• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gold_Jacobson

Smash Journeyman
I was thinking more along the lines of "Buy the Wii U version, get the extra characters for the 3DS for free. Also, you can buy the DLC separate for the 3DS for $5" or something like that.
Yeah. Any variation of that is what I'm afraid of. I want the full roster ASAP for 3ds.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
I can understand that the 3DS can't support as much content as the Wii U, but why does everyone assume that the content we're missing out on is characters? I mean, I get that it's the only thing shared among both versions, but there is NO reason to think that if the 3DS version was larger, it'd be put to having more characters.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Not gonna lie I wish the 3ds smash didnt exist so there would be more characters overall...
There wouldn't, in fact the only thing we would get would be less development time for an earlier date. Given that Sakurai isn't one to rush his games.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Not gonna lie I wish the 3ds smash didnt exist so there would be more characters overall...
There is really no evidence to suggest this would be a reality. There's nothing to suggest they would have spent more time on the Wii U version if the 3DS version didn't exist.

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
The only issue I can possibly see happening because of the 3DS is the Ice Climbers. That being said, they're pretty much guaranteed. I would be very annoyed though if the Ice Climbers got cut just because the 3DS couldn't handle them.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The only issue I can possibly see happening because of the 3DS is the Ice Climbers. That being said, they're pretty much guaranteed. I would be very annoyed though if the Ice Climbers got cut just because the 3DS couldn't handle them.
I'd be much more than annoyed. :p

D

Deleted member

I wonder if instead of cutting the Ice Climbers altogether, that they would just become "Ice Climber" and Popo would be reworked as a solo character with Nana as an alt ala WFT, Robin, and Villager.

Think it would be better than the alternative.

Last edited by a moderator:

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
I wonder if instead of cutting the Ice Climbers altogether, that they would just become "Ice Climber" and Popo would be reworked as a solo character with Nana as an alt ala WFT, Robin, and Villager.

That would make sense if the 3DS couldn't handle them, but people would still find a way to be outraged.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

It's better than nothing, I suppose.

Though maybe they can do something where they can't be desynched and only move as one, like what some propose may be done for the Chorus Kids.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I take the game running at 60 fps on the 3DS as a sign that whatever technical issues they had with team characters is over.
I think that including a classic, well-liked veteran characters takes priority over the game running at 60 fps, so if it came down to it, they would make the game at 30 fps to include both Climbers. At the worst, I think Nana will operate at 30fps like Assist Trophies.

ZecaOMestre

Smash Apprentice

That would be better than having them cut entirely, but the Ice Climbers would lose so much of their originality and would be quite a bland character if they started working like this

D

Deleted member

It's better than nothing, I suppose.

Though maybe they can do something where they can't be desynched and only move as one, like what some propose may be done for the Chorus Kids.
Alternatively, considering some characters were changed for balance, I'm wondering if because of how chaingrabbing and desynching made the Climbers somewhat OP provided influence in nixing the duo gimmick as it worked in Melee/Brawl as well...

Much like how Olimar was cut down from 5 Pikmin max. to 3 Pikmin max.

Last edited by a moderator:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Alternatively, considering some characters were changed for balance, I'm wondering if because of how chaingrabbing and desynching made the Climbers somewhat OP provided influence in nixing the duo gimmick as it worked in Melee/Brawl as well...
Huh. I didn't even think of that...making the duo act differently (or maybe share a hitbox, etc) while still doing duo-type things would actually eliminate a ton of issues with them.

Or just making Nana unable to grab. :p

Last edited:

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
This plus the "limited capabilities" causing certain characters (trainer, Shelda) to be cut wile others (Ice Climbers) to be a technical question mark. I hate that this is a thing, and I hate more that I'm going to buy both versions :awesome:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I didn't really like the Pokemon trainer mechanic in Brawl. And those things about transformation characters are minor to me. I'm just excited to play Smash Bros without someone else in my house using the TV when I feel like playing.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I don't think Ice Climbers will be cut. Smash wouldn't be Smash without them, and I think the technical issues could have been dealt with. Then again, I don't even know what the issues were, so I guess I really can't say...

Even if the Ice Climbers aren't in the 3DS version at launch, I feel as if they'd make an exception for them being on the Wii U. The worst reason to cut them completely would be because of the 3DS version. Oy I would rage.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
Sakurai probably said that there would be technical difficulties regarding the Ice Climbers appearance in the 3DS version of Smash only to give something for the community to speculate about.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
What would your reaction be in the hypothetical scenario that Krystal ended up being the next newcomer revealed?
I would just think to myself, "The Boards are going to be a ton of fun to read tonight! :awesome:"
I would then try my best to keep up with all of the hilarity that ensues that night.

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
I'm sure they've had enough time to fix whatever issue they had with the Ice Climbers. I personally don't like them, but I'm aware a lot of people would be really upset if they were cut, so I hope they're not.

What would your reaction be in the hypothetical scenario that Krystal ended up being the next newcomer revealed?
I'd barf. A lot.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

"We better be getting Falco and Wolf too..."

Then:

-If Falco and/or Wolf are revealed to have been cut: "SON OF A-"
-If both Falco and Wolf stay: "Ok."

Niala

Smash Ace
I'm likely the outlier in this scenario, but I would relish in the Ice Climbers being cut. I don't suspect that will be the case, however, given they've cleaned the game up to a point that it runs at 60FPS on the 3DS. Any technical problems they were having have probably been solved by now, and I doubt the Ice Climbers were such a problem they couldn't have been fixed.

EDIT: found a better gif.

Last edited:

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
That would be better than having them cut entirely, but the Ice Climbers would lose so much of their originality and would be quite a bland character if they started working like this
Fixed that for you.

Am I the only who hates when "bland character" is thrown around?

I swear this thread is "hate everything that isn't what I want" lately.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
I think you guys are being too hard on Krystal. What if she ended up becoming a really unique character? :confused:
I'm one to talk. I advocate for Toon Zelda's inclusion quite a bit...

D

Deleted member

I wouldn't give a rat's ass whether or not she's unique.
It doesn't excuse her taking Falco's or Wolf's place(s).

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
I think you guys are being too hard on Krystal. What if she ended up becoming a really unique character? :confused:
Who wants to see a character synonymous with the downfall of Starfox?

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
Stairfax Temperatures. Self-explanatory.
Who wants to see a character synonymous with the downfall of Starfox?
Grow up. You're like the Melee players that hate Brawl because it led to the end of the age of Melee at MLG/EVO.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If Krystal got confirmed her detractors would mostly do one of two things. The majority of the bandwagoners would quietly jump onto the neutral or even pro-Krystal bandwagon (which happens a lot once a character is revealed), and the ones still opposed to her inclusion would ***** and moan for a little while and then eventually simmer down.

What many say now often tends to not be indicative of what they say after the fact - people have come around to less desired inclusions than Krystal before.

Ofc I don't think she will be playable, but if she was that'd be cool.

Burruni

Smash Hero
I personally don't want a fourth Star Fox character. But I saw three aspects to her gameplay people wanted: staff user, multi-elemental fighter, fan service. Robin took the elements, Palutena has a divine staff, and the third is unwarranted... But also met. Maybe you want more and see what I and others I scanned in the Krystal board saw; but that is my stance on Krystal.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
Oh, is that the main reason people don't want to see Krystal in Smash? I enjoyed my play though with Star Fox: Adventures. I knew it wasn't held highly by many fans, but for some reason I never pegged it as being the reason people have against Krystal in Smash. I guess it makes more sense to me now.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
There's no way she'll be ever be unique enough for me. Krystal is the worst.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom