• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zynux

Smash Lord
People's misconceptions of Wolf are funny. Yes, he's antagonistic/villainous (especially in 64) but he's strictly a rival of Fox's (whom even helped him multiple times in the newer games). Andross is the main antagonist and Big Bad of Star Fox and his arch-nemesis (who killed Fox's father).

Like someone mentioned, Wolf is more equated to Wario then anything. He's not a major antagonist in any of the games at all, but a recurring rival.

Now I really need to play Starfox, this strangely is giving me a wanting to play one of the games one day. I need to find out for myself. O.o
Play Starfox 64. The rest I honestly can't recommend.

One thing I want to point out...
Sakurai said the 3DS and Wii U versions would have the same roster.
However.
He did not say they would have the same roster at the same time...
Honestly, prettier graphics, local 4-player and slightly different modes I don't believe is enough to sell a game on a console that's far more expensive with a far lower install base, especially when a cheaper alternative (3DS version) will be available. I'm trying to rack through my head on how they're going to market the Wii U version. If they don't go the route of addition characters on the Wii U (temporarily), then they are going to have to get creative.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Honestly, prettier graphics, local 4-player and slightly different modes I don't believe is enough to sell a game on a console that's far more expensive with a far lower install base, especially when a cheaper alternative (3DS version) will be available. I'm trying to rack through my head how they're going to market the Wii U version. If they don't go the route of addition characters on the Wii U (temporarily), then they are going to have to get creative.
I think you have a point.
Though, considering the way this game is somewhat embracing competitive players, I think the competitive community will vastly prefer the Wii U version (especially with that controller, oh my).

D

Deleted member

There are only two good Star Fox games.

Star Fox 64 and Star Fox 64 3D. That is why we have 2 characters from Star Fox this time around! Because thats the number of worthwhile games the series has produced during its wild and long lifetime!

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand

Star Fox 64 and Star Fox 64 3D. That is why we have 2 characters from Star Fox this time around! Because thats the number of worthwhile games the series has produced during its wild and long lifetime!
It's funny how it's the only Star Fox game developed internally as well. The rest, including the original, were out sourced.

Though the next one isn't outsourced. Here's hoping Star Fox Wii U brings the arcade goodness of 64.

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
Honestly, prettier graphics, local 4-player and slightly different modes I don't believe is enough to sell a game on a console that's far more expensive with a far lower install base, especially when a cheaper alternative (3DS version) will be available. I'm trying to rack through my head on how they're going to market the Wii U version. If they don't go the route of addition characters on the Wii U (temporarily), then they are going to have to get creative.
The best way to market the Wii U version would have been to make the Wii U version the only version. But no.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
People's misconceptions of Wolf are funny. Yes, he's antagonistic/villainous (especially in 64) but he's strictly a rival of Fox's (whom even helped him multiple times in the newer games). Andross is the main antagonist and Big Bad of Star Fox and his arch-nemesis (who killed Fox's father).

Like someone mentioned, Wolf is more equated to Wario then anything. He's not a major antagonist in any of the games at all, but a recurring rival.

Play Starfox 64. The rest I honestly can't recommend.

I think you're underselling the appeal of local multi-player and graphics. I hate the 3DS version (though i'm getting both) but the appeal of playing smash is playing against other human competetiors, and call me old school, but I'd rather play with my friends in a room then deal with laggy wifi and load times by myself with people I can;t talk to. Plus HD graphics > cel shaded cartoons

Weeman

Smash Crusader

I disagree, Assault's campaign was pretty damn good, if a bit short, and it had great multiplayer, as well as soundtrack.
Also the original one was also pretty good for it's time and it's still fun even today.

KingIceSonic

Smash Journeyman
Could I just bring up something about the leaked roster!
In the In the new famitsu scans there is two pages with all of the characters.

What is funny is that the order of the characters in the leak and the famitsu are the same EXCEPT Lucina who is right next to the FE characters instead of the bottom

No one can say "The list in famitsu isn't full!" or "Lucina would be moved when Dark Pit and Dr.Mario comes" because that is just not true. The famitsu order has no reason to change and put others around.

In Conclusion-This helps mean more characters from series like DK, Metroid, and Zelda

Last edited:

Maxilian

Smash Ace
I think you're underselling the appeal of local multi-player and graphics. I hate the 3DS version (though i'm getting both) but the appeal of playing smash is playing against other human competetiors, and call me old school, but I'd rather play with my friends in a room then deal with laggy wifi and load times by myself with people I can;t talk to. Plus HD graphics > cel shaded cartoons
You're not the only one bro, that's why i have a group of friends that are also getting the 3DS version so we can play together whenever we want

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Could I just bring up something about the leaked roster!
In the In the new famitsu scans there is two pages with all of the characters.

What is funny is that the order of the characters in the leak and the famitsu are the same EXCEPT Lucina who is right next to the FE characters instead of the bottom

No one can say "The list in famitsu isn't full!" or "Lucina would be moved when Dark Pit and Dr.Mario comes" because that is just not true. The famitsu order has no reason to change and put others around.

In Conclusion-This helps mean more characters from series like DK, Metroid, and Zelda
Yeah, someone posted that in the Krystal thread and I brought it up on both the K. Rool and Ridley threads. I think its very possible we could get another column. Granted, we might not get another column, but its a huge possibility, and it'd make perfect sense for the Pokemon to get shifted down to the next row, as well.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Yeah, someone posted that in the Krystal thread and I brought it up on both the K. Rool and Ridley threads. I think its very possible we could get another column. Granted, we might not get another column, but its a huge possibility, and it'd make perfect sense for the Pokemon to get shifted down to the next row, as well.
Isn't Krystal deconfirmed? The leak had a trophy of her which wouldn't be unlocked if she was playable.

Also why is Yoshi still in the middle of Mario's characters?

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Isn't Krystal deconfirmed? The leak had a trophy of her which wouldn't be unlocked if she was playable.

Also why is Yoshi still in the middle of Mario's characters?
I follow the Krystal thread even though I believe she's basically deconfirmed. I am curious about that trophy, though. Why would she have an Assault trophy on 3DS? She didn't even have an Assault trophy in Brawl.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
People still push for Krystal as DLC, but yeah, she is kinda sorta disconfirmed
Tip: use my terminology: [deconfirmed] for objective verdict and [almost deconfirmed] for subjective deconfirmation (only use it if everything points towards it strongly, but still not objective).

I love using words with predefined interpretation because it makes my speculation life easier. I hat the percentage way because it's imprecise.

SANCHOCO

Smash Apprentice

^I got a chuckle out of your colored letters lol

Last edited:

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
Alright, back from my break. A stubbornly optimistic roster (also a re-design) comes with me :p

I believe the leak. There's nothing about it I can't buy (though the roster image is skeptical, there's nothing in particular, especially since seeing those images in better quality somewhere else). I also believe the starting roster, as much as I don't want to. That in mind, this has 21 unlockables. 64: 4/12 unlockable (33 %) Melee: 11/26 unlockable (42 %) Brawl: 14/39 unlockable (36 %) 4: 21/60 unlockable? (35 %)

While I still think I'm being overly optimistic about this, taking into account the size of the starting roster, I don't think this is overdoing it by much.

Last edited:

Zynux

Smash Lord
Maybe I am. But do you think that appeal alone will have consumers shill out over $300 for? Remember, the Wii U has a very small consumer base; not many people have it. Not as small after Mario kart, but still pretty small all the same. Also, on the market a cheaper version will be available as well.

Don't get me wrong, Smash is Smash: there's still a good possibility that the Wii U version will sell well. But Nintendo is also taking a bit of a gamble with it as well, there's a likelyhood that it can all go wrong, depending on their marketing.

The best way to market the Wii U version would have been to make the Wii U version the only version. But no.
Less sales in the short run. Having two versions of the game (especially one on the 3DS) will net them more profit.

At the cost of a unified game featuring tons of content (instead of it being broken up and littered between two games), possibly even more characters, far more unified marketing strategy, no competition between the two versions and a more steady net profit in the long run.

But that's just my speculation. It's hard to really tell with these things. Making Smash solely on the 3DS would have been disastrous marketing move, especially considering Smash always traditionally being on consoles. Making Smash solely on the Wii U version would have been a risky gamble, considering how poorly it is doing. And making both versions is also usually risky and a development Nightmare.

---

EDIT:

In the end, people shouldn't rule out timed character exclusives yet. I agree with most people (mainly, the 3DS users) that something like that is shaddy and in generally shouldn't be practiced, but I'm having difficulty on what the Wii U version is going to fall back on to get it's trains going.

Last edited:

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Sure this is good and well if you've got the system and 60 dollars to burn, but what if you're one of many millions of people who still don't own a Wii U? What would convince you to spend 300 dollars? Would it be the local multiplayer and HD graphics or would you need something more?

edit: NVM. :4greninja:'d

Last edited:

FalcoPaunch!121

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5386-9681-7388
Alright, back from my break. A stubbornly optimistic roster (also a re-design) comes with me :p

I believe the leak. There's nothing about it I can't buy (though the roster image is skeptical, there's nothing in particular, especially since seeing those images in better quality somewhere else). I also believe the starting roster, as much as I don't want to. That in mind, this has 23 unlockables. 64: 4/12 unlockable (33 %) Melee: 11/26 unlockable (42 %) Brawl: 14/39 unlockable (36 %) 4: 23/60 unlockable? (39 %)

While I still think I'm being overly optimistic about this, taking into account the size of the starting roster, I don't think this is overdoing it by much.
Perfect. Yeah. Sceptile for Ridley. Snake for BD.Amazing.

:wario::wario::wario::wario::wario::wario::wario::wario::wario: /10 Warios!

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

I believe the leak. There's nothing about it I can't buy (though the roster image is skeptical, there's nothing in particular, especially since seeing those images in better quality somewhere else). I also believe the starting roster, as much as I don't want to. That in mind, this has 23 unlockables. 64: 4/12 unlockable (33 %) Melee: 11/26 unlockable (42 %) Brawl: 14/39 unlockable (36 %) 4: 23/60 unlockable? (39 %)

As good as the roster could feasibly be.
My only suggestion (albeit futile) is replacing Masked Man with Dixie Kong.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
I guess you guys are right, I guess since I'm older 300 doesnt seem like tham much (espicially being straightedge, you save a lot when youre not buying beer and weed in college)

ihskeyp

Smash Ace

Yay Impa! However there is a lack of Dixie Kong on this roster. I'll just assume you accidentally put Rool in her place ;)

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
My criteria in judging these prediction rosters:

Is Wario in his right costume? Yes? Good.

No? Search more.

Wario isn't in the roster? Get out.

Last edited:

Bonren

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bonren
3DS FC
1564-2345-5130

Way to optimistic!!!!

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
As good as the roster could feasibly be.
My only suggestion (albeit futile) is replacing Masked Man with Dixie Kong.
Yeah, I see what you mean. If Donkey Kong got 4, which it deserves, the fourth would be Dixie. But, I'm not attracted to Dixie as a choice at all, and think fans of every multi-rep series would be satisfied with their series the way I have it now. Just my own opinion. :)

Yay Impa! However there is a lack of Dixie Kong on this roster. I'll just assume you accidentally put Rool in her place ;)
You keep assuming that if it makes you happy ;)

Way to optimistic!!!!
I have no shame, or desire to change that ;) #stubborn

Thanks guys! :D

Last edited:

wizardto1

Smash Lord
NNID
waddledee3
3DS FC
1676-4166-2291
Does anyone found it odd that one reveal trailer proved a leak fake and the next trailer proved a leak real.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom