• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samuel Intrater

Smash Apprentice
Didn't the original leak say that Lucas, Ice Climbers, Snake and Wolf were all cut? I thought the argument was that the leak is incomplete, not that the leak is wrong.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Well, we did get Pac-Man, Miis, Palutena, Shulk, an XY Pokemon, a main character from Awakening (even if it was the "wrong" one), Little Mac, Mega Man, Villager, and Wii Fit Trainer. To me, that's evident as more than mere coincidence.
The majority of those were put on literally every fake leak in existence.

ActionHankBeard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ActionHankBeard
I agree. But I do prefer Tetra because she is one of the Triforce Trio, like all the other playable Zelda characters, and also... I think Toon Link looks lonely as the only Toon character.
I'm afraid of Tetra playing like a Zelda clone. ESPECIALLY since Zelda's new down special is a phantom knight, which originates from the Phantom Hourglass. Actually.. I'm afraid that the decision to give Zelda a special move that originates Phantom Hourglass/Spirit Tracks had something to do with Toon Zelda and probably increases the odds of her being playable. Plus didn't Sakurai mention that he wanted to include her in Brawl or something like that? Man please say it ain't so...

In any case i'd prefer an entirely different character than yet another alternate version of a character that already exists on the roster.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Here's my current roster in picture form.

Leaked Roster.png

Of the unique secret characters, there is Mewtwo, Duck Hunt Dog, Chorus Kids, Ice Climbers, and Wolf left.
Of the clones/semi-clones, there is Dixie Kong, Dr. Mario, and Dark Pit.

Lucas, Koopalings, and Alph are alternate costumes for Ness, Bowser Jr., and Olimar, respectively, denoted by red borders.
Ridley is a DLC character, denoted by a yellow border.

Last edited:

Mr.X98

Smash Journeyman

View attachment 24363

Of the unique secret characters, there is Mewtwo, Duck Hunt Dog, Chorus Kids, Ice Climbers, and Wolf left.

Lucas and Alph are alternate costumes for Ness and Olimar, respectively, denoted by red borders.

ihskeyp

Smash Ace

View attachment 24363

Lucas and Alph are alternate costumes for Ness and Olimar, respectively, denoted by red borders.
If you're going to put Lucas and Alph in their own spots for alts, you should put the koopalings too. I love your roster, but I'd add Impa. But I will be happy with any roster including Dixie, so.

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
Double Posting Warning Received
Link have been one of my mains for a really long time, these makes me really happy :dr^_^:

also... Diddy Kong have a Dixie palette swap... weird
Yeah, and Fox has a Wolf palette swap too, also weird...

View attachment 24363

Dat roster tho... :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.

View attachment 24363

I am noticing a severe lack of Vaati and Snake.

Also, I don't think Lucas is going to be a alt. or Ness. It doesn't really make much sense.

Other than that, it's fine.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I am noticing a severe lack of Vaati and Snake.
That probably has something to do with the fact that I don't think they're likely.

Also, I don't think Lucas is going to be a alt. or Ness. It doesn't really make much sense.
Other than that, it's fine.
Why not? It makes just as much sense as Olimar/Alph, in fact I would say it makes more sense considering the fact that Ness and Lucas's model are almost identical.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
It's not the fact he disappeared, it's the manner of it.

He disappeared for good as soon as Robin/Lucina were revealed. Claiming that he needs to talk to his source. He should be back by now. In the past, he had long breaks because he just waited until we were known to get some sort of announcement, to get us riled up. He hasn't done that since Robin and Lucina, though.

And again, my other points still hold water. I think he was ***-pulling.
Just how do we know it's for good? Did he say he would be back by now, having explained the process of contacting a leaker? When did he ever state that we won't be speaking to him again? Please cite the source of your information, because Sal not returning is news to me.

What's to say that aren't due to getting one last leak of information before the Japanese 3DS release, by the way? If that's the usual pattern, then considering how Gematsu never appeared for Rosalina or Little Mac's reveal, it's apparent that he did not appear for Robin's and Shulk's for the same reason. If we get another Smash Direct this week and he returns then, would that put your doubt to rest?

And no, they don't. When you consider how Gematsu was leaking planned documents, nothing of his is invalid, just outdated. Again, this is brushing aside everything he's gotten right this far simply because his information that fits into the behind-the-scenes doesn't exactly match the roster. You don't ass-pull Wii Fit Trainer, Greninja, the name "Mii Fighter", and potentially the Chorus Kids. Nobody can. Thousand monkeys on a typewriter my ass, to predict all of these things on top of the rest of the roster save 1 last-minute addition missing and 1 planned character outdated is not just an improbability, but an impossibility outright without firsthand knowledge of the game's planned characters.

Are Chorus Kids that salty that you simply refuse to fathom the idea, or do you have more of a basis to thinking Gematsu is wrong beyond "he got two things wrong over the course of months"? Because from what I've read from you, I've only heard you reject Gematsu rather than genuinely deconstruct it.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Cut characters that are indirectly in the roster via palettes + Custom special move-sets, is kind of neat (obviously not for those who are fans & are players who played those characters). If SSB6 some time in the future does this exact thing, I wouldn't be mad. If Falco wasn't a bird, I wouldn't argue against Falco being in SSB6 to only be a palette with Custom special move-sets returning to replace all of the so-very-identical specials these two share.:4fox::falco: But Wolf is more identical to Fox in appearance than Falco is to Fox, darn.:urg:

Now thinking about DP & Dr. Mario being separate fighters in their own slots compared to the Olimar / Alph situation, this is kind of lame-fest, perhaps extremely lame. Alternate palette + Custom Move-sets wouldn't of solved the lack of 'slots' to 'pad the roster', but it would of made it easier & less time-consuming than making those 2 separate slot characters. And Lucina, yet Marth getting a large amount of changes justifies that situation. Jeez.:urg:

Last edited:

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Lucas, Koopalings, and Alph are alternate costumes for Ness, Bowser Jr., and Olimar, respectively, denoted by red borders.
How would Ridley be DLC if he's already in the game in some form? Different incarnations throughout the series or not, it would definitely be confusing to a player not well-versed in the Metroid series to see a hypothetical boss Ridley fight a playable Ridley. It'd be like seeing playable Command Fox avoiding a stage hazard Assault Fox. The idea is just strange and harder to differentiate than Link and Toon Link, who at least visually look like opposites and play as almost separate characters outright.

I'm not saying Ridley is a boss for sure, but seeing his shadow definitely denotes that the need for DLC is irrelevant when we know he already has a role in the game. After all, no need for DLC Ridley if Ridley is already playable, right?

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
How would Ridley be DLC if he's already in the game in some form? Different incarnations throughout the series or not, it would definitely be confusing to a player not well-versed in the Metroid series to see a hypothetical boss Ridley fight a playable Ridley. It'd be like seeing playable Command Fox avoiding a stage hazard Assault Fox. The idea is just strange and harder to differentiate than Link and Toon Link, who at least visually look like opposites and play as almost separate characters outright.
I'm not saying Ridley is a boss for sure, but seeing his shadow definitely denotes that the need for DLC is irrelevant when we know he already has a role in the game. After all, no need for DLC Ridley if Ridley is already playable, right?
I have no idea what you're trying to explain to me.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
He saying we've already seen Ridley, So he won't be DLC
The Leak also Stated Wolf was Cut, SO basically you're swapping those two

Also Rhythm Heaven Music

This PLEASE

Last edited:

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
You're saying Ridley would be a DLC character. As in, not playable until he's later paid for and downloaded.

This would make sense for characters that don't conflict with the game, such as Matthew if Isaac is an Assist Trophy or Wonder Red if he has no other role in the game beyond being a Trophy.

However, we already know Ridley has an important role in the game, either as a character or stage boss. His shadow tells us that.

I'm saying, since we already know Ridley will either already be a playable character or already be a part of a stage, doesn't that seem implausible to put him as a DLC character?

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
You're saying Ridley would be a DLC character. As in, not playable until he's later paid for and downloaded.
This would make sense for characters that don't conflict with the game, such as Matthew if Isaac is an Assist Trophy or Wonder Red if he has no other role in the game beyond being a Trophy.
However, we already know Ridley has an important role in the game, either as a character or stage boss. His shadow tells us that.
I'm saying, since we already know Ridley will either already be a playable character or already be a part of a stage, doesn't that seem implausible to put him as a DLC character?
Not at all.
There's more than one version of Ridley. The only version of Ridley even hinted at having a presence in either version of the game is Clone Ridley from Other M, on the Pyrosphere. I think a Ridley derived from his Super Metroid design would be feasible as a playable character.

Boofer

Smash Ace
I still don't think this means anything for Gematsu at this point. It's been dead for a while now.

And I don't see why people have any pride complexes for believing in a leak that turns out to be correct.
If I'm not mistaken, wasn't Gematsu only wrong about one thing? Two tops maybe? AND, what it was wrong about was explained in such a way that seems to support the leak regardless. Sakurai mentioned Chrom as a possibility or consideration but changed his mind to the more original tactician, right?

Last edited:

Knuckles the Knuckles

Here's a taste of the remedy
NNID
Dromader
I rather have Roy to become an Ike clone now. Cuz at least he would be a clone of a different character, plus, you gotta need the flames bruh.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
@ DustyPumpkin DustyPumpkin Before I didn't realize that you could get Rhythm Heaven music without the SFX. So I was inspired to check some of it out, and...

WOW. Rhythm Heaven music is RAD.
I wish Chorus Kids were revealed already so I could've heard this in a trailer:
Or this:

Wow, that settles it. I full on support Chorus Kids now.
@Louie G...come back to us...:urg:

Maxilian

Smash Ace
The real question is, "Where is Ike's POR costume?" also, Roy, would I like him to be a Lucina/Marth alt? Idk at this point, since now I know he's doing alts the way I hoped.
Actually i would love to have Roy as a skin for Marth or Lucina, but at the same time i would be sad cause he was a clone and now a skin? that's a little sad but is better than not being in the game

Cpt.

Smash Lord

View attachment 24365

I'm so scared for Wolf and Dixie because of the costumes. Dixie I don't care much about, but still.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
Dixie's fur isn't yellow though, whats there to worry about?
It just looks so much like her. Diddy's pink looks a lot more like Dixie than Fox's looks like Wolf too (Wolf doesn't have anything purple).

Pit doesn't have a black pallet swap anymore which is why it is worry some.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
If I'm not mistaken, wasn't Gematsu only wrong about one thing? Two tops maybe? AND, what it was wrong about was explained in such a way that seems to support the leak regardless. Sakurai mentioned Chrom as a possibility or consideration but changed his mind to the more original tactician, right?
It was flat out wrong about the announcement timing of a lot of characters, and about Chrom being playable.

And then he missed many details that stain his credibility. He didn't call Rosalina, Robin, or Lucina. The Rosalina instance is especially fishy - he said Little Mac would be revealed when Rosalina was, didn't call her at all, and there is no way he could really miss someone from Nintendo's flagship franchise who seemingly was among the earlier batch of characters being worked on, since she was announced nearly a year before the game's release.

People have come up with theories to rationalise any discrepancies the Gematsu leak has without disproving it, but that's confirmation bias. These theories actually amount to nothing more than bluffs, as there is nothing proving that he had any inside information (unlike the more recent leak that had pictures and videos, which turned out real). People are just hanging onto lucky guesses as evidence. We've yet to see any concrete evidence that the Gematsu leak was anything BUT lucky guesses though. And like I said before, the disappearance of the leaker is the final nail in the coffin for it.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
It just looks so much like her. Diddy's pink looks a lot more like Dixie than Fox's looks like Wolf too (Wolf doesn't have anything purple).
Yeah well, Diddy Kong had that alt in Brawl and she was in--wait.
Anyway, Dixie Kong is one of the most likely characters possible, if there's truly five remaining characters, she is undoubtedly one of them.

D

Deleted member

Pit doesn't have a black pallet swap anymore which is why it is worry some.
Mario in his yellow costume didn't stop overalls Wario from showing up in Brawl.

And just recently, Dark Samus is both an AT & skin for Samus

Cpt.

Smash Lord
Yeah well, Diddy Kong had that alt in Brawl and she was in--wait.
Anyway, Dixie Kong is one of the most likely characters possible, if there's truly five remaining characters, she is undoubtedly one of them.
I like the faith man.

Mario in his yellow costume didn't stop overalls Wario from showing up in Brawl.

And just recently, Dark Samus is both an AT & skin for Samus
Don't remind me of Damus, it burns :(

Last edited:

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
If Ridley's not playable, he's almost definelty a boss/stage hazard, so how would DLC work for him? Meta-Ridley becomes the hazard/boss?

Pit93

Smash Apprentice
Found this pic on another forum and the artwork/sprite for Ridley doesn't look familiar to me at all. It could very well still be fake but I won't give up hope. ^^

Last edited:

Cpt.

Smash Lord
If Ridley's not playable, he's almost definelty a boss/stage hazard, so how would DLC work for him? Meta-Ridley becomes the hazard/boss?
I don't understand why people say DLC for Ridley. Either he's in or he's not. As much as that picture convinces me, Alfonzo just can't take his place.

Found this pic on another forum and the artwork/sprite for Ridley doesn't look familiar to me at all. It could very well sill be fake but I won't give up hope. ^^
Yeah that isn't even Smash 4 artwork

Last edited:

cothero

Smash Lord
Guys, i'm 100% convinced the Gematsu Leak was right all the time. Chorus Kids were the only ones we haven't seen yet (all the others were confirmed, excluding Chrom), plus all the playable characters have at least one representative enemy in the Smash Run (Yellow Ghost = Find Mii = Mii fighters), so if we have Sneaky Spirits in, it's almost certain that Chorus Kids are playable. I really don't care much about them, but now everything makes sense. The padlock in the leak indicates that not every character were unlocked, so there's a very high possibility that we're going to see the other ones very soon.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
I don't understand why people say DLC for Ridley. Either he's in or he's not. As much as that picture convinces me, Alfonzo just can't take his place.
Well i don't think he's playable, I agree with you that it's likely one or the other. If they could put him in they would, DLC is for character they didn't have time to, not ones they actively chose not to.

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
Guys, i'm 100% convinced the Gematsu Leak was right all the time. Chorus Kids were the only ones we haven't seen yet (all the others were confirmed, excluding Chrom), plus all the playable characters have at least one representative enemy in the Smash Run (Yellow Ghost = Find Mii = Mii fighters), so if we have Sneaky Spirits in, it's almost certain that Chorus Kids are playable. I really don't care much about them, but now everything makes sense. The padlock in the leak indicates that not every character were unlocked, so there's a very high possibility that we're going to see the other ones very soon.
The IC may not return and there is a polar bear enemy in smash run

Cpt.

Smash Lord
Well i don't think he's playable, I agree with you that it's likely one or the other. If they could put him in they would, DLC is for character they didn't have time to, not ones they actively chose not to.
Plus it would be very very odd to see Ridley as a boss and Meta Ridley as a character....

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
No, not every playable character has an enemy to go with them, at least as far as we know. For example, there's no Punch-Out, Animal Crossing, or Wii Fit enemy.

Also, assuming that the Ice Climbers are cut, then that means that series can get enemies without playable characters; the Polar Bears return despite the absence of the Ice Climbers.

So, no, Chorus Kids are not almost certainly playable.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Found this pic on another forum and the artwork/sprite for Ridley doesn't look familiar to me at all. It could very well sill be fake but I won't give up hope. ^^
That looks super fake.
Then again, I say that about everything. What would I know.

- Actually, I see issues with this.
In addition to looking very illustrated, that artwork doesn't blend with the background at all.
Also, if you look closely, you can see Ridley's name text is different proportions than Kirby's and is faded.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom