• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
I'm in flavor of Impa provided she's in her Ages form. The roster needs another heavyweight. Seriously, at this point I think it's between Toon Zelda and Impa.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'm in flavor of Impa provided she's in her Ages form. The roster needs another heavyweight. Seriously, at this point I think it's between Toon Zelda and Impa.
I'd take both, granted that Impa would be the unique newcomer, and Toon Zelda the clone.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
The only thing Impa has going for her now is her easy ability to become a clone and her importance, but even then, I feel like she's not representing the best parts of Zelda, nor is she really iconic nor that popular as a Zelda character to be a character in the roster.
Only Diddy's point of clones is the only valid benefit helping Impa.

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
Honestly, I really think K. Rool isn't that iconic in Japan, if you were iconic, you would be seeing memes and parodies of the character and/or you would see the character being advertised everywhere. I hardly see K. Rool in those types of things, he isn't that iconic as many people would think.
He may not be iconic, but he is popular. According to the polls, the most requested characters in Japan were Mewtwo, Mega Man, King K. Rool, Palutena and Shulk. The most requested character in the West were Mewtwo, Mega Man, King K. Rool, Little Mac and Ridley.

We got Mega Man, Palutena, Shulk and Little Mac. Ridley and Mewtwo are very likely at this point, so why wouldn't K. Rool make the cut then?

Popular characters are being considered in Sm4sh. It's not the main reason to include a character, and I'm perfectly aware of it, but it IS a reason.

I don't think Impa is likely at all now.
Well, if the Trophy Theory is somehow a thing, then Impa is likely.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
The only thing Impa has going for her now is her easy ability to become a clone and her importance, but even then, I feel like she's not representing the best parts of Zelda, nor is she really iconic nor that popular as a Zelda character to be a character in the roster.
Only Diddy's point of clones is the only valid benefit helping Impa.
She's the most important character left to be included. And that was the same before the deconfirmations of Ghirahim, Midna and Skull Kid. She's very important in the timeline of Zelda due to her roles in Skyward Sword and Ocarina of Time. Both games also got a stage in this game, with Skyloft still not having a character that would fit with it.

Hyrule Warriors has already increased her popularity a lot. So that's not much of a problem. THE MAIN PROBLEM with Impa is that just about half of the people who got Skyward Sword didn't bother with finishing it. :smirk: And this is actually a very important thing with Impa's role in Skyward Sword; it's fully revealed after the final battle.

Also I wouldn't know why you would bring her iconic-status and popularity in question. Does Rosalina, Dr.Mario or Bowser Jr. compare to the likes of Mario, Luigi, Peach or Bowser? Do Jigglypuff, Greninja and even Lucario compare to Pikachu? Do Lucina and Robin compare to Marth and Ike? The easily answer is no. They do not.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
She's the most important character left to be included. And that was the same before the deconfirmations of Ghirahim, Midna and Skull Kid. She's very important in the timeline of Zelda due to her roles in Skyward Sword and Ocarina of Time. Both games also got a stage in this game, with Skyloft still not having a character that would fit with it.

Hyrule Warriors has already increased her popularity a lot. So that's not much of a problem. THE MAIN PROBLEM with Impa is that just about half of the people who got Skyward Sword didn't bother with finishing it. :smirk: And this is actually a very important thing with Impa's role in Skyward Sword; it's fully revealed after the final battle.

Also I wouldn't know why you would bring her iconic-status and popularity in question. Does Rosalina, Dr.Mario or Bowser Jr. compare to the likes of Mario, Luigi, Peach or Bowser? Do Jigglypuff, Greninja and even Lucario compare to Pikachu? Do Lucina and Robin compare to Marth and Ike? The easily answer is no. They do not.
I don't know why you keep using Hyrule Warriors. If anything, that helps her with Smash 5, not 4.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
There's always the :4greninja:-situation.
Yeah, Hyrule Warriors is way past that situation, I don't even think HW's even helps with her being a last-minute clone. (Not sure how long those take to make) I will admit that Impa is one of the most likely Zelda newcomers right now, but if she's getting in, it's because of Skyward Sword, and maybe OoT, but definitley not HW.

Maxilian

Smash Ace
Actualy seeing how things are turning out this would probably be an ideal Assist trophy selection, except maybe Dixie, who i think might still have chance, but K. Rool as an assist is the best we can hope for him now if you ask me, and at least it would give us that DK assist that we've had missing since Brawl.
I don't think K. Rool will be an assit, IMO he will be part of a stage...

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well at least she could still have that barrier, and that's awesome. I always wanted Skyward Sword Impa, so it's all good for me.

It's not like her Skyward Sword self is undeserving or anything, no matter what people around here say. :smirk:

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
But if that was the case i think we would at least have alternate costumes from Hyrule Warriors, wich doesn't seem to be the case.
You should know there's still a lot of things we don't know about the game.

Well at least she could still have that barrier, and that's awesome. I always wanted Skyward Sword Impa, so it's all good for me.

It's not like her Skyward Sword self is undeserving or anything, no matter what people around here say. :smirk:
In fact, Skyward Sword's Impa is my favorite (apart from Hyrule Warriors' Impa).

Last edited:

epicgordan

Smash Ace
The 3DS will change from this:

3DS Starting Roster.png

Into this:

3DS Final Roster.png

Wii U CSS is pending. But note how on the final CSS screen, all the slots are exactly perpendicular with each other.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Impa is likely because:
-Sakurai saying there'll be characters just like Lucina, and clones being back in general. Doesn't mean that Impa cannot be unique, but it makes her likelier to appear cause she could be a Sheik clone.
I'm sorry, when did this happen? Last time, I checked, there was only one newcomer shown that was a clone, :4lucina:.

This character being one of the three faces on the massively selling game that saved a franchise and put a lot of wind under the 3DS's wings, and VERY popular (in Japan moreso than the US). If you want evidence of this, look at two specific chapters of DLC for Awakening: The Summer and Hot Spring Scramble maps.

For the former, there was a poll for the two most popular males and females of the "adult" generation, outside of :4robinm:/:4robinf:.

Gaius and Chrom were chosen for the males, Tharja and Cordelia for females.

The latter did the same for the children, excluding Morgan for the same reasons as their linked parent.

Owain and Inigo won for males, for females there was Cynthia and...
Guess who.

Even with this all, she was planned to be an alternate costume until LATE in development. Sakurai himself stated that this case was lucky for her.

If the only officially confirmed clone is a highly popular character who is one of the three faces of a wildly selling game that was uncharacteristic for the franchise and was lucky.

So please cite that statement, because the one clone we have had a LOT going for her that Impa simply doesn't, being a plot-important side character who is rarely seen in a very polarizing title of the series that didn't justify the redesign of either of Zelda's two most prominent characters.

I'd love to see the Hyrule Warriors version of Impa in Sm4sh, but that game appeared up in an awkward timing with Sm4sh's development (Sakurai stated that the roster was decided, to some extent, by day 1/early development) and Zelda really has all the components to represent its franchise in :4link:,:4zelda:+:4sheik: because Melee tied the two together, and :ganondorf:. Having the second Link is coincidental, but really they have all that they "need."

Though in Brawl it could be said Mario was set with :mario2::luigi2::peach::bowser2:, people can at least justify that :rosalina: is the most iconic character in Galaxy (the first 3D Mario title to have a direct sequel, not counting 64's Rerelease), and really snuck her rooting in as being playable in 3D World (the second 3D Mario title to have a direct Sequel) and Bowser Jr. has only been evolving out as a character as predominant as his father in franchise, being a common Midboss choice and often being the head of any true air fleet in the recent titles.

Impa makes sense as a 6th Zelda character,and is one of very few choices for this, but I don't see it getting one until a character makes enough major roles in repeating Zelda titles with a fairly stagnant design. If HW came out last year, I'd be more supporting in this.

Last edited:
NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
I still believe King K. Rool is the best choice for a Donkey Kong newcomer.
I personally think the most important thing on any fighting game roster, and particularly on Smash Bros, is to have variety.
Having another monkey would be boring, even if that monkey has a unique moveset. It's still a monkey.
On the other hand, having a crocodile, that not only represents that DK is more than just apes but also represents the antagonist of the series, would be great.

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
I personally think the most important thing on any fighting game roster, and particularly on Smash Bros, is to have variety.
Having another monkey would be boring, even if that monkey has a unique moveset. It's still a monkey.
On the other hand, having a crocodile, that not only represents that DK is more than just apes but also represents the antagonist of the series, would be great.
Really? We technically only have one monkey. Diddy. Yet we have a ton of human characters. Another monkey wouldn't make the roster boring. Dixie would only be boring if she were a human :)

epicgordan

Smash Ace
And here, I think, will be the designated order in which to unlock each and every one of these characters:

1. Ness
2. Lucina
3. Dark Pit
4. Wario
5. Jigglypuff
6. Falco
7. Dr. Mario
8. Ganondorf
9. Bowser Jr.
10.R.O.B.
11.Mr. Game & Watch
12.Duck Hunt
13.Mach Rider
14.Wolf
15.Dixie Kong
16.Impa
17.Ice Climbers
18.Chorus Men
19.Ridley
20.Mewtwo

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
@ Burruni Burruni : I never said that Lucina wasn't worthy of inclusion. Only that Sakurai stated that there'll be more characters like Lucina. Dr.Mario and Dark Pit being two of them I suppose.

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
Really? We technically only have one monkey. Diddy. Yet we have a ton of human characters. Another monkey wouldn't make the roster boring. Dixie would only be boring if she were a human :)
Very true, and Dixie Kong isn't even the same kind of primate as Diddy Kong. DK's an ape, Diddy is a monkey, and Dixie is a chimpanzee. Boom, variety. ^__^

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
Well, I was counting Donkey Kong too. I'd rather have a crocodile instead.

English isn't my main language, so I may have been using the wrong word to talk about monkeys/apes :3

Burruni

Smash Hero
@ Burruni Burruni : I never said that Lucina wasn't worthy of inclusion. Only that Sakurai stated that there'll be more characters like Lucina. Dr.Mario and Dark Pit being two of them I suppose.
Once again, cite where he stated this. I don't recall this happening at any time and the latter two have yet to be officially revealed or confirmed through sufficient gameplay. In a "perfect" situation without the image leak, the one and only argument would be Lucina herself.

I was also stating that even with how "worthy" she was, she barely got in for unknown reasons that were later justified by the whole properties difference much after she was planned as a costume.

Impa's fairly irrelevant to her series for the main titles (to elaborate: I mean the series as a whole. The Triforce and the three spirits tied to it are those which he very foundation of it are based on. Impa has been a caretaker, a mentor, and a guardian across three/four games, depending on one's view of the oracles games, as her most major roles), sadly enough. Hyrule Warriors would also justify Darunia, Ruto, Zant, Midna and Ghirahim.. and the only two of those to be in this game in any capacity are so as assist trophies IF it was recent and/or public enough. Going into development later than X/Y, whose representative was chosen based on conceptart, and with less of the public amount than Pokemon had up until only about 4 months ago, it is really unlikely to be relevant into any character's chances.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
iunno

I think the roster is pretty diverse and varied as is. I honestly don't know what's missing now that a mech fighter (Bowser Jr) got in.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Once again, cite where he stated this. I don't recall this happening at any time and the latter two have yet to be officially revealed or confirmed through sufficient gameplay. In a "perfect" situation without the image leak, the one and only argument would be Lucina herself.

I was also stating that even with how "worthy" she was, she barely got in for unknown reasons that were later justified by the whole properties difference much after she was planned as a costume.

Impa's fairly irrelevant to her series for the main titles (to elaborate: I mean the series as a whole. The Triforce and the three spirits tied to it are those which he very foundation of it are based on. Impa has been a caretaker, a mentor, and a guardian across three/four games, depending on one's view of the oracles games, as her most major roles), sadly enough. Hyrule Warriors would also justify Darunia, Ruto, Zant, Midna and Ghirahim.. and the only two of those to be in this game in any capacity are so as assist trophies IF it was recent and/or public enough. Going into development later than X/Y, whose representative was chosen based on conceptart, and with less of the public amount than Pokemon had up until only about 4 months ago, it is really unlikely to be relevant into any character's chances.
She's not fairly irrelevant. In fact, her name alone means 'to impart', and to impart into something doesn't mean you are not involved. This has been stated in Hyrule Historica by Nintendo officials.

Skyward Sword and Ocarina of Time had Impa in an extremely important, story-related role. Skyward Sword even moreso than Ocarina of Time. And both of those games where extremely recent to when Smash began inclusion.

Difference between Lucina and Impa is that Lucina actually posed herself off as Marth, and is from his direct bloodline, and uses the exact same weapon. She's a descendant of Marth, and fights exactly the same. Impa has been Sheik's tutor in OOT, but that's where it ends.

Darunia, Ruto, Zant, Midna and Ghirahim all are one-offs. And Impa simply is not. She's had many roles in the series, and while two of them are only real significant, she's at least there most of the time. Which in the Zelda lore is rather uncommon. Thing with Impa alone remains that she's always heavily involved in the story.

She was always the only good choice for a Zelda newcomer, and just now people are slightly opening their eyes on this issue. And even if she wouldn't make it in this game, she's pretty much a lock for the next Smash.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
A king crocodile with a blunderbuss.
A clone with psychic powers.
A pirate dragon from outer space.
These are (really specific) aesthetics, not concepts. When I think of concepts I'm talking like a grounded martial artist (Little Mac), a puppeteer (Rosalina), a mech fighter (Bowser Jr), a stat changer (Shulk), etc cetera.

I mean, not saying they can't be unique or bring new concepts themselves because even before the game was announced the only ones I thought were missing were a martial artist and a mech fighter, but there are more than that. Arguing diversity in regards to aesthetics is...kinda subjective really. We've got plenty of variety in that regards, and I'm pretty sure no one wants K.Rool or Ridley just to have a crocodile or a alien pterodactyl thing in the game, whereas you could easily see someone want a character for the concept they could bring. Despite being a Punch Out fun, I actually mostly wanted Mac just to have a martial artist in the game, and I wanted Jr SOLELY for the idea of having a character fight on a mech. (Which I didn't think would happen but whoa)

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
iunno

I think the roster is pretty diverse and varied as is. I honestly don't know what's missing now that a mech fighter (Bowser Jr) got in.
In terms of weapons, we still truly lack someone who uses either Spears or Axes, two of the most common weapon types. Bandana Dee 4 Sm4sh!

We have plenty of fist users, gun users, sword users, two hammer users, some bow users, a twinblade user, and even a whip user (:4zss:). For mages, Robin, Palutena, Zelda, and even Rosalina fill this up in bits and pieces.

In terms of hand-to-hand fighting styles, we have Boxing, Mixed Martial Arts, and Military-style combat present (:4littlemac:,:4lucario:/Mii Brawler, :4fox:). We even have the Power Ranger/Ultraman/Kamen Rider anime-ish style like :4falcon:. But we lack a grappler style the likes of Sumo and Wrestling. For sword fighting styles we do have two fencers, pretty much the only non-samurai defined fighting style :4marth::4lucina:.

We have two Ninjas, but no Samurai.... no Pirates.
Assuming Duck Hunt is real, we have a proper quadruped fighter (sorry:ivysaur:).

We have a "summoner" with :4olimar: and :4pacman:, and "mounted" combat with Bowser Jr.

Honestly, we lack Spears, Axes, Samurai, Pirates, and a real grappler. That's all I can think of... for fighting styles.

Artistically, we have (semi)realism predominately with Little Mac and the Zelda character designs, cartoonish :4tlink: and the likes, futuristic :4samus: to feudal :4myfriends:. We even have Sprites :4pacman: and LCD frames:gw:. We DO lack something with a really hand-drawn feel to it... like a Rhythm Heaven character.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
These are (really specific) aesthetics, not concepts. When I think of concepts I'm talking like a grounded martial artist (Little Mac), a puppeteer (Rosalina), a mech fighter (Bowser Jr), a stat changer (Shulk), etc cetera.

I mean, not saying they can't be unique or bring new concepts themselves because even before the game was announced the only ones I thought were missing were a martial artist and a mech fighter, but there are more than that. Arguing diversity in regards to aesthetics is...kinda subjective really. We've gone plenty of variety in that regards, and I'm pretty sure no one wants K.Rool or Ridley just to have a crocodile or a alien pterodactyl thing in the game, whereas you could easily see someone want a character for the concept they could bring. Despite being a Punch Out fun, I actually mostly wanted Mac just to have a martial artist in the game, and I wanted Jr SOLELY for the idea of having a character fight on a mech. (Which I didn't think would happen but whoa)
Yeah, it's kind of like when people say Dixie HAS to be unique because of her hair attacks, when really, her "hair attacks" can functionally be identical to an arm when it comes to striking and grabbing.

Nothing against Dixie in particular by the way, as I'm sure she could be an awesome fighter. I'm just saying it takes more then an aesthetic change (which weapons often are) to truly make a character unique.

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484

I mean, not saying they can't be unique or bring new concepts themselves because even before the game was announced the only ones I thought were missing were a martial artist and a mech fighter, but there are more than that. Arguing diversity in regards to aesthetics is...kinda subjective really. We've gone plenty of variety in that regards, and I'm pretty sure no one wants K.Rool or Ridley just to have a crocodile or a alien pterodactyl thing in the game, whereas you could easily see someone want a character for the concept they could bring. Despite being a Punch Out fun, I actually mostly wanted Mac just to have a martial artist in the game, and I wanted Jr SOLELY for the idea of having a character fight on a mech. (Which I didn't think would happen but whoa)
Well then, K. Rool fills the gap of ranged heavyweight characters, Mewtwo fills the gap of characters with mind powers and Ridley fills the gap of big, flying characters.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Dixie would be a light-weight grappler, and that's something that's awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom