• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Well then, K. Rool fills the gap of ranged heavyweight characters, Mewtwo fills the gap of characters with mind powers and Ridley fills the gap of big, flying characters.
How heavy is Megaman? Not trying to be sarcastic here, I'm curious.

"Mind Powers." Ahem. :ness2::lucas: Have "PSI" aka "PK" powers. Their throws DEFINITELY show off that.

"Big, flying, creatures." I can better narrow down that idea. "Big, flying reptiles with thin necks, are fairly draconic in design, and breathe fire." :4charizard: Got it.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I would pay twice the retail price of Smash Bros 3DS if Dixie's in. Not even kidding.
The fact we have to be this desperate for a DKC newcomer despite getting Kremlings in Smash Run is just... Ugh. :urg:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
We don't know the weights of the current newcomers, and I meant stuff that we haven't seen before.
Honestly, we lack Spears, Axes, Samurai, Pirates, and a real grappler. That's all I can think of... for fighting styles.
Yeah good point on weapons (not sure on Samurai or a Pirate though), and too right on grappler. That's actually one thing I've been craving for and it's still missing in Smash, but I forgot about it in my post.
Well then, K. Rool fills the gap of ranged heavyweight characters, Mewtwo fills the gap of characters with mind powers and Ridley fills the gap of big, flying characters.
Well I don't necessarily agree on that since we actually have an example of each of these (Snake(rip)/Dedede, Ness and Charizard/Dedede again, respectively) But yeah stuff like that.

I could see K.Rool actually being a stance character where each of his costumes (King, Pirate and Scientist) have different playstyles. It's different from transformation characters because his weight, speed, etc remain the same, where the only things change is his moves, and the idea is to incorporate all the stances together in some way instead of focusing on one. Think Amaterasu from MvC3 where she can switch to long range, mid range and short range. Though Sakurai seems against the ideas of stance characters which is a shame, because otherwise it's definitely one of the things missing. (Though I actually did consider transformation characters to be really close to that concept anyway despite each stance being completely different characters)

I could see Ridley filling the grappler gap, sorta. Even though I'd rather we get a traditional wrestling style grappler.

Last edited:

epicgordan

Smash Ace
Why the heck are Mewtwo and Ridley clones?
The theory being that they'd be quasi clones of Lucario and Charizard respectively. I'd imagine the main differences would be thus:

Mewtwo: No Aura mechanic, different side and up specials, psychic powers, and a greater emphasis on a chain grab.

Ridley: Aside from a few move changes, Ridley will operate strictly as a permanent aerial fighter; as such, no matter where he is, he will always have access to his Jabs, Tilts, Grabs, and Smash Attacks, even in the air. Given that both are dragons, it's not too farfetched to believe the two would have notable similarities.

It is common practice in fighting games to use another character as a base to speed up development of said character. Heck, this could theoretically apply to Impa, Dr. Mario (no F.L.U.D.D.), and Dixie Kong (especially) as well.

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
How heavy is Megaman? Not trying to be sarcastic here, I'm curious.

"Mind Powers." Ahem. :ness2::lucas: Have "PSI" aka "PK" powers. Their throws DEFINITELY show off that.

"Big, flying, creatures." I can beter explain. "Big, flying reptiles with thin necks, are fairly draconic in design, and breathe fire." :4charizard: Got it.
I don't know how heavy Mega Man is, but he's quite small. I want a huge, ranged character.

I'll give you Ness and Lucas, I completely forgot about them.

Charizard isn't big. He's 1.7 m tall (5 ft, if I'm not mistaken). That's not big. I'm taller than Charizard.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
We don't know the weights of the current newcomers, and I meant stuff that we haven't seen before.a

Yeah good point on weapons (not sure on Samurai or a Pirate though), and too right on grappler. That's actually one thing I've been craving for and it's still missing in Smash, but I forgot about it in my post.

Well I don't necessarily agree on that since we actually have an example of each of these (Dedede, Ness and Charizard/Dedede again, respectively) But yeah stuff like that.

I could see K.Rool actually being a stance character where each of his costumes (King, Pirate and Scientist) have different playstyles. It's different from transformation characters because his weight, speed, etc remain the same, where the only things change is his moves, and the idea is to incorporate all the stances together in some way instead of focusing on one. Think Amaterasu from MvC3 where she can switch to long range, mid range and short range. Though Sakurai seems against the ideas of stance characters which is a shame, because otherwise it's definitely one of the things missing. (Though I actually did consider transformation characters to be really close to that concept anyway despite each stance being completely different characters)

I could see Ridley filling the grappler gap, sorta. Even though I'd rather we get a traditional wrestling style grappler.
I think that sort of gimmick would be better for Isaac, where the Djinn can swap out and change his specials a bit.

Dixie as a light weight grappler is an interesting concept, but I can't shake they feeling she will be some what "Diddy inspired."

Ridley should be a tank on the ground. He actually should be a bit of a ranged heavy weight when not in flight.

Last edited:

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
The fact we have to be this desperate for a DKC newcomer despite getting Kremlings in Smash Run is just... Ugh. :urg:
I just want Dixie so much, though. My nostalgia levels were off the charts using her in Tropical Freeze (DKC2 & 3 were my childhood) and her being in smash would be so amazing.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Characters that I'd like to see to fill in the weapon, fighting style, character-archetype, and "art style" that we lack currently in Smash games. Just gonna put this out there for everyone.

Weapons

Spear:
Yeah. You saw it coming. The most logical 4th Kirby Rep. Spear Copter up special. A more aggressive version of Marth's Tipper mechanic. Why not?

Axe: Honestly... I don't know. I was hoping to see some of this from Radiant Dawn Ike, since it was his second weapon. Outside Fire Emblem... the only characters that were Axe Users in Nintendo games I can think of are farmers like Harvest Moon characters, Rune Factory Characters, or Villager, orrr the Axem Rangers from Super Mario RPG. I'd just love to see someone with a greataxe as a new heavy power character.

Fighting Styles

Grappler:
Yeah. Unless Wario gets more based on his Wario LAND games and WORLD, Hawlucha's the best option for a grappler-esque character from what I can pull off of for memory. Really, Bowser's the closest one here. Otherwise... Kumatora from Mother 3? A Magically-enhanced grapplre whose main weapon was just a pair of gloves? Not rich on ideas here.

Character "Themes" / Classes

Pirate:
Honestly, one of my favorite Zelda characters who could coast off of one game with a character-type theme like Sheik did with being a Ninja. Giving the "Toon" part of Zelda 1/3rd of the Franchise's representations seems fitting and would hopefully push for some more usage as a character in general. Who else is a

Samurai: ...Takamaru for smash 5. That's all I really have because Nintendo really hasn't used the Samurai archetype a lot. The closest thing are the SwordMasters of Fire Emblem and even I think the series is kinda at the limit for representation.

Art Style

Hand-Drawn Art Style
Just gimme someone from this series aleady! The Sneaky Spirit used the art style, so why not Marshal/Glee Club? (Glee Club being the english name for Chorus Men as a mini game). If :gw: can be like an LCD game, I don't see why not!

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
My point is that, I think most newcomers will be from new series. DLC may be from old series, but they may be more clone-ish, because many characters from the same franchise should have a little in common. That make sense to me now more than ever before. I have new hope for Isaac, for Lip, for Ray MK, for Chibi Robo. He wants new Mechanics, and will be searching far and wide.
This give me hope for Paper Mario as own series :)

Oh, btw, I want to point this out, but if you remember my tease theory, I claimed that it could be a tease setup by not revealing a WiiU stage to use it with a trailer since they always shows WiiU stage and even almost just WiiU.

Not going to state my reasons since I already did more than once, but the shulk trailer match this. Not only it's WiiU mostly (I even think it's just WiiU), but also a WiiU stage revealed.

Rosalina was showed in her stage that was teased prior.

Greninja had a WiiU stage reveal too.

Little Mac was literally a tease reveal with the 2 stages version.

Palutena was in her stage and again, tease was performed on her inclusion.

Same goes for the first trailer and WFT.

By that logic, if Ridley has a trailer which I think is likely, he would be shown on pyrosphere (but who wouldn't expect that anyway?).

Just forgot to point this out because it helps my theory slightly, but still.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I'm sorry, when did this happen? Last time, I checked, there was only one newcomer shown that was a clone, :4lucina:.

This character being one of the three faces on the massively selling game that saved a franchise and put a lot of wind under the 3DS's wings, and VERY popular (in Japan moreso than the US). If you want evidence of this, look at two specific chapters of DLC for Awakening: The Summer and Hot Spring Scramble maps.

For the former, there was a poll for the two most popular males and females of the "adult" generation, outside of :4robinm:/:4robinf:.

Gaius and Chrom were chosen for the males, Tharja and Cordelia for females.

The latter did the same for the children, excluding Morgan for the same reasons as their linked parent.

Owain and Inigo won for males, for females there was Cynthia and...
Guess who.

Even with this all, she was planned to be an alternate costume until LATE in development. Sakurai himself stated that this case was lucky for her.

If the only officially confirmed clone is a highly popular character who is one of the three faces of a wildly selling game that was uncharacteristic for the franchise and was lucky.

So please cite that statement, because the one clone we have had a LOT going for her that Impa simply doesn't, being a plot-important side character who is rarely seen in a very polarizing title of the series that didn't justify the redesign of either of Zelda's two most prominent characters.

I'd love to see the Hyrule Warriors version of Impa in Sm4sh, but that game appeared up in an awkward timing with Sm4sh's development (Sakurai stated that the roster was decided, to some extent, by day 1/early development) and Zelda really has all the components to represent its franchise in :4link:,:4zelda:+:4sheik: because Melee tied the two together, and :ganondorf:. Having the second Link is coincidental, but really they have all that they "need."

Though in Brawl it could be said Mario was set with :mario2::luigi2::peach::bowser2:, people can at least justify that :rosalina: is the most iconic character in Galaxy (the first 3D Mario title to have a direct sequel, not counting 64's Rerelease), and really snuck her rooting in as being playable in 3D World (the second 3D Mario title to have a direct Sequel) and Bowser Jr. has only been evolving out as a character as predominant as his father in franchise, being a common Midboss choice and often being the head of any true air fleet in the recent titles.

Impa makes sense as a 6th Zelda character,and is one of very few choices for this, but I don't see it getting one until a character makes enough major roles in repeating Zelda titles with a fairly stagnant design. If HW came out last year, I'd be more supporting in this.
I agree with this entire post. That said, Sakurai clearly stated in his discussion of Lucina why she was upgraded, which is indication enough that other character alts were likely in use for other characters. I believe one of the FIRST character alternates we would have in the game would be Impa for Shiek. If we are starting a process where any characters are then given the same lucky treatment, it could easily suffice that Impa would have, if she had already been a character alternate. It is clear the game has many alternate costumes, and given the leaks and Sakurai's own statement toward the idea, quite possible some of these could be characters. What about this keeps Impa from being a highly likely option?

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Who is Nightmare? :troll:

Was that Saturn's roster? I still believe that Funky's funky attitude would bring a lot to Smash.

I am still waiting on Paper Mario so that we can have Paper Mario and Dr. Mario as the dangerous duo. If not, I suppose Dr. Mario and Dark Pit will suffice. It reminds me of Subspace Emissary.
I forgot to mention: it's not even likely to be a clone.

Which I think is what you're looking for for dr mario and dark pit...

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I like this discussion. Archetype character styles missing in this game- though I think honestly Sakurai has gone above this to make certain characters of these styles more fleshed out than ever seen before- and other concepts entirely original in their own right.

I'd love to see:
  • Of course, the Grappler
  • A healing character. I do not count Wii Fit.
  • A trap character; this is where I see King K Rool. Or Andy. Setting up bases, etc.
  • A summoner. Isaac or Pokemon Trainer would do this well.
  • A functional move stealing character, something akin to Mokujin, or Shang Tsung

It is common practice in fighting games to use another character as a base to speed up development of said character. Heck, this could theoretically apply to Impa, Dr. Mario (no F.L.U.D.D.), and Dixie Kong (especially) as well.
Sakurai has stated point blank that he is not doing that in this game, and that each character is being derived from scratch. I believe this is the reason we will get this game competitive, actually- but this is my personal take. Rather than having many across the board mechanics, such as in melee, each character will have a world of individual utilities to perfect.

Last edited:

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
I honestly think it's really likely to get a DK newcomer. Why do you say it's not?
This question isn't addressed to me but the fact that DK hasn't had ANY new content show thus far outside of Kremlings and Tikis in Smash Run and only has an old Brawl stage in the 3DS version as seen on the leaked stage select screen makes me doubt Sakurai prioritized the DK franchise at all this time around. All the established series that had newcomers so far had a lot of attention paid to them; even FE had noticeable attention paid to it.

Last edited:

epicgordan

Smash Ace
I like this discussion. Archetype character styles missing in this game- though I think honestly Sakurai has gone above this to make certain characters of these styles more fleshed out than ever seen before- and other concepts entirely original in their own right.

I'd love to see:
  • A trap character; this is where I see King K Rool. Or Andy. Setting up bases, etc.
  • A functional move stealing character, something akin to Mokujin, or Shang Tsung

Sakurai has stated point blank that he is not doing that in this game, and that each character is being derived from scratch. I believe this is the reason we will get this game competitive, actually- but this is my personal take. Rather than having many across the board mechanics, such as in melee, each character will have a world of individual utilities to perfect.
Can we seriously take what he said 100% to heart given Palutena, Mii Fighters, Lucina, and Shulk? Again, unique mechanics help disguise the fact that their movesets were heavily derided from other characters. The difference is that it would be safe to assume that Ridley and Mewtwo were late additions--or at least late finishes (Lucina was likely the final character revealed that way).

Hot Uncle Sparky

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4356-0645-2703
Great minds think alike.
Only those who want Donkey in could be considered a great mind.

Can we seriously take what he said 100% to heart given Palutena, Mii Fighters, Lucina, and Shulk? Again, unique mechanics help disguise the fact that their movesets were heavily derided from other characters. The difference is that it would be safe to assume that Ridley and Mewtwo were late additions--or at least late finishes (Lucina was likely the final character revealed that way).
Having similar or even identical moves to another character doesn't always mean anything has been derived from another.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
I agree with this entire post. That said, Sakurai clearly stated in his discussion of Lucina why she was upgraded, which is indication enough that other character alts were likely in use for other characters. I believe one of the FIRST character alternates we would have in the game would be Impa for Shiek. If we are starting a process where any characters are then given the same lucky treatment, it could easily suffice that Impa would have, if she had already been a character alternate. It is clear the game has many alternate costumes, and given the leaks and Sakurai's own statement toward the idea, quite possible some of these could be characters. What about this keeps Impa from being a highly likely option?
I'm personally hesitant to use Lucina's lucky treatment to justify another character's chances. What you said about it makes sense, but it isn't a belief that I share.

Now, what stops Impa is as I stated: series importance. Outside of Pokemon and Fire Emblem, which swap out and add in many many characters, iconic and not, into each new main release, and retro characters who are in an entirely different ball park than every other character on the playing field and stick with mostly the big faces, the characters who are chosen are always very important to their franchise repeatedly. The Legend of Zelda series from Melee and arguably 64 has been one of the "Elite 4" Franchises for Smash representation and importance.

Mario (confirmed by Sakurai and the video leak): Core 4 characters that the games revolve around and a budding character who is really making her place as a very iconic new recurring character and becoming playable in a major title that was well into the works before Smash 4 began production and the son of the Big Bad who has been a high-tier lackey who has been a number of Mid bosses and a fleet commander a number of times.

Zelda: The three characters tied into the Triforce, which the VAST majority of the games revolve around, Sheik who got in due to being tied to Zelda in Melee more than anything else, and Toon Link which is a different variant of the main character who stars in his own scion of the main series (almost like Zelda's Luigi).

Kirby: The title character and the two most predominant characters who often serve as bosses, allies, and rivals. The hope for Bandana Dee is partially because of how he has been budding up like Rosalina and has unique moveset potential. Often mocked for unlikeliness.

Impa falls into the cases of Rosalina and Bandana Dee to an extent, but with three major things against her.

1) Her two "dominating" games are a) Skyward Sword: a very polarizing title unlike Return to Dreamland or Super Mario Galaxy, and one that many people flocked to the hopes of Ghirahim as a far more iconic and arguably important character in the game who went the way as other charismatic one-off Zelda characters people love, as an assist trophy, and b) Hyrule Warriors which is probably too late and too much of a spin-off to have a foot in the door, and would be just as much good for the likes of Darunia and Ruto.

2) Her design. It has been very inconsistent while Link and Zelda.. and Ganondorf are relatively uniform unless we count the Toon iterations which are entirely other beasts. Impa first became important in OoT as a Sheikah, like Sheik, got overhauled into the Bertha in the Oracles games, became a gerudo-esque Sheikah-like character in SS, and then has a design primarily based on her OoT iteration in HW.

3) Unlike many other characters (with the exception of probably a Rhythm Heaven character being taken seriously), her popularity and demand has basically been rising only because of other news already shown in this game and Hyrule Warriors. She had very little at first in comparison to Midna, Ghirahim, Tetra, or Toon Zelda, got a relative boon when Sheik was revealed as a seperate character, grew significantly after her Hyrule Warriors incarnation was seen, and finally now that Ghirahim is gone, Impa's a "last resort" to some for a Zelda newcomer who isn't another Zelda incarnation (excluding Scatman's legion of Vaati Vigilantes) and those who want to use her as evidence for the Trophy Theory to justify Ridley as she's the last Skyward Sword character other than Groose with relative importance.

And something more insignificant but worth nothing for trivia's sake if nothing else : She'd be one of VERY FEW characters in this or any other Smash that hasn't been playable in a game before the retrospective Smash game was in development in some capacity.

:zeldamelee:/:sheikmelee:, :ganondorfmelee:, and :roymelee: were the only ones in Melee, due to Roy's game coming out AFTER Melee's release. (Falco was playable in the unreleased Star Fox 2 which some people have copies of).

:wolf: in Brawl I believe was the only case. (ROB was one of the racers in Mario Kart DS).

:4wiifit: and :4palutena: are the only examples in the Smash 4 newcomers that have been officially confirmed.

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
How was Palutenas moveset heavily derided from anyone? Maybe one or two of her specials, but her shield/staff moves are unique, all her smash attacks are too, and most of her 12 specials are unique as well actually.

Last edited:

Gold_Jacobson

Smash Journeyman
Maybe in whichever trailer Dixie is in, K. Rool gets teased as a stage boss as what happend in Shulks.

I mean, nothing has been announced new for DK yet.

No new stage, assist trophy, character, or stage boss.

It's gotta get at least one of them.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Honestly, I really think K. Rool isn't that iconic in Japan, if you were iconic, you would be seeing memes and parodies of the character and/or you would see the character being advertised everywhere. I hardly see K. Rool in those types of things, he isn't that iconic as many people would think.
I said K. Rool was iconic in the Donkey Kong series. He's still an iconic character in Nintendo, but it seems they keep putting him in the shadows. He is still very popular, mostly over here but he's still popular in Japan as well.
iunno

I think the roster is pretty diverse and varied as is. I honestly don't know what's missing now that a mech fighter (Bowser Jr) got in.
I could see a potential grappler character. Or maybe a character with an air throw/grab.

FalcoPaunch!121

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5386-9681-7388

I'd love to see:

So... what is a Grappler, anyway? Why don't you count Wii Fit? And who would fulfill that spot, Kawishama or Birdo or Master Hand? Can Steve or Shovel Knight be considered trap people? How would Pokemon Trainer return? By himself, or with Gen 3 Pokemon? And can the last section be 3rd parties, such as Lloyd Irving, Tails, Bomberman, Rayman, Layton, or Wily?
Maybe in whichever trailer Dixie is in, K. Rool gets teased as a stage boss as what happend in Shulks.

I mean, nothing has been announced new for DK yet.

No new stage, assist trophy, character, or stage boss.

It's gotta get at least one of them.
Having never played Xenoblade, I don't know if Ridley or a Xenoblade character was teased.

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
So... what is a Grappler, anyway? Why don't you count Wii Fit? And who would fulfill that spot, Kawishama or Birdo or Master Hand? Can Steve or Shovel Knight be considered trap people? How would Pokemon Trainer return? By himself, or with Gen 3 Pokemon? And can the last section be 3rd parties, such as Lloyd Irving, Tails, Bomberman, Rayman, Layton, or Wily?

Having never played Xenoblade, I don't know if Ridley or a Xenoblade character was teased.
Here's the first grappler character that comes to my mind:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I said K. Rool was iconic in the Donkey Kong series. He's still an iconic character in Nintendo, but it seems they keep putting him in the shadows. He is still very popular, mostly over here but he's still popular in Japan as well.

I could see a potential grappler character. Or maybe a character with an air throw/grab.
Don't you think that's contradicting?

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Can we seriously take what he said 100% to heart given Palutena, Mii Fighters, Lucina, and Shulk?
....I have absolutely no idea what you are trying to claim with this statement.

The difference is that it would be safe to assume that Ridley and Mewtwo were late additions--or at least late finishes (Lucina was likely the final character revealed that way).
I contest this and think it is a very inaccurate assumption, with no evidence here to back it up for me to even follow your statement. Please clue me in to why you would believe this.

I'm personally hesitant to use Lucina's lucky treatment to justify another character's chances. What you said about it makes sense, but it isn't a belief that I share.
You list quite a lot to explain what you already have, but ultimately, you will not convince me that Impa is not an important character in Zelda. In fact, if you are trying to equate, in terms of plot, her relevance, compared to Lucina's, I don't know where your agument could stand. The claims for Impa have been made for you time and time again, and it is fine if you happn to just disagree. Ultimately, I think recurring in a series, especially Pokemon, Mario, and Zelda, is the most important thing. Impa is the sole representative of the supporting cast who would be sensible to add, particularly as a Sage- which is as important as the triforce itself. She is far more important, in my eyes, than having a second Link, or Sheik, yet we have those characters.
It is my personal belief Impa could have even been included as a possible fare well to Sheik- in as a costume this game, to boot Sheik out in the next. That of course, would mean, she is not a separate character. Lucina certainly threw that for a loop, though.
..are you just asking questions to ask questions? By the end they are not even sensible. I never mention third parties.

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Don't you think that's contradicting?
Not necessarily, I think he's made a huge impact on the Donkey Kong series. Enough to consider him a iconic Nintendo character. Also, he's appeared in some Mario spin-offs that aren't super old like . And, the Donkey Kong Country series was re-released on the VC on the Wii I think. However, they might be gone. I'm not too sure.

I'd say give him a few more years. If he isn't seen anywhere, then I could understand why many would consider him to of lost his iconic status.

Gold_Jacobson

Smash Journeyman

At the end of the Shulk Trailer, there is a big trailer that says something along the lines of "Didn't expect to see you...etc."

The thing saying that is an antagonist from Xenoblade. So, it's likely that he is the stage boss on Guar Plains the XBlade stage. He's a giant robot with knife hands. It'll be cool.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
I really think King K. Rool would be a better choice than Dixie due to what has been said already not to mention that he was a boxer in 64, but due to Tropical Freeze and the whole forbidden seven thing, she will mostly likely get in over him. Also I'm willing to bet along with Mewtwo they'll be in the game, because there are probably assets left over from Brawl that can be used as a base, which would cut down on development time for the two.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Not necessarily, I think he's made a huge impact on the Donkey Kong series. Enough to consider him a iconic Nintendo character. Also, he's appeared in some Mario spin-offs that aren't super old like . And, the Donkey Kong Country series was re-released on the VC on the Wii I think. However, they might be gone. I'm not too sure.

I'd say give him a few more years. If he isn't seen anywhere, then I could understand why many would consider him to of lost his iconic status.
Where's the huge impact K. Rool did though? You're not specifying.

Burruni

Smash Hero
At the end of the Shulk Trailer, there is a big trailer that says something along the lines of "Didn't expect to see you...etc."

The thing saying that is an antagonist from Xenoblade. So, it's likely that he is the stage boss on Guar Plains the XBlade stage. He's a giant robot with knife hands. It'll be cool.
And to elaborate for Gold, this character (Metal Face) is basically the primary antagonist for the first half of the game as a high ranking Commander of the Mechon forces which wreak havoc for all Homs (humankind).

Fun Fact: In the japanese version of the game, he was called "Black Face" due to him being a Faced Mechon with a mostly Black chassis. Due to the obvious other meaning of this phrase, his name was changed in the western releases. However, a specific site named after him called "Black Wreckage" was not changed.

Also, here is what he looks like.

for an up close look of the face of the Mechon, and
for a picture of his full body. VERY thin waist.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
A character that pretty much fights by grappling. Think Zangief in Street Fighter or King in Tekken. They're normally based on wrestlers, and have their share of command grabs.

The closest we have is King Dedede and DK, because of their long grab reach and strong grab game in general, but they're not really grapplers in a traditional sense.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
This is a ridiculous argument. King K Rool is the Bowser to Donkey Kong. His precise impact on the games need not be explained, because it cannot be, there are low levels of continuity and even less story.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Where's the huge impact K. Rool did though? You're not specifying.
Namely he served as the primary antagonist for 5 Donkey Kong games. (DKC 1-3, Donkey Kong Land 1 because 2 and 3 were just ports of DKC 2 and 3, and DK 64) and lead the Kremling forces.

Imagine if Bowser disappeared from Mario and all related series after Super Mario 64 except for 2 very small games most people forgot about that were on only hand-helds with the impact of Yoshi's Toss & Turn and another character's spin-off sports game, and there were only 3 other "big" Mario games that were 2D platformers released afterwards without sign of Bowser, Goombas, Koopas, etc, and the boss of said third game did a lot of attacks similar to Bowser. Bowser would still be very important, arguably "Needed" to the vast majority of Mario, but just not recently.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom