Other M design. He is either playable or not. There's no middle-ground with the facts set before us.
I really don't have time to read all this.
And frankly, even though I did read it anyway, I still don't see any of things you are saying are such conclusive evidence against Ridley.

Morbi

Scavenger
On one hand, I want Chorus Men so that I can laugh at everyone who lost Ice Climbers for Chorus Men. On the other, I would be wrong about Chorus Men not being plausible. Decisions.

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
Pretty sure discussion of the Gematsu leak isn't supposed to be in the character discussion thread. Just sayin.

And wasn't it already concluded that the leaker just had outdated info? Seriously, the arguments against the Gematsu leak's legitimacy at this point feel more like denial that the Chorus Kids might be playable :p

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Yes. Because so did I.

I mostly agree with you. I thought all of the characters announced were very likely except Lucina and Wii Fit Trainer. Maybe even Greninja.

Wii Fit Trainer - Never expected it. Wii Fit did deserve some kind of recognition though.

Lucina - I thought it would either be Chrom or Robin. Lucina was a far third though.

Greninja - Only thought he had a good chance if he was part of the Kalos Trainer.

The rest were somewhat predictable.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Oh I thought were just getting hyped for Rhythm Heaven representation in general, didn't think you meant music for CK's trailer.
Well, I suppose it's all relative. All music is good. I really hope secret characters get trailers too.

Lucina - I thought it would either be Chrom or Robin. Lucina was a far third though.
I remember when I got looks for claiming Lucina and Robin both were way more likely than Chrom.
Now, I am the look.

Espio264

Smash Ace
I'll tattoo the Chorus Men on my butt if it means we're in fact getting Mewtwo back too.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Yes. Because so did I.

Really now, you predicted all of that? See, that's something special to me right there.

I run a forum game called Smash Bingo, you see. Everyone gave their predictions before E3 2013, and we've been keeping track ever since. The highest score anyone has gotten thus far are several people at 8 characters, @New_Dumal having 9. This is with Lucario and Ike on many of these mind you, as I thought both had strong chances of not returning prior to E3 2013 and listed them as feasible squares. Documented thoughts of what these people thought were characters to appear before even seeing anyone revealed, and not one person has gotten over 8 characters correct thus far.

Across those with the most filled boards, the only characters to be on most of these boards were Mega Man, Little Mac, Palutena, Mii, Pac-Man, and Shulk. Of all our newcomers, Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Rosalina, an X&Y Pokemon, Robin, and Lucina were all frequently missing on peoples' boards, and yet you claim to have gotten the commonly guessed characters plus all the misses above save Wii Fit Trainer? Pardon me if I'm going to call hindsight-bias on that. These characters were not as easy to guess as you think, so no, Gematsu is anything but another speculation list amongst all the Toads and Ghirahims you saw all the time.

Last edited:

Niala

Smash Ace
First of all, it's really easy to say "I thought this character was likely" in hindsight. I doubt most people would have advocated for half the characters they're saying they thought were likely before they came out with them. Only then was it completely obvious.

Secondly, people seem to dismiss that Gematsu only advocated for a specific number of characters, almost all of whom were correct. You can't compare your predictions to his without also comparing how many characters you thought were going to be in that aren't. If you thought Ridley*, King. K. Rool*, Bandana Dee*, Sceptile*, and Ghirahim were all likely, that's a whole 5 more characters you got wrong than he did.

As a result of my second point, it stands to reason our arguments are currently incapable of any level of merit. If we do not know the finalized roster, then we cannot adequately compare any set of characters by anybody with accuracy. As such, nobody can bring forth evidence that they were "as correct as Gematsu" at the current time, and I doubt anybody ever could.

As a footnote, I don't think we'll ever actually know whether or not the leak was legit. The information he provided could have been lucky guessing, and it could have been a proper leak. But if he never comes to tell us, we'll probably never know.

*I don't mean to imply these characters are impossible, just using them to make a point.

Morbi

Scavenger
Really now, you predicted all of that? See, that's something special to me right there.

I run a forum game called Smash Bingo, you see. Everyone gave their predictions before E3 2013, and we've been keeping track ever since. The highest score anyone has gotten thus far are several people at 8 characters, @New_Dumal having 9. This is with Lucario and Ike on many of these mind you, as I thought both had strong chances of not returning prior to E3 2013 and listed them as feasible squares. Documented thoughts of what these people thought were characters to appear before even seeing anyone revealed, and not one person has gotten over 8 characters correct thus far.

Across those with the most filled boards, the only characters to be on most of these boards were Mega Man, Little Mac, Palutena, Mii, Pac-Man, and Shulk. Of all our newcomers, Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Rosalina, an X&Y Pokemon, Robin, and Lucina were all frequently missing on peoples' boards, and yet you claim to have gotten the commonly guessed characters plus all the misses above save Wii Fit Trainer? Pardon me if I'm going to call hindsight-bias on that. These characters were not as easy to guess as you think, so no, Gematsu is anything but another speculation list amongst all the Toads and Ghirahims you saw all the time.
Are you asserting that your empirical evidence is indicative of what a person is or is not capable of predicting? I guessed most of the characters myself aside from Greninja and Lucina (whom I thought was more likely than Chrom). Albeit, I changed my speculation on multiple occasions before each and every reveal and I did not start until after E3 2013. But it is certainly possible.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
The only character I really felt was getting in for almost sure was Palutena, her trailer was unepic to me because I just saw that coming ten miles away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom