• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Was that article published before or after Bamco?
Judging only by the date here,
http://www.destructoid.com/sakurai-don-t-expect-more-characters-for-next-smash-bros-230594.phtml
Says July 3rd 2012, according to being published
& then comparing the date to this source,
http://www.polygon.com/gaming/2012/...ii-u-and-3ds-co-developed-by-bandai-namco-and
says June 21 2012, according to being published.

So yeah, shortly after NamcoBandai co-developing Smash with Sakurai, his quote then happens chronologically.

xyt4n

Smash Cadet
I was talking about the movie with him and genesect who made him promient again.
You talked with Sakurai? First, why I should believe you this? Not personally, but everyone could say, that Sakurai told something personally to someone.
Could you verified this?
And second I can not believe that he talks about such a secret and thirdly he is a troll.

Why everyone thinks that ROB is certain? A few months ago, everyone said that ROB and Snake are the most unlikely characters.

Edit: Oh wait.. Is this irony? Because I don't know the meaning of "genesect" & "promient" and could misunderstood your intention

Last edited:

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
Also my 48 character theory wouldn't be that crazy, we would get the remainder of the brawl's cast + two more unannounced characters.

Minus snake

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
I definitely think Meta Knight is going to be revealed soon with that PotD we got today. It just makes too much sense.

Also, right now we have...36 characters revealed.

Wario, Meta Knight, Ganondorf, R.O.B, Game & Watch, Ness, Falco, and Jigglypuff are all practically guaranteed. So that's +8. Brings us to 44.

Due to the small chance that Ice Climbers might have technical issues, I didn't put them with the others (even though I think they're in), so that's another +1. Makes it 45.

That leaves Snake, Lucas, Wolf, Squirtle and Ivysaur. Squirtle and Ivysaur are probably out, so we can disregard them for now.

Snake might actually be back, and Wolf arguably has no reason to be cut. Lucas could be cut, so let's say it's +2. That brings us to 47.

Add Mewtwo (who is probably in the game), along with Shulk and a potential Rhythm Heaven character, that takes us to 50.

Then you have potential clones such as Dark Pit or Dixie Kong. Plus the potential of Ridley or K.Rool. Easily over 50.

AT MINIMUM, the roster will be 50 characters.
True.:metaknight: It's troll-worthy foreshadowing of what's to come, mostly every veteran got practical confirmation. Ness & Purin are still on my sketch list, but I too can throw them all in the practical pile. It is just basic addition hypothetically speaking, & I won't need a snake-worthy evident post about justice, but maybe a brief explanation from anyone why a Rhythm Heaven character can added in the mix?

I'm ignorant to the idea of a Rhythm Heaven character can make it, I checked up their total sales & I don't recall it breaking 1.00 million. Although it is 1st party so it's a decent representation for a nintendo game.

Last edited:
NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
Honestly I think we should expect at least 50 characters. If we don't get at least 50 it'll mean one of two things:

1) We will have really few newcomers, and most of them have already been revealed, leaving no surprises whatsoever.
2) A lot of veterans have been cut to make room for newcomers.

I honestly think we'll get at least 4 or 5 more newcomers, making a total of 15 or 16, which is around the usual amount added between each game.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Honestly I think we should expect at least 50 characters. If we don't get at least 50 it'll mean one of two things:

1) We will have really few newcomers, and most of them have already been revealed, leaving no surprises whatsoever.
2) A lot of veterans have been cut to make room for newcomers.

I honestly think we'll get at least 4 or 5 more newcomers, making a total of 15 or 16, which is around the usual amount added between each game.
Assuming Mii FIghter's slot will be all 3 of them, it's 15 / 16 slots, but the moment Sakurai basically said he didn't care about slots having any competitive priority, Mii Fighters should get a separate slot for each of them. I'm still 100% confident Sm4sh will have 18+ Newcomers, without a doubt.

Adding that 18+ as the least number of Newcomers to Brawl's veterans to be released, the estimate is over 52+ characters.

Last edited:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
In my view, the LEAST we'll get is 53 characters:
Minimum Roster.png

I feel that this is the least we can reasonably expect. Even still, I don't think Snake has been cut, and we may easily get more than 3 more newcomers and Mewtwo.

mahnamahna

Smash Cadet
From the very start -
34 veterans (Mewtwo + all Brawl veterans except Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Snake)
20 newcomers
  1. Megaman
  2. Little Mac
  3. Rosalina and Luma
  4. Wii Fit Trainer
  5. Villager
  6. Greninja
  7. Palutena
  8. Mii Fighter
  9. Pac-Man
  10. Robin
  11. Lucina
  12. Shulk
  13. Chorus Men
  14. King K. Rool
  15. Dixie Kong
  16. Ridley
  17. Impa
  18. 8-Bit Mario/Paper Mario
  19. Retro rep (Duck Hunt Dog or Mach Rider)
  20. Completely random character no one expected (Chibi Robo, Issac, etc - someone who many thought wasn't too likely for SSB4 for various reasons)
With 5 DLC newcomers (adds up to 10x6 or 6x10 with random spot)
  1. Sceptile
  2. Krystal
  3. Inkling (if too new of character, then a highly requested newcomer)
  4. Bandana Dee
  5. Yarn Yoshi (wouldn't mind someone different in his place)

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
You guys thinking it will be under 50 need to shoot your hype into MAXIMUM OGREDRVE!

download.jpg

Really though, if the roster is over 50, I look forward to it and have no problem with it. As long as the game is balanced well enough that is.

Last edited:

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
From the very start -
34 veterans (Mewtwo + all Brawl veterans except Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Snake)
20 newcomers
  1. Megaman
  2. Little Mac
  3. Rosalina and Luma
  4. Wii Fit Trainer
  5. Villager
  6. Greninja
  7. Palutena
  8. Mii Fighter
  9. Pac-Man
  10. Robin
  11. Lucina
  12. Shulk
  13. Chorus Men
  14. King K. Rool
  15. Dixie Kong
  16. Ridley
  17. Impa
  18. 8-Bit Mario/Paper Mario
  19. Retro rep (Duck Hunt Dog or Mach Rider)
  20. Completely random character no one expected (Chibi Robo, Issac, etc - someone who many thought wasn't too likely for SSB4 for various reasons)
With 5 DLC newcomers (adds up to 10x6 or 6x10 with random spot)
  1. Sceptile
  2. Krystal
  3. Inkling (if too new of character, then a highly requested newcomer)
  4. Bandana Dee
  5. Yarn Yoshi (wouldn't mind someone different in his place)
I don't see nintendo releasing character DLC, nor would I want them to. I would be o.k with stages and costume packs.

FalcoPaunch!121

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5386-9681-7388
Assuming Mii FIghter's slot will be all 3 of them, it's 15 / 16 slots, but the moment Sakurai basically said he didn't care about slots having any competitive priority, Mii Fighters should get a separate slot for each of them. I'm still 100% confident Sm4sh will have 18+ Newcomers, without a doubt.

Adding that 18+ as the least number of Newcomers to Brawl's veterans to be released, the estimate is over 52+ characters.
Two things: The 3DS has limited space, meaning not as many characters as possible.

Also, what if the Miis are placed at the top of the screen with the random slot? You could have 52 slots, with 4 on top.

Khoru

Smash Champion
Two things: The 3DS has limited space, meaning not as many characters as possible.
a 3ds cart can have as much storage as a dual-layered wii disc (8 gigs). that's as much as brawl, and a lot of that space was devoted to the SSE.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

Also, what if the Miis are placed at the top of the screen with the random slot? You could have 52 slots, with 4 on top.
Brawl was 8 GB with half of that being cutscenes. This game won't have cutscenes (except for the brief character trailers) and the 3DS can use up to potentially 8 GB cartridges if needed. There's plenty of space on the 3DS.

:4greninja:'d

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Am seeing a lot more Impa on everyone's prediction rosters. Glad some of you have finally seen the light.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Am seeing a lot more Impa on everyone's prediction rosters. Glad some of you have finally seen the light.
Honestly, I think Impa is the most likely Zelda newcomer. I have for a while. It's just the whole "we don't have Sheik back yet" thing that kept me from heavily supporting her.

Now that Sheik is back, and Impa looks absolutely awesome in Hyrule Warriors, I'd love to see her. I just don't think we will get a Zelda newcomer barring DLC. But if we did get DLC, I'd be willing to bet it'd be Impa (unless it is Tetra, but I find Impa more likely).

Gold_Jacobson

Smash Journeyman
I don't see nintendo releasing character DLC, nor would I want them to. I would be o.k with stages and costume packs.
I agreed until amiibo were announced. It seems like they are going to use amiibo to make $$$. New characters will do that.

Captain Toad for the 1st dlc spot!

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I feel like Hyrule Warriors did her wonders for fans. I've gone from a casual supporter to having her in my top 6. Shame if we get her she won't be in that HW design though. The combination of OoT and Skyward Sword's Impa is a solid look.

...actually didn't you predict a combination look prior to her official reveal? I seem to recall you doing so.

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
Oh boy, we can now do crappy icon rosters with out being ridiculed. Pop the champagne!

Anyway, here are my two rosters. One that I believe is realistic (albeit very optimistic), and the other is just what I want.

I think we're getting 50 characters at a minimum and 54 characters + veteran DLC at a maximum. I'll do 52 though, because that's the median.

:substitute: = Newcomer

[collapse=Roster of Realism, 52 Characters]
:4mario::4luigi::4peach::4bowser::rosalina::4dk::4diddy::substitute::warioc::4yoshi: (King K. Rool, because villains)
:4link::4zelda::4sheik::4tlink::ganondorf::4kirby::4dedede::metaknight::ness2::lucas:
:4pikachu::jigglypuff::mewtwopm::4charizard::4lucario::4greninja::4pit::4palutena::4olimar::popo:
:4marth::4myfriends::4lucina::4robinf::4samus::4zss::substitute::4fox::falco::wolf: (Ridley, same as above)
:4falcon::4littlemac::4villager::4wiifit::gw::rob::substitute::4sonic::4megaman::4pacman: (Shulk, popular, new IP)
:4mii::substitute: (Exictebiker / Duck Hunt Dog, I feel like we're getting a new wacky retro character, and I feel like these two have the best chances, as the Exictebiker was considered for Melee, and the Duck Hunt Dog is probably the most popular other retro character.)

DLC: :roymelee::younglinkmelee::pichumelee::drmario::007::ivysaur:

NOTE: If we're getting 50 characters, cut the retro character and Ridley. :c

[/collapse]

[collapse=Roster of Greed, 54 Characters (cut some confirmed characters)]
:4mario::4luigi::4peach::4bowser::rosalina::4dk::4diddy::substitute::warioc::4yoshi: (King K. Rool)
:4link::4zelda::4sheik::ganondorf::substitute::4kirby::4dedede::metaknight::ness2::lucas:(revamped Ganon + Impa)
:4pikachu::jigglypuff::mewtwopm::4charizard::4greninja::4lucario::4samus::4zss::substitute::4falcon:(Ridley)
:4marth::4myfriends::4robinf::substitute::4pit::4palutena::4littlemac::4fox::falco::4olimar: (Anna + revamped Falco)
:gw::rob::4villager::substitute::substitute::substitute::4sonic::4megaman::4pacman::snake: (Isaac + Shulk + Dillon)
:4mii::substitute::substitute::substitute: (Duck Hunt Dog, Lip [Panel De Pon], Marshall [Rhythm Heaven)

DLC: :roymelee::younglinkmelee::pichumelee::drmario::007::ivysaur:

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I feel like Hyrule Warriors did her wonders for fans. I've gone from a casual supporter to having her in my top 6. Shame if we get her she won't be in that HW design though. The combination of OoT and Skyward Sword's Impa is a solid look.

...actually didn't you predict a combination look prior to her official reveal? I seem to recall you doing so.
I believe he did, but few cared at the time.

D

Deleted member

No one has "seen the light" on Impa.

We're not advocating for Sheik's removal.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
No one has "seen the light" on Impa.

We're not advocating for Sheik's removal.
It'd be pretty difficult to do since the thing that's actually given Impa a lot of new fans; Hyrule Warriors, also stars Sheik. Feel kinda hypocritical on that point, but she does suddenly feel important to the Zelda series again.

Still, I'll admit I'm impressed that Diddy Kong correctly guessed Impa's HW look would be a mashup between OoT and Skyward Sword prior to anyone being revealed for the game bar Link. Admittedly he was suggesting it for Smash, but still pretty impressive.

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Trying to save Paper Mario's skin are we? :troll:
It's funny that you mention this one because I just found that this, while not even in character context, is the tease itself.

He had to say "Paper Mario". He couldn't avoid that if he wanted to tell the series name. That is literally impossible, and here, it's clear that it's in a series context. What I found to be unclear however, is the scope of the statement.

I just tough of it today, but it's like other teases, double meaning. He's either talking from a general context (as the stage is from that series without having to be specifically related to smash) OR he's either telling that from a smash specific context (as from that series being an specific entity in smash). Even the introduction statement "For the first time ever in the Super Smash Bros series" match with both interpretations. You have to admit that just saying "here's a Paper Mario stage!" is kinda weird because it sounds incomplete.

I grossly summarized as I found other fishy logic in those words, but I may be more confident if it was the tease after all. Because it is unclear and hidden...like the others.

But really, it's clearly not in character context. That is too much implied because the mention of the stage is the relation to the series, not really a character.

It's literally the same name anyway...

I may update my roster with this evidences as I may have to do so with Snake (it would mean 55, but that is still assuming no cut except Squirtle and Ivysaur).

Gold_Jacobson

Smash Journeyman
Anyone had this thought?

3ds and Wii U versions will have the same rosters... But eventually.

3ds releases.

Then the month or so later they release wii U version with "2 new characters!" Also, "sign up for club Nintendo to get 2 new characters in your 3ds version which is now on retail for $35.99!"

That way, both games do have the same roster by the time they both are out, but 3ds doesn't start with full roster.

I hope this doesn't happen. No evidence it will. Just fear the idea.

ZecaOMestre

Smash Apprentice
Anyone had this thought?

3ds releases.

Then the month or so later they release wii U version with "2 new characters!" Also, "sign up for club Nintendo to get 2 new characters in your 3ds version which is now on retail for $35.99!"

That way, both games do have the same roster by the time they both are out, but 3ds doesn't start with full roster.

I don't think ths is going to happen at all. Maybe if we were talking about EA, but I doubt Nintendo would do something so low to his fans

MagnesD3

Smash Master
It's funny that you mention this one because I just found that this, while not even in character context, is the tease itself.

He had to say "Paper Mario". He couldn't avoid that if he wanted to tell the series name. That is literally impossible, and here, it's clear that it's in a series context. What I found to be unclear however, is the scope of the statement.

I just tough of it today, but it's like other teases, double meaning. He's either talking from a general context (as the stage is from that series without having to be specifically related to smash) OR he's either telling that from a smash specific context (as from that series being an specific entity in smash). Even the introduction statement "For the first time ever in the Super Smash Bros series" match with both interpretations. You have to admit that just saying "here's a Paper Mario stage!" is kinda weird because it sounds incomplete.

I grossly summarized as I found other fishy logic in those words, but I may be more confident if it was the tease after all. Because it is unclear and hidden...like the others.

But really, it's clearly not in character context. That is too much implied because the mention of the stage is the relation to the series, not really a character.

It's literally the same name anyway...

I may update my roster with this evidences as I may have to do so with Snake (it would mean 55, but that is still assuming no cut except Squirtle and Ivysaur).
Yeah probably was referencing the series as a whole but I still really doubt his inclusion due to mario already getting a new character, even though he and bowser jr. both deserved to be in over rosalina...

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
I think a lot of people put her (and Ridley) in their rosters because of the trophy theory, and also because of seeing sakurai add Lucina, which gives potential to more clones. (I wouldn't want impa to be a sheik clone, but at this point I see that being the more likely)

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
Anyone had this thought?

3ds releases.

I was thinking more along the lines of "Buy the Wii U version, get the extra characters for the 3DS for free. Also, you can buy the DLC separate for the 3DS for $5" or something like that.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
There will be 48. Sakurai said that he thinks over 50 characters would be too much. And 4x12=48. That would be 4 times the original cast.
There are three major problems with this:

1. "Sakurai said that he thinks over 50 characters would be too much" When the **** did he say that?

2. Even if he DID say that, turning an alt into its own slot really makes me wonder why people still think Sakurai gives a **** about the number of slots. I mean, he's made it clear that he wants to give us as much content as he can, so why would he ever limit himself? That's just stupid.

3. "That would be 4 times the original cast." Saying the Wii U is at least four times as powerful as the Nintendo 64 is an understatement.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Yeah probably was referencing the series as a whole but I still really doubt his inclusion due to mario already getting a new character, even though he and bowser jr. both deserved to be in over rosalina...
I agree for jr (I don't tell this enough, but I'll be completely fine if he got over Paper Mario. I just see this less likely to happen now).

He was referencing the series as a whole, but I can't tell if he's talking about it in general or in smash specific context.

That may actually change a little thing on my roster because I have now a reason to expect him being a whole entity now (that was the tease, but I already had the evidences pointing towards it. There's some circumstances that makes one side for me more possible subjectively).

As for amount of rep, it's the same roster I expect 6 zelda rep and 7 pokemon rep. I don't see repping a problem here especially if it is considered as an entity.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
We'll I wouldn't rule anything out, there was that job listing by bandai namco for a "smash bros 6" earlier this year. I still think DLC is highly likely with that in mind, DLC for those that own this years game, and a new physical release like super street fighter for those who want it. They could only stand to gain by extending the brand of smash bros without starting all over in another 6 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom