• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
Name me some fitting content from DKC that Sakurai can add in Smash Bros while also overlapping the amount of KI content has.

Still it doesn't mean the KI is officially over unless Nintendo says otherwise, it still can't be used as an excuse.

The capabilities argument is pointless IMO, considering Wolf is a clone of Fox. Because of the new Nintendo games coming out, it's pretty obvious that Dark Pit and Lucina are being used to help advertise Smash Bros. Because they are relevant, new, and popular characters, they are the reason why they are taking the opportunity as the last minute clones instead of Lucas and Wolf, whose series doesn't seem to be pretty active in marketing.

And Sakurai didn't add Dr. Mario for nothing you know, he was not just added because he was an easy filler clone to fill out in Melee and in Smash 4. His series was very big, popular, and critically acclaimed, unlike Panel de Pon, Lip being the superior puzzle character is laughable.
Every Kremling enemy ever could fit in Smash Run + K. Rool + Dixie Kong + Chunky Kong assist trophy + Funky Kong assist trophy + animal buddy crates as items + DKCR stages + new DKC/64 stages, need I go on? Seems to more than overlap already.

Edit: Just look at this and see what things would have been like if Sakurai got his hands on the DK series instead of KI.

Last edited:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
You, by dear friend, are going slightly cuckoo in the head. No offense, but Ridley? Playable? :rotfl:

5 more characters, RH rep (including RH Girl), :wolf:, :lucas:, :mewtwopm:, and :popo:. If 6, maybe Lloyd Irving??? No? Anyone?

:drmario: is a clone. If people need a spot to fill the roster, add K Rool, or better yet, Black Shadow with :ganondorf:'s moveset.
I heard a guy who leaked info about Shulk said Ridley was indeed playable. You call me cuckoo and then mention Lloyd Irving......

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
it's probably because KI has so many potential things that translate well in Smash.
Compared to DKC, there isn't much notable and fitting content that's that could Sakurai add aside from Klaptraps.
Theres plenty that can transfer over into Smash from DK. Its just Sakurai chooses not to. Dont believe me?

Gnawty (generic walking enemy)
Army (rolls around)
Klaptrap(smaller enemy low to the ground)
Klump (large enemy that could throw grenades, can take punishment)
Kritter and all variations (walking, jumping, pattern jumping, etc.)
Krusha (which I believe is in smash run already)
Necky( bird with different patterns, can shoot coconuts)
Rockkroc (my favorite, has the stop and go barrels, could be used in special events where you have to touch the barrels to attack continuously)
Zinger (the hornet things)
Slippa (generic snake enemy)

Thats just off the top of my head from the first game. And I didnt even talk potential bosses as harder enemies, or animal friends like Rambi which could also be potential enemies or features.

And even if these enemies are considered "generic," keep in mind that 9 out of 10 enemies will most likely just approach and attack you when they come on screen.

Any kongs or animal friends could work as ATs and trophies as well.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Name me some fitting content from DKC that Sakurai can add in Smash Bros while also overlapping the amount of KI content has.

Still it doesn't mean the KI is officially over unless Nintendo says otherwise, it still can't be used as an excuse.

The capabilities argument is pointless IMO, considering Wolf is a clone of Fox. Because of the new Nintendo games coming out, it's pretty obvious that Dark Pit and Lucina are being used to help advertise Smash Bros. Because they are relevant, new, and popular characters, they are the reason why they are taking the opportunity as the last minute clones instead of Lucas and Wolf, whose series doesn't seem to be pretty active in marketing.

And Sakurai didn't add Dr. Mario for nothing you know, he was not just added because he was an easy filler clone to fill out in Melee and in Smash 4. His series was very big, popular, and critically acclaimed because of those reasons, he was feasible as a character choice in the roster, unlike Panel de Pon, Lip being the superior puzzle character is laughable.
Wolf didn't get in due to advertisement reasons so the relevancy arguments never made any sense against him.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Man **** Dr. Mario.

They should add the superior Doctor.

We need a clone of the best character after all. Sakurai owes me one.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
It doesn't look good for Kid Icarus since it is showing signs of the same road that Mother has already headed down. It is not officially over, but it does not bold well.

The capabilities argument is pointless IMO, considering Wolf is a clone of Fox.
And there is your mistake, he is a quasi clone who only shares similarities in his Neutral B and Down B.

Because of the new Nintendo games coming out, it's pretty obvious that Dark Pit and Lucina are being used to help advertise Smash Bros. Because they are relevant, new, and popular characters, they are the reason why they are taking the opportunity as the last minute clones instead of Lucas and Wolf, whose series doesn't seem to be pretty active in marketing.
Dark Pit and Lucina are being used, not mainly because they are new, but because they are easy to put in the game. It is not about series activity; otherwise, we would not have gotten same major characters in this iteration.

If Wolf and Lucas gets cut, it is because of Time Constraints. Nothing else, nothing more.

And Sakurai didn't add Dr. Mario for nothing you know, he was not just added because he was an easy filler clone to fill out in Melee and in Smash 4.
That is the reason he was added. He needed someone to fill a spot, Dr. Mario was the easiest one since he is Mario in a Doctor's Suit.

His series was very big, popular, and critically acclaimed, unlike Panel de Pon, Lip being the superior puzzle character is laughable.
It is not laughable, because Lip was not seen by Nintendo of America as a good enough mascot; otherwise, she would not have had her games plastered over by Pokemon Puzzle Games the like.

If Dr. Mario is big like you say, it is only because he had nobody trying to stop him from achieving that goal. Mario is widely accepted by everyone, whereas a new character like Lip did not get faith in her by Nintendo of America.

In response to bold: What got you thinking about superiority? Dr. Mario is not the definitive Puzzle Genre of Nintendo, because he is Mario in a Doctor Suit. Lip is a character that never got the chance to be welcomed in North America, because Nintendo of America thought it was easier to slap Pokemon over her.

Using sales as a way of showing "superiority", of course Dr. Mario is going to have more sales, he is freaking Mario.

And by your standards, putting Mario in a game like Star Fox and Punch Out, would make him the definitive franchise of those titles.

Morbi

Scavenger
So I guess this is my final prediction before the game comes out.

View attachment 23670

Thoughts?
Meh. Some people have problems with Dr. Mario and Dark Pit without Wolf or Lucas. I do not. However, I do have a problem with Dixie Kong or Impa before Lucas or Wolf.

Lucas does have a lot opposing him; Wolf on the other hand, has nothing that opposes his inclusion. In my not so humble opinion, it is outlandish to speculate in favor of his removal.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Using sales as a way of showing "superiority", of course Dr. Mario is going to have more sales, he is freaking Mario.

And by your standards, putting Mario in a game like Star Fox and Punch Out, would make him the definitive franchise of those titles.
Doesn't matter, it's still the most popular puzzle game from Nintendo's library. So what if it's because of Mario? That's not the point.

Last edited:

FalcoPaunch!121

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5386-9681-7388

Twin Shot

Smash Journeyman
I, for one, am really glad the Doc is in.

I can once again write prescriptions for KOs.

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
Gee. I never thought I'd see the "Not much to pull from" argument against Donkey Kong. I thought it was only wrongfully used for Pikmin. :glare:

It's almost like the "No moveset potential" argument but with overall representation.

ANYWAY

From what we've seen, what kind of character is Bowser Jr. looking like? I'm thinking maybe a medium weight character with some deceptive range on his attacks.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
From what we've seen, what kind of character is Bowser Jr. looking like? I'm thinking maybe a medium weight character with some deceptive range on his attacks.
His aerials have barely NO lag, and his air speed looks so damn fast.

He's the new Jigglypuff and Wario.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Doesn't matter, it's still the most popular puzzle game from Nintendo's library. So what if it's because of Mario? That's not the point.
That is what I mean though. Dr. Mario is the Puzzle Genre Spin off of the Mario Series. Lip is a Nintendo character created solely to be the main character in the Panel De Pon Puzzle Series. Not being a spin off series.

It is not about popularity and sales, but whether or not that character is a spin off series.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Gee. I never thought I'd see the "Not much to pull from" argument against Donkey Kong. I thought it was only wrongfully used for Pikmin. :glare:

It's almost like the "No moveset potential" argument but with overall representation.

ANYWAY

Deceptive range? I thought he was established as a character that fought using the clown car, there is nothing "deceptive" about launching cannon balls.

There is still a chance until he is officially disconfirmed. We'll find out in 2 weeks.
There is still a chance that he is "disconfirmed" before he is officially announced, you mean. :troll:

I, for one, am really glad the Doc is in.

I can once again write prescriptions for KOs.
Thank you, at least there is someone else that is sensible!

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
Deceptive range? I thought he was established as a character that fought using the clown car, there is nothing "deceptive" about launching cannon balls.
You misunderstand. I mean attacks that have more range than you would expect.

Last edited:

Weeman

Smash Crusader
His aerials have barely NO lag, and his air speed looks so damn fast.

He's the new Jigglypuff and Wario.
Wich makes a whole lot of sense, seeing that he is on the Clown car, i wouldn't be surprised if he could even hover.

There is still a chance until he is officially disconfirmed. We'll find out in 2 weeks.
Yes, but i ask becuase the leaker was apparently sure of IC, Lucas, and Wolf being gone, and i don't know if we can trust that.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
That is what I mean though. Dr. Mario is Puzzle Genre Spin off of the Mario Series. Lip is a Nintendo character created solely to be the main character in the Panel De Pon Puzzle Series. Not being a spin off series.

It is not about popularity and sales, but whether or not that character is a spin off series.
Well my argument is that Dr. Mario is a pretty big series on its own right, so it deserves representation. It's actually separate from the main Mario games, considering it's developed by a different team and uses absolutely no element from the main series (Mario aside) and vice versa.

I don't think it should be between Doc and Lip, in all honesty.

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
I would've rather had more interesting clone than Dr. Mario, but then again, he's a clone, so I don't really care if he's in or not because he most likely took little time to program.
However, i was just thinking, people always say Daisy and Waluigi have no chance at getting in bc they are 'spinoff characters'. Doesn't Dr. Mario contradict their argument?

Last edited:

mark welford

Smash Ace
could you guys be kind and help me out if wolf is not in the final roster by supporting #wolf4smash I am so worrisome and nervous right to the point of no sleep and bad bathroom uses over this one character.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Ganon? Why is Ganon iconic? There is far too much to cover, I do not want to take the lazy route out, but you should probably just read his wiki page. That way, I do not miss anything.

http://zeldawiki.org/Ganon
I was being facetious. Blue Pikmin asked about four times why King K rool was iconic, and then even after he was told, asked, why that meant he was iconic.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
However, inward just thinking, people always say Daisy and Waluigi have no chance at getting in bc they are 'spinoff characters'. Doesn't Dr. Mario contradict their argument?
Consider Dr. Mario as a spin off series akin to Yoshi, not the Mario Sports series. (In which Waluigi and Daisy aren't really the main characters of and are overshadowed by characters already in Smash)

Morbi

Scavenger
I would've rather had more interesting clone than Dr. Mario, but then again, he's a clone, so I don't really care if he's in or not because he most likely took little time to program.
However, i was just thinking, people always say Daisy and Waluigi have no chance at getting in bc they are 'spinoff characters'. Doesn't Dr. Mario contradict their argument?
Of course. However, people will make contradictory arguments if they do not want the characters in. You should have seen the anti-clone arguments regarding Dark Pit or Dr. Mario. Usually if you want them to shut up, you just post this paragraph, from the CREATIVE DIRECTOR, SAKURAI.

"However, even though Lucina shares her physical stats and techniques with Marth, the characteristics of their attacks differ. When two such similar characters function in an even slightly different manner, I give them a separate spot on the roster since that will affect battle records and whatnot. In that sense, you could say she was very lucky to join the fray!"

So if you want to refute the "no spin-offs" argument. Just post a picture of Dr. Mario or something.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Well my argument is that Dr. Mario is a pretty big series on its own right, so it deserves representation. It's actually separate from the main Mario games, considering it's developed by a different team and uses absolutely no element from the main series (Mario aside) and vice versa.

I don't think it should be between Doc and Lip, in all honesty.
It is a big series, but it is not the definitive series of the Puzzle Genre. Dr. Mario could get a stage or the like for representation, but literally being Mario in a Doctor's outfit makes sense as an Alternate Costume with pill effects.

It is not necessarily between Doc and Lip, but that Dr. Mario is not more "important" to Nintendo than Lip is.

It is like this:

Little Mac is the Nintendo Official Boxing Genre Mascot, switching him out with Mario would generate more sales, but would not take that title away from Little Mac, because that is Little Mac's role.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
We're talking about the same people who use these as arguments:
-Ridley can't cause he's too big
-K. Rool isn't relevant
-Dark Pit can't cause he's just Pit in black clothes
-Duck Hunt Dog would be impossible
-Rosalina is not that important
-Wolf isn't important to his series

So i'd say to not pay much attention to that.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
It is a big series, but it is not the definitive series of the Puzzle Genre. Dr. Mario could get a stage or the like for representation, but literally being Mario in a Doctor's outfit makes sense as an Alternate Costume with pill effects.

It is not necessarily between Doc and Lip, but that Dr. Mario is not more "important" to Nintendo than Lip is.

It is like this:

Little Mac is the Nintendo Official Boxing Genre Mascot, switching him out with Mario would generate more sales, but would not take that title away from Little Mac, because that is Little Mac's role.
No, it does not make sense to add a costume and give the costume different attributes. Hence the reason he is a character.

See the article posted above for why Sakurai feels this way. :troll:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I think Dr. Mario was a good choice for a clone character, not only as an homage to Melee but also to (hopefully) allow players to play as Mario with his old Down-B. Basically he's cool because he's a veteran, and is really the only cut clone character from Melee who has any merit to return since Young Link and Roy have basically been replaced and Pichu just kind of stinks. I think it's a bit silly judging clones off of the same criterias as unique characters, aka series importance and game success, since they really are just rushed characters, there's not much thought put into their inclusions, they're just icing on the cake.

Last edited:

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
Of course. However, people will make contradictory arguments if they do not want the characters in. You should have seen the anti-clone arguments regarding Dark Pit or Dr. Mario. Usually if you want them to shut up, you just post this paragraph, from the CREATIVE DIRECTOR, SAKURAI.

"However, even though Lucina shares her physical stats and techniques with Marth, the characteristics of their attacks differ. When two such similar characters function in an even slightly different manner, I give them a separate spot on the roster since that will affect battle records and whatnot. In that sense, you could say she was very lucky to join the fray!"

So if you want to refute the "no spin-offs" argument. Just post a picture of Dr. Mario or something.
I am still oblivious as to why there are so many people who hate clones. I understand hating Falcondorf, but the concept of clones stealing character slots and stuff is so ridiculous lol.
And yeah, I could use Dr Mario against the 'no spinoff ' people... Probably not for Waluigi or Daisy though since they are pretty unimportant even in the spinoffs lol.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
I think Dr. Mario was a good choice for a clone character, not only as an homage to Melee but also to (hopefully) allow players to play as Mario with his old Down-B. Basically he's cool because he's a veteran, and is really the only cut clone character from Melee who has any merit to return since Young Link and Roy have basically been replaced and Pichu just kind of stinks. I think it's a bit silly judging clones off of the same criterias as unique characters, aka series importance and game success, since they really are just rushed characters, there's not much thought put into their inclusions, they're just icing on the cake.
Also top tier Mario time :awesome:

Morbi

Scavenger
I would argue that Mewtwo has a little bit of merit. Just the tiniest bit of merit icing. :mewtwopm:

FalcoPaunch!121

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5386-9681-7388
If anyone wants clones, support Wolf and Lucas and Black Shadow!:happysheep:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom