• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Let me just point it down to this: People justify Dr.Mario's inclusion over Mewtwo's due to their Melee viability. Amongst other bull**** reasonings.
Ridley is too big, or so I've heard.

I don't get why they have the same roster. Couldn't they pull a Pokemon type thing?

I do however think it's Ridley, Mewtwo, Ice Climbers and Wolf three of which would for sure 've finished last.
Eh, it depends. I guess starting with harder characters would be better because you'll know earlier in development what the limitations are and such.

Gre ninja'd

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1693-2965-0889
Does anyone here think Mach rider has a chance? I think bowser jr took his spot if anything, because how I would've made Mach rider is how bowser jr was made, but does anyone think that Mach rider could be different than bowser jr?

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Does anyone here think Mach rider has a chance? I think bowser jr took his spot if anything, because how I would've made Mach rider is how bowser jr was made, but does anyone think that Mach rider could be different than bowser jr?
If Sakurai wants Mach Rider in the game like he wanted Pit, then he will try to make Mach Rider happen.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
What do you think the likelihood of Smash Bros getting a New Super Luigi U style expansion a year or two down the line is?

Did we ever find out what that Smash Bros 6 Namco job listing was all about?

Last edited:

silvR1995

Smash Journeyman
NNID
silvRboLt1995
3DS FC
0834-0571-4339
Ladies and gents, I've done it. I've come up with the final roster for Sm4sh. ...I hope.

image.jpg

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
He's still viable, Sakurai loves the guy, and he's gotten increasingly creative with his movesets, even since brawl, if he's eer gonna be in, it's now.

Zynux

Smash Lord
Just wait until the full roster is revealed. That's when the fun begins. :evil::demon:
Oh boy! I can't wait for the salt! :dazwa:

All of this could have been avoided if he wasn't so stubbornly insistent on his "both versions must have the same roster!" philosophy when it simply doesn't make sense. If the 3DS version cannot handle the Ice Climbers, simply just make them Wii U exclusives.
This. There was no reason for this arbitrary limitation.

It almost makes you think that Sakurai rushed the game development again.
Considering that they're working on two versions at once (which is never a good idea), some possible evidence of roster padding (with the clones) while other more unique characters may have been shafted possibly because of time constraints (Wolf, Lucas, Ice Climbers), and that depressing 3DS stage selection filled with past stages (assuming that is the final stage select screen, hopefully it's not), I'm willing to believe there's some truth to it.

Even with such a large team, I will be surprised if the development for this game was "smooth."

I will admit and give credit though, I'm relatively surprised and impressed how much characters they were able to add already.

I don't see Mach Rider comparable to Bowser Jr. at all. I always thought Mach Rider would use his momentum from his bike to base his moveset around, and to dictate how fast and how much damage he causes.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Ridley is too big, or so I've heard.

Eh, it depends. I guess starting with harder characters would be better because you'll know earlier in development what the limitations are and such.
Well I think they were started early, but they are so tough to program that they still get done last. Mewtwo might be the last unlocked also because of his popularity. Not sure.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Guys, I'm gonna throw this out as my "submission to the leak" roster. Here's what I'll stand by until proven wrong... which will likely be in two weeks.

The only Brawl cuts were those that the majority of the community came to terms with before this leak (:squirtle::ivysaur::snake:).

Marshal is still my prefered Rhythm Heaven character over Chorus Kids for reasons I've stated countless times.

Bandana Dee is the last Kirby character that the series will need for over a decade (so you get him out of the way now), has made himself iconic enough in his own series alongside the moveset potential to justify him having a placement in the roster.

For DK Fans, I'm sorry this means that it would be left to just two.

For Pokemon fans such as myself, no Sceptile to complete the starter trinity and bring some love to gen 3 in representatives and Mewtwo still doesn't return for the difficulty getting him in the game with a moveset that works well and doesn't cause Project M legal actions.

Star Fox, Mother fans. You keep your footing.

I'd love to swap Dr. Mario for King K. Rool, but I'm trying to stay true to my hopes that are within reason due to this leak.

This is obviously the Wii U lineup.

Last edited:

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Guys, I'm gonna throw this out as my "submission to the leak" roster. Here's what I'll stand by until proven wrong... which will likely be in two weeks.

The only Brawl cuts were those that the majority of the community came to terms with before this leak (:squirtle::ivysaur::snake:).

Marshal is still my prefered Rhythm Heaven character over Chorus Kids for reasons I've stated countless times.

Bandana Dee is the last Kirby character that the series will need for over a decade (so you get him out of the way now), has made himself iconic enough in his own series alongside the moveset potential to justify him having a placement in the roster.

For Pokemon fans such as myself, no Sceptile to complete the starter trinity and bring some love to gen 3 in representatives and Mewtwo still doesn't return for the difficulty getting him in the game with a moveset that works well and doesn't cause Project M legal actions.

I'd love to swap Dr. Mario for King K. Rool, but I'm trying to stay true to my hopes that are within reason due to this leak.

Sorry, not to bash you, but Banana weenie over a DK rep seems unnessecary. A series should get proper representation before another series gets saturated (barring clone saturation, so unless banana is a clone, then I consider his priority lower than 'underrepped' series

EDIT: I'm not crazy about Sopo, and most Ice climbers fans wouldn't like their uniquiety sacraficed to save face. I could take it or leave it

Last edited:

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
That makes sense!

So, thoughts about Popo by himself or Marshall or clones not leaked. That includes newcomers.
Popo by himself would destroy the appeal of his inclusion in the first place. Without Nana, you have a simple ****** with some ice powers and a recovery that's obviously going to need to be rethought. How would he even fare on his own without considerable adjustments? Sounds like SoPo would present his own challenges.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Sorry, not to bash you, but Banana weenie over a DK rep seems unnessecary. A series should get proper representation before another series gets saturated (barring clone saturation, so unless banana is a clone, then I consider his priority lower than 'underrepped' series
Unnecessary, you say? What is "proper representation" is all up to personal opinion. Kirby getting a 4th character is saturated? Why? Because it's someone who, like Rosalina, has a lot of people behind them, have been surging up from the most recent titles of a game, and are making themselves a new staple for their franchise?

Going off the fairly-popular stance that Tropical Freeze is "Too recent" to apply for a character's chances in the game, the most evident representation for DK would be off of DKC Returns and its 3DS port. In that, only Donkey and Diddy were the Kongs that were in there besides the deconfirmed Cranky.

Kirby has been one of the "Big 4" franchises along Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon since Melee and was one of the "Big 2" in 64 alongside Mario himself, and has been constantly been distributing many popular and well-selling games. Like DK, it took Kirby until Brawl to get newcomers, but Kirby had one planned since back on the N64.

DK had a stretch of time of being a fairly minor Nintendo franchise after height of SNES-N64 all the way until Returns while Kirby has been a predominant franchise since the NES to 3DS.

I admit, DK is lacking. That's why it would be my third choice for a newcomer to represent it. But I feel that Kirby getting Bandana Dee would be better for its series than Donkey Kong getting whom they most likely would if they were to receive one this game, Dixie, who would likely be a semi-clone of Diddy.

But in the end, all of this is fairly moot because this is meant to be my hope roster.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Unnecessary, you say? What is "proper representation" is all up to personal opinion. Kirby getting a 4th character is saturated? Why? Because it's someone who, like Rosalina, has a lot of people behind them, have been surging up from the most recent titles of a game, and are making themselves a new staple for their franchise?

Going off the fairly-popular stance that Tropical Freeze is "Too recent" to apply for a character's chances in the game, the most evident representation for DK would be off of DKC Returns and its 3DS port. In that, only Donkey and Diddy were the Kongs that were in there besides the deconfirmed Cranky.

Kirby has been one of the "Big 4" franchises along Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon since Melee and was one of the "Big 2" in 64 alongside Mario himself, and has been constantly been distributing many popular and well-selling games. Like DK, it took Kirby until Brawl to get newcomers, but Kirby had one planned since back on the N64.

DK had a stretch of time of being a fairly minor Nintendo franchise after height of SNES-N64 all the way until Returns while Kirby has been a predominant franchise since the NES to 3DS.

I admit, DK is lacking. That's why it would be my third choice for a newcomer to represent it. But I feel that Kirby getting Bandana Dee would be better for its series than Donkey Kong getting whom they most likely would if they were to receive one this game, Dixie, who would likely be a semi-clone of Diddy.

But in the end, all of this is fairly moot because this is meant to be my hope roster.
Well it is your hype roster not mine. And I'm incredibly biased against banana weenie, so I guess there's no point in arguing. But I will throw out there that Dixie and Rool are more important to DK than Banana is to Kirby. Hell, Banana is on par with Cranky or Funky

ihskeyp

Smash Ace

I will already be upset if Bowser Jr/Dark Pit get in b4 a new DK rep, but if Bandana Dee also does, I'd probably explode.

FalcoPaunch!121

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5386-9681-7388

EDIT: I'm not crazy about Sopo, and most Ice climbers fans wouldn't like their uniquiety sacraficed to save face. I could take it or leave it
WRRROOOOOONG! BD is so awesome and deserving!

Roster:
:4mario::4luigi::4peach::rosalina::4bowser::substitute::4dk::4diddy::substitute::wario: :4yoshi:
:4link::4tlink::4zelda::substitute::4sheik::ganondorf::4pit::4palutena::substitute::4samus::4zss:
:4pikachu::4charizard::4greninja::substitute::4lucario::jigglypuff::4kirby::4dedede::4metaknight::substitute::gw:
:4marth::4myfriends::4lucina::4robinm::ness2::lucas::4falcon::substitute::4shulk::substitute::4wiifit:
:4villager::4olimar::4littlemac::popo::rob::substitute::drmario::4megaman::4sonic::4pacman:Random

1: Jr.
2: Dixie
3:Toon Zelda
4: Pittoo
5:Sceptile
6: BD
7:BS
8:DHD
9:Marshall

If there is a blank spot between Meta Knight and Sonic it is the Shulk icon.

Last edited:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725

Roster:
:4mario::4luigi::4peach::rosalina::4bowser::substitute::4dk::4diddy::substitute::wario: :4yoshi:
:4link::4tlink::4zelda::substitute::4sheik::ganondorf::4pit::4palutena::substitute::4samus::4zss:
:4pikachu::4charizard::4greninja::substitute::4lucario::jigglypuff::4kirby::4dedede::4metaknight::substitute::gw:
:4marth::4myfriends::4lucina::4robinm::ness2::lucas::4falcon::substitute::4shulk::substitute::4wiifit:
:4villager::4olimar::4littlemac::popo::rob::substitute::drmario::4megaman::4sonic::4pacman:Random

I no longer understand having Black Shadow. The leak confirmed Ganondorf is still a clone. And Sceptile will not be getting in over Mewtwo.

silvR1995

Smash Journeyman
NNID
silvRboLt1995
3DS FC
0834-0571-4339

Roster:

Silly me, I forgot about Bowser Jr...

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054

Roster:

That would be fine and dandy, if the StarFox series was in there at all :D

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
If they invited a P:M primary (or exclusive) player such as Boss, Coney, or Pink Fresh, this would also acknowledge the product. Sakurai and Nintendo have basically played dumb to it because they don't want to shut it down, it is something for the fans by the fans and doesn't directly interfere with their products.
PeachyHime was actually a PM player, all of her achievements in the smash scene were PM based so they simply omitted the achievements section from her profile.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
I just don't understand why the Wii U and 3DS versions absolutely must have the same roster. Would it really be so hard to have the Ice Climbers on the Wii U version only and just say they didn't work on the 3DS? It'd be frustrating sure, but it would still be possible to play as them. That would be preferable to "You've used ICs for thirteen years? Well, not anymore.".

Sigh... Pigley. Seriously.Stinks.Like.A.Space.Pirate. Why do people want a Charizard clone!
Sigh... Mega Man. Seriously.Stinks.Like.A.Robot. Why do people want a Samus clone!

Last edited:

Zynux

Smash Lord
"Ridley isn't on the roster. Why? Because if he was, he would have been screened by the ESRB. Big scary dragons do that for some reason."

I keep seeing people make this argument. You've got to be kidding me. People are still clinging to this fallacious reasoning, while also conveniently ignoring the lack of Duck Hunt footage which could possible be screened for Cruelty to animals? :facepalm:

Ridley's design does not need to be under the ESRB. Why would it? Name one bulletin of the ESRB that Ridley would fall under. Being "big", "scary", and "dragon" are not legit ESRB ratings. Not to mention the fact that Ridley's design isn't any more grotesque or graphic then any other monster, nor are the actions that he's displayed in the games are any more violent then any other Villain.

It's one thing to think Ridley may not be playable (which is a plausible opinion, and may be true unfortunately) but good lord that argument is faaar worst then the "Too Big" argument ever was. Yeah, it's that bad.

Please, I beg of you, if you are a Ridley detractor out there, never use that argument if you have half a Mother Brain. It doesn't hold up. At all.

Sigh... Pigley. Seriously.Stinks.Like.A.Space.Pirate. Why do people want a Charizard clone!
Heh. Reminds of what they used to say about Megaman and Samus. Seems awfully familiar.

I no longer understand having Black Shadow. The leak confirmed Ganondorf is still a clone. And Sceptile will not be getting in over Mewtwo.
I was never a huge supporter of Black Shadow, but Black Shadow was probably the most perfect way to fix the Falcondorf clone problem. A shame it never came to be.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom