• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I guess I'll give you my opinion then. I think that the rule still holds to a certain degree. I think it's different for newcomers and veterans. You mention Toon Link and Game & Watch being shown off before a proper reveal. The problem is that they're veterans. A newcomer, to my knowledge, hasn't really been shown off prior to a proper reveal. I believe the exception is Lucina, but that was mainly for the Amiibo trailer. Not exactly Smash. I don't think Palutena's trophy reveal counts as it was not Palutena per se. I think newcomers might be teased if Sakurai decides he wants to throw the community a bone, but I don't think there has been enough to draw from in order to form a solid conclusion on the matter.

While I do agree that it's a little odd that Rayman has only been shown as a trophy despite being a third party, at the same time I really don't think that he'll end up being playable if that's the way they show him off. Especially for a character like Rayman. Rayman, being third party, would be one of those special characters that Sakurai would want to drum up a lot of hype for. When you show him off as having a role in Smash, though not playable, you lose some of the hype that would accumulate if you just showed him off prior in a stunning E3 trailer. If said E3 trailer happened, many people would all be surprised and super excited that Rayman is in Smash after seeing him first in a new trailer. Since those same people already associate him as being part of Smash, they would think, "Oh, Rayman is playable? I figured he might be after seeing that he already has a trophy in the game." I don't think those are the kind of reactions Nintendo is looking for when hyping up a newcomer. That's just my thought though.
In regards to the newcomer/veteran argument, I can see where you come from and agree somewhat. However, Sakurai is a strange man that works in strange ways, so it's hard to really peg a "pattern" on him. Often times he does things solely to surprise us.

While no newcomer has really been shown prior to a proper reveal, Sakurai has gone out of his way to trick us on many occasions, such as Rosalina's trailer starting with Kirby flying to a theme that was not from a Mario game, before switching to an apparent Mario Kart video only to (as we know) reveal Rosalina in Smash. As observations tell me, not many people are particularly fond of the idea of Rayman being in Smash, and perhaps the random showing of his trophy is Sakurai's way of "easing us into it." While it would normally be something that would be hyped up, as you said, Rayman may not exactly be the hype inducing character to many people as opposed to Mega Man or Pac-Man, who were both revealed at E3. The large majority of "average" people aren't the kind to sit up at night waiting for the post of the day, or even bother looking at game related news to find out these sorts of things. Hence why Mega Man and Pac-Man made sense as big E3 reveals, where the more "casual" audience would see them and be able to react accordingly, and this would be the ideal target for Nintendo in general.

Particular things have also popped up, such as the second trophy (which is clearly a different model from the one shown by Sakurai), a higher up from Nintendo of Canada mentioning Rayman, and even Michel Ancel possibly hinting at it.

It's purely speculation at this point, but there are some questionable things going on. Cheers for the response as well!

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I guess I'll give you my opinion then. I think that the rule still holds to a certain degree. I think it's different for newcomers and veterans. You mention Toon Link and Game & Watch being shown off before a proper reveal. The problem is that they're veterans. A newcomer, to my knowledge, hasn't really been shown off prior to a proper reveal. I believe the exception is Lucina, but that was mainly for the Amiibo trailer. Not exactly Smash. I don't think Palutena's trophy reveal counts as it was not Palutena per se. I think newcomers might be teased if Sakurai decides he wants to throw the community a bone, but I don't think there has been enough to draw from in order to form a solid conclusion on the matter.

While I do agree that it's a little odd that Rayman has only been shown as a trophy despite being a third party, at the same time I really don't think that he'll end up being playable if that's the way they show him off. Especially for a character like Rayman. Rayman, being third party, would be one of those special characters that Sakurai would want to drum up a lot of hype for. When you show him off as having a role in Smash, though not playable, you lose some of the hype that would accumulate if you just showed him off prior in a stunning E3 trailer. If said E3 trailer happened, many people would all be surprised and super excited that Rayman is in Smash after seeing him first in a new trailer. Since those same people already associate him as being part of Smash, they would think, "Oh, Rayman is playable? I figured he might be after seeing that he already has a trophy in the game." I don't think those are the kind of reactions Nintendo is looking for when hyping up a newcomer. That's just my thought though.

EDIT: @ Morbi Morbi I don't even think you had enough time to read my post before you liked it. I guess I should still thank you for your support though. :)
I most certainly read the post, I typically read fairly quickly as I am well practiced. I read a lot during my free time.

I agree with most of the post; however, I would assert that the arbitrary rule is not a rule if it has exceptions; secondly, I would also point out that most third-party characters are indeed exceptions to the "rule" as is. Therefore, it is of my belief that this "rule" is entirely immaterial and non-existent. I might also nitpick that Smash is pioneering that Amiibo movement and that every character aside from 8-Bit Mario, an extension of Mario, was already in Smash in some way, shape, or form when that picture was released. I would probably count Lucina as a newcomer that was alluded to prior to release.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
There was one main post I was referring to, but there are a couple of secondary or tertiary posts I was referring to as well. I'm honestly not even sure how much this will all make sense just listed thrown down right now, but perhaps I will edit it at a later time.
Not according to Sakurai's statements or precedent (Super Smash Brothers Melee and Lucina herself). Feel free to adhere to confirmation bias, however. It is certainly not fallacious to do so in the least!

It sure is quite the opposite if you misconstrue EVERYTHING he asserts. :troll:

"... the characteristics of their attacks differ. When two such similar characters function in an even slightly different manner, I give them a separate spot on the roster since that will affect battle records and whatnot."

Actually, given all evidence, we know that:
-Dr Mario was suggested as a joke, back in Melee
-He was added back to flesh out the roster, at a time when alt costumes were not a thing
-He was removed, perhaps because he was seen as unnecessary or redundant

The only precedence is that he was added to flesh out the roster; there is nothing that states if he were to be added again, his pills would need to retain the properties they had back in melee. We have certainly seen more prominent characters go through more extensive changes in just a single game, without an absence.

At the end of the day, Chrom would just end up being another plain-old sword-wielder like Marth and Ike. Compared with other characters, he lacks any unique characteristics.
Are you suggesting Dr Mario and Mario are more differentiated than Chrom, Ike, and Marth?

Initially, I had considered including Lucina as one of Marth’s alternate costumes. In such cases, even if two characters’ names and voices differ, as long as they function the same way, I assign them as alternate costumes.
We see here that he was considering alt costumes for other characters (and it is suggested that Lucina is just a special case where she was promoted, that other cases still stand), and is not afraid to have them, as given in point for multiple characters we have already seen (Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Robin). The only difference so far is the name, which he outright says here, is NOT an issue, and was not going to be an issue for Lucina.

I think he also claimed somewhere that he did not want to add clones just to add spaces this game- but I cannot source it, so I will not add it.
That said, I think that your evidence of everything he said is in clear bias, of the actions he has taken in past games, and is completely negligent of what he has done THIS GAME for fan service. Fan service has been around every corner, if you would like me to make a list, I shall, but it would be immense, including ADDING LUCINA as a compromise to add Roy's playset but with a poignant IP.
My point is that Sakurai went out of his way to state that Lucina is a special scenario. In many, many ways.
Fans are clamoring, or rather, were, for Roy to return. I have not heard any demand for Dr Mario. Allow me to post something I have posted elsewhere, one moment.

Some fans wanted Roy to return! Others were strongly against it!
I think sakurai managed to please both sides
You must ask- what? How is this the case! Roy has not been announced!

Well, of course not, and announced he will not be, as Chrom was not only disconfirmed in the trailer, so was Roy.
There are two sides two the Roy coin- the fact that players simply loved how he played, and the fact that as an IP, an intellectual property, he is simply incredibly unimportant to the series.

Allow me to elaborate.
As for playstyle, we have essentially been told Lucina plays nearly as Roy did- same differentiations from Marth, other than the visual of the flame. Sure it is possible the standards may play differently, but Roy may have at this time been altered anywho- the tip of the blade versus the mainstay of the blade is what made Roy who he was, and that is what Lucina carries.

As for IP- Roy is junk. He is about as necessary to Fire Emblem as Pichu is to Pokemon- recognizable, a face, but overall, in a series with so many characters constantly changing amidst so many new games, completely forgettable and with no specific niche or importance.

Sakurai did something great here in managing to turn this difficult two sided task into a blessing- he managed to please both sides of fans by bringing back the moveset, and infusing it into an even MORE beloved, more appropriate IP in Lucina. Sure, a few people must have liked Roy as a character, of course, and to that I say, some liked any. The greatest following came from those who loved his playstyle.

This not only gives credence to Mewtwos return (returning veteran mistakes from Melee) but to just how well Sakurai can service what the fans want, and even moreso, give the fans better than what they think they want.

We have gone on at other points to discuss other issues. One other list I responded to may follow if I can find it briefly, but on it included a list which emphasized Lucina's inclusion was likely boosted by her being a female, and I believe your response was that it being a female doesnt matter in this game (and I could not tell if it was serious or not, because I do not see how it could be argued that being female in this game does not help, heavily, as a selling point).

I'm sure there will be more, but I will post this before my computer freezes again :X Pardon the organization for that reason, it has not been easy to try to go back to old posts and cut/paste multiple points you conveniently did not respond to :p

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
I most certainly read the post, I typically read fairly quickly as I am well practiced. I read a lot during my free time.

I agree with most of the post; however, I would assert that the arbitrary rule is not a rule if it has exceptions; secondly, I would also point out that most third-party characters are indeed exceptions to the "rule" as is. Therefore, it is of my belief that this "rule" is entirely immaterial and non-existent. I might also nitpick that Smash is pioneering that Amiibo movement and that every character aside from 8-Bit Mario, an extension of Mario, was already in Smash in some way, shape, or form when that picture was released. I would probably count Lucina as a newcomer that was alluded to prior to release.
I guess when I said rule, I meant ideology. I realize that there is no written rule about this sort of topic, and that the topic has exceptions, which is why I said at the end of the paragraph that I don't think there's enough to draw a solid conclusion. You're right though. Amiibo is first and foremost going to be a Smash related craze, and one could say that Lucina was alluded to in those regards. We have to remember though that Robin was the more 'real' newcomer, for a lack of better words. We still can't know whether or not a character that brings something completely new to the table would have been alluded to in the same manner.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I second this notion. It would be very appreciated to confirm Dark Pit so that Morbid is indeed correct on yet another speculation point. It is my hope that she may get her gloating out of the way prior to release.
I actually do not believe we have differed on many points before this one. So far your estimations have lined up, from reading your posts, in line with mine. Not your opinions, but your estimations, which only Shulk seemed to point out.
Yet I tend to look at Sakurai's methods for revealing characters and try to understand what his grand scheme is, you seem to look at it on a moment to moment basis, and I am curious to see how this turns out.

epicgordan

Smash Ace

Wait, what?

I might also nitpick that Smash is pioneering that Amiibo movement and that every character aside from 8-Bit Mario, an extension of Mario, was already in Smash in some way, shape, or form when that picture was released.
Let's narrow that down a bit.

every character aside from 8-Bit Mario, an extension of Mario, was already in Smash
A little closer....

aside from 8-Bit Mario
It's official. 8-Bit Mario confirmed for Sm4sh!:troll:

Last edited:

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Let's pull up some dream character choices. Copy and repost

Morbi

Scavenger
There was one main post I was referring to, but there are a couple of secondary or tertiary posts I was referring to as well. I'm honestly not even sure how much this will all make sense just listed thrown down right now, but perhaps I will edit it at a later time.

Actually, given all evidence, we know that:
-Dr Mario was suggested as a joke, back in Melee
-He was added back to flesh out the roster, at a time when alt costumes were not a thing
-He was removed, perhaps because he was seen as unnecessary or redundant

The only precedence is that he was added to flesh out the roster; there is nothing that states if he were to be added again, his pills would need to retain the properties they had back in melee. We have certainly seen more prominent characters go through more extensive changes in just a single game, without an absence.

Are you suggesting Dr Mario and Mario are more differentiated than Chrom, Ike, and Marth?

We see here that he was considering alt costumes for other characters (and it is suggested that Lucina is just a special case where she was promoted, that other cases still stand), and is not afraid to have them, as given in point for multiple characters we have already seen (Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Robin). The only difference so far is the name, which he outright says here, is NOT an issue, and was not going to be an issue for Lucina.

I think he also claimed somewhere that he did not want to add clones just to add spaces this game- but I cannot source it, so I will not add it.
That said, I think that your evidence of everything he said is in clear bias, of the actions he has taken in past games, and is completely negligent of what he has done THIS GAME for fan service. Fan service has been around every corner, if you would like me to make a list, I shall, but it would be immense, including ADDING LUCINA as a compromise to add Roy's playset but with a poignant IP.
My point is that Sakurai went out of his way to state that Lucina is a special scenario. In many, many ways.
Fans are clamoring, or rather, were, for Roy to return. I have not heard any demand for Dr Mario. Allow me to post something I have posted elsewhere, one moment.

We have gone on at other points to discuss other issues. One other list I responded to may follow if I can find it briefly, but on it included a list which emphasized Lucina's inclusion was likely boosted by her being a female, and I believe your response was that it being a female doesnt matter in this game (and I could not tell if it was serious or not, because I do not see how it could be argued that being female in this game does not help, heavily, as a selling point).

I'm sure there will be more, but I will post this before my computer freezes again :X Pardon the organization for that reason, it has not been easy to try to go back to old posts and cut/paste multiple points you conveniently did not respond to :p
Why must you incessantly argue that I ignored the points out of convenience? Regardless, I apologize for any errors as I wanted to address everything and not "conveniently" ignore the post and go to bed after waiting for you to dig it up for an hour.

I am not entirely positive in regards to what you are attempting to establish; I believe that Dr. Mario is a feasible candidate based on the sentiment that he has different characteristics for his attacks already programmed for him about a decade ago. This is true. The pills are a vastly prominent aspect of his character and his game, it is not relevant to the predominant interpretation of the main series Mario. Dr. Mario is a spin-off title. Therefore, it would be just as strange to see Mario throwing pills for no apparent reason as it would be to see Dr. Mario utilizing F.L.U.D.D for no observable reason. Other than the notion that he already decided that a character; regardless of being a joke, deserved their own slot, and they no longer do despite viable precedence over-writing the precedent that I usually cite in my favor... of course.

I never insinuated that anything definitively indicates Dr. Mario's inclusion. I stated that if he were to return, it would not be as a costume.

No. I did not suggest that Dr. Mario was more differentiated than Marth, Ike, or Chrom. I have no idea where you got that from... those were Sakurai's words, not mine. Are YOU suggesting that Dr. Mario's only difference is his name? To clarify, they could change the properties of Dr. Mario's move-set. I am not proclaiming that it is set in stone. But he was already proven to have different characteristics. THIS IS OBJECTIVE FACT.

Lucina does not have Roy's move-set. Her move-set is a clone variation of Marth's, not Roy's move-set. She does not have a fire property attributed to her sword either. Roy fans did not want his play-style, or perhaps they did, but I am more than certain that they wanted his character back over the lack of a tipper mechanic.

Lastly, I did not assert that her gender was irrelevant. I do not believe that it was pertinent to her inclusion as she was already planned to be a costume, but I am sure that that might have been a contributing factor to get her in over Roy.

Again, you cite the first half of the source and disregard the famous, "however......."

Initially, I had considered including Lucina as one of Marth's alternate costumes. After all, she has a close relationship with him in FE:A. In such cases, even if two characters' names and voices differ, as long as they function the same way, I assign them as alternate costumes. The Wii Fit Trainers, Villagers, and Robin are examples of this setup.

However, even though Lucina shares her physical stats and techniques with Marth, the characteristics of their attacks differ. When two such similar characters function in an even slightly different manner, I give them a separate spot on the roster since that will affect battle records and whatnot. In that sense, you could say she was very lucky to join the fray!

".... which makes that sentiment negligible." I would proclaim that similar does not imply congruent, if the move-set is slightly different it is not the same. Therefore, the character warrants their own slot (for battle-records). It does not matter that he is willing to include costumes with different names and voices... because he is willing to include characters with different names and voices as well.

Basically, this becomes an argument about whether or not the pills/F.L.U.D.D/Palutena's Bow/Silver Bow are different enough. I would argue that Sakurai is quite aware of their subtle differences as he has already demonstrated such. You state that clones were in the game to pad the roster, yet we still had clones in Brawl and we have yet another (and more are implied) in Smash 4. Dr. Mario was intended to return in Brawl. He was a lower priority and he did not make the cut. Thereby proving that clones are not exclusive to padding the roster by any means. Or perhaps they are... in that event, he is going to pad this very roster and Dark Pit is a prime candidate. Dark Pit has the edge as he has circumstantial evidence in his favor. Evidence that I have illuminated upon multiple occasions much to your disdain.

I would like you to make that list, however. Please and thank you.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I can see it going like this
Sakurai: Oh haha Dr. Mario is funny, fits well as an alt costume for Mario.

*Thinks about Fireballs and F.L.U.D.D*

Sakurai: ****, I want brightly colored pillz.
Well, those fans know the rule. One change and it's a slot.

*Slot made*
*Dr. Mario joins the battle*

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
However, even though Lucina shares her physical stats and techniques with Marth, the characteristics of their attacks differ. When two such similar characters function in an even slightly different manner, I give them a separate spot on the roster since that will affect battle records and whatnot. In that sense, you could say she was very lucky to join the fray!.
This doesn't make sense to me. Sakurai is saying that he changed Lucina from alt to separate character because the characteristics of her attacks differ, but how could her attacks be different when she's an alt? Wouldn't she have played exactly the same as Marth when she was just one of his skins?

This is yet another reason why I suspect that there is more to Lucina being given a separate slot apart from just "she's different enough to get her own slot". I suspect a character has been cut for whatever reason and they've used an alt skin to pad out the roster. If Dark Pit gets confirmed as a separate character I'll be certain this is the case.

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I can feel your enthusiasm emanating through your keyboard! Dark Pit is always a great discussion point because so many people are adamant about his role. So it is fun to go over the redundant and circular arguments again and again and again and again and again and again and again.
* Had to wait a month to make an essay on Ridley because of this^ *

No it's not fun. In fact, that's exactly why some of my posts are very long and that's why I decided to use essay more than normal debates.

If I have a lot to say on a particular subject, I'd better all say it packed instead of posting 50 time to say it all.

Let me just say it directly: it's honestly overtalked now.

When it became to a point when such a topic takes too much priority, it makes all the other ignored. I was in the POTD thread once only to get a debate that would be more appropriate here, but not on the POTD thread while 200 viewers just want to hype to see the picture. Why it wasn't bring up here?

:urg:

I know it's sarcasm, but it's honestly very sad to see this after being cleared of that flame war fuel that was the sal leak.

/rant (and my last)

Sincerely.

ShrekItRalph

Smash Ace
The smasher comes from the bottom of the arena
This doesn't make sense to me. Sakurai is saying that he changed Lucina from alt to separate character because the characteristics of her attacks differ, but how could her attacks be different when she's an alt? Wouldn't she have played exactly the same as Marth when she was just one of his skins?

This is yet another reason why I suspect that there is more to Lucina being given a separate slot apart from just "she's different enough to get her own slot". I suspect a character has been cut for whatever reason and they've used an alt skin to pad out the roster. If Dark Pit gets confirmed as a separate character I'll be certain this is the case.
There could be a number of reasons why Lucina was separated from Marth without any characters being cut. It could have been because of the Amiibos (Lucina is a popular character who will need a separate one now), it could have been that Intelligent Systems weren't happy that Lucina wasn't represented as her own character but instead was a Marth alt.
Who said that characters needed to be cut for Sakurai to feel like he could add extra padding, since now they can advertise having an extra character in the game. We don't know enough to draw any answers yet.

Last edited:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
There could be a number of reasons why Lucina was separated from Marth without any characters being cut. It could have been because of the Amiibos (Lucina is a popular character who will need a separate one now), it could have been that Intelligent Systems weren't happy that Lucina wasn't represented as her own character but instead was a Marth alt.
Who said that characters needed to be cut for Sakurai to feel like he could add extra padding, since now they can advertise having an extra character in the game. We don't know enough to draw any answers yet.
Sakurai stated that the reason she was separated was because the characteristics of her attacks were different. That doesn't make any sense because they couldn't have been any different to Marth's when she was still an alt. It sounds like he's lying to us because his reasoning doesn't make any sense.

Last edited:

ShrekItRalph

Smash Ace
The smasher comes from the bottom of the arena
Sakurai stated that the reason she was separated was because the characteristics of her attacks were different. That doesn't make any sense because they couldn't have been any different to Marth's when she was still an alt. It sounds like he's lying to us because his reasoning doesn't make any sense.
I think he meant that if she stayed as an alt her attack characteristics would have been the same, but since she is now her own character, he has to give her some gameplay reasons to separate her from Marth.

Last edited:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I think he meant that if she stayed as an alt her attack characteristics would have been the same, but since she is now her own character, he has to give her some gameplay reasons to separate her from Marth.
Well he says that the characteristics of their attacks differ, and when two similar characters function even in a slightly different manner he separates them. That comes accross as meaning that the difference in her attacks was the reason that they got split, which doesn't make sense to me.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
:idea::idea::idea:

Oh i know the hyrule warrior direct is tomorrow right?

Sakurai tweets about directs when a character gets announced at one, so if he tweets the hyrule warriors direct there we go.

I like that but theres some bad news for quite a few (but i do know its a dream roster, and you might be talking about smash 5 if there is one.)

Tingle: confirmed as assist trophy again at E3

Zoroark: confirmed as pokeball pokemon due to being in the greninja trailer (all pokemon shown have a roll, and charizard and pikachu and greninja are seperate from that bundle, and mewtwo and jigglypuff are not in that bundle.)

Takamaru: last week confirmed as a assist trophy (which is weird that the fact is takamaru is japans most requested character.)

Bomberman: i think :4megaman::4sonic::4pacman: Is all we are getting for smash 4 i doubt anymore will be added at this point.

Young link::4tlink: This character would like a word with you.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

Dream Rosters? Sure why not?

Lack a Waifu, so here's Dillon instead. He can be my Waifu if you really want.

• Waluigi could be swapped out with either 9 Volt or Syrup and I'd be fine.
  • Even as a Yoshi fan I struggle to care about including a baby. Kamek is okay, I just would prefer him as an AT.
  • Vaati can be swapped out for Impa without complaint from me.
  • Ridley is mostly there because I feel his fans have waited enough. I'm not a Ridley supporter myself, but I do dream of a day when he's confirmed so we can stop the pointless bickering.
  • Slippy could be swapped out for Krystal, but I know many would want to beat down on him, and I think his mechanic background could be fun for a moveset.
  • Yarne represents Fire Emblem to me better than any other character; the fear of death is something that has gripped many a FE player over the years. Also not another human and offers something different.
  • No to KI. Just no.
  • Duck Hunt Dog can be switched with Balloon Fighter and I'd still be pretty happy.
  • Rayman is interchangeable with Bomberman.

Obviously this is dream and not what I expect, least of all because a good chunk of these are disconfirmed already.

Last edited:

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
I'd like to dedicate this post to the man, the myth, and the Legend. He is the only person on this planet that can crush all of your hopes and dreams and still make you admire him. He is the one that directs Smash Brothers to you, and has the most intriguing wardrobe I have ever seen on a person.

Here's to you, Masahiro Sakurai. Without you, we would not be here to convey our thoughts and debate on a series we love so much.

Happy Birthday to the icon.

image.jpg

Credit to: mmmtwinz

Last edited:

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Uh I don't know where these pictures are from, but I wanna make fun lists so I'll do it the old fashioned way:

Super Mario: Bowser Junior...I guess? Maybe Toad? Honestly I think Mario is perfect now
Wario Ware: Waluigi obvi
Yoshi's Island: Baby bros...I guess?
Zelda: Ganon
Pokemon: Shuckle
Kirby: That huge hamster dude, Ricky I think his name is?
Metroid: ...I dunno...Space Pirate, those guys are cool
Star Fox: Peppy
DK: KAPTAIN K. Rool
F-Zero: Jodie Summers? I just wanted someone random here because I don't like BS and Ghoro
Earthbound: Jeff, his rockets are dope
Fire Emblem: Volke or Jafaar
Kid Icarus: If I have to choose someone, I'll pick Dakr Pit for Morbid :awesome:
Retro: The Mach RIder
Third Party: Bomberman
Other: Issac
Returning Veteran: Young Link
Most Wanted: Black Knight
Do not WantL Ridley or Bandanna Dee, can't decide, meh, probably BD

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Eh, too lazy to slap together an image, so I'll just copy El Dorado up there.

King K. Rool and Ridley are the only characters from an existing franchise that I seriously want.
Rayman is the only (newcomer) third party candidate that I want.
Snake is my most wanted unrevealed veteran.
I'd also like to see Dixie and Krystal, but not as much as the above four.

Pretty small list... Though the other characters I wanted are dead. Eh, throw in Takamaru, Lip, and Pokemon Trainer as DLC.

There's also Banjo but that's impossiburu.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Super Mario: Fawful
Wario Ware: Mona
Yoshi's Island: Kamek
Zelda: For a semi-realistic option, Vaati (Impa is mostlikely obviously, and I'd take her just fine).
For an actual dream option that is absolutely NEVER going to happen... although she'd make for a good nature-based moveset... Saria
Pokemon: Abstain, I don't care about Pokemon.
Kirby: Magalor (don't care much about Kirby, but Magalor looks cool)
Metroid: Ridley
Star Fox: Krystal
DK: King K. Rool AND Dixie Kong. Dixie replaces a Pokemon rep.
F-Zero: Black Shadow, although I don't care about this franchise much.
Earthbound: Kumatora looks cool.
Fire Emblem: Eirika, even though I know she'd basically be Lucina. Only way she'd make it is through a Lucina recolor.
Kid Icarus: Medusa
Retro: Lip! Lip hands-down!
Third Party: For a semi-realistic option, Bomberman.
For another one that's absolutely never going to happen... the franchise is owned by Square Enix now and has always been Nintendo exclusive... Lufia
Returning Veteran: Mewtwo, I don't care about Pokemon but this would be great.
Most Wanted: King K. Rool, obv.
Do Not Want: Bandana Dee

Last edited:

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
While we're on the topic, I guess I'll copy y'all too.

My most wanted character's are still Krystal, and Mewtwo. (Little Mac was number 3, but he's in!)

I guess I could say that my next 3 would be, Shulk, Ridley, and Impa.

I'll explain if I feel like it later.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

Simple. Lucina started out as an alternate costume, and then Sakurai wanted to give her some slightly different properties from Marth (perhaps he want to bring back a play style similar to Roy, or something like that). Once he made her even slightly different in play style, he probably felt the need to separate her from Marth, since even though she was a clone, she played differently from Marth, and thus was a different character.

I don't see any indication that suggests a character was cut for Lucina.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Simple. Lucina started out as an alternate costume, and then Sakurai wanted to give her some slightly different properties from Marth (perhaps he want to bring back a play style similar to Roy, or something like that). Once he made her even slightly different in play style, he probably felt the need to separate her from Marth, since even though she was a clone, she played differently from Marth, and thus was a different character.

I don't see any indication that suggests a character was cut for Lucina.
This is exactly what I keep trying to tell everyone who asks why Lucina had a different trait. Obviously it didn't start off that way, Sakurai just decided to do something a bit different with her. That's all. Nothing suggests she replaced a cut character.

And even then, yes, you can DEFINITELY argue she does replace a cut character. She replaces Roy. :troll:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
The only characters I really want now are Mewtwo and Dark Pit.

Ridley and K. Rool are both cool too, because they're both villains. Ganondorf vs. Ridley would be an interesting battle, for sure.

D

Deleted member

Wow, I've just noticed something.

Ganondorf is still not announced for Smash 4, nor for that Hyrule Warriors game.

And as a Hyrule Warriors Direct will be aired tomorrow, maybe...
Maybe not.

Last edited by a moderator:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I doubt we'll get anything for the Hyrule Warriors Direct tomorrow Smash-related. I'm just excited for Hyrule Warriors.

If Sakurai is like, "BY THE WAY, there's a Direct focused on Hyrule Warriors today!", then maybe I'll consider seeing something.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Half an hour in Paint for the win.

epicgordan

Smash Ace
Oh, what the heck? Here's my dream roster

Mario: 8-Bit Mario (just like the idea of it).
Donkey Kong: None; I'm predicting K. Rool and Dixie, but truth be told, I don't really like this series.
Zelda: The evil Link from that possessed game.
Metroid: Ridley (just to shut up the detractors).
Kid Icarus: I've been predicting Dark Pit, but I'd much rather have Hades.
Kirby: Bandana Dee...just so fans can stop clamoring for new Kirby characters.
Pikmin: Every other possible candidate could just wind up as an alt.
Star Fox: Slippy Toad. Krystal may have a unique moveset, but Slippy is the last major character to include.
Pokémon: The more I think about it, the more I'd like to see N be his own character (it's a long story).
Fire Emblem: No comment.
Mother: None.
Retro: Aside from 8-Bit Mario? Excitebiker and Duck Hunt Dog excites me the most.
Other: Shulk. Shulk. And Reyn Time! Just about any Rhythm Heaven character would suffice.
Returning Veterans: Meta Knight and Falco. They are my last remaining mains from Brawl yet to return.
Third Party: The odds of this happening are about as good as Kingdom Hearts III coming out next year, but Sora.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Donkey Kong: None; I'm predicting K. Rool and Dixie, but truth be told, I don't really like this series.
I have to agree. I don't really like the characters or the designs. But I am certainly not against them getting more inclusions.

Taken from your post, my list, assuming one new character per franchise:

Mario: Paper Mario. Technically a spin-off, but I think he fits in as another Mario rep, and I'd rather see him than others.
Donkey Kong: K. Rool, just to make the fans happy.
Zelda: Midna. I know Impa gets a lot of love, but I think Midna would have a really fun play style. Impa is 2nd place.
Kid Icarus: Dark Pit, because I haven't played it enough to know any other characters.
Kirby: Bandana Dee (only real choice available for new characters)
Pokémon: Milotic or Serperior. Because I think a snake-like Pokémon would have really interesting movement mechanics.
Fire Emblem: Lyn. Since she's disconfirmed, Nephenee. Halberdier battle maiden for the win.
Mother: Don't know enough. I could not play the games for more than a half hour. I hate first person RPG combat.

New Franchise: Isaac from Golden Sun, Bayonetta in second place.
Returning Veterans: Any of them.
Third Party: Any character from Chrono Trigger.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Maybe they will show off Ganondorf at last in Hyrule Warriors and we could get a side annoucement of Ganondorf in Smash. That is the most I'm expecting out of this.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Impossible dream roster incomiiing:
Mario: Petey Piranha
Wario: Jimmy T.
Yoshi: Stork
Zelda: Niko the friggin pirate
Pokémon: Blastoise
DK: Dixie Kong
KI: NOBODY
Metroid: How can this be any other than the aerial grappler himself: Baby Metroid!
Kirby: Bandana Dee
Star Fox: THE GREAT LEON
Mother: Porky
Fire Emblem: Nobody
F-Zero: Nobody
Retro: Balloon Fighter
Other: WAAAAAA chorus men
Veteran: Dr. Mario
Most Wanted: Petey Piranha
Do not want: Palutena
Third Party: Bomberman

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Mario: Paper Mario
Wario: Ashley
Yoshi: Baby Bros.
Zelda: Lana
Pokémon: Nidoking
DK: King K Rool
Kid Icarus: Viridi
Kirby: Chef Kawasaki
Star Fox: Leon
Mother: Masked Man
Fire Emblem: Ilyana
F-Zero: Mr. EAD
Retro: Donbe and Hikari
Other: Elite Beat Agents
Veteran: Mewtwo
Most Wanted: Ilyana
Third Party: Phoenix Wright

Strange not having Micaiah on my list.

sandslash

Smash Apprentice
Mario: Bowser Jr.
Wario: None
Yoshi: None
Zelda: Ganon
Pokémon: So many haha, but I think someone on four legs would be cool maybe jolteon but most 1st gen characters i would love
DK: K Rool
KI: None
Kirby: Bandana Dee
Mother: Porky
Fire Emblem: None
F-Zero: Pico
Retro: Duck Hung Dog
Veteran: Jigglypuff
Most Wanted: K Rool
Do not want: Shadow
Third Party: Bomberman or Sparkster

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Maybe they will show off Ganondorf at last in Hyrule Warriors and we could get a side annoucement of Ganondorf in Smash. That is the most I'm expecting out of this.
I'm not really expecting it. If it happens I'll be thrilled, though! I would love to see Ganondorf.

Also, in April, we got three unique Directs, for Smash, Tomodachi, and Mario Kart. Any chance we'll see another direct for Smash? I think so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom