• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I don't think Bayonetta will be in Smash this time around. It'll probably be like the hyrule warriors direct and have absolutely nothing to do with smash.
I agree there, since Smash 3DS and Smash Wii U have already received an E10+ rating from the ESRB, and Bayonetta 2 is an M-rated game. I don't think Bayonetta's character is appropriate for an E10+ game, though Zero Suit Samus does say otherwise with her wardrobe.

murdokdracul

"What do you mean you support Yoshimitsu?!"
NNID
murdokdracul
3DS FC
2836-0188-2561
Switch FC
SW-5151-9208-7814
I agree there, since Smash 3DS and Smash Wii U have already received an E10+ rating from the ESRB, and Bayonetta 2 is an M-rated game. I don't think Bayonetta's character is appropriate for an E10+ game, though Zero Suit Samus does say otherwise with her wardrobe.
They could always just tone her down. Don't make her too skimpy or provocative; just focus on the fighting side of her. Not saying I think she's in, but I wouldn't mind, personally.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
After seeing some of the character trophies, I couldn't believe it retained its E10+ rating. Tharja is as erm "free spirited" as ever. Not to mention, Candy Kong is present here as well. I guess the ESRB couldn't care one way or the other how suggestive the themes are. It's like the only thing stopping this game from earning a T is the lack of blood. You've certainly got everything else here.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
After seeing some of the character trophies, I couldn't believe it retained its E10+ rating. Tharja is as erm "free spirited" as ever. Not to mention, Candy Kong is present here as well. I guess the ESRB couldn't care one way or the other how suggestive the themes are. It's like the only thing stopping this game from getting earning a T is the lack of blood. You've certainly got everything else here.
The two games are rated E10+ for "Mild Suggestive Themes", so the suggestive materials are probably not mature enough to warrant a T rating.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
The two games are rated E10+ for "Mild Suggestive Themes", so the suggestive materials are probably not mature enough to warrant a T rating.
Here's my next question. How did Smash Bros Brawl, a game with less apparent fan service, manage to succeed where Sm4sh did not and get a T? The reasons listed were cartoon violence and crude humor.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Here's my next question. How did Smash Bros Brawl, a game with less apparent fan service, manage to succeed where Sm4sh did not and get a T? The reasons listed were cartoon violence and crude humor.
Some guesses could include how heavily damaged Master Hand was after breaking free from Tabuu's Chains of Light; Master Hand actually had visible blood on him.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
By that same token, why would he promote the likes of Shulk, Palutena and the Fire Emblem cast before Mewtwo, King K. Rool and Ridley? You seriously think there is no marketing agenda in his thought process? That these characters were added purely on fan demand and moveset potential?
What does the Hype 3, Shulk, Palutena, or Fire Emblem have to do with Bayonetta? I saying that since Bayonetta is a 3rd Party, Sakurai isn't going to bother including her into the game just for the sake of promoting her new game. What factors he uses to decide which Nintendo characters to put in have nothing to do with her.

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord

*sigh* wtf is this, first ZSS then Shulk now Falcon, soon enough this game will be a whole nude beach fighter.
*imagines wario shirtless* BLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
What does the Hype 3, Shulk, Palutena, or Fire Emblem have to do with Bayonetta? I saying that since Bayonetta is a 3rd Party, Sakurai isn't going to bother including her into the game just for the sake of promoting her new game. What factors he uses to decide which Nintendo characters to put in have nothing to do with her.
That's ignoring the point, though. You brought up Sakurai's affiliation with Nintendo, or lackthereof, as a disincentive to market her. I brought up those characters because if Sakurai has no vested interest in Nintendo like you suggest, why would he advocate for the promotion and inclusion of Shulk, Palutena and the Fire Emblem reps before the "hype" 3? Isn't the objective to make more money for himself in the immediate term? Why would he care one way or the other about the state of those 3 franchises since he's not with the company anymore? Apparently, marketing does play a role here and it's not crazy at all to suggest he's being encouraged by Nintendo to make these moves. So with Bayonetta now a console exclusive, wouldn't the same incentive to market the character exist here as well if not to sell as many copies (and perhaps some Wii Us) as possible?

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Some guesses could include how heavily damaged Master Hand was after breaking free from Tabuu's Chains of Light; Master Hand actually had visible blood on him.
I forgot about that part. It's been years since I've watched the SSE cut scenes. Maybe that was enough to push the game over the edge after all. That or Wario himself.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I forgot about that part. It's been years since I've watched the SSE cut scenes. Maybe that was enough to push the game over the edge after all. That or Wario himself.
The strange part, however, is that Kirby Triple Deluxe is rated E, and yet blood is visible when you're fighting Dark Meta Knight. Whereas, Kirby's Return to Dream Land is rated E10+, but no blood is ever present.

plumpythepanda

Smash Cadet
NNID
plumpythepanda
3DS FC
3325-1502-8082
I just recently posted this in another thread but I feel like it will go along here nicely as well.
How do you think they'll handle trailers for hidden characters? Like maybe sakurai will post them after the Japan or US release or maybe we can unlock them along with the character? I would hate to have a newcomer that went without a trailer because the trailers are amazing. I doubt he's gonna post all the trailers for newcomers within 9 days.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
The strange part, however, is that Kirby Triple Deluxe is rated E, and yet blood is visible when you're fighting Dark Meta Knight. Whereas, Kirby's Return to Dream Land is rated E10+, but no blood is ever present.
Lol. I have no explanation for that discrepancy. The standards to me are easy to understand on their face, but it's when they're applied to games where I get lost. I don't know what combination of themes and gameplay warrant one rating over the other. To me it feels like the employee evaluates the content and then goes with his best guess.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Well Wario's worst offender (the Waft) is back, but the game is rated E10+. Hell it doesn't even have the Crude Humor label anymore.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Well Wario's worst offender (the Waft) is back, but the game is rated E10+. Hell it doesn't even have the Crude Humor label anymore.
Actually, we don't know this at all. Most likely, but we haven't even seen Wario, so how do we know its back?

Dratnell

Smash Cadet
NNID
Dratnell-92
3DS FC
4270-2473-1284
So, this is the calm before the storm guys. I know we're all pretty spent on the character speculation, because every possible scenario has been talked about ENDLESSLY on here. Will the hype 3 be confirmed? It's hard to say. We're all not going to get what we want, so as the doomsday clock ticks down until September 13th, what's everyone's stance on the final CSS?

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
So, this is the calm before the storm guys. I know we're all pretty spent on the character speculation, because every possible scenario has been talked about ENDLESSLY on here. Will the hype 3 be confirmed? It's hard to say. We're all not going to get what we want, so as the doomsday clock ticks down until September 13th, what's everyone's stance on the final CSS?
Still a few characters left, most likely 5. The Hype Three are most likely in. The other two characters I'm not sure, but I'm expecting a Zelda rep, probably Impa.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
I've got a feeling Mewtwo is safe.
Ridley is more then likely safe as well.
King K. Rool? Uh....not really safe. Dixie might take that slot.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I think its going to expand to 10 columns and the clones will shift up to their franchises like they did in Melee. Pokemon has been known to shift around, too, it happened in Melee, so I wouldn't be surprised at all to see it shift down.

I think we've got about 6 characters, personally, MAYBE 7 if they add a character to the final row, but its a stretch. The final row hasn't gotten extended at all, so perhaps its for Mii Fighters.

I definitely think we've got the Hype 3. If the roster extends to 10 wide (which I think is most likely), we've probably go both K. Rool and Dixie Kong. A Zelda newcomer? Maybe. Isaac I still think is in as well, and also Wolf.

So, my thoughts in order:

1. Wolf
2. Ridley
3. Mewtwo
4. King K. Rool
5. Isaac
6. Dixie Kong
7. Impa

Naturally, if it turns out we've got less, I'd cut from the bottom of the list first, so Impa, then Dixie, then Isaac, Rool, etc. Unless one of them is disconfirmed outright, which so far hasn't happened.

Gold_Jacobson

Smash Journeyman
So, if mewtwo isn't in...

Did both star fox, earthbound,Pokemon lose a slot since brawl? 3 to 2, 2 to 1and 6 to 5?

Then, DK, Zelda, and kirby stayed stagnant?

Dang

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Personally I think they already dead, if Sakurai really wanted to hype the game, they would've been revealed much earlier, but as it's getting closer to Japanese release I'm really doubting their chances.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Personally I think they already dead, if Sakurai really wanted to hype the game, they would've been revealed much earlier, but as it's getting closer to Japanese release I'm really doubting their chances.
Either that, or the characters just weren't ready to be revealed to the public yet.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
I don't expect more characters to get revealed for the Wii U and have the cross platform DLC thing going, but I'm not writing it off either. The next couple of months should get real interesting for you guys. Tbh, I'm a little excited about what's in store for the Wii U, even though I want more characters more than I do modes.

Kinglypuff

Smash Cadet
I don't actively want Mewtwo in the game (I like him, but I can do without), but I have a hard time believing he's not going to be in the game. He has been planned every Smash iteration and was cut in Brawl only due to time contraints. There's no doubt he was at least planned for Smash 4 and if not completed in time, he WILL be a DLC because it's going to be a thing, for sure.

bballstar23

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2383-6686-1312
After being burned by Brawl, I'm taking a cautious approach this time around. As much as I'd like to believe the "Hype 3" as they're being called are in, I'm willing to accept the leaked CSS we've seen is all we have for now. Of course I'd love to see some other new faces, Ridley for one--especially since I've been supporting him since the Brawl days--but I'm not fully convinced yet that we'll be getting anyone else. I wouldn't say I'm disappointed with the roster, but I am at peace with it, as many of the characters I originally predicted for Brawl have made it into this game now.

Last edited:

Pizzanigs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pizzanigs
I think its going to expand to 10 columns and the clones will shift up to their franchises like they did in Melee. Pokemon has been known to shift around, too, it happened in Melee, so I wouldn't be surprised at all to see it shift down.

I think we've got about 6 characters, personally, MAYBE 7 if they add a character to the final row, but its a stretch. The final row hasn't gotten extended at all, so perhaps its for Mii Fighters.

I definitely think we've got the Hype 3. If the roster extends to 10 wide (which I think is most likely), we've probably go both K. Rool and Dixie Kong. A Zelda newcomer? Maybe. Isaac I still think is in as well, and also Wolf.

So, my thoughts in order:

1. Wolf
2. Ridley
3. Mewtwo
4. King K. Rool
5. Isaac
6. Dixie Kong
7. Impa

Naturally, if it turns out we've got less, I'd cut from the bottom of the list first, so Impa, then Dixie, then Isaac, Rool, etc. Unless one of them is disconfirmed outright, which so far hasn't happened.
Sorry, but I think you're going to be extremely let down.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Mr. L. seems like a better alt attire for Luigi. I mean c'mon, Sakurai loves dark type characters
Then why is Zoroark not playable??? Greninja is only part dark type.
Besides as much as I would love Mr. L, he's way too much of a stretch if you ask me.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
That's ignoring the point, though. You brought up Sakurai's affiliation with Nintendo, or lackthereof, as a disincentive to market her. I brought up those characters because if Sakurai has no vested interest in Nintendo like you suggest, why would he advocate for the promotion and inclusion of Shulk, Palutena and the Fire Emblem reps before the "hype" 3? Isn't the objective to make more money for himself in the immediate term? Why would he care one way or the other about the state of those 3 franchises since he's not with the company anymore? Apparently, marketing does play a role here and it's not crazy at all to suggest he's being encouraged by Nintendo to make these moves. So with Bayonetta now a console exclusive, wouldn't the same incentive to market the character exist here as well if not to sell as many copies (and perhaps some Wii Us) as possible?
You put way too much stock into Smash Bros. status as a marketing machine in regards to how Sakurai chooses characters. For the most part, he puts in characters because he either thinks they will be fun or because they are highly requested/hugely popular. The exception to this is Pokémon and Fire Emblem and that's because its simply much easier to put in a character from the newest game rather than combing through the entirety of both series in order to determine who is the best character to include and even there, him being a big fan of Fire Emblem probably has something to do with him putting in more FE characters rather than the desire to promote FE for the sake of promoting FE. If Bayonetta somehow gets in, its not going to be because she has a new game coming out on the Wii U, its would be simply because Sakurai is a gigantic fan of the game.

And as for Mewtwo, Ridley, and K. Rool, who the **** knows what the deal is with them. All I know is that their fate has little to do with the inclusion of Shulk, Palutena, Robin, and Lucina, at least little more than every other newcomer's inclusion does (especially Mewtwo who's fate is far more impacted by Greninja, Charizard, Jigglypuff, and Lucario than non-Pokémon reps).

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Then why is Zoroark not playable??? Greninja is only part dark type.
Besides as much as I would love Mr. L, he's way too much of a stretch if you ask me.
Because all the fanboys demand Mewtwo and Lucario to return, so Z's out :troll:

Never hurts to try. If they can make Mr Game and Watch in 3-D, I don't see how they can make an alt attire from the Paper Mario series. Could also give the series some great representation as well even for alt attires

Dims

Smash Cadet
I think we've seen the (3DS) release roster. I hope for more but I don't want to be dissapointed. I definitely believe we will get DLC in the future to at least fill out the 3DS top screen if this is the final roster though ^^

still really hoping for mewtwo though

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Sorry, but I think you're going to be extremely let down.
I'm not hoping or anything, I'm not grasping at straws. I just think it looks likely to happen. Obviously, I'm the exception. I'm not going to be let down, though, because I am fully prepared to be wrong. I don't think I'm wrong, obviously, but I'm prepared for that outcome. I'm already let down as is, its just that the evidence I see points to more characters. If there are none, whatever, my hype has already been killed anyway.

Chihiro Fujisaki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KnightOfSpace
im still hoping REALLY hard for lucas. i mean, its MOTHERS 25th anniversary why would you cut lucas?? sigh

on regards to mewtwo, hes ultra popular in america AND japan right? i think hes probably the most likely veteran right now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom