• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So? Just because a movie is over a year old, it doesn't mean that everybody has watched the entire film
Yeah. And if the game was somewhat recent, I'd agree.

But the game isn't new at this point.

It's like me keeping the end of Super Mario Galaxy 2 a secret. Yeah, some may appreciate it, but chances are most people won't care as those who would already know the ending at this point.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Bandanna Dee or bust!
Prince Fluff has a more potential use of a moveset than Bandana Dee,he is unique,HE CAN TURN INTO A CAR. What can Bandana Dee do beside use a spear?

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Not having an excuse or not, Mewtwo's heavy amounts of popularity had to have had something to do with how it got to be such a hugely spoken issue. I mean I highly doubt people saying that Mewtwo's non-inclusion being a major issue with Brawl is just thanks to pity. I mean, we're talking about a character who's one of the most iconic characters in the second largest videogame franchise in the world, Pity may have played a part at the beginning, but it's the fans loving this character that carried it as far as it has come, especially to the point where he's the most wanted character the world over this time around.

As a huge Mewtwo fan in general, the character being cut wasn't just a sting because he had no reason to leave, but it came from the fact that Mewtwo's level of iconic is just too high to be brushed off, and from what we've seen of his character model, an actual texture skin, details on a final smash and a Victory theme, it was anything but being brushed off. In fact, it was never intended to happen in the first place. Which brings me to the fact that I find it incredibly ironic my Brawl Main was the true reason Mewtwo was never completed. :p
I guess we're opposites, because I've never cared about Mewtwo that badly. I always saw him as just another Legendary Pokemon among a dozen other Legendary Pokemon of a similar caliber, and his incredibly lackluster execution in Super Smash Bros. doesn't help. Hence why I never felt fazed by Mewtwo being missing in Brawl, and why I can't sympathize with fans of Mewtwo.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Prince Fluff has a more potential use of a moveset than Bandana Dee,he is unique,HE CAN TURN INTO A CAR. What can Bandana Dee do beside use a spear?
He can appear more than once. :troll:

Really though, the concept of a spear fighter hasn't been used in Smash. Plus, Waddle Dee can do some INSANE stuff with that spear. Spearcopter for the win!

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Fly with a spearcopter. Also survive a one hit attack and be reoccurring, which gives him an edge over most Zelda and FE characters :troll:. Also he can throw growing bombs, and use a mini cannon.

And if he borrows things from random waddle dees, then can fly using an umbrella, ride a pig, ride a wheelie.

Last edited:

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
I was going to quote a lot of things and do a proper reply, but I am going to have to absorb all the posts that occurred since I last posted on the fly.

A lot of these roster predictions end up not adding a NEW Pokemon (I mean it's Nintendo's 2nd baby tho from a 2nd party, but nonetheless should be included).

A huge conversation occurred for clones and semi-clones and how Ganon can live without his sword/weapon in general. While I think term could be quite subjective (I mean Kirby shares similar A attacks to Fox, but Wolf is still considered to be a clone of Fox.), chracters from different universes should not be strikingly similar to one another ie the Ganon argument. While I do have my fair share of changes and suggestions for Ganon, the fact remains he AT LEAST needs his sword/weapon.

I am completely indifferent about Isaac and Shulk as I have low expectations that Sakurai will put a franchise that is as close to death as it comes or put a character that just sprouted up. If anything, Mike from Startropics should be in, but that is a different debate all together.

Regarding those model pictures from Sakurai, the first one reminded me of Mega-Blaziken. Blaziken has been getting a lot of love from Poke fans and it would be a pretty opportune time to put him in to ride the Mega wave before it comes to a screeching halt. There is even going to be movie that has all the Megas in it.

Mewtwo's return should be obvious, but I doubt he will be much more different (maybe including more psychic related attacks). I do have plenty of ideas for a different moveset, but I doubt anyone really wants to see my idealization of the almighty cat god closely resembling the Egyptian god Bastet.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Seriously,though.

Prince Fluff dominates Spear WD with a Tank with Missiles.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Seriously,though.

Prince Fluff dominates Spear WD with a Tank with Missiles.
Bandanna Dee uses his spear to unfurl Prince Fluff and knit a sweater.

HE SHALL WEAR THE SKINS OF HIS ENEMIES!

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
If Masahiro Sakurai were to choose a playable character between Prince Fluff (who only appeared in one game) or Bandana Dee (who has appeared in several), Bandana Dee will the one chosen. That is hardly a question to even consider.

D

Deleted member

After Bandana Waddle Dee unravels Prince Fluff and acts as a champion, ol' Cranky Kong baps him a good one on the noggin with his cane, showing him who is the real master of the staff. :troll:

And before anyone brings up the furrybait, Cranky already disposed of her.

Last edited by a moderator:

andimidna

Smash Master
Fly with a spearcopter. Also survive a one hit attack and be reoccurring, which gives him an edge over most Zelda and FE characters :troll:. Also he can throw growing bombs, and use a mini cannon.

And if he borrows things from random waddle dees, then can fly using an umbrella, ride a pig, ride a wheelie.
Does recurring in the Kirby series really give him an edge over a new Zelda or FE rep? I definitely don't think so...
1. Impa, Anna, Tiki.
2. I doubt Sakurai focuses on the amount of games each character has been in, he adds who wants to add.
3. Everybody has moveset potential.
4. Sheik.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Or Cranky gives Krystal a good ol' spanking. Bonked her on the head, he did.
Oh god, don't give them any ideas.

So, it seems pretty dead right now. Made a few more visual tweaks to my roster:

Still need some better images for some of them, particularly Ike, but I'll just be able to use his official render whenever he gets revealed at least.

MagnesD3

Smash Master

Still need some better images for some of them, particularly Ike, but I'll just be able to use his official render whenever he gets revealed at least.
I would cut lip for Miis. As for the third fe character I feel it's either gonna be Roy or chrom (even though I want Lyn). When it comes to your shulk slot it could either be him Isaac or saki which one idk. Overall I like you predictions though.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I would cut lip for Miis. As for the third fe character I feel it's either gonna be Roy or chrom (even though I want Lyn). When it comes to your shulk slot it could either be him Isaac or saki which one idk. Overall I like you predictions though.
Why on earth would I want to put Miis? Why on earth would you want Miis? If you say "because of the E3 leak," then I'll let you know, I think it's a load of BS.

Thanks though. Besides wanting to replace Lip anyway.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
So, how about that Ganondorf? He'd be pretty cool with his magic. Namely that Tennis Ball of Doom.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Why on earth would I want to put Miis? Why on earth would you want Miis? If you say "because of the E3 leak," then I'll let you know, I think it's a load of BS.

Thanks though. Besides wanting to replace Lip anyway.
Miis are a big part of nintendos history, I think their inclusion is very likely, they have almost literally infected every Nintendo thing and to those people wanting Reggie will get him in a way. I feel miis are more likely to get in then mewtwo sadly but sakurai will make them cool.

andimidna

Smash Master

Ike might get confirmed soon, given Radiant Dawn was released 7 years ago on Feb 22.
I hope there is going to be a Zelda Newcomer :/ Just because there isn't one stand-out option won't stop Sakurai from including one.
I'd change Miss Fit to Wii Fit Trainer, because there is a male trainer.
I don't get why K Rool would be added over Dixie, but it seems like a lot of people think this will happen... still don't get it though.
It's a pretty safe roster overall. Nothing really out there... although I think Sakurai has one more complete surprise left, I doubt it's guessable.
I'd be pretty happy if this was the real roster.
I love Palutena, Ridley, Takamaru, Krystal, Shulk, Mewtwo, Chrom, and Lip
And I support Pac-Man, although I don't care much for him.
And I have to applaud the placement of each individual character:
Mario protagonists, Mario villain.
Yoshi before Wario.
DK last for Mario extension franchises.
Toon Link last for Zelda.
Takamaru next to Little Mac.
Meta Knight before Dedede
Starfox protagonists, Starfox Villain.
Shulk next to series with one rep.
Pokemon Trainer after Pikachu.
Mewtwo and Lucario next to each other with Mewtwo first.
Jigglypuff last.
Marth, then Ike, then Chrom.
Lip in the retro line.
Megaman being next to Sonic and Pacman.
Snake only next to the 3rd party, Sonic. (The only time this isn't a rule I go by, is when Bayonetta is on the roster)
Once again, love the placement.
I don't see any cuts, good.
Only real critique on placement: Takamaru next to Lip.
I'd put Little Mac where Villager is, Takamaru where Wii Fit Trainer is, Villager where Takamaru is, and Wii Fit Trainer where Little Mac is.
This way you can still have Villager before Wii Fit Trainer, but also have Little Mac before Takamaru, Takamaru before Lip, and all 5 retro in a row. The 2 japan only retro characters should stay together IMO.

?????????????

Smash Master
It's a pretty safe roster overall. Nothing really out there... although I think Sakurai has one more complete surprise left, I doubt it's guessable.
Really? I mean, I know we throw around Lip a lot here, but I always thought she was relatively "surprising".

I mean, I don't think I could go up to any of my friends and chat about Panel de Pon. They wouldn't know what the heck I was talking about.

Could be wrong though. She gets mentioned enough to the point where she isn't a total unknown to predictions, speculations, and requests.

Last edited:

andimidna

Smash Master
So, how about that Ganondorf? He'd be pretty cool with his magic. Namely that Tennis Ball of Doom.
I'd rather the tennis ball of doom be Zelda's Final Smash, Puppet Zelda. (we have TP designs, not OoT) Ganondorf just needs to be a heavy sword user, but should carry over a few moves from Melee/Brawl. Also, I really hope Ganondorf's Final Smash stays the same, him turning into Ganon is epic.

Really? I mean, I know we throw around Lip a lot here, but I always thought she was relatively "surprising".

I mean, I don't think I could go up to any of my friends and chat about Panel de Pon. They wouldn't know what the heck I was talking about.

Could be wrong though. She gets mentioned enough to the point where she isn't a total unknown to predictions, speculations, and requests.
Pizzadudemanguy has a Little Mac avatar now of course! :laugh:
And, regarding you talking about Panel De Pon with a friend, I could easily see the same thing be said about Mysterious Murasame Castle. They are both Japan-only series. And I don't know about you, but I have a total of 0 Japanese friends (meaning, actually living in Japan).
And, wasn't there only one Mysterious Castle game, but multiple Panel De Pon games, with American Puzzle Swap/Tetris Attack spin-offs?
All you need to do is look at yesterday's pic of the day, and you will see a Panel De Pon reference, the block.
Plus, Lip's Stick has been an item in the past.
I'm not sure is Mysterious Castle has been referenced... has it?
I'm only comparing her to Takamaru as I'm pretty sure Takamaru is on your roster, and I want to clarify why I think both isn't completely out there.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I hope there is going to be a Zelda Newcomer :/ Just because there isn't one stand-out option won't stop Sakurai from including one.
I'd change Miss Fit to Wii Fit Trainer, because there is a male trainer.
I don't get why K Rool would be added over Dixie, but it seems like a lot of people think this will happen... still don't get it though.

And I have to applaud the placement of each individual character:

Only real critique on placement: Takamaru next to Lip.
I'd put Little Mac where Villager is, Takamaru where Wii Fit Trainer is, Villager where Takamaru is, and Wii Fit Trainer where Little Mac is.
This way you can still have Villager before Wii Fit Trainer, but also have Little Mac before Takamaru, Takamaru before Lip, and all 5 retro in a row. The 2 japan only retro characters should stay together IMO.
I'm not really sure on a Zelda newcomer this time, so I just didn't include one. There aren't any really good choices that are actually likely either. I know about the male costume, but she's still Misfit to me. K. Rool is currently the most requested newcomer worldwide, it would be a giant middle finger from Sakurai to not include him. Not to say Dixie doesn't have anything to make her unique either, but K. Rool has far more options, and he's the main villain of the DKC series.

I'm really glad you went so in-depth in regards to the roster organization, as that's one of the things I think about a lot and always like feedback on. I'm not entirely sure about Lip being next to Takamaru, as Takamaru is in a line with the Famicom Four, while Little Mac is there due to being an NES character that isn't retro anymore. Though Lip isn't retro like you say, she wasn't on the NES either so placing her there wouldn't make much sense, though I did have her there once.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
I'm not really sure on a Zelda newcomer this time, so I just didn't include one. There aren't any really good choices that are actually likely either. I know about the male costume, but she's still Misfit to me. K. Rool is currently the most requested newcomer worldwide, it would be a giant middle finger from Sakurai to not include him. Not to say Dixie doesn't have anything to make her unique either, but K. Rool has far more options, and he's the main villain of the DKC series.

I'm really glad you went so in-depth in regards to the roster organization, as that's one of the things I think about a lot and always like feedback on. I'm not entirely sure about Lip being next to Takamaru, as Takamaru is in a line with the Famicom Four, while Little Mac is there due to being an NES character that isn't retro anymore. Though Lip isn't retro like you say, she wasn't on the NES either so placing her there wouldn't make much sense, though I did have her there once.
I feel dixies best bet is the tag team element with diddy if she is to make it in imo.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I feel dixies best bet is the tag team element with diddy if she is to make it in imo.
Dixie needs to stay the hell away from Diddy. That idea is just awful. And in regards to your comment about Miis, they aren't a big part of Nintendo's history, they aren't that old. They are important yes, but that's not going to get them into Smash.

andimidna

Smash Master

Is K Rool really the most requested character world-wide? With all these new games, I'd be a little surprised, but not too surprised.
And I didn't catch the Famicom 4 thing, that's a nice touch, I like it. And Villager works well on the main line as he was the first newcomer announced, so I think placement is perfect.

Dixie needs to stay the hell away from Diddy. That idea is just awful. And in regards to your comment about Miis, they aren't a big part of Nintendo's history, they aren't that old. They are important yes, but that's not going to get them into Smash.
Woah... what's awful about Dixie with Diddy? Playing as 2 characters is pretty big in the series. If it was the original intention, I just want to see how it works, also, I hated Diddy's banana move, It's completely random. It has the potential to leave you open for a KO, or you could just jump over it. Sometimes, it worked perfectly, sometimes it just sat there, and with the Banana already as an item, it's not interesting. It's also the reason he is so high on tiers, I'd rather they balance the whole character out... each move. Gtting rid of the banana would call for a buff in the individual moves, even if it's two characters. And if it's 2, range, areas hit, and defense gets improved.

I also hate the idea of Miis. I want to play as established Nintendo characters. Not a "make a character."

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Well the Diddy/dixie thing fits with the series and is sakurais original idea so dont be too surprised if it comes through, also I would say you are being a bit blind towards mii's likelyhood, look around you they are EVERYWHERE man. Of course they might not make it but the odds are extremely in their favor. As for actually wanting them I feel completely neutral towards them personally (hated them at first but prepped myself for their likely inclusion since I feel its an inevitability) Im sure sakurai will make them fun somehow...

?????????????

Smash Master
"Pic of the day. As shown in Little Mac's debut video, here is the height difference between Samus and Little Mac. He's used those mighty green gloves to punch out many challengers bigger than himself."

Totally hinting at Ridley.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
No Diddy and Dixie tag teams please. Both characters are big enough namesakes to be their own character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom