• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
My Assist Trophy Prediction now:
Warning, you might hate it:
Actualy seeing how things are turning out this would probably be an ideal Assist trophy selection, except maybe Dixie, who i think might still have chance, but K. Rool as an assist is the best we can hope for him now if you ask me, and at least it would give us that DK assist that we've had missing since Brawl.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Actualy seeing how things are turning out this would probably an ideal Assist trophy selection, except meaybe Dixie, who i think might still have chance, but K. Rool as an assist is the best we can hope for him now if you ask me, and at least it would give us that DK assist that we've had missing since Brawl.
I agree, it is even questionable that King K. Rool "deserves" to be an assist trophy. I am not convinced that he is quite prominent enough.

So what is new?
Dark Pit is never old, but he is not quite new.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I agree, it is even questionable that King K. Rool "deserves" to be an assist trophy. I am not convinced that he is quite prominent enough.
In that case, Nightmare, Skull Kid, and Midna aren't prominent enough to be Assists either.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
I wonder if people have considered Funky as a DK clone character? I mean Dark Pit and him would make a dangerous duo :awesome:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I wonder if people have considered Funky as a DK clone character? I mean Dark Pit and him would make a dangerous duo :awesome:
I think the last time Funky was brought up, it was on a prediction roster where he was added as a unique character alongside Dixie, who was added as a semi-clone.

Morbi

Scavenger
In that case, Nightmare, Skull Kid, and Midna aren't prominent enough to be Assists either.
Who is Nightmare? :troll:

I think the last time Funky was brought up, it was on a prediction roster where he was added as a unique character alongside Dixie, who was added as a semi-clone.
Was that Saturn's roster? I still believe that Funky's funky attitude would bring a lot to Smash.

I am still waiting on Paper Mario so that we can have Paper Mario and Dr. Mario as the dangerous duo. If not, I suppose Dr. Mario and Dark Pit will suffice. It reminds me of Subspace Emissary.

Morbi

Scavenger
With Falcondorf returning I'm pretty sure Black Shadow is out of the question.
Not necessarily, Black Shadow does have the capacity to be his own character, after all. Or it is not unreasonable that a character such as Captain Falcon might entail two clones. Mario, Link, and Marth both have two different clones of themselves and Falcondorf was altered immensely from Captain Falcon as is. So he is not "out of the question."

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Not necessarily, Black Shadow does have the capacity to be his own character, after all. Or it is not unreasonable that a character such as Captain Falcon might entail two clones. Mario, Link, and Marth both have two different clones of themselves and Falcondorf was altered immensely from Captain Falcon as is. So he is not "out of the question."
Yes he is because Blood Falcon will get in before him :grrr:

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
Hence why I said "Pretty sure" instead of "definitely".

Technically no character is out of the question if it's possible to make an logical argument against for them, but replacing Ganondorf as the Falcon clone was by far the biggest thing going for Black Shadow, which he no longer has.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
We might never get a new F-Zero rep till Ganondorf gets revamped to have his own moveset.

At this rate: it'll never happen. Also, Captain Falcon might end up becoming a Fire Emblem character. :reverse:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
So how about a new topic, who do you guys think are the top 10 most likely characters to appear as new ATs?
I have no idea.

Characters are one thing; predicting Assist Trophies is an entirely different matter.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Well yes, technically Dixie, Funky or even Rambi would deserve that more, maybe K. Rool boss then?:nifty:
I have to seriously disagree with that statement. Dixie, however, is a different story.

I am still waiting on Paper Mario so that we can have Paper Mario and Dr. Mario as the dangerous duo. If not, I suppose Dr. Mario and Dark Pit will suffice. It reminds me of Subspace Emissary.
I really want Paper Mario and I liked Dr. Mario in Melee. So I would not oppose such.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I have no idea.

Characters are one thing; predicting Assist Trophies is an entirely different matter.
One thing is sure though, very popular characters are most likely to be ATs, but predicting the rest is pretty hard and can range from historical (Color Game TV) to obscure series (Chibi Robo, Elite Beat Agents) to the best, and/or memorable characters to their certain franchises (Nightmare, Mr. Resetti).

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
I'm sorry, but how is K. Rool, one of the most voted characters on popularity polls around the world, not even deserving to be an Assist Trophy?

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
I'm guessing the whole irrelevant argument that clearly doesn't apply all the time in Smash.
Well, Duck Hunt Dog is as irrelevant (or even more, I should say) as K. Rool right now and he is in. I'm sure there's no need to add anything else to prove that argument is absurd.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I'm sorry, but how is K. Rool, one of the most voted characters on popularity polls around the world, not even deserving to be an Assist Trophy?
You're implying that he does not deserve to be less than an AT and boss right?

Well, Duck Hunt Dog is as irrelevant (or even more, I should say) as K. Rool right now and he is in. I'm sure there's no need to add anything else to prove that argument is absurd.
Duck Hunt Dog may be irrelevant, but he has iconic-ness by his side to be considered as a character, AT, etc.

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
You're implying that he does not deserve to be less than an AT and boss right?

Duck Hunt Dog may be irrelevant, but he has iconic-ness by his side to be considered as a character, AT, etc.
I'm implying that he does deserve to be a playable character over Dixie. I'm also implying that if he isn't playable he should at least be a boss or an AT. Anything less than that would be an insult to DK's main antagonist.

And sure, DHD is iconic, but most of the newcomers in Sm4sh are highly requested characters, and the only ones left on the Top 5 lists for both Japan and the West are Mewtwo, K. Rool and Ridley. Popularity seems to be more important in Sm4sh than in previous games, and K. Rool's fanbase is a lot bigger than Dixie's. At least that's what I see.

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I've heard that Duck Hunt Dog is only iconic over here. I'm not sure if that's true nor can I confirm that but King K. Rool is iconic within the Donkey Kong series. Especially how huge/successful the original Donkey Kong Country was. What hurts Duck Hunt Dog, in my opinion, is his lack of moveset potential. In Duck Hunt, he just laughs at you and jumps behind a patch of grass. I mean, I'm sure they can create something for him like Captain Falcon.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Duck Hunt is your spiritual Banjo Kazooie character

You will play as him and you will like it.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Why are the retro characters always the first ones to get bashed when the popular ones don't get in? -_-
It happened with ROB in Brawl, and now it's happening with DHD here.

Sorry, but if a popular character doesn't get in, there are plenty of other MORE popular characters to blame for that.
Retro characters only compete with themselves, as their spots are extremely limited. 1-2 per game, which IMHO, is really underwhelming.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
IAnd sure, DHD is iconic, but most of the newcomers in Sm4sh are highly requested characters, and the only ones left on the Top 5 lists for both Japan and the West are Mewtwo, K. Rool and Ridley. Popularity seems to be more important in Sm4sh than in previous games, and K. Rool's fanbase is a lot bigger than Dixie's. At least that's what I see.
:4lucina: and clones in general are the only real case of popularity being used as a base for adding clones into the game. For unique characters, :4littlemac::4pacman::4palutena::4megaman: are the only ones while the rest of the newcomers are decently requested, but not expected characters, I don't think popularity is the one of the most important, I think at least popularity is probably one of the minor reasons characters get added, if there's demand, then the character probably going to be considered, but it's not going to be the main reason.

I've heard that Duck Hunt Dog is only iconic over here. I'm not sure if that's true nor can I confirm that but King K. Rool is iconic within the Donkey Kong series. Especially how huge/successful the original Donkey Kong Country was. What hurts Duck Hunt Dog, in my opinion, is his lack of moveset potential. In Duck Hunt, he just laughs at you and jumps behind a patch of grass. I mean, I'm sure they can create something for him like Captain Falcon.
Honestly, I really think K. Rool isn't that iconic in Japan, if you were iconic, you would be seeing memes and parodies of the character and/or you would see the character being advertised everywhere. I hardly see K. Rool in those types of things, he isn't that iconic as many people would think.

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Why are the retro characters always the first ones to get bashed when the popular ones don't get in? -_-

Sorry, but if a popular character doesn't get in, there are plenty of other MORE popular characters to blame for that.
Retro characters only compete with themselves, as their spots are extremely limited. 1-2 per game, which IMHO, is really underwhelming.
People don't care about the old-school classic characters we have. All they give a **** about is the newer and popular characters, which doesn't always work out. A nice variety in time lines helps expand the series to know all about the games. Too bad the majority of the gamers are below 20 at least.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Impa is likely because:

-Zelda has had no newcomers in Brawl, outside of Young Link being cut in favor for Toon Link. Which is almost the same work as Falco getting Luigified.

-Mario is being overloaded with newcomers. Only time that happened before was with Melee, when Zelda also got 4 new characters.

-Skyloft stage. And a lot of the current new stages being related to newcomers.

-Sakurai saying there'll be characters just like Lucina, and clones being back in general. Doesn't mean that Impa cannot be unique, but it makes her likelier to appear cause she could be a Sheik clone.

-Her being included in all recent Zelda games, outside of the Wind Waker remake (still got a cameo there though) and even being playable in Hyrule Warriors.

-Only character from Skyward Sword left who's worthy of becoming playable.

-Very important character in the timeline of Zelda

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

Some people just aren't being rational. Besides, the Duck Hunt Dog is a troll character incarnate, you gotta love him for it!:troll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom