• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Well, the leak has calmed down. So, I'm showing off my new roster with surprisingly little changes. I'm not sold on anything about the leak, outside of footage, and the trophies and menu screens we saw pictures of. The roster image has so many odd things about it that I don't think any of those other newcomers are in the game. Maybe I'm just n denial, but hey, I'm havin' fun with it :p

*Yes, HE's still there* ;)
Replace Masked Man for Dixie and I'm solid

Chase

Smash Ace
Because there is excited, then there is Ridley excited. And Ridley excited is a bit to much for this board to handle ;)

So here's a question for you all. What do you think was shown at PAX that required an embargo on the information?
The final roster. There is no possible way they could put an embargo on one character.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Haven't talked about Shulk yet, he looks like a decent character, he wasn't one of my personal wants, but I'm glad his fans got him. Also, not gonna lie, I totally thought that was Dr.Eggman at the end of Shulk's trailer.
See I wasn't sure who it was since I heard the Japan only voice, and I was too tired and didn't see what the shadow looked like, so naturally I yelled "Is that Mewtwo?"

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Incidentally, on the subject of counters, I recall my brother explaining to me that the reason why countering is a common trait amongst Fire Emblem characters is because it's an integral part of the game's combat system. Every character has a chance to counter-attack after combat is initiated and the first combatant strikes.

In Palutena's case, it's a reference to a a power that I seldom if ever use that does exactly what it says on the tin. I'm intrigued to see that she potentially wields both a physical counter and a projectile reflect - infinite fighting style possibilities, ahoy!

EDIT: Do you people really post this quickly or am I too slow?

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Well damn the Ridley thread got locked when I didn't think they would just because we were excited for potential news, that's really sad. Is it permanent this time then? Because if so that is even more sad, we weren't as horrendously off topic as we were the last time, so I figured we'd be fine, but :sadeyes:

Well I guess I'll have to come here and see if any people hear anything about an additional character announced via the Smash closed door conference. I'm really too invested in the thought of there being something new revealed that is this hype-worthy. Here we are down to the wire, and I just wanna see something not from the leak so I can get really excited for Smash again...

Chase

Smash Ace
What exactly was embargoed?
Whatever was revealed at the PAX Journalist Event. Which I presume to be Wario, Dr. Mario, Ganondorf, Falco, Wolf, Jigglypuff, Mr. Game and Watch, R.O.B., Duck Hunt Dog, Bowser Jr., Dark Pit, (hopefully) Mewtwo, Ridley, Dixie, and Mach Rider.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Do you guys think the next Officially revealed Newcomer will have a counter? I mean, we already have these guys:

1. :4palutena:
  2. :4greninja:
  3. :4lucina:
  4. :4littlemac:
  5. :4shulk:
  6. :4mii: (Mii Swordsmen has the counter)

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Holy **** guys, I just found a video on YouTube about a new character reveal. Enjoy

:troll:

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Even Palutena has a counter. Like, really? What is this, Super Parry Bros?

I wonder if Shulk's counter is any different from Marth's?

EDIT: Now that I think about, isn't Palutena's more of a barrier thing? Been a while since I've seen her moves and trailer.
Lmao right? Super Parry Bros. seems very fitting..:laugh:
Shulk's counter from the trailer appears to proc in two different ways:
  1. His regular Vision Counterattack has active counter-box-frames with some delay so that you can counter anticipated moves if you jump the gun & hard-read an attack, you get pushed back from the move that may vary with how strong it's launch power is which showed why Shulk was pushed back so far countering a FullyCharigedShieldBreaker kudos to Marth.
  2. A perfect timed parry counterattack from Captain Falcon's Pivot / B-reversed Falcon Punch at the right time, proc'ing Shulk's vision counter around the same time his start-up occurs, it goes into a clean parry animation & he dashes forward doing a finishing slash technique probably from the Xenoblade games.
Marth's counter appears to be the same without any changes, unless his Tipping mechanic buffed his counter & any area you hit with your sword after the counter-parry is more launch power, kind of like spacing your counter. That'd be sick & amazing to implement that tiny element.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Looks like this thread is back to normal.

Gosh this was a good week.
Well, here's to the Monado!

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
What exactly was embargoed?
The contents of whatever was inside that four hour long press event. Unfortunately its embargoed, so no one in the event can tell us what happened.

Well damn the Ridley thread got locked when I didn't think they would just because we were excited for potential news, that's really sad. Is it permanent this time then? Because if so that is even more sad, we weren't as horrendously off topic as we were the last time, so I figured we'd be fine, but :sadeyes:

Well I guess I'll have to come here and see if any people hear anything about an additional character announced via the Smash closed door conference. I'm really too invested in the thought of there being something new revealed that is this hype-worthy. Here we are down to the wire, and I just wanna see something not from the leak so I can get really excited for Smash again...
We have no idea, but I personally think they probably announced the entire roster to the press, so the press will be able to go and report on the roster once the game comes out. Perhaps with info on additional game modes and the like as well.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
:4mario::4luigi::4peach::4bowser::4yoshi::rosalina::substitute::wario::gw: (Bowser Jr.)
:4dk::4diddy::4link::4zelda::4sheik::ganondorf::4tlink::4samus::4zss:
:4pit::4palutena::4marth::4myfriends::4robinm::4kirby::4metaknight::4dedede::4littlemac:
:4fox::falco::wolf::4pikachu::4greninja::4charizard::4lucario::mewtwopm::jigglypuff:
:substitute::rob::ness2::4falcon::4villager::4olimar::4wiifit::substitute::substitute: (Duck Hunt, Choir Boy, Shulk)
:drmario::4lucina::substitute::4megaman::4sonic::4pacman::substitute: (Dark Pit, Random Button (why don't we have an icon for this))

How I think the roster's going to turn out. I'm abandoning ship on any non-Rhythm Heaven newcomer (I still think that Sneaky Spirit is suspicious) at this point.

Last edited:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
:4mario::4luigi::4peach::4bowser::4yoshi::rosalina::substitute::wario::gw: (Bowser Jr.)
:4dk::4diddy::4link::4zelda::4sheik::ganondorf::4tlink::4samus::4zss:
:4pit::4palutena::4marth::4myfriends::4robinm::4kirby::4metaknight::4dedede::4littlemac:
:4fox::falco::wolf::4pikachu::4greninja::4charizard::4lucario::mewtwopm::jigglypuff:
:substitute::rob::ness2::4falcon::4villager::4olimar::4wiifit::substitute::substitute: (Duck Hunt, Choir Boy, Shulk)
:drmario::4lucina::substitute::4megaman::4sonic::4pacman::substitute: (Dark Pit, Random Button (why don't we have an icon for this))

How I think the roster's going to turn out. I'm abandoning ship on any non-Rhythm Heaven newcomer (I still think that Sneaky Spirit is suspicious) at this point.
I'm still sure Dr. Mario will move up to where Yoshi is or something. Yoshi won't be in the middle of them. I also think Ice Climbers are in over the Chorus men.

D

Deleted member

Well that was Mewtwo's hype. Shulk is about to drown in his hype.

Also guys I think Metal Face (That's his name right?) is playable. The trailer ended as a cliffhanger.
Metal face confirmed for Pikachu alt
(And before any confusion, poking a bit of fun at Dark Pit

Last edited by a moderator:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
EDIT: Do you people really post this quickly or am I too slow?
Nope.:4sonic:btw I'm a day late but Welcome to Smashboards.:shades:
Do you guys think the next Officially revealed Newcomer will have a counter? I mean, we already have these guys:

:4mii: The Mii Swordfighter has a counter as well.
Thank hotness that :4robinm:/:4robinf: didn't get a Counterattack, staying true to "I am no ordinary swordsman!"

I remember bringing this up but I see one more character getting a counterattack being their down special. Super Parry Bros. all aboard!

EDIT: @ Deathcarter Deathcarter report your 2nd post so it can get removed. I don't think you get a warning if you yourself report it. I may be wrong.

Last edited:

mark welford

Smash Ace
so in this event Nintendo could of told the remaining characters and those reporters can't even tell their families? if so I hope wolf and ice climbers are 2 of the remaining characters.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
I'm still sure Dr. Mario will move up to where Yoshi is or something. Yoshi won't be in the middle of them. I also think Ice Climbers are in over the Chorus men.
I think Sakurai is going to keep the clones together and they'll end up on the 6th row next to the 3rd parties. No way you can have both Dark Pit and Lucina by their series without massive shifts in the CSS which I'm trying to avoid. About Chorus Boys, I think we're getting one Chorus Boy who summons other RH characters for attacks rather than an IC-esque pair up. You can replace him with Marshall but the Chorus Boys (whether individually or together) seem like the more iconic choice for Smash.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Nope.:4sonic:btw I'm a day late but Welcome to Smashboards.:shades:

:4mii: The Mii Swordfighter has a counter as well.
Thank hotness that :4robinm:/:4robinf: didn't get a Counterattack, staying true to "I am no ordinary swordsman!"

I remember bringing this up but I see one more character getting a counterattack being their down special. Super Parry Bros. all aboard!
Thanks, I will update it.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I think Sakurai is going to keep the clones together and they'll end up on the 6th row next to the 3rd parties. No way you can have both Dark Pit and Lucina by their series without massive shifts in the CSS which I'm trying to avoid. About Chorus Boys, I think we're getting one Chorus Boy who summons other RH characters for attacks rather than an IC-esque pair up. You can replace him with Marshall but the Chorus Boys (whether individually or together) seem like the more iconic choice for Smash.

Edit: Crap I double posted!!!!
I find this hard to believe considering the fact that the Chorus Men appeared in two minigames in the entire series, both of which are in only one game. They're hardly "iconic" to the series at all. The only reason anyone pays any attention to them is because of Gematsu leak's faked second half.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
I find this hard to believe considering the fact that the Chorus Men appeared in two minigames in the entire series, both of which are in only one game. They're hardly "iconic" to the series at all. The only reason anyone pays any attention to them is because of Gematsu leak's faked second half.
Agreed. I don't find them iconic though that may be due to my ignorance of not playing the RH games. I'm fine with an Assist Trophy of the Chorus Kids rather than being playable in the roster. They just don't fit in my eyes, though that's probably subjective.:ohwell:

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
I meant advertising wise more than anything else, kind of like Scrat from Ice Age (except with RH lacking a main character in general). "Iconic" wasn't the best choice of words there.

Then again, I don't know **** about RH and don't have any idea how popular or not the Chorus Boys are in general (especially in Japan) and I'm just parroting arguments I've heard from Chorus Boy supporters. I just think we're getting a RH rep in general, I couldn't care who it is.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I cannot see it possible to have two chorus kids summoned. It literally defeats the purpose of a chours and the notion of rhythm. It destroys his unique factor immediately.

6. :4mii: (Mii Swordsmen has the counter)
Is that it, really? I thought one of the men had a counter. Not that I remember any of the moves Megaman uses other than Leaf Shield.

Last edited:

MewtwoX825

Smash Ace
The embargo probably had something to do with the other characters on the leak and people would have a s***storm if they didnt see the leak. Knowing how bad Sakurai f*** up the roster this is the only BS excuse for keeping info from us. I hope im wrong cause I am really starting to lose respect for him and this game.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I'm a little bit sad.

Looking at Shulk's gameplay gimmick about changing stats, has me kind of depressed.
This was the EXACT same system I had envisioned Isaac having.
Ironically, I never saw those two competing in anything other than looks and weapon. It was completely news to me to know that Shulk could change his stats in mid battle as well.
:(

The thing is, I don't have anything against Shulk. I don't know much about him, and I'd love to try his game out.
But his gameplay gimmick is EXTREMELY AWESOME to me, someone who adored the character-switch mechanic in past SSB games.
But I feel bad it went to the "wrong character".

This is like Ness stealing Mike Jones' spot as THE Nintendo yoyo guy all over again (despite Mike doing it first).
I have next to zero hope for Mike getting in to take his rightful place as yoyo master. But ISAAC? He's a lot more popular, and I think he's by far already earned his place in SSB. The least he deserves is to keep his own game gimmick!

/rant.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I'm not particularly surprised about the embargo on the information this close to the release of the game in Japan. More then likely they had information they wanted to provide to the press and are running out of events between now and the release of the 3DS release in NA, so use an event they were already participating in, slapped a NDA on the thing and they got done what they wanted to accomplish at the press level.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's the reason for Shulk trailer being put on JPN only direct, their simply running low on opportunities.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I'm a little bit sad.

Looking at Shulk's gameplay gimmick about changing stats, has me kind of depressed.
This was the EXACT same system I had envisioned Isaac having.
Ironically, I never saw those two competing in anything other than looks and weapon. It was completely news to me to know that Shulk could change his stats in mid battle as well.
:(

The thing is, I don't have anything against Shulk. I don't know much about him, and I'd love to try his game out.
But his gameplay gimmick is EXTREMELY AWESOME to me, someone who adored the character-switch mechanic in past SSB games.
But I feel bad it went to the "wrong character".

This is like Ness stealing Mike Jones' spot as THE Nintendo yoyo guy all over again (despite Mike doing it first).
I have next to zero hope for Mike getting in to take his rightful place as yoyo master. But ISAAC? He's a lot more popular, and I think he's by far already earned his place in SSB. The least he deserves is to keep his own game gimmick!

/rant.

Hmm... really? I have a hard time seeing this as a way Isaac even could function.
Isaac would need to use his Psynergy, Djinn, and Sword, all, to be properly conveyed.
The first two in particular are the unique aspect, the sword could literally be done just as a visual on top.
How does this move set of Shulk's have... anything to do with Isaac?

I had, quite literally, the opposite reaction to yours.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Hmm... really? I have a hard time seeing this as a way Isaac even could function.
Isaac would need to use his Psynergy, Djinn, and Sword, all, to be properly conveyed.
The first two in particular are the unique aspect, the sword could literally be done just as a visual on top.
How does this move set of Shulk's have... anything to do with Isaac?

I had, quite literally, the opposite reaction to yours.
Because Isaac and co. would change their stats and class as a sideeffect of using Djinni. Some Djinni Will boost their hp+def while reducing atk+spd, vice versa, etc. Isaac did it first, even if it was a side-effect. :p

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Because Isaac and co. would change their stats and class as a sideeffect of using Djinni. Some Djinni Will boost their hp+def while reducing atk+spd, vice versa, etc. Isaac did it first, even if it was a side-effect. :p
That's such a minute part of what the Djinn do, though. And adding boosted effects, stances, certainly is nothing like how you fight as Isaac. It would be a horrible translation to me(no offense). It would NOT feel like plaing as Isaac to me. Nothing says Isaac still would not have stat changes.

@ JaidynReiman JaidynReiman posted a great idea a few pages back.

Last edited:

epicgordan

Smash Ace
Okay, so I have decided to compose a list of candidates to take part in an all-out Super Smash Brothers 4 Character League (as in, a league between the entire cast including some distinctive alts like with Bowser Jr. or Olimar). I have a 100 candidates right now, including four sets of Mii Fighters: Cloud, Tifa, Barret, Neo, Darth Vader, Tron, Angry Video Game Nerd, Nostalgia Critic, Angry Joe, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, and Ben Roethlesberg all joining the battle via Miis.

Of course, once the game comes out, I will start slashing candidates that do not, in any way, shape or form, make the criteria, narrowing it down further. I will try to keep it a multiple of 4, so that no matter what, everybody gets to fight in a four-way battle. So unless the other characters and their alts do not result in a multiple of 4, I will be able to keep all 12 of my Miis for the fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom