• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morbi

Scavenger
Nintendo took down the videos so they can't be fake.
You are quite incorrect, Nintendo has a right to remove alleged leaked game-play from YouTube.

....You are going to end up rubbing Dark Pit in people's faces, aren't you?:glare:
No; at first, I was going to... but then I realized something entirely relevant... I already did that! No one needs me to rub it in their faces, they are so adamant about his non-inclusion as a character, that they will remember my name, they will remember all of the evidence that they blatantly disregarded, they will remember who was correct and who was not... :troll:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
You are quite incorrect, Nintendo has a right to remove alleged leaked game-play from YouTube.

No; at first, I was going to... but then I realized something entirely relevant... I already did that! No one needs me to rub it in their faces, they are so adamant about his non-inclusion as a character, that they will remember my name, they will remember all of the evidence that they blatantly disregarded, they will remember who was correct and who was not... :troll:
You are evil, you know that?:p

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I was trying my absolute hardest to avoid this thread for a bit there, but I've come back to say that you were right Morbid. You called it and I'm giving you recognition for it.

However, I wasn't necessarily wrong as I did say that he was definitely teased in some form or another!

Congrats.

Zynux

Smash Lord
RIP Reptilian Wreckers
They're too good for Smash anyway. Just look at how they reacted to this:

They, along with Mewtwo, will always be the best and they know it. Don't feel too bad.

Also, I haven't even touched the Ridley and K. Rool thread yet but I can already see the fire and smoke from here. Norfair, if you will (heh puns...trying to lighten the mood)

My Reptilian brethren...:scared:

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I was trying my absolute hardest to avoid this thread for a bit there, but I've come back to say that you were right Morbid. You called it and I'm giving you recognition for it.

However, I wasn't necessarily wrong as I did say that he was definitely teased in some form or another!

Congrats.
I cannot accept this gracious praise until Dark Pit is officially confirmed; however, I thank you for your consideration. You, good sir, serve as the perfect example of someone who remembered my glorious speculation and came to me! It has already begun...

Weeman

Smash Crusader
I cannot accept this gracious praise until Dark Pit is officially confirmed; however, I thank you for your consideration. You, good sir, serve as the perfect example of someone who remembered my glorious speculation and came to me! It has already begun...
inb4 Leak is fake and Dark Pit is a costume :troll:

Morbi

Scavenger
inb4 Leak is fake and Dark Pit is a costume :troll:
To set the record straight, I do believe that the leak is fake; however, my faith for Dark Pit is as strong as ever, nothing as changed.

In the event that Dark Pit is not in the game, I am going to totally assert that he was a character at first but Sakurai witnessed the negative reception and decided to make him an alternate costume. :troll:

I jest, I jest. I can only joke about the possibility of Dark Pit not being in the game because the notion is very real as of current. He is already sitting nice and comfortably in the game. :troll:

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
This leak is not fake.

It is probably the most comprehensive leak ever, all the things it's included are so expansive that any way anyone tries to disprove it is when they're grasping at straws.

Oh, and for the uninformed, Ridley is in, but Dixie is the DK newcomer. Mewtwo and Impa are also in, supposedly. But that's just what the leaker said recently.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Until tomorrow's PotD shows off a character with different art The leak has a lot more evidence today that it is real... almost inarguable. So I'm gonna say my stance of the components.

:popo:: AND I~I WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOU! Legitimately, these were the most fun characters I didn't know how to play competently. Since their problems were cited over half a year ago and that :4olimar:/:rosalina: work, combined with Sakurai's clear love for this duo.. I just can't wrap my mind around why they aren't back.

:lucas:/:wolf:: I hate to see them go for their fans, but they were the most debatable Brawl vets who still had a chance (Sorry :squirtle:/:ivysaur:/:snake:). It still feels wrong to think that both of them are gone after what Lucina made me re-evaluate.

:drmario:: WHY?! All the "advantages" he had over :mariomelee: should've just been on Mario in the first place. Dr. Mario ws the FIRST THING that people thought about when Alternate Costumes were seen. Just... my mind hurts trying to get the rationale.

:4bowser:'s only child: I am fairly upset that the Paintbrush isn't part of his core moveset, but overall his inclusion and how he works is DIFFERENT than the partial moveset I came up with, but could end up better.

:4pit:'s shadow: ....If he uses almost entirely new moves out of the weapon types we have yet to see from KI:U, I won't be as upset. I loved Uprising, but Pit + Palutena was all the character representation it needed, based on theoretical Pit alt specials.

Duck Hunt Dog: Until I have Sakurai official news saying he is in, I will deny him. When more dynamic and desired retros were unceremoniously turned into Assist Trophies, I just don't see why to bring HIM in, since he looks so... Disney, and all that character was known for was being a giant d-wad laughing when you screwed up. It seems so contrary.

Shulk: WE GAVE YOU SO MUCH POTENTIAL, AND YOU GAVE US ANOTHER :4marth: (quasi) clone! Why another Dolphin Slash?! Why just cycle through the monado arts?! You could've made him unique with a Talent gauge which allows you to switch in and out of Monado mode with buffed versions of the specials based on the Monado arts! We just... we saw so much that could be done.

:ganondorf::ganondorfmelee: FALCONDORF LIVES. YES. YES. YES. THIS IS WHAT I WANTED. AS A GANONDORF MAIN I AM CONTENT WITH THIS DECISION FOR SAKURAI NOT TO MASSIVELY CHANGE HIS MAIN.:ganondorfmelee::ganondorf:

I'm still hoping for Marshal over Chorus Kids and Bandana Dee in general. I'm not giving up for another 19 days.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
:drmario:: WHY?! All the "advantages" he had over :mariomelee: should've just been on Mario in the first place. Dr. Mario ws the FIRST THING that people thought about when Alternate Costumes were seen. Just... my mind hurts trying to get the rationale.
As a Dr. Mario main in Melee, this is what I wanted in Brawl. A nice mixture of the two characters, bringing their best attributes into one character.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
This leak is not fake.

It is probably the most comprehensive leak ever, all the things it's included are so expansive that any way anyone tries to disprove it is when they're grasping at straws.

Oh, and for the uninformed, Ridley is in, but Dixie is the DK newcomer. Mewtwo and Impa are also in, supposedly. But that's just what the leaker said recently.
Lol for the uninformed. No newcomers beyond those in the CCS leak have been confirmed. Leakers believe there are more, no proof (though its likely) and each has released a separate, conflicting, list of characters they claim are in the game, though both are knwn trolls. Ridley is not confirmed, nor is Dixie, nor Impa, nor Mewtwo, nor Mach Rider, nor Chorus Kids. It may or may not be any combination of 0-5 of them

EDIT: @ Autumn ♫ Autumn ♫ Too much Lucas and Wolf. Props for still believing in Issac though

EDIT2: @ Burruni Burruni Shulk seems to be an amalgram of all the swords men, He has some of Roy's moves, Marth/Lucina moves, Links moves, and I think B still changes arts or whatever it is he does. Not quite a clone, but nothing really that special

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
So in general speculation:
1. Nobody predicted WFT
2. Villager was generally ignored while everyone was requesting highly popular characters.
3. Nobody thought Rosalina was in because "a 5th Mario character wasn't necessary."
4. After Rosalina no one thought Bowser Jr. was going to be in, and again "6 Mario characters aren't necessary."
5. Greninja was basically too new to be in Smash.
6. Duck Hunt Dog was overshadowed by Takamaru and Lip.
7. People were biased that Dr. Mario wasn't going to be in, people thought he was an alt. because "it's his perfect role"
8. Dark Pit: Same as above.
9. Chrom was expected because of Gematsu, and barely anyone predicted Robin.
10. Lucina, same as above.
11. People thinking only highly requested newcomers were going to be in the final roster.

Smash 4 speculation for the majority of people sucked baaaaaaaallllssss..

cybersai

Smash Ace
But where is the confirmation Ice Climbers, Lucas and Wolf are truly gone? I can understand Snake not returning but them?

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I don't know how you could mix Mario and Doc. Project M's Mario ended up being a character that was, in all honesty, too good.
In Melee, this is how it's been:

Mario the safer character, but has to work harder to get the KO.
Doc the riskier character, but can go for the kill quicker.

It's options like these that can give the game depth. There's also other things like their different approach often and how one favors combos over the other etc. The setbacks each have makes the metagame balanced and interesting. PM Mario is frankly a safe character that can kill quick. I like Doc for his agressive and risky playstyle, so that's why I don't like the idea of merging their best attributes.

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
1. Nobody predicted WFT
2. Villager was generally ignored while everyone was requesting highly popular characters.
3. Nobody thought Rosalina was in because "a 5th Mario character wasn't necessary."
4. After Rosalina no one thought Bowser Jr. was going to be in, and again "6 Mario characters aren't necessary."
7. People were biased that Dr. Mario wasn't going to be in, people thought he was an alt. because "it's his perfect role"
11. People thinking only highly requested newcomers were going to be in the final roster.

Here's my opinions:

1. True
2. I thought he was nearly a shoe-in honestly.
3. I thought we'd see either Rosalina or Bowser Jr.
4. I agree with the first half.
5. I only thought he was possible with a Kalos Trainer.
6. True.
7. That's not really bias, but I thought that would be the case.
8. Same, but I knew we'd see him somehow, just not as a separate character.
9. I thought Chrom was most likely, then Robin following very closely.
10. Lucina was a far third.
11. I didn't think we'd see too many popular characters, however, I was hoping to be proven wrong.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
The man wasn't kidding. He cut 2 Pokemon, Snake, Lucas, Ice Climbers and possibly Wolf. RIP fellas! I won't be able to stay mad at this roster for long due to the trolling potential of DHD, but losing Snake hits me right in the feels.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Honestly this is all I needed to see

Waft being back of all his specials suggests him being mostly unchanged. I'm happy!

Last edited:

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Can we chill out on the Shulk is a clone talk until we have more than 30 seconds of gameplay of him?

Burruni

Smash Hero
1. Nobody predicted WFT

I'll concede 1 and 2.
I was hoping for Rosalina, because of her quickly becoming one of my favorite Mario characters next to Luigi and Yoshi. I was expecting a bit more of a Mage-y moveset.
As with @Rocakphin, I expected Chespin-Braixen-Greninja
HE ISN'T IN UNTIL SAKURAI SAYS SO. DENIAL OR NOT I STAND.
Because it is STILL his perfect role.
Same as above IF his moveset is similar.
I always said "Robin would be a better fighter, but Chrom is a bit more recognizable as a face. Chrom and ESPECIALLY Lucina would just be really Marth-y unless that utilize Chrom's shield or both of their abilities to use Spears too. It's between Robin and Chrom."
Lucina was meant to be an alt but became a character even beyond Sakurai's vision. When SAKURAI can't predict Sakurai speculation is pointless.
ONLY highly requested would be against all of Smash history. I don't think many people requested :falcon64: or :fox64: when they were bound to their vehicles. "Who the hell is :gawmelee:/:icsmelee:?" "SERIOUSLY?! They put in :rob:?!" And even from day one for Sm4sh, it was clear that fan demand wasn't going to pick everyone (:4wiifit:). I still hold hope in my big 3 requests: A non :4marth:y Shulk, Marshal, and Bandana Dee. Ridley was deconfirmed in April, as far as I am concerned.

Edit: I probably am a TOUCH quick on the Marth-Shulk comparisons, but... he just ends up kinda bland from what's been seen, however limited. Shulk had the most potential for usique gameplay of a newcomer swordsman next to Robin due to the limited activation window of the Monado''s true power, all the positioning and other conditions that strengthened his moves in the original game, etc. It isn't the case like it was for Marth or Ike that they had a few base animations that didn't give much room for a big moveset. SHULK DID.

Last edited:

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Can we chill out on the Shulk is a clone talk until we have more than 30 seconds of gameplay of him?
Well he clearly does have the 5 or so animations I mentioned. Doesn't make him a clone by any means, but it als doesnt point to him being radically unique :troll:

Gunla

wow, gaming!
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
I thought Villager was practically a shoo-in.

I'll concede with DP, Doc, Rosalina and a few others, but I seriously never took that comment Sakurai made to heart because he often changes his mind. Especially when 5+ years pass.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
I am sad. We lost six great friends (:popo::ivysaur::lucas::snake::squirtle::wolf:) and the unrevealed newcomers (along with the revealed newcomers) are not worth the loss of those six in my opinion (not even :4littlemac::4megaman::4palutena:or:4robinm: cheer me up).

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Smash speculation has been overall fantastic for me. All these characters that bring something and very few clones. The cuts are meaningless to me. I get so many of my beloved characters that I didn't see coming with move sets better then I can even imagine like Bowser Jr and Rosalina.

Robin, while I still believe in the Gematsu, was a wonderful surprise that blew me away. Lucina as well, my god that trailer was awesome.

I don't think people expect to say this, but I was glad I was spectacularly wrong about everything. This is a beautiful roster to me, and the fact that there is a chance we may get more is just so exciting. Can't wait to play as all these beautiful newcomers. I'm glad I made the journey with you guys. <3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom