• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Care to address the point above, thethirdkoopa?

The only time Lucas had "first priority" over Ness was Melee.
Lucas was never planned for Smash 64, and both were equal priority in Brawl.
Smash 64 happened as well, but he was never put into the game - Both Smash 64 and Mother 3 were having problems, so it wasn't risked. (I'm sure there's a sauce around this somewhere, but even then, that's concepting so I'll let it slide)
Brawl is very very debatable but basically my point is neither or were last second and there's no proof against that. I did hear around the grapevine something about Lucas being one of the first newcomers, but I also did hear they ported Melee first and worked from it's engine, so even if both factors are true that would mean both were always considered from the getgo.

I did word the Smash 64 and Brawl parts badly, so my bad.

Also Golden, you can just call me Thirdkoopa or TK. :p

@ LaniusShrike LaniusShrike patching says hi

Last edited:

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
Smash 64 happened as well, but he was never put into the game - Both Smash 64 and Mother 3 were having problems, so it wasn't risked. (I'm sure there's a sauce around this somewhere, but even then, that's concepting so I'll let it slide)
Brawl is very very debatable but basically my point is neither or were last second and there's no proof against that. I did hear around the grapevine something about Lucas being one of the first newcomers, but I also did hear they ported Melee first and worked from it's engine, so even if both factors are true that would mean both were always considered from the getgo.

I did word the Smash 64 and Brawl parts badly, so my bad.

Also Golden, you can just call me Thirdkoopa or TK. :p

From Brawl's disc data, Lucas and Wolf were one of the last implemented characters.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Let's talk Diddy, shall we? :diddy:
Well I'm pretty sure if golden and i continue disagreeing with each other it'll end up in a spiral that goes nowhere so sure

Diddy is one of the few newcomers that I'd actually be shocked if they changed one of his moves. His moveset feels really polished to me and not that similar to many other characters. Is that just me?
From Brawl's disc data, Lucas and Wolf were one of the last implemented characters.
and what on the disc proves this

This is news to me.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'll go with TK since it brings up memories of watching Digimon as a child. :awesome:

As for the Smash 64 thing, it's the first I've heard of it. I'm going to need the sos if you can find it.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Any specific reasoning?
Chibi Robo has very little popularity towards smash, Alph isn't more important than Louie or any if the other pikmin characters and Kirby has absolutely no more characters that are as important as the big 3, bandanna dee is more of a made up character based on the 2-4 players model.

Ps: to the guy who wondered why sf gets so many characters the reason is it's because Starfox 64 is a masterpiece.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

....wut.

I've looked through Brawl's disc data. There is nothing that hints at Lucas being one the last implemented characters.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
And Nintendo responds, "Uh, hello, do I know you? If you don't get off my property I will call the police. And take your friend DLC with you."
:p

I think Diddy doesn't need any changes at all, really. He is a well-balanced character with a unique moveset and playstyle. He's one of the few Brawl characters that seems expertly crafted.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
I think diddy will either be alone or paired with Dixie, if they don't come as a pair I find Dixie's chances to be slim, I also believe they can make diddy/Dixie feel like the old diddy with new options so I wouldn't worry too much for you diddy mains.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
I'll go with TK since it brings up memories of watching Digimon as a child. :awesome:

As for the Smash 64 thing, it's the first I've heard of it. I'm going to need the sos if you can find it.
Sure. Also, probable character roster 2.0 is going to be done this weekend. I'm excited for you/me/others to spur up discussion. :awesome: (The fact I haven't updated it since E3 saddens me.)

Really?! It's actually pretty well known as one of the few Smash 64 things that was proven some time back. I'll try to find some sort of statement that goes with it. Though, with that one, it wouldn't really be replacing Ness - It's that he would have been in instead of Ness.

And thus this brings me into the headache of the topic of "What would the smash games be like if ___ happened" aaa

And Nintendo responds, "Uh, hello, do I know you? If you don't get off my property I will call the police. And take your friend DLC with you."
:p
Patching isn't a sin and Nintendo already got into DLC. Heck, DLC isn't even a sin. Overpriced DLC, on the other hand, can go die in a hole.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Ps: to the guy who wondered why sf gets so many characters the reason is it's because Starfox 64 is a masterpiece.
....kind of a weird justification, but alright. Many people would agree that Kid Icarus Uprising was a masterpiece and that doesn't exactly mean we need to make way for like five KI characters. :rotfl:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Really?! It's actually pretty well known as one of the few Smash 64 things that was proven some time back. I'll try to find some sort of statement that goes with it. Though, with that one, it wouldn't really be replacing Ness - It's that he would have been in instead of Ness.
...Pretty sure that's Melee.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
....kind of a weird justification, but alright. Many people would agree that Kid Icarus Uprising was a masterpiece and that doesn't exactly mean we need to make way for like five KI characters. :rotfl:
Well I only want Krystal so we will have 4, palutena has a good shot so there is 2 and is KI gets another game I bet someone like Magnes could get in 5 or something.

D

Deleted member

Don't remember when it was announced, but looking up information about it....
....now I'm not so sure it was Lucas who was to replace Ness in Melee.

Sakurai said on Ness' profile for Melee that he was initially planned to be replaced by the protagonist of Earthbound 64. He didn't say Lucas specifically.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Flint originally the protagonist of the game?

Last edited by a moderator:

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
The main protagonist had not been chosen at the time; Itoi stated that he would have given Lucas that role.[8][9] The first two chapters would feature different heroes and it would have 10 main characters[1][4] One of the character’s plot was that his 40-year-old father mysteriously disappears during the course of the game.[10] The settings included fantasy, medieval, and futuristic worlds.[4]
Honestly, the game sounds like it had a lack of direction still. I'm glad they had more time to work with it.

Last edited:

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
He's a possible last minute semi-clone that could make it into the roster just like how Lucas had his merits to get in the roster.
In all honesty, Alph should've replaced Olimar.
Sometimes I wish Mother 3 was released internationally too.
Shots fired. Don't do that to me.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
The difference between Olimar and Ness, and Lucas and Alph is that Olimar appeared in all 3 of the Pikmin games. With Alph only having a role in Pikmin 3.While the Mother franchise had a different main character each game, with none of the protagonists reappearing, at all. Minor characters and antagonists, that's a different story.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Pretty sure the reason Lucas got in alongside Ness is the same reason Kirby is considered among the "big four" and was the base of the SSE, bias on Sakurai's part. Of course, there's no way to prove this, but you'd think that as he worked for HAL at the time, and HAL was one of the developers of the Mother series, that the only reason Ness is part of the original twelve is because of that. And that of course, works towards Lucas' inclusion as well. Say, if Intelligence Systems had made Smash Bros. instead of HAL, someone from Fire Emblem would have been in the first game instead of a Mother character.

And didn't Sakurai say he was fond of rail shooters? Even if he didn't, it's pretty apparent that he is because of Uprising. He just probably loves Star Fox.

Edit: Looks like one of the mods got rid of it, was it you Scoliosis? Thanks for covering that one up.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Pretty sure the reason Lucas got in alongside Ness is the same reason Kirby is considered among the "big four" and was the base of the SSE, bias on Sakurai's part. Of course, there's no way to prove this, but you'd think that as he worked for HAL at the time, and HAL was one of the developers of the Mother series, that the only reason Ness is part of the original twelve is because of that. And that of course, works towards Lucas' inclusion as well. Say, if Intelligence Systems had made Smash Bros. instead of HAL, someone from Fire Emblem would have been in the first game instead of a Mother character.

And didn't Sakurai say he was fond of rail shooters? Even if he didn't, it's pretty apparent that he is because of Uprising. He just probably loves Star Fox.
Everyone should love Star Fox, we need a NEW STAR FOX!!!

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
golden, on the smash wiki i found out that an april fool's joke that a friend, myself, and a few others started was actually on there. Wow. (Brawl era)
What are you saying? Sakurai is so modest :rolleyes:
sakurai is a modest man
Everyone should love Star Fox, we need a NEW STAR FOX!!!
>uprising not being a star fox game
#blamesakurai

MagnesD3

Smash Master
golden, on the smash wiki i found out that an april fool's joke that a friend, myself, and a few others started was actually on there. Wow. (Brawl era)

sakurai is a modest man

>uprising not being a star fox game
#blamesakurai
I want Nintendo to put a ton of effort into making a Wii u Star fox game that is a combination of sf64, bayonetta and mass effect codeveloped by Nintendo, retro and platinum.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
I want Nintendo to put a ton of effort into making a Wii u Star fox game that is a combination of sf64, bayonetta and mass effect codeveloped by Nintendo, retro and platinum.
put your expectations down a little lower

unless you're saying they should invest the money to try to create a Mass Effect type franchise. that won't happen because we don't have burly white dudes in the franchise. Don't say Wolf because Wolf is the blackest character of the Smash series gurl

MagnesD3

Smash Master
put your expectations down a little lower

unless you're saying they should invest the money to try to create a Mass Effect type franchise. that won't happen because we don't have burly white dudes in the franchise. Don't say Wolf because Wolf is the blackest character of the Smash series gurl
I mean using mass effect 3s third person shooter elements combined with attack from the smash brothers games for hand to hand combat as well including choosing team members, upgrading abilities for you and your teammates as well as vehicles, a combo system, incredible story and length, non linearity, excellent on rails shooter parts and online multiplayer like me3. Also I'd like story mode to be split into Star Fox and Star Wolf stories, you have to beat both to get to the final story sequence. I want the next Star Fox to start a revolution dammit.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
TBH, since Pikmin 3 was a much better game than the last two Pikmin titles, Alph should've replaced Olimar to better represent the series. I know it won't happen now though.
Opinions, opinions everywhere. Pikmin 2 was the best one IMO. Normally, I'd be mad, but at least you've made it sound like you've played all 3, so i can't be truly mad :olimar:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Opinions, opinions everywhere. Pikmin 2 was the best one IMO. Normally, I'd be mad, but at least you've made it sound like you've played all 3, so i can't be truly mad :olimar:
I beated all 3 Pikmin games, I'm a big Pikmin fan as stated in my username. Something about the intense difficulty in Pikmin 3 satisfies me more than collecting treasure in Pikmin 2. Plus DLC treasure maps. (Although I need to move onto finishing Xenoblade)

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
can we just get a new star fox game that takes the good elements from sf64 and assault and builds up from them

i don't even think that's much to ask for
I feel like Nintendo could make a ton of profit from Star Fox if they executed it right. I loved Assault and 64, so the characters from assault, gameplay from both, but more from 64. (And a better on foot system.) Also, better graphics, and that team system and upgrade system mentioned before sounds lovely.

Now imagine an online where you can customize an Arwing of your own, with different weapons. Now imagine that you could choose a member of the Star Fox or Star Wolf team to mentor you in Online mode. God, i'm over hyping myself. Let's get back on topic.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
I have two great pains in my life, my love of Banjo Kazooie and my love of Star Fox. Oh how I have suffered...
#prayformagnes

So, Diddy possibly revealed tomorrow? I'd expect at least something DK related.

I mean, we haven't even got a stage yet.
don't remind me ;_; I want some love for other franchises. The whole 3DS/Wii U thing is really worrying me. I was already disappointed when returning franchises didn't get two new stages each.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom