• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
It's a combination of a character's importance to their own company, and fans who bring them to attention to Sakurai. We're not going to have Billy Hatcher, Phoenix Wright, Klonoa, or Bomberman no matter how much a small group cries for them. There's a reason Sakurai calls them "guest characters." This isn't Nintendo and close friends, this is Nintendo and big named associates.
Well, Sakurai has stated that Namco had other characters that, if it were simply for including a Bandai character,may have been chosen (such as Heihachi). Yet, that Pacman, being so iconic and cartoony, fit best for smash.

Pacman has had many crossovers with Nintendo. Megaman is the most Nintendo character you could possibly get from Capcom, and was chosen because fans asked for him. I'm not sure what point exactly you are trying to make, because fans asking for a character, and Nintendo-relevance, have both been proven to be helpful.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I think it's ironic that Kamek would be a Yoshi character if he was playable, yet he was deconfirmed from being a hazard on a Mario stage.
People trying to ride on the fact that Yoshi has his own icon in Smash, despite the fact that he's still a Mario character.

There are no Yoshi exclusive characters, just a bunch of under-aged Mario characters and Yoshi.
In before someone brings up a generic enemy or something.
I dunno, I find it unlikely that he would put in a character that had never appeared on a Nintendo system. Not saying that that's the only criteria he looks at for third parties, but you know he has to take it into consideration. He doesn't want to advertise too much for his competitors.
Except Sakurai has stated that he doesn't care about "console wars"

There's also the criteria of "having to at least have one game on a Nintendo console."

That's one game, not "most of their franchise on Nintendo consoles."

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
People trying to ride on the fact that Yoshi has his own icon in Smash, despite the fact that he's still a Mario character.

There are no Yoshi exclusive characters, just a bunch of under-aged Mario characters and Yoshi.

There's also the criteria of "having to at least have one game on a Nintendo console."

I understand Yoshi represents his own series or whatever in Smash Bros, but he's still a Mario character like you said. That's why if Pokemon or Zelda got six character slots, it wouldn't be a big deal anyway since Mario still does have six characters.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I understand Yoshi represents his own series or whatever in Smash Bros, but he's still a Mario character like you said. That's why if Pokemon or Zelda got six character slots, it wouldn't be a big deal anyway since Mario still does have six characters.
We can all argue Yoshi is a Mario character, and he is. So are all the Marioverse characters, the ones in the Subseries.
Nintendo recognizes it as a subseries, it has its own logo an everything, as it is in sales recognized with its IPs.
It is a fact that Yoshi is a subseries, and a separate series in Smash.

Love this argument.
Not just Mario with its own symbol. He is considered to have his own game series. Ignore it if you want, it doesn't change the fact.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Seven, really. Wario is in the unique position of, while still being a Mario character, truly is a representative of his own franchise as well. With WarioWare, there are actually a multitude of characters that have absolutely nothing to do with Mario, which is why we'll get a second Wario character far before we ever reach the point of a second Yoshi character even being considered.

One could argue eight, as DK still makes his regular appearance in Mario spin-off titles, but he's truly enough of his own character to not be considered one, and his franchise is generally separated enough as well. Mario would be the DK character, really.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Well it's pretty old to be posting on forums :p
So forums are meant for younglins only? That sounds like a high school kind of mentality where your letting opinion dictate what you should or should not be able to enjoy. When you reach a certain age you'll realize that others opinions of what you like don't mean jack. Enjoy what you like as long as you want, your only as old as you feel.
There's been at least one Castlevania game on every Nintendo system save for the Wii U. Dracula would also just be really fun to play as, and would likely have a pretty sweet moveset.
As much as I enjoy Dracula there's just one problem, he never originated from a game, that would make smash bros dip into other mediums which sakurai isn't about to do. It would be a Belmont if anything, but as we can see these third parties will want their biggest horses in this race, and castlevania just isn't that.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
We can all argue Yoshi is a Mario character, and he is. So are all the Marioverse characters, the ones in the Subseries.
Nintendo recognizes it as a subseries, it has its own logo an everything, as it is in sales recognized with its IPs.
It is a fact that Yoshi is a subseries, and a separate series in Smash.

Love this argument.
Not just Mario with its own symbol. He is considered to have his own game series. Ignore it if you want, it doesn't change the fact.
You are technically right, just how it's technically right that Mario is either in/or playable in a good amount of the Yoshi games.

ThePsychoWolf

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3926-5863-0271

Nintendo, the company that Sakurai works for? They most certainly care about console wars.
Metal Gear may be more prominent now, but in the 80's, Castlevania put them on the map. There's also just much more CV stuff to draw from.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Tap-Tap the Red Nose. Before you say he's too big, he can be resized. I think a round creature with spikes is unheard as a playable character and he could have a fresh playstyle. =o)

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Nintendo, the company that Sakurai works for? They most certainly care about console wars.
You do know that Sakurai left Nintendo and formed his own company, right?

Shows how much they trust his decisions, they got two outside companies to work on one of their biggest titles. Crazy, right?

Yes, Nintendo has a say in things, but Sakurai actively fought against them until they allowed Snake to be in Brawl.
Think about that.

Edit: Forgot to mention that no, Nintendo doesn't care about Sony or M$. They do their own thing while those two go at it. Sony and M$ don't care about Nintendo either, they know that Nintendo is it's own thing that won't go anywhere any time soon, the president of Sony even owns two Wii U's.

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master

Have you forgotten?

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
So forums are meant for younglins only? That sounds like a high school kind of mentality where your letting opinion dictate what you should or should not be able to enjoy. When you reach a certain age you'll realize that others opinions of what you like don't mean jack. Enjoy what you like as long as you want, your only as old as you feel.
Haha trust me, I'm a straightedge kid with tattoos at a party school, I stopped caring what people thought of me a long time ago, I just always got a younger vibe from this place (of course, the pros are mostly around my age, but they lurk in more "serious" threads)

Yo, stork for smash doe, I love storks

Last edited:

ThePsychoWolf

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3926-5863-0271
You do know that Sakurai left Nintendo and formed his own company, right?

Shows how much they trust his decisions, they got two outside companies to work on one of their biggest titles. Crazy, right?

Yes, Nintendo has a say in things, but Sakurai actively fought against them until they allowed Snake to be in Brawl.
Think about that.

Edit: Forgot to mention that no, Nintendo doesn't care about Sony or M$. They do their own thing while those two go at it. Sony and M$ don't care about Nintendo either, they know that Nintendo is it's own thing that won't go anywhere any time soon, the president of Sony even owns two Wii U's.
Project Sora is hardly an 'outside company'. Nintendo owns 72% stake in it.
Do not take anything a company says at face value. We all know they are competing, regardless of how 'friendly' they may seem. Remember how Sony ripped off the Wii with that Move crap? Clearly they're ignoring Nintendo. It's also fairly common for members of competing companies to own, and enjoy, each-others' products.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Project Sora is hardly an 'outside company'. Nintendo owns 72% stake in it.
Do not take anything a company says at face value. We all know they are competing, regardless of how 'friendly' they may seem. Remember how Sony ripped off the Wii with that Move crap? Clearly they're ignoring Nintendo. It's also fairly common for members of competing companies to own, and enjoy, each-others' products.
Don't be ridiculous, Nintendo isn't competing in some petty "console war" with Sony or M$, that'd be like a football team competing with a baseball team. Both are sports teams yes, but it's a completely different audience and completely different end game.

And no, Nintendo owns a 72% stake in Project Sora, and only a 28% stake in Sora Ltd. Nintendo owned about half of Rareware but that didn't stop Rare from selling themselves out to Micro$oft without any say from Nintendo, for example.

MagnesD3

Smash Master

As much as I enjoy Dracula there's just one problem, he never originated from a game, that would make smash bros dip into other mediums which sakurai isn't about to do. It would be a Belmont if anything, but as we can see these third parties will want their biggest horses in this race, and castlevania just isn't that.
I agree there is nothing (well almost nothing) that you should feel bad enjoying depending on your age.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
:4bowser::4falcon::4charizard::4dedede::4diddy::4dk::4fox::4greninja::4kirby::4myfriends::4littlemac::4link::4lucario::4lucina::4luigi::4mario::4marth::4megaman::4metaknight::4zss::4zelda::4yoshi::4wiifit::4villager::4tlink::4sonic::4sheik::4samus::rosalina::4robinm::4pit::4pikachu::4peach::4pacman::4palutena::4olimar::4mii::ganondorf::falco::jigglypuff::warioc::rob::ness2::popo::gw::substitute::substitute:

I think this is the second time I do this, but I'll do it again after thinking more and now that Broken Knight is back. Honestly I didn't have any character expectations to begin with, and I wanted Sakurai to surprise me, and he has done it. Unless you bring up Pacman screw Pacman. He really broke new ground on not putting Chrom in, and I going to say it, he did right and rendered the "logical choice" excuse bull.... and thank God he killed the Gematsu leak. Sakurai said he still had some newcomer videos so for playing it safe I'll say it's two. There is no question that Ness, Jiggly, Ganon,Wario, Grab Climbers and Mr. Game and Watch are returning. R.O.B is unique so why not, he saved Nintendo of America so kids, leave him alone. Lucas, I don't know, but Ness is more liked anyways. Still suspisious about Snake, but he is probably cut. Nobody cares about Squirtle and Ivysaur, people only liked using Charizard, they are gone. As of those newcomers.... Mario does NOT need other character, Toad sucks and is Peach's N-Special and DON'T YOU DARE bring the stupid Alfonzo meme. Bowser Jr represents nothing, nuff said. Dr. Mario as an alt. is fine. Dixie? No thanks. DK and Diddy represent enough. StarFox, Falco likely returns, don't know about Wolf, I could care less about him, and not many normal people care about Krystal, but I wouldn't mind if she is in. Too much controversy with StarFox, I'll let Sakurai talk. Zelda doesn't need anyone, they are fine, and facing it, nobody cares about Impa. Pokemon is a total mess, Mewtwo is not a bad idea but again too much controversy, Sakurai will decide his fate. Lucina is our new Roy, and has more interesting character than him. If you supported Roy for Smash 4, and didn't play Fire Emblem 6, go to Coolrom.com and download Fire Emblem 6, you will HATE Roy. Fire Emblem is fine. Wario and Yoshi don't need anyone, they are Mario characters in the core. Ridley is too big and was deconfirmed centuries ago. Kirby is perfect. Chorus Kids, man, boys, or however the hell they are called can sleep with the fish, they are ********. Also, just because Lucina is a clone DOESN'T mean there should be more clones, this is NOT Melee, so stop with the argument "this character could be a clone of the other one because Lucina this..." Black Shadow? No, Captain Falcon is enough. DON'T YOU DARE bringing up Tails, Protoman and any other thinrd party, this is NOT Nintendo VS Sega or Nintendo VS Capcom, Rock, Sonic and Pacman are SPECIAL GUESTS, and adding all those third parties would take out all what makes them SPECIAL GUESTS. If you really want to play with Sonic characters, play Smash Flash or hack textures, but leave Smash 4 alone. If you want to play Zero or Ryu, play Marvel VS Capcom. I'll let Sakurai talk about those said last newcomers, and this is my safest bet of the veterans.
I'll have to disagree about the Zelda part, zelda is nintendo's 4th biggest franchise and since Mario and Pokemon have gotten new reps zelda deserves one too, plus we haven't had a new zelda character since melee. And if hyrule warriors is anything to go by plenty of people care about impa and even for the people that don't that's a reason to put her in, like what they did with Fire Emblem in melee

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I agree there is nothing (well almost nothing) that you should feel bad enjoying depending on your age.
True that, I still enjoy finding a pudding cup in my lunch.

I never actually got pudding cups in my lunch. Well, I never actually got a lunch. I still love pudding cups though. Off topic man.

ThePsychoWolf

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3926-5863-0271
Don't be ridiculous, Nintendo isn't competing in some petty "console war" with Sony or M$, that'd be like a football team competing with a baseball team. Both are sports teams yes, but it's a completely different audience and completely different end game.

And no, Nintendo owns a 72% stake in Project Sora, and only a 28% stake in Sora Ltd. Nintendo owned about half of Rareware but that didn't stop Rare from selling themselves out to Micro$oft without any say from Nintendo, for example.
But they are, lol. They don't stoop to the same lows that Sony and MS do, but they are most certainly part of the same market. The PS Vita is a DIRECT COMPETITOR with the 3DS. Just like PSP was a DIRECT COMPETITOR with the DS. The Wii was COMPETING DIRECTLY with the PS3 and 360, and won handily.

Exactly, Nintendo owns 72% stake in Project Sora, which is one of the two 'outside companies' that are currently developing Super Smash Bros. for 3DS/Wii U.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
I have this weird feeling that Ridley will be confirmed as a stage hazard tomorrow.
All hell would break loose. We would be bathing in salt within the hour. I sure wish Sakurai would get the truth out already, because if he believes that a stage boss version or playable boss mode version is hype worthy... he's in for a wake up call of Ridley proportions.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
But they are, lol. They don't stoop to the same lows that Sony and MS do, but they are most certainly part of the same market. The PS Vita is a DIRECT COMPETITOR with the 3DS. Just like PSP was a DIRECT COMPETITOR with the DS. The Wii was COMPETING DIRECTLY with the PS3 and 360, and won handily.
Whatever floats your boat, mate.

Exactly, Nintendo owns 72% stake in Project Sora, which is one of the two 'outside companies' that are currently developing Super Smash Bros. for 3DS/Wii U.
Nope.
The two companies developing the game would be Sora Ltd. and Bandai Namco, only one of which is slightly owned by Nintendo.

In fact, Project Sora was officially shut down on June 30, 2012. I don't think a debunk company is making any games...

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
Maybe this will inspire you!!!

My Ultimate Prediction Roster!!! (if sakurai truly wants this to be the best character game ever.)

EVERYBODY WINS!!! (Cue's main theme music)
All my yes. I would pay twice the retail cost for this roster, not kidding.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Maybe this will inspire you!!!

My Ultimate Prediction Roster!!! (if sakurai truly wants this to be the best character game ever.)

EVERYBODY WINS!!! (Cue's main theme music)
NO! TAKE OUT CHARACTER A AND REPLACE HIM WITH CHARACTER B! THEN IT'S PERFECT! 0 Nines out of Ten!

This is a damn good roster, as much as I still think the Chorus Men died with Gematsu. The only thing I could ask for is Rayman, but that'd just be greedy of me, this is already a very fine and large selection. 9.9/10 the .01 is for murr Rayman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom