• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Maybe they will show off Ganondorf at last in Hyrule Warriors and we could get a side annoucement of Ganondorf in Smash. That is the most I'm expecting out of this.
Honestly, I can't see them showing off a veteran in another game's Direct. Especially since a veteran alone wouldn't get a trailer at all.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
Mario: Toad
Wario: Captain Syrup
Yoshi: Shy Guy
Zelda: Midna
Pokémon: Blaziken or Sceptile
Donkey Kong: King K. Rool
Animal Crossing: K.K. Slider
Kid Icarus: None
Metroid: Ridley
Kirby: Painter girl from Kirby 64
Star Fox: Krystal
Mother: Porky
Fire Emblem: Lyndis or Micaiah
F-Zero: Samurai Goroh
Retro: Mach Rider
Veteran: Falco
Most Wanted: Falco
Do not want: Dark Pit
Third Party: Knuckles
Other: None

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Honestly, I can't see them showing off a veteran in another game's Direct. Especially since a veteran alone wouldn't get a trailer at all.
I think what FallKoopa means is that during the Hyrule Warriors Direct, some footage of Ganondorf will be seen outside of his scowl in the... I believe it was E3 trailer. Alongside but separate to this, Sakurai will reveal Ganondorf via PotD on Monday or Tuesday. That is the most that we could expect for Smash related news that correlates with the H.W. Direct.

Knuckles the Knuckles

Here's a taste of the remedy
NNID
Dromader
Can I ask something? Why is everyone, everywhere I go, so solid on the idea that Smash will get DLC? Maybe I missed some news cuz Im hearing all about making the clones from Melee DLC or whatnot. When it comes to me I rather have the whole package Day 1, and while Im not opposed to expanding the game post-release Im rather sceptical when it comes to amount and pricing of said DLC.

,,Modern gaming'' is nearly ruined for me with all the pre-orders and expansions cut out of the game and all that jazz, and now Gamestop wants to get into early developement of games to get exclusive content and Im just tired of incomplete games. I know I can trust Ninty, but with Hyrule Warriors adopting the model it looks to me like opening the hell gate for more spawns to invade later on.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I think what FallKoopa means is that during the Hyrule Warriors Direct, some footage of Ganondorf will be seen outside of his scowl in the... I believe it was E3 trailer. Alongside but separate to this, Sakurai will reveal Ganondorf via PotD on Monday or Tuesday. That is the most that we could expect for Smash related news that correlates with the H.W. Direct.
Ok, that I could see. Thanks for explaining.

I still think we'd be more likely to get an announcement of a new character reveal. We know we have more videos to go, and less than a month to get them out.

Can I ask something? Why is everyone, everywhere I go, so solid on the idea that Smash will get DLC? Maybe I missed some news cuz Im hearing all about making the clones from Melee DLC or whatnot. When it comes to me I rather have the whole package Day 1, and while Im not opposed to expanding the game post-release Im rather sceptical when it comes to amount and pricing of said DLC.
,,Modern gaming'' is nearly ruined for me with all the pre-orders and expansions cut out of the game and all that jazz, and now Gamestop wants to get into early developement of games to get exclusive content and Im just tired of incomplete games. I know I can trust Ninty, but with Hyrule Warriors adopting the model it looks to me like opening the hell gate for more spawns to invade later on.
Wrong thread. There are several already discussing this issue.

I'd check out http://smashboards.com/threads/what-type-of-dlc-would-you-want.363001/

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Ok, that I could see. Thanks for explaining.

I still think we'd be more likely to get an announcement of a new character reveal. We know we have more videos to go, and less than a month to get them out.
"Less than a month" -> September 13th is the Japanese release date.
And while we may infact see one more newcomer trailer in August, and another in early September, I do not believe that either of these will be related to any residents of Hyrule and thus would not be news related to the H.W. Direct tomorrow, which was the point on hand. In my opinion, we have three newcomers that could have pre-release trailers, and am expecting 4 newcomers in total (two of which would not be known until release). Though if you believe any of these three will not appear in the final product, limit down from my list on what we could be seeing as a future trailer.
A) Wario + Rhythm Heaven Rep, working in a very comical sense in the same fashion of the fan video "Smash Bros - Rhythm League."
B) Kirby-themed august trailer, partially an homage to Sakurai himself, revealing Meta Knight alongside Bandanna Dee.
C) Shulk + Mother character(s) with the coinciding theme of critically acclaimed JRPGs that have undying fan support.
And even as a far stretch that even I am wavering in faith... Sceptile+Jigglypuff. That one being the least likely of the idea and one that I don't foresee if for no other reason than Pokemon getting two newcomer trailers.

slambros

Smash Ace
Mario: Captain Toad
Warioware: Young Cricket
Yoshi: Stork
Zelda: Skull Kid
Pokemon: Hitmonchan
Donkey Kong: Dixie Kong
Kirby: Chef Kawasaki
Star Fox: Slippy
Mother/Earthbound: Poo
Fire Emblem: Ephraim
F-Zero: None
Retro: Takamaru
Third Party: Cactuar
Other: Chibi-Robo
Returning Veteran: Mewtwo
Most Wanted: Chibi-Robo
Do Not Want: Daisy

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Mario: Paper Mario
Wario Ware: X
Yoshi: X
Zelda: Toon Zelda
Pokemon: Sceptile
Kid Icarus: Palutena (confirmed)
Kirby: Galacta Knight
StarFox: Krystal
Mother: X, but don't cut Lucas
Fire Emblem: Lucina (Confirmed)
F-Zero: X
Retro: X
Veteran: Ness
Most Wanted: Shulk
Do not want: Ghirahim
Third Party: Oh what the heck? Tails, even if he's just DLC.
Other: Isaac

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
Mario: Daisy (don't judge me lol)
Warioware: Mona
Yoshi: Shyguy
Zelda: Impa
Pokemon: I only want Jiggly
Kid Icarus: Medusa
Kirby: None
Mother/Earthbound: Kumatora
Fire Emblem: Micaiah
F-Zero: Jody Summer
Retro: Lip
Third Party: None
Other: Chibi-Robo or Jill Dozer
Returning Veteran: Ice Climbers
Most Wanted: Dixie Kong
Do Not Want: Dark Pit

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Most Wanted from each category:

MS Paint FTW :troll:

Last edited:

FalcoPaunch!121

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5386-9681-7388
Mario: Bowser Jr.
Wario Ware: Captain Syrup
Yoshi: Baby Mario
Zelda: Vaati
Pokémon: Sceptile
Kid Icarus: Magnus
Metroid: Ridley?
Kirby: Prince Fluf
Mother: Claus
Fire Emblem: Robin (Confirmed)
Retro: None
Veteran: Wolf
Most Wanted: Shulk
Don't Want: Daisy
Third-Party: Lloyd Irving!
Other: Marshall

TORNADO BUS DRIVER

Smash Lord
Mario: Capt Toad/Paper Mario
Wario: 9-Volt/Capt Syrup
Zelda: Happy Mask Salesman/Gannon
Pokémon: N
DK: K Rool
KI: Eggplant Wizard
Kirby: Prince Fluff
Star Fox: Slippy Toad
Mother: Jeff
Fire Emblem: Anna
F-Zero: Black Shadow
Retro: Excitebiker
Other: Andy or Sami
Veteran: Snake
Waifu: Lana.
Third Party: Bayonetta
Most Wanted: ..Too hard to choose,changes alot :p
Do not want: Shrek/Goku :troll:

Last edited:

wizardto1

Smash Lord
NNID
waddledee3
3DS FC
1676-4166-2291
Mario: Captain Toad
Wario: Waluigi ( they did classified him under the Wario series
Yoshi:X
Zelda:X
Kirby: Bandana Dee
Pokemon: Mewtwo
DK: K.Rool
Kid Icarus: X
F-Zero:Samurai Goroh
Retro: Balloon Fighter
New Series: Shulk (was Wonder Red)
Third Party: Bomberman ( mainly for a bomb kirby like move set )
Veteran: Snake
Most wanted: Bandana Dee
Do not want: Dark Pit

Last edited:

Gold_Jacobson

Smash Journeyman

Because of Amiibo. They said that Amiibo will be cross-game. It makes sense for them to do so business wise. $$$.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Super Mario: Cpt. Toad
Wario: Mona
Yoshi's Island:Shy Guy
Legend of Zelda:Vaati (duh)
Pokemon:Meowth
Kirby:Dark Matter
Metroid:Ridley
Star Fox:Slippy :troll:
Donkey Kong:Cranky
F-Zero:Samurai Goroh
Mother: Giegue
Kid Icarus:Hades
Retro:Mach Rider
Third Party: Phoenix Wright
Other:Shulk
Waifu:All my waifu's are in Smash now, so I don't really have one anymore.
Returning Veteran:Mewtwo
Most Wanted:Vaati
Do Not Want:Toon Zelda

Last edited:

Pizzanigs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pizzanigs
Mario: I'm gonna go with Captain Toad or Paper Mario
WarioWare: Waluigi
Yoshi: N/A
Zelda: Ganondorf, if we're also talking about veterans
Pokemon: Jigglypuff and Mewtwo, again, if we're also talking about veterans
Kid Icarus: N/A
Kirby: Meta Knight
Star Fox: MAYBE Krystal, still iffy on her
Mother/Earthbound: N/A
Fire Emblem: Roy
Retro: N/A
Third Party: Rayman and Bomberman? Maybe?
Other: Shulk
Returning Veteran: R.O.B.
Most Wanted: King K. Rool

Loungemen

Smash Journeyman
Super Mario: Paper Mario
Wario: Waluigi
Yoshi's Island: X
Legend of Zelda: Impa
Pokemon: Mewtwo
Metroid: Dark Samus
F-Zero: Samurai Goroh
Mother: Masked Man
Fire Emblem: Roy
Kid Icarus: Medusa
Retro: Duck Hunt Dog
Third Party: Simon Belmont
Waifu: None, I already got my Palutena and Lucina <3
Returning Veteran: Mr. Game & Watch
Most Wanted: Paper Mario
Do Not Want: None, I love everybody

Niala

Smash Ace
Oh what fun. I do suppose I'll join in!

Mario: Paper Mario
WarioWare: Ashley/Mona
Zelda: Ghirahim all the way
Pokemon: I honestly don't think Pokemon deserves another rep, but if I had to pick, Absol.
Donkey Kong: N/A or King K. Rool
Kid Icarus: Medusa/Hades/Viridi/Dark Pit idc who really
Metroid: N/A
Kirby: Bandana Dee/Magolor
Star Fox: N/A or Krystal
Mother/Earthbound: N/A
Fire Emblem: Henry, obviously
F-Zero: N/A
Retro: Maybe something like Alucard? Not really sure if that counts as retro, however.
Third Party: N/A or Snake
Other "Other": Isaac
Returning Veteran: Falco
Most Wanted: Already got Robin
Do Not Want: Nobody really? Ridley would be the closest to a completely "do not want" character, but even him I don't dislike to the point of actually disdaining his approval.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Mario: Bowser Jr
Wario Ware: 9-Volt
Yoshi: Kamek
Zelda: Tetra
Pokémon: Meowth
Kid Icarus: Medusa, I don't think Kid Icarus should get a 3rd rep yet. If there's another KI game in before the next Smash, then yes.
Kirby: None
Star Fox: None
Mother: None
Fire Emblem: None
F-Zero: Samuari Goroh
Veteran: Mewtwo
Third-Party: Rayman
Most Wanted: Rayman
Don't Want: Dark Pit
Other: Chorus Kids

Morbi

Scavenger
Ah, I see that discussion has gotten nowhere because we are having another list day...

Super Mario
: Waluigi (Professor E. Gadd)
Wario Ware: Mona
Yoshi's Island: Yoshi 2
Zelda: Beedle and Tingle as a tag-team, rage-based character... kooloohhhhhhhh limpah! (Ghirahim)
Pokemon: Mewtwo (Gengar and Alakazam tag-team)
Kirby: Bandanna Dee
Star Fox: Krystal or Wolf "done properly."
DK: Cranky Kong (Tiny Kong)
Earthbound: Porky
Fire Emblem: Virion X Cherche: Gerome (Basilio and Flavia tag-team)
Kid Icarus: Hades
Third Party: Rayman
Other: Dr. Kawashima
Returning Veteran: Ganondorf or Dr. Mario
Most Wanted: Dark Pit
Do Not Want: Whatever character the Smashboards speculative community finds "shoe-in."

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I am not sure why I typed "likely," I meant to type, "shoe-in," it mostly a stab at King K. Rool (and Shulk). :troll:
Who says K. Rool is a shoo-in? I can't recall anyone saying that for quite some time. He seems to be viewed as likely at best, impossible at worst, from what I can tell.

Dark Pit, on the other hand, I have heard people call a shoo-in. Naturally, I dislike Dark Pit for this.

Morbi

Scavenger
Who says K. Rool is a shoo-in? I can't recall anyone saying that for quite some time. He seems to be viewed as likely at best, impossible at worst, from what I can tell.

Dark Pit, on the other hand, I have heard people call a shoo-in. Naturally, I dislike Dark Pit for this.
I suppose one never forgets, I am quite hypocritical. I always assert that the fans of a character should never influence your decision regarding the character... but I cannot help it in regards to King K. Rool. :urg:

I understand your feelings though, when people fail to recognize something is not absolute, I am adverse to the notion. It happens to me with Ice Climbers, Rhythm Heaven representative, and Shulk, of course. It also namely happened with Toon Link's non-inclusion, Rosalina is too late, Pokemon Trainer's return, Phantom as an assist, and Chrom.

Of course that is not entirely relevant as I do the same thing with characters such as: Wolf, Ridley, or Mewtwo.

I am glad that people are recognizing Dark Pit's viability, I have no idea is advocating for "shoe-in" Pittoo. It is not Golden, it is not BluePikmin, and it is most certainly not I. But those are the only Dark Pit supporters that I am aware of aside from FrostWraith (who is skeptical) and Kage (which is probably the person you are referring to). I am fairly certain that Weeman is being facetious, as I occasionally do.

In FACT, that is precisely why I support Dark Pit. All of the fallacious, "he is a costume because arbitration, all of this evidence means nothing... do not call me biased, they are the SAME character." The signs point to another obvious roster alteration yet those who were to blind to discern fact from reality before are STILL blind.

Last edited:

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
Oh, we doing lists? May as well contribute my thoughts
Super Mario: Fawful
Wario Ware: Mona
Yoshi's Island: Kamek
Zelda: Groose
Pokemon: Mewtwo. If we're talking newcomers exclusively, then Genesect
Star Fox: Wolf returning is fine with me
DK: King K Rool
F-Zero: Black Shadow or Deathborn, I can't decide
Earthbound: Porky
Fire Emblem: Hector (But that'll never happen ;n; )
Kid Icarus: Hades
Retro: Mach Rider
Third Party: Professor Layton
Other: Metal Face (Though Shulk is also pretty great)
Returning Veteran: Mewtwo or Wolf
Most Wanted: Metal Face (And Ridley)

Last edited:

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
How about an attempt to further the discussion?

I believe that Little Mac is going to be our retro for the next Smash. While yes, he does take some roots from Punch Out Wii, he stil has been given the traits that a retro has. He has a wire frame alt, his arcade game was heavily reflected in his trailer, and even his sound-effects resemble his NES games.

PuffSmash

Smash Apprentice
Mario: Boo/Birdo
Warioware: None
Yoshi: None
Zelda: Impa
Pokemon: Jigglypuff/mewtwo
Donkey Kong: K. Rool
Kirby: Bandana dee
Star Fox: Slippy
Mother/Earthbound: Ness
Fire Emblem: None
Retro: 8 bit versions of everyone!!
Third Party: bub (bubble bobble):bubblebobble:
Other: Bomberman
Returning Veteran: jigglypuff/mewtwo
Most Wanted: Jigglypuff/mewtwo
Do Not Want: Toon link/sheik :seuss:

Morbi

Scavenger

I believe that Little Mac is going to be our retro for the next Smash. While yes, he does take some roots from Punch Out Wii, he stil has been given the traits that a retro has. He has a wire frame alt, his arcade game was heavily reflected in his trailer, and even his sound-effects resemble his NES games.
I am not entirely certain myself, I usually just cite Little Mac as our retro character, but I have a feeling that Black Shadow might be another. I am not sure if a decade implies a retro, but including Black Shadow would be the most overt way to incite a series revival and garner even more interest in the series. Other than that, I was not speculating in favor of any retro characters (aside from Little Mac, of course) for the longest time. The Ninka leak inspired me to advocate for Duck Hunt Dog as a default retro option... but I am not sold on his inclusion in the slightest. He is the "retro" character that I represent, however.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691

Yeah, I wouldn't mind if Little Mac becomes our "retro". It makes sense (after all, he seemed to be quite unknown and obscure in the West).

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Super Mario: Bowser Jr.
Legend of Zelda: Ganon
Pokemon: Zoroark
Kirby: Adeleine
Donkey Kong: Dixie Kon
Mother: Ninten
Kid Icarus: Dark Pit
Retro: Prince of Sable
Third Party: Geno
Returning Veteran: Lucas
Most Wanted: Prince of Sable
Do Not Want: By process of elimination (I don't really hate anyone), it would probably be Muddy Mole.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Yoshi's Island: Kamek
Pokémon: Nidoking or Sceptile
Donkey Kong Country: King K. Rool
Kirby: Dark Matter
Fire Emblem: The Black Knight
Third Party: Wargreymon
Other: Isaac
Returning Veteran: Jigglypuff and Meta Knight
Most Wanted: Ridley
Do Not Want: Dark Pit and Chorus Kids

Since this is a hardcore wishlist I added a lot of unlikely characters here, the only ones I actually hope will make it in out of these, outside of the veteran category, are Ridley and K. Rool. I cut out franchises I don't have any input to.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Super Mario: Bowser Jr.
Legend of Zelda: Ganon
Pokemon: Zoroark
Kirby: Adeleine
Donkey Kong: Dixie Kon
Mother: Ninten
Kid Icarus: Dark Pit
Retro: Prince of Sable
Third Party: Geno
Returning Veteran: Lucas
Most Wanted: Prince of Sable
Do Not Want: By process of elimination (I don't really hate anyone), it would probably be Muddy Mole.
No Dr. Kawashima on your wish roster? Even I added Dr. Kawashima to my wish roster!

See?! This is what Shulk does to people! This is what happens! This. Why?! Oh god why?!!!!

Niala

Smash Ace
I'm not one to advocate that retro characters need to be revivals for Smash, but rather that retro characters are characters who are known for their retro games and not for their recent games. Thus, characters like Little Mac, Mega Man, and Pac-Man are all retro characters to me, regardless of how recently they've been around.

mark welford

Smash Ace
I'm not one to advocate that retro characters need to be revivals for Smash, but rather that retro characters are characters who are known for their retro games and not for their recent games. Thus, characters like Little Mac, Mega Man, and Pac-Man are all retro characters to me, regardless of how recently they've been around.
in that case Mario and Donkey Kong

Morbi

Scavenger
I agree with this sentiment, it is not necessary for a series revival. It is just something that I consider.

Niala

Smash Ace
in that case Mario and Donkey Kong
Mario and DK are indeed retro characters by my standards, but I was only really considering newcomers for the sake of my original post.

I agree with this sentiment, it is not necessary for a series revival. It is just something that I consider.
It's great to consider as much as you can, but where there's no real definition for what a retro character is, I like to try and simplify the definition. Besides, it's a relatively subjective notion anyway, a large amount of what is retro to you is highly dependent on your age and when you started gaming in the first place.

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Fine. Here's my list.

Donkey Kong: Funky Kong
Yoshi: Kamek
WarioWare: Ashey
Legend of Zelda: Toon Zelda