• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burruni

Smash Hero
...I forget Fire Emblem hadn't even gotten a second AT yet. God I'm hoping they don't pull another Riki. Owain, Tharja, Anna, and Tiki would be much better options for an Assist Trophy than Chrom.
"God, I'm hoping they don't pull another Riki." What do you mean by this? Because Heropon VERY cool. We have no idea if Riki is the sole Xenoblade Assist Trophy. In fact, I believe he is the first that was part of a newcomer trailer.

There's no proof he's the last Xenoblade Assist. And especially after how big Awakening was, I'd be surprised if we didn't get an assist of Tharja, Anna, or Tiki.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
We're definitely getting close to release. Soon enough someone from Japan will get their hands on a copy of the game before posting the rest of the secrets they encounter in the game on the Internet. We're almost at the end of speculation. Because of this, and since this is my 300th post, I'm going to give you all the list of characters that I think could still be on the roster, provided the leak is incomplete. If it isn't, then this post will be entirely pointless. Nonetheless, here are my final predictions:

Wolf: I have a feeling Wolf might still be in the game. He's the main rival in the Star Fox franchise. He was also in Star Fox 64 3D, so he hasn't technically been gone for all that long. With the Star Fox series getting a new Wii U addition sometime in the following years, and the franchise only having three playable representatives, it wouldn't make sense to cut him. He was also one of the last ones to unlock in Brawl, so suffice it to say he may be one of the last characters you unlock in Smash 4 as well.

Mewtwo: With Mewtwo being one of the most highly requested characters to appear in Smash 4 after getting cut in Melee, I don't think Dr. Mario is going to return while Mewtwo is left out. I think that enough hints have been dropped leading us, the speculators, to believe that he could indeed be in the game as unlockable. Also there were six playable Pokemon in Brawl. Something tells me that they wouldn't want to downgrade that number to five. It would definitely be a shame if they did.

Toon Zelda: Many have speculated on who our sixth Zelda series representative could be for quite a long time. I've seen countless debates on who is most likely. First it was Ghirahim for most, now it appears to be Impa. I've always seen Toon Zelda to be the most likely candidate for various different reasons. Namely Wind Waker HD for relevancy and marketability, almost being included in Brawl, Zelda's new down special, and the Phantom trophy matching the Phantom that TZ is associated with in all of the Spirit Tracks artwork. If we get a sixth playable representative for the Zelda franchise, my money is still on Toon Zelda.

Dixie Kong: The third Donkey Kong representative seems to be a never ending debate for many people. Both King K. Rool and Dixie are great choices, and I would have loved to see both of them make it in. Sadly at this point in time, it appears that we'll either get one or none. I think Dixie Kong is the one we'll more likely see if we get a third playable representative for the DK franchise. She's popular, could be easy to make, was almost included in Brawl, and she would be a good way to market Tropical Freeze. That's just the way I see it. If King K. Rool is still more likely to any of you, then I wish you the best of luck in seeing him playable.

Ice Climbers or a representative from a new franchise: I still tend to think that Ice Climbers have a decent chance at making it back. I'm not entirely certain though. If they truly are cut, I think that another character from an unrepresented franchise may be in the game instead. Perhaps it's that Rhythm Heaven representative people tend to think is possible? I believe that we still may get one more secret newcomer that would make you think to yourself, "Huh, that's a nice addition." Said newcomer wouldn't be able to drum up any hype if they were to get their own trailer, but it would be a character that would make a great secret newcomer.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
We're definitely getting close to release. Soon enough someone from Japan will get their hands on a copy of the game before posting the rest of the secrets they encounter in the game on the Internet. We're almost at the end of speculation. Because of this, and since this is my 300th post, I'm going to give you all the list of characters that I think could still be on the roster, provided the leak is incomplete. If it isn't, then this post will be entirely pointless. Nonetheless, here are my final predictions:

Wolf: I have a feeling Wolf might still be in the game. He's the main rival in the Star Fox franchise. He was also in Star Fox 64 3D, so he hasn't technically been gone for all that long. With the Star Fox series getting a new Wii U addition sometime in the following years, and the franchise only having three playable representatives, it wouldn't make sense to cut him. He was also one of the last ones to unlock in Brawl, so suffice it to say he may be one of the last characters you unlock in Smash 4 as well.

Mewtwo: With Mewtwo being one of the most highly requested characters to appear in Smash 4 after getting cut in Melee, I don't think Dr. Mario is going to return while Mewtwo is left out. I think that enough hints have been dropped leading us, the speculators, to believe that he could indeed be in the game as unlockable. Also there were six playable Pokemon in Brawl. Something tells me that they wouldn't want to downgrade that number to five. It would definitely be a shame if they did.

Toon Zelda: Many have speculated on who our sixth Zelda series representative could be for quite a long time. I've seen countless debates on who is most likely. First it was Ghirahim for most, now it appears to be Impa. I've always seen Toon Zelda to be the most likely candidate for various different reasons. Namely Wind Waker HD for relevancy and marketability, almost being included in Brawl, Zelda's new down special, and the Phantom trophy matching the Phantom that TZ is associated with in all of the Spirit Tracks artwork. If we get a sixth playable representative for the Zelda franchise, my money is still on Toon Zelda.

Dixie Kong: The third Donkey Kong representative seems to be a never ending debate for many people. Both King K. Rool and Dixie are great choices, and I would have loved to see both of them make it in. Sadly at this point in time, it appears that we'll either get one or none. I think Dixie Kong is the one we'll more likely see if we get a third playable representative for the DK franchise. She's popular, could be easy to make, was almost included in Brawl, and she would be a good way to market Tropical Freeze. That's just the way I see it. If King K. Rool is still more likely to any of you, then I wish you the best of luck in seeing him playable.

Ice Climbers or a representative from a new franchise: I still tend to think that Ice Climbers have a decent chance at making it back. I'm not entirely certain though. If they truly are cut, I think that another character from an unrepresented franchise may be in the game instead. Perhaps it's that Rhythm Heaven representative people tend to think is possible? I believe that we still may get one more secret newcomer that would make you think to yourself, "Huh, that's a nice addition." Said newcomer wouldn't be able to drum up any hype if they were to get their own trailer, but it would be a character that would make a great secret newcomer.
Dixie Kong is my favorite DK character, but overall I personally think K. Rool is far, far more likely than Dixie Kong. The only arbitrary things going for Dixie Kong are various leaks (all of which are fake), Tropical Freeze (which isn't getting representation and Sakurai likely had no idea it was in development at the start of this game's development), and the Forbidden 7, which we know was due to her being planned as part of a tag team with Diddy Kong that got scrapped.

K. Rool is not merely far more popular than Dixie Kong. He's also the #3 MOST REQUESTED character for Smash Bros. in both Japan and the west. The only arbitrary reasons against K. Rool (recency, Nintendo doesn't care about the Kremlings anymore, Nintendo doesn't own the Kremlings) are completely dead arguments. I personally think K. Rool is the #2 most likely newcomer left (not on the leak obviously), and the #4 most likely character overall. Although there's still the chance of getting both, and I'd love to see that, I still think K. Rool is more likely as a whole.

Agreed with both Mewtwo and Wolf. I think Ice Climbers are blatantly gone, personally. If we were to have one new franchise represented, I think its Golden Sun, I really do. Toon Zelda? I think her chances are dead as well.

But, well, that's your opinion, so its fine. We'll see how things go.

D

Deleted member

Straight from the instruction manual:

"MY NAME IS DR. MARIO
Hi everybody! I'm Mario. How's it going? Over the last few years, I've
been involved in some pretty wild adventures
. Now, believe it or not, I
work in the virus research lab at the Mushroom Kingdom Hospital. Today I'm
about to begin my research as usual."

But Paper Mario isn't in a different universe?

Oh and here's picture evidence:
Straight from Miyamoto's mouth:
Shigeru Miyamoto said:
There's really only one rule in terms of the things that Mario does. Generally, it's that he's more on the blue-collar side. He's hard-working, and certainly much more physical in nature. So, I think that a doctor is sort of an unexpected and perhaps unbelievable role for Mario. Perhaps the Dr. Mario you're thinking of was maybe, in some way, not necessarily legitimate.
This is pretty much saying that the Dr. Mario franchise is not canon to the rest of the Mario games. As in, it has its own separate canon.

Though that brings me to a post I've made months ago in the Dr. Mario thread...
It's more than just the interview. It's the Dr. Mario franchise itself.
Dr. Mario is supposed to be this guy that's working day and night to develop miracle cures (with the cure for the common cold being elusive) and wipe out infectious viruses, yet has time to work part-time as a plumber and save Princess Peach on a regular basis? And host extracurricular activities?
And speaking of Peach, she's supposed to be right by Dr. Mario's side the whole time as a nurse? How is she able do that and govern her kingdom (though admittedly she's kind of terrible at that...)?

And don't get me started on Wario's involvement in the franchise. No, Wario's not the problem. It's that Dr. Mario's world is filled with enemies from Wario Land 3, including it's antagonist, Rudy the Clown. Except....all of those enemies are from the Music Box World, and weren't enemies at all, let alone Rudy's minions. They were the citizens of the world transformed into monsters by Rudy as a last act of defiance before they sealed him away. They only went after Wario to stop him from reviving Rudy. And Rudy himself? He's supposed to be larger than life. He was the background in his fight with Wario.

In Dr. Mario 64, he's freaking puny!

And
apparently has a mountainous jugular.
But the worst part of this is....Rudy is supposed to be dead. Wario killed him! And it's not like when Mario "kills" Bowser whenever they fight; Rudy was Killed Off for Real, just like many other of Wario's foes. Why is he alive? And why is he outside the Music Box World?

And then there's the fact that swallowing Megavitamins apparently has the same effect as grabbing a Metal Cap (Mario) and being bitten by bats (Wario), but I'm not going to delve into that too much.

To top it off, unlike other side Mario series, barely anything from Dr. Mario is featured in other Mario titles. Only the Virus enemies in two of the Mario & Luigi RPGs, and they're not microscopic and have to be killed by pills, they're Goomba-sized.
As well as special Virus items in the Mario Kart Arcade GP titles that are based off of the Viruses (specifically the Blue Virus).

You can use the "it's not canon" excuse, but that only means it's not canon to the Mario franchise. Dr. Mario is a franchise all of its own. It's not just one game, it's FIVE (not counting things like the GB Dr. Mario, Dr. Mario & Tetris, Vs. Dr. Mario, Dr. Mario & Puzzle League, etc.), though the last game starred Dr. Luigi instead.
It has its own canon. Its own universe. An alternate universe where Mario is a doctor, not a plumber.

Aside from that, here's something from Super Mario Bros. 3's manual...

Notice anything....peculiar? The Koopalings are being labeled as Bowser's children.
It's been established recently that Bowser Jr. is Bowser's only actual child. By, again, Miyamoto.
Miyamoto said:
Our current story is that the seven Koopalings are not Bowser’s children. Bowser’s only child is Bowser Jr., and we do not know who the mother is.
So what have we learned? That localized manuals are not necessarily accurate.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
...I forget Fire Emblem hadn't even gotten a second AT yet. God I'm hoping they don't pull another Riki. Owain, Tharja, Anna, and Tiki would be much better options for an Assist Trophy than Chrom.
I think its more likely for FE to get another Assist Trophy from prior games in the series than just fill it up with Awakening AT's. I'd really like us to see AT's from at least Sacred Stones (Ephraim) and Jugdral (preferably Arvis, but Sigurd or Leif would be cool as well, maybe even with them mounted). I'd be surprised if FE did not get another AT, though.

Lord Goomy

Smash Apprentice
I'd like to pose a question. Who do you guys think, once unlocked, will cause Yoshi to move next to Wario?

Also based on the POTD Monday, I'm convinced Chrom is the Awakening AT, and Micaiah will be the third and final AT for Fire Emblem.
It seems that character's don't jump around on this roster as they did in melee. Instead the roster behaves like it did with Brawl. DUe to this I also believe that Mewtwo and Wolf are far more likely than Ridley to be included, due to complications with Metroid's line on the CSS if any characters are added.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
It seems that character's don't jump around on this roster as they did in melee. Instead the roster behaves like it did with Brawl. DUe to this I also believe that Mewtwo and Wolf are far more likely than Ridley to be included, due to complications with Metroid's line on the CSS if any characters are added.
Eh, I don't know. Yoshi being in the middle like that makes no sense at all. The last minute guys being together is one thing, but Yoshi...

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Eh, I don't know. Yoshi being in the middle like that makes no sense at all. The last minute guys being together is one thing, but Yoshi...
This exactly. I think the roster will remain mostly consistent, but some characters (such as the one-offs) will shift around depending on who is unlocked at the time.

"God, I'm hoping they don't pull another Riki." What do you mean by this? Because Heropon VERY cool. We have no idea if Riki is the sole Xenoblade Assist Trophy. In fact, I believe he is the first that was part of a newcomer trailer.

There's no proof he's the last Xenoblade Assist. And especially after how big Awakening was, I'd be surprised if we didn't get an assist of Tharja, Anna, or Tiki.
I doubt the person was complaining about Riki at all. I think they were just complaining about FE AT's and how Chrom shouldn't be both an AT and part of Robin's Final Smash, it had nothing to do with Riki.

Last edited:

Lord Goomy

Smash Apprentice
He is technically a Mario character. I do agree with you that it's strange, but of all the characters that could be in the middle of another series' reps, Yoshi and Mario kinda makes the most sense.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

Cue the Bayonetta supporters.

Alternatively, cue the "Zero Suit Samus kinda moves and attacks like Bayonetta, which means Ridley!" hub-bub.
This likely means nothing for Smash 4, as we did get a Hyrule Warriors Direct a month ago, and we got nothing related to Smash Bros. from it.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord

No offense intended to Riki, he's probably the best and most unique choice for an Xenoblade AT. I'm just hoping they don't go the route of "we already made the model so lets make Chrom an AT to save time".

I think its more likely for FE to get another Assist Trophy from prior games in the series than just fill it up with Awakening AT's. I'd really like us to see AT's from at least Sacred Stones (Ephraim) and Jugdral (preferably Arvis, but Sigurd or Leif would be cool as well, maybe even with them mounted). I'd be surprised if FE did not get another AT, though.
You're right. The second FE AT probably should come from a FE game aside from Awakening even though I personally consider Tiki the best choice for a second AT.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
That would just be super wrong. The New 3DS is currently a Japan-only console, so it would just be mean if only the Japanese are able to utilize such bonus content.
they have said that the console would be released internationally 2015. In this scenario, the DLC would be made available when it's accessible everywhere. The question is how would you feel if there was DLC exclusive to the new 3DS.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
they have said that the console would be released internationally 2015. In this scenario, the DLC would be made available when it's accessible everywhere. The question is how would you feel if there was DLC exclusive to the new 3DS.
Not really a good move, as it basically forces you to have to buy a new 3DS, along with the DLC as well.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
No offense intended to Riki, he's probably the best and most unique choice for an Xenoblade AT. I'm just hoping they don't go the route of "we already made the model so lets make Chrom an AT to save time".
I think (and I hope many others agree) that Reyn is an AT. That way when he pops out, we can listen to that glorious one liner that he busts out all the time.

If you dont know about Reyn time, I suggest educating yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuxrG94yY5I

That face is beautiful.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
If you want to link to a REYN TIME video

This is the best

MAN WHATA BUNCHA JOKERS

Last edited:

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
Dixie Kong is my favorite DK character, but overall I personally think K. Rool is far, far more likely than Dixie Kong. The only arbitrary things going for Dixie Kong are various leaks (all of which are fake), Tropical Freeze (which isn't getting representation and Sakurai likely had no idea it was in development at the start of this game's development), and the Forbidden 7, which we know was due to her being planned as part of a tag team with Diddy Kong that got scrapped.

K. Rool is not merely far more popular than Dixie Kong. He's also the #3 MOST REQUESTED character for Smash Bros. in both Japan and the west. The only arbitrary reasons against K. Rool (recency, Nintendo doesn't care about the Kremlings anymore, Nintendo doesn't own the Kremlings) are completely dead arguments. I personally think K. Rool is the #2 most likely newcomer left (not on the leak obviously), and the #4 most likely character overall. Although there's still the chance of getting both, and I'd love to see that, I still think K. Rool is more likely as a whole.

Agreed with both Mewtwo and Wolf. I think Ice Climbers are blatantly gone, personally. If we were to have one new franchise represented, I think its Golden Sun, I really do. Toon Zelda? I think her chances are dead as well.

But, well, that's your opinion, so its fine. We'll see how things go.
All of your points about the Donkey Kong franchise are valid and well thought out. I'm not one to use petty arguments such as those to make a character seem any less likely than they are. Not accusing you of thinking this or anything, but keep in mind that I never said K. Rool's chances were abysmal or anything. I just said that I think Dixie was more likely. K. Rool can still make it in before Dixie, but I'm just having a difficult time picturing it. But like you said, everything I wrote in my post was just my opinion.

I don't think Toon Zelda's chances are anywhere near dead. In fact I think the opposite. As more and more information is released, I'm finding more reasons that support her possible inclusion. The latest reasons I've thought of are the fact that Toon Link is on the (apparent) starting roster this time around instead of being unlockable. I've always thought that he was very likely to become unlockable again. Just seems odd to me. Perhaps TZ is there to take his place? The other reason is that the last couple characters to be unlocked in Brawl were semi-clones. If you notice, the newcomers I listed that I thought still had a chance were semi-clone material. It would make sense seeing as we haven't had any semi-clone additions to the roster. Just clones. Maybe it all means nothing; or maybe it means something, but either way I don't think it's a good idea to refer to a character's chances as dead if they haven't been blatantly disconfirmed. Instead you should give me reasoning and state your case. Just like you did with K. Rool. I'll definitely listen as I enjoy getting feedback on my perspective. Helps me iron out any inconsistencies that I may not have thought of.

But don't just say that Sakurai wouldn't add three Zeldas to the roster. Can't tell you how many times I've read that one. :laugh:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I hate Toon Zelda, I would rather have that spot who's at least decently requested like Dark Pit and (debatably) Dr. Mario than giving the roster spot to Toon Zelda. Then again, the Phantom Knight might indicate her inclusion, or at least was considered. ;-;

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I thought Reyn was an AT before Riki, and if Reyn is an AT, I'd be surprised if other more prominent Nintendo franchises didn't get more AT's either. Donkey Kong should probably have at least 3 AT's, so should Fire Emblem. Sakurai wanted to increase the number of AT's greatly as well.

All of your points about the Donkey Kong franchise are valid and well thought out. I'm not one to use petty arguments such as those to make a character seem any less likely than they are. Not accusing you of thinking this or anything, but keep in mind that I never said K. Rool's chances were abysmal or anything. I just said that I think Dixie was more likely. K. Rool can still make it in before Dixie, but I'm just having a difficult time picturing it. But like you said, everything I wrote in my post was just my opinion.

I don't think Toon Zelda's chances are anywhere near dead. In fact I think the opposite. As more and more information is released, I'm finding more reasons that support her possible inclusion. The latest reasons I've thought of are the fact that Toon Link is on the (apparent) starting roster this time around instead of being unlockable. I've always thought that he was very likely to become unlockable again. Just seems odd to me. Perhaps TZ is there to take his place? The other reason is that the last couple characters to be unlocked in Brawl were semi-clones. If you notice, the newcomers I listed that I thought still had a chance were semi-clone material. It would make sense seeing as we haven't had any semi-clone additions to the roster. Just clones. Maybe it all means nothing; or maybe it means something, but either way I don't think it's a good idea to refer to a character's chances as dead if they haven't been blatantly disconfirmed. Instead you should give me reasoning and state your case. Just like you did with K. Rool. I'll definitely listen as I enjoy getting feedback on my perspective. Helps me iron out any inconsistencies that I may not have thought of.

But don't just say that Sakurai wouldn't add three Zeldas to the roster. Can't tell you how many times I've read that one. :laugh:
I grew up playing the DK games more than anything else, with Zelda right behind it. I love both franchises, although as a whole I've grown to love Zelda more over the years, but I still love the DK franchise quite a bit, as well. Granted, if Rare hadn't been bought out I'd have probably to love the DK franchise a lot more, but that buyout cause a severe lack of DK platformers for years until Returns brought it back into the spotlight. Other than Diddy Kong Racing I never got into the DK spinoffs.

So yeah, I do know a lot about the series.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
AT priority list:
1. Elite Beat Agents/Ouendan (Since we live in a depressing world where they're not playable)
2. Who cares

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So. At least one character has to be cut, out of 6 choices: Lucas, Ice Climbers, Ivysaur, Snake, Squirtle or Wolf.
My guess is that Ivysaur is cut for sure, and potentially Snake and Squirtle (He's still relevant, despite Greninja, I feel)

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
So. At least one character has to be cut, out of 6 choices: Lucas, Ice Climbers, Ivysaur, Snake, Squirtle or Wolf.
My guess is that Ivysaur is cut for sure, and potentially Snake and Squirtle (He's still relevant, despite Greninja, I feel)
Personally, and unfortunately, I think all of them except Wolf are cut at this point. If I had to pick one other who might still have a chance at playability, I'd say Lucas, but not even Ness is a starter at this point, which bodes very badly for Lucas. Ice Climbers have been starters for two games straight. I could buy Lucas being converted to unlockable after only one game of being a starter, but not Ice Climbers.

If I had to pick one character I personally would keep, though, it'd be Ice Climbers.

Last edited:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Snake, Ivysaur, Squirtle, and Lucas I say are probably cut. Wolf is a lock. With four slots probably left, I don't see a reason to get rid of him. And I think Sakurai made the Ice Climbers work, or he's ready to give a huge apology and explanation.

My reason for thinking Ice Climbers are hidden/unlockable, is because in Brawl, the last three unlocked were the last characters finished. I think Ice Climbers will be the last ones done.

In other news my Professor brought up 4Chan today. He claimed it's only purpose is for leaked Sex tapes. I of course laughed and realized he doesn't give a crap about Nintendo.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Snake is a legend.

Why the **** would anyone want to cut him? Sakurai failed.

D

Deleted member

In other news my Professor brought up 4Chan today. He claimed it's only purpose is for leaked Sex tapes. I of course laughed and realized he doesn't give a crap about Nintendo.
Best bit is, that's not 4chan that leaked the nude pics that have been all the buzz...It's reddit

Snake is a legend.

Why the **** would anyone want to cut him? Sakurai failed.
People think Snake's going to be cut because Sakurai said something about only 3 third party characters, though that may of been for Brawl only

Last edited by a moderator:

Burruni

Smash Hero
I think most of us came to :snake: being faded away into not being possible with all the play up of the two newcomer 3rd parties, :4megaman::4pacman:, how early :4sonic: was shown off, how much the factor of these third parties with :4mario: meant for gaming, and the... I believe it was the digital download card or something of the sort showing off the trio of third party characters.

:ivysaur::squirtle: were basically dropped in hope since :4charizard:. Squirtle especially because of :4greninja:. Sadly, odds are we are not getting Sceptile to carry on the grass torch, but... there's really not hope for them to return.

:lucas::wolf: have always been iffy ground on being cut or not due to how polarized people are over the thought. This leak only made it worse. I stand firm that at least one of them is coming back... leaning towards Lucas. I see a series going from 3 to 2 more likely than 2 to 1.

:popo::icsmelee: were something very few people still doubted once :rosalina: was confirmed and just got unburied from the grave because someone at the ESRB who didn't have a full roster knew they were cut... or that's how the story goes. The separation of transforming characters and :4olimar:'s Pikmin count were tied into the way to make sure the 3DS could run them... this leak is the only real reason why people think that they couldn't have figured out a way to retain the NES ambassador through similar "tricks." Reasons/Excuses have primarily been the "polygon count" of Nana's model or her AI. But I think running dozens of Smash Run enemies would put a similar strain... I have strong belief they aren't going anywhere.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

Well one thing she also has in her favour is the return of Dr. Mario who was a planned character for Brawl. As well as the reimplementation of Kirby's planned side special and apparent battle damage for certain characters. So Toon Zelda (As well as Mewtwo and Dixie Kong) should have been at least reconsidered at some point.

I hate Toon Zelda, I would rather have that spot who's at least decently requested like Dark Pit and (debatably) Dr. Mario than giving the roster spot to Toon Zelda. Then again, the Phantom Knight might indicate her inclusion, or at least was considered. ;-;
To be fair, if we count Dark Pit and Dr. Mario as "decently requested" then she has at least a bit of a small following in Japan who wanted her which kinda got her behind Ghirahim in terms of Zelda newcomer support. At least if Chronobounds findings was anything to go by....

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
People think Snake's going to be cut because Sakurai said something about only 3 third party characters, though that may of been for Brawl only
Oh, there's an easy solution then.

Replace one of the current 3rd parties.

I need my husbando

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Well one thing she also has in her favour is the return of Dr. Mario who was a planned character for Brawl. As well as the reimplementation of Kirby's planned side special and apparent battle damage for certain characters. So Toon Zelda (As well as Mewtwo and Dixie Kong) must have been at least considered at some point.

To be fair, if we include Dark Pit and Dr. Mario as "decently requested" then she has a bit of a following in Japan who wanted her which kinda got her behind Ghirahim in terms of support. At least if Chronobounds findings was anything to go by....
Woah. Woah. Woah.

What evidence is there Doc was going to be in Brawl? My knowledge was that, of the 6 clones, :ganondorf::falco: made the cut, :toonlink: filled in someone's shoes, and :mewtwopm::roypm: were planned as part of the forbidden 7.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Best bit is, that's not 4chan that leaked the nude pics that have been all the buzz...It's reddit

Lolwut? I have never once seen ANYONE think that "Sakurai said" only 3 third party characters. I've never heard that brought up ever.

People think Snake is gone for numerous reasons:
1.) He doesn't really fit that well into Smash Bros. He's too realistic and gritty of a character.
2.) Snake should've been announced a long time ago. Sonic was announced almost a year ago now.
3.) Kojima stated he had no idea if Snake was in the game in early Spring. He was "not working on that game."
4.) Why should Nintendo promote Metal Gear if they aren't going to put the games on their consoles? Sakurai may not have had any say in this choice.
5.) All three known third-party characters are starters. Why would Snake be the only unlockable one?

Snake is gone. The only way he's in this time is if he's DLC.

Woah. Woah. Woah.

What evidence is there Doc was going to be in Brawl? My knowledge was that, of the 6 clones, :ganondorf::falco: made the cut, :toonlink: filled in someone's shoes, and :mewtwopm::roypm: were planned as part of the forbidden 7.
Dr. Mario, Roy, Mewtwo, Dixie Kong, Toon Zelda, Toon Sheik, and Plusl/Minl are the Forbidden 7.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Woah. Woah. Woah.

"The forbidden seven" consisted of Mewtwo, Roy, Dr. Mario, Dixie Kong, Toon Zelda, Toon Sheik and Pra_Mai.

Here you can see it listed at the Smash Wiki. http://www.ssbwiki.com/Beta_elements_(SSBB)

Burruni

Smash Hero
Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
By the way, I just had something to say about the 3DS roster CSS potentially "deconfirming" characters:

Don't.

The Roster CSS doesn't make sense NOW. People thought that All-Star Mode was evidence against character inclusions, then we figured out that it means absolutely nothing at all. Same thing goes for the roster CSS. It'll make sense once its final, the layout doesn't hint at or hint against any characters whatsoever. We should completely ignore the roster CSS in our speculations. For all we know, certain characters already reorganize depending on who is unlocked at the time, most probably the franchises that only have 1-2 characters.

Another thing we DO know is that the final row does not appear to be filled in as the roster grows, rather, additional rows/columns expand instead. I think it'd be the same case here; the fifth row is filled in, and if there's more than that, a new column will be added rather than characters being added to that final row. Shulk is probably alongside the third-parties because, even though Nintendo owns him, they're acting as if he's a similar case to Diddy Kong prior to the Rare buyout; he was really "Rare's" character rather than Nintendo's character, and they likely consider Shulk to be "Monolith's" character rather than Nintendo's character as well, even if they technically own both.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I thought Plusle & Minun were 6 and 7 and Doc was the one clone that wasn't planned to return. I was just ignorant. My bad.
Well we don't really know who Pra_Mai really is, there's all sorts of theories going around but I think it being Plusle and Minun is pretty unlikely....

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure Both squirtle and Ivysaur are cut, and snake is Most likely cut at this point.
The other three have a fairly good shot at not being cut.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Now I honestly think Snake is gone for the same reasons for the same reasons Lucas and Wolf are gone, since there's barely any Metal Gear games coming out (Aside from Snake Eater 3-D), he's probably going to be cut for marketing reasons, only he's not a clone he was planned to be cut from the beginning.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Well we don't really know who Pra_Mai really is, there's all sorts of theories going around but I think it being Plusle and Minun is unlikely....
It still seems interesting though, thanks to Plusle's and Minun's Japanese names. If Plusle and Minun were planned, they probably would've played similar to the Ice Climbers, but if they're together, their attacks would deal more damage (this would reference the Plus and Minus abilities).

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
It's still seems interesting though, thanks to Plusle's and Minun's Japanese names. If Plusle and Minun were planned, they probably would've played similar to the Ice Climbers, but if they're together, their attacks would deal more damage (this would reference the Plus and Minus abilities).
Yeah they would have probably had an interesting gameplay if they where indeed planned. One of the main reason's I'm not so sure of them being planned is that they apparently share the same file. Despite that the Ice Climbers have their own separate files and all.... (And perhaps Diddy and Dixie Kong who apparently meant to be in a tag team originally if I recall correctly)

Last edited:

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Do you guys think that the part about cut characters in the leak was false and that Wolf and Lucas could still have a chance?

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Now I honestly think Snake is gone for the same reasons for the same reasons Lucas and Wolf are gone, since there's barely any Metal Gear games coming out (Aside from Snake Eater 3-D), he's probably going to be cut for marketing reasons, only he's not a clone he was planned to be cut from the beginning.
I think you're a bit obsessed with marketing there. It doesn't have nearly as much sway in character decisions as you think.
Snake was in the exact same position as he was in Brawl, a single old port, his next game coming to non-Nintendo consoles, etc. Sakurai has made it clear that he added Snake because he and Kojima wanted to, and Kojima clearly still wants Snake.

Snake will certainly be DLC if he's not in the game.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I doubt that Lucas and Wolf will be gone for the same reasons that Snake was cut. They would only be cut if there is not enough development time for them. Some characters in Super Smash brothers have hung around without any games for years. In this case, only Snake's cut from the roster makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom