• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Dark Pit does have different characteristics. He could have dark effects on his attacks similarly to how Roy had fire, he can have improved air time and aerial game (as a reference to his ability for fly infinitely while Pit can only fly with divine assistance), and his attacks would probably deal more knockback as opposed to Pit's damage-racking playstyle.
There are quite a few options on how to change Dark Pit up, and in my eyes he's one of the best clones that Sakurai could add right now.
But he is literally a palette swap...
Fine. But, here's a better clone idea.

Ghirahim cloned from Sheik.

Last edited:

epicgordan

Smash Ace
Honestly, I feel as though 8-Bit Mario will be in the game in the same vein as Tom Nook or Isabelle; an assist trophy perhaps, maybe even a Final Smash. I do believe that he will be in the game as Smash pioneers the Amiibo movement, but I would not jump on the presumption that he is playable as Lucina was. I suppose it depends on when Lucina was converted from a costume to a character. Nevertheless, I only support one Mario, the true Mario, Dr. Mario.
I'm simply keeping my options open. It's not terribly :083: after all, to suspect that Sakurai would make him the new retro joke character. I'm only giving him the benefit of the doubt because he is, as of this moment, the only character from that segment whose role was, and still is, a mystery, and I can't exactly shake off the notion that with the possible exception of Shulk (who was rather given away practically by Monolith Soft), Sakurai has planted hints of his remaining newcomers all over the place, and is acting very coy about it, too.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
But he is literally a palette swap...
Fine. But, here's a better clone idea.

Ghirahim cloned from Sheik.
Honestly, Ghirahim has too much potential to be considered as a clone. Yeah, you can mention Ganondorf, but you would think that Sakurai's learned from his past mistake.

His moveset is practically handed to him; it'd be a shame to see his potential go to waste.

Morbi

Scavenger
I'm simply keeping my options open. It's not terribly :083: after all, to suspect that Sakurai would make him the new retro joke character. I'm only giving him the benefit of the doubt because he is, as of this moment, the only character from that segment whose role was, and still is, a mystery, and I can't exactly shake off the notion that with the possible exception of Shulk (who was rather given away practically by Monolith Soft), Sakurai has planted hints of his remaining newcomers all over the place, and is acting very coy about it, too.
I deem that as the most wise perspective that one could possibly maintain; however, I am not that wise, unfortunately, the art of speculation is a game of risks and rewards and I must assert my thoughts regarding issues if I wish to be considered correct. I respect that notion that you are doing the most rational thing possible, you do not blatantly disregard any possibilities based on inherent biases. Just from the last page alone... I believe it is clear that more should take after you.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Honestly, Ghirahim has too much potential to be considered as a clone. Yeah, you can mention Ganondorf, but you would think that Sakurai's learned from his past mistake.

His moveset is practically handed to him; it'd be a shame to see his potential go to waste.
To be fair, I think Lucina had plenty of potential to not be a Marth clone.

Morbi

Scavenger
To be fair, I think Lucina had plenty of potential to not be a Marth clone.
Ghirahim has a much more observable move-set potential and many erroneously presumed that Lucina would make an ideal Marth clone as they were commonly associated within Awakening. Ghirahim is a different breed entirely because of this...

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Honestly, Ghirahim has too much potential to be considered as a clone. Yeah, you can mention Ganondorf, but you would think that Sakurai's learned from his past mistake.His moveset is practically handed to him; it'd be a shame to see his potential go to waste.
How can Ghirahim have too much potential to be a clone and Dark Pit to even have enough?
He is such a clone he is literally a clone.

And an unnecessary one at that. I feel like any clones should go to F-Zero, Metroid, Donkey Kong, or Wario before Kid Icarus Uprising.

Morbi

Scavenger
How can Ghirahim have too much potential to be a clone and Dark Pit to even have enough?

And an unnecessary one at that. I feel like any clones should go to F-Zero, Metroid, Donkey Kong, or Wario before Kid Icarus Uprising.
And an unnecessary one at that. I feel like any clones should go to F-Zero, Metroid, Donkey Kong, or Wario before Fire Emblem: Awakening.

Unfortunately, clone characters are not determined based on what series they come from. I am fairly certain that they are chosen based on their merits.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
And an unnecessary one at that. I feel like any clones should go to F-Zero, Metroid, Donkey Kong, or Wario before Fire Emblem: Awakening.
Unfortunately, clone characters are not determined based on what series they come from. I am fairly certain that they are chosen based on their merits.
Unfortunately, I am not seeing the merits of Dark Pit.
At least there is some visual distinction between Lucina and Marth.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace

If there's any potential clones for Metroid they'd go the hunters, and the only viable one is Sylux. And there's nobody in the WarioWare series that can be a clone of Wario.

Dark Pit has a significant role in the story of Uprising, him representing a darker side of Pit. Not exactly an enemy, just a darker side of him. The two grow a bit more acquainted with each other throughout the story.

Other than that though I don't see much merit either. Why should Pit get a clone anyways? I vouch for Dark Pit as an alt costume with a differentiated voice, name, and set of palette swaps.

Last edited:

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
Albeit, he did indeed make them the same character in the battle mode, but it is not a question as to whether or not Pittoo is "slightly different" as he is. The question is whether or not Sakurai will recognize the notion in Smash.
Agreed, but I dont think it is dependent on Sakurai recognizing their difference, he created them so I think he is aware. The real question is whether or not it is worth to make Pittoo a separate character. There are many number of reasons why Pittoo could be made separate.

The bottom line is, how creative will Sakurai be?

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
The thing here is timing. Pyrosphere was announced really early on, but there still isn't a DK stage, barring Jungle Japes. And even then, I'd say it'd point more to K. Rool, as it shows that Sakurai is aware of him still. I can't see Dixie playable with a K. Rool stage boss. And in regards to the other thing, I view it more as each new character getting a home stage, as opposed to just using new game stages. Arena Ferox is where Lucina is first fought, with Robin there too. Greninja has Lumiose City (where the Professor who gives it to you lives) and the Kalos League (essentially the last hoo-rah to use Greninja in). Most notably, Rosalina has a Galaxy stage, and not a 3D World stage. Hence, I think if K. Rool were playable, they'd use the Galleon due to it being his home stage.
I dont think us not having a new dk stage currently points to anything, we just barely got a glimpse of the star fox stage and we still dont have a new kirby stage. Like neon said i think a DKCR stage is far more likely, i dont think k rool would get special treatment to get a galleon stage out of the past at random like that when we cant even get a bowser's castle stage. The only reason we never got a 3d world stage is because that game probably just barely missed the mark for being on sakurai's radar when gathering assets for the game. It could happen, but its very evident now that they would not miss the opportunity to give us a returns themed stage, even dk's intro in the first trailer was returns themed just by looking at the trees.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Dark Pit was featured in an unprecedented trailer cliff-hanger which implies another character or, at the very least, an extension of the trailer. Dark Pit was featured prominently in Kid Icarus: Uprising, a game that quite apparently warranted an additional character, Lady Palutena. One might assert that there is a precedent to be seen from a very similar 3DS game, Fire Emblem: Awakening. Not only did this notable 3DS title merit a newcomer, it was worthy of a second; albeit, this character was a clone. Not unlike Dark Pit. Peculiar, is it not? While we are here, might I mention his staggering popularity, it is not material in the slightest; however, one could argue that Sakurai's awareness of such is relevant. After that, we have two of Sakurai's tweeted pictures if I recall correctly. Many are content with supporting Shulk based on nothing more than a couple of tweets and pictures... why not Dark Pit? Ah; yes, I remember, it is because he is a clone character that was previously a palette swap therefore he is predestined to be a palette swap again for some arbitrary reason. Funny you should say that, as this was indeed Dark Pit's origin! His birth, if you will. He must mean something to Sakurai, perhaps enough to incite Sakurai into developing him as a character for a glorious Pittoo Amiibo? :awesome:

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
Agreed, but I dont think it is dependent on Sakurai recognizing their difference, he created them so I think he is aware. The real question is whether or not it is worth to make Pittoo a separate character. There are many number of reasons why Pittoo could be made separate.

The bottom line is, how creative will Sakurai be?
He could be a semi-clone by giving him different weapons, like the Silver Bow or Dark Pit Staff. Or the Ogre Club.

A Pit clone using unique weapons is the only excuse for Dark Pit to get in, in my mind.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
He could be a semi-clone by giving him different weapons, like the Silver Bow or Dark Pit Staff. Or the Ogre Club.

A Pit clone using unique weapons is the only excuse for Dark Pit to get in, in my mind.
If they're going to make him that unique and give him different weapons, then why Dark Pit? If he's not being added in because of the ease of adding in a clone, why not add in someone more important or popular from Kid Icarus, like Medusa or Hades?

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Funny you should say that, as this was indeed Dark Pit's origin! His birth, if you will. He must mean something to Sakurai, perhaps enough to incite Sakurai into developing him as a character for a glorious Pittoo Amiibo? :awesome:
Is that the only reason you want him?

Just to have an Amiibo of Dark Pit?

Morbi

Scavenger

Riddle me this, does the Silver Bow function in precisely the same way as Palutena's Bow? Or does it perhaps... "function in a slightly different manner"? :teeth:

Regardless, I suppose it depends on whether or not alternate costumes have different Final Smashes as Dark Pit is never seen using the Sacred Treasures to my knowledge.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
It's funny how Sakurai's reason for making Lucina her own character doesn't explain why she was made into her own character. He said that she was made into her own character because she had a difference in attack power, but he doesn't explain why he chose to give her a difference in attack power.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
If we're getting a third Kid Icarus character that is a clone, it is most likely Medusa.

Unlike Dark Pit, she's appeared in every game. Unlike Dark Pit, there is a lot more of a visual distinction between her and Palutena.

It's funny how Sakurai's reason for making Lucina her own character doesn't explain why she was made into her own character. He said that she was made into her own character because she had a difference in attack power, but he doesn't explain why he chose to give her a difference in attack power.
I agree. I don't understand why he had a change of heart.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero

Dark Pit would be a clone.
Ghirahim would not.

Neither are associated with each other.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
If they're going to make him that unique and give him different weapons, then why Dark Pit? If he's not being added in because of the ease of adding in a clone, why not add in someone more important or popular from Kid Icarus, like Medusa or Hades?
No idea, Medusa would be great though, her potential moveset has a ton to pull from. I would say she's too big, as her, Hades, Viridi, and Palutena are all seen as gargantuan at one point. But given that Palutena is shown to have a standard human-like size I wouldn't be surprised to see them being able to have that form as well.

Riddle me this, does the Silver Bow function in precisely the same way as Palutena's Bow? Or does it perhaps... "function in a slightly different manner"? :teeth:

Regardless, I suppose it depends on whether or not alternate costumes have different Final Smashes as Dark Pit is never seen using the Sacred Treasures to my knowledge.
It loses strength the farther it flies. Also Dark Pit doesn't use the Three Sacred Treasures, but he could.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Precisely, you seem to be one of the first to notice this discrepancy, I detailed my theory as to why that is in the Dark Pit thread around last week. To summarize, I believe a different clone that was intended to be an alternate costume was given slightly different properties that would be logical; however, at that rate, he decided that they warranted their own slots if there were different properties, hence he took one of the costumes that did not quite fit as a costume (as Lucina is not Marth) and changed the properties of her attacks. The clone that I believe introduced this notion was none other than Dr. Mario as he was already established as in own character in Smash canon. But I am also open to the possibility that it was indeed Dark Pit, as there are so many subtle allusions and conveniences regarding his character.

Last edited:

HugoBoss

Smash Journeyman
Thing is, Sakurai seemingly only considered Awakening characters. If he wanted someone more unique than Dixie (who I very much doubt would be subject to the same fate as Chrom - especially since her main gimmick - her hair, isn't shared by Diddy) based on precedent... he'd probably go with Cranky. I know that's quite the claim to make, but Sakurai looked first and foremost at Awakening. He chose Rosalina, the underdog over several characters more popular, just as feasible, but less impacting in the recent years. He allocated a spot for an X/Y Pokemon before he considered Mewtwo. It looks like we might not even get a true retro character. He's very clearly chosen which era he's picking his characters from, and it's not one that includes K. Rool in any prominent role. I agree he could be unique, and I agree that he's important within the series. I even think he'd be a better addition than Dixie, but I don't think any of those things are what Sakurai is focusing on this time. I think it's pretty obvious he's looking at what's happened since Brawl, and if there's already a character who had a fairly good record in an underrepresented series and now has made a return in a prevalent, important, and popular game, I think that's going to give them the edge over a character who hasn't made any large impacts... for a long time now. Also, Sakurai tried and failed with Chrom. If we wanted to go the Chrom route for explaining why Dixie wouldn't make it, he would try first with Dixie, and do you really think he'd not be able to come up with a moveset for her? The guy already had a vision of how she'd play last time, and I can't imagine it would've been a direct copy of Diddy even if it was to be a semi-cloned moveset.

People are underselling Dixie's potential for uniqueness just because they want K. Rool to be the one included, and I don't really blame them, but we can't discard Sakurai's penchant for being able to create movesets we'd never suspect and finding originality even if he can't for every character. People were expecting Rosalina would only ever amount to a semi-clone, and look how that ended up. Dixie does have clear potential, both as an original character and a clone, which is not a point against her.

The difference between Dixie and Roy is that Dixie has continued to make high-profile appearances, she's not in the same position she was during Brawl where the last time she really mattered was like... with DKC3. To me it seems like Roy wasn't even considered this time because Sakurai was just focusing on Awakening.

Also, Gangplank Galleon would be as much a giveaway for K. Rool as Pyrosphere was for Ridley. For all we know that would mean K. Rool could be a stage boss hazard thing, not a character. But looking at the selection of stages so far, I can't imagine we won't be getting a DK one not based on either DKCR or TF. Every single Nintendo series so far has had a stage based off a post-Brawl title, except SF for obvious reasons.

I also don't understand why DK is being lumped with Diddy and Dixie in this three Kongs business, it's not like he plays similarly.

Like I said, I wouldn't be pushing for recency if that didn't seem to be the clear way the tide is turning. Believe me. The focus on post-Brawl doesn't exactly help the characters I want to see either, but I'm not going to chalk up every Nintendo character being post-Brawl important as a coincidence.

Really the only thing that does bode well for K. Rool are the Kremlings, but that could still mean a number of things tbh.
You know, I would agree with this but there hasn't been a single piece of content related to Tropical Freeze as of yet and it seems your argument stems from relevancy and recency. Everything so far has been from Donkey Kong Country to Returns. That's basically the make-it or break-it for Dixie(although she does have many other merits, the biggest argument for her inclusion is that game.)
From my experience from trying to figure out Sakurai, don't. There have been numerous instances that have supported and detracted your logic of how Sakurai picks newcomers based on recency.

BTW Cranky Kong was confirmed as non-playable a long time ago(as far as I know), so there isn't much to choose from anymore besides Dixie and King K Rool.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Dark Pit would be a clone.
Ghirahim would not.
Neither are associated with each other.
Here's a post I made earlier about it.
I meant semi-clone, btw.

Yeah, and he could carry a sword to accommodate for any moves it wouldn't make sense for him to perform.
Plus, the dash attack could be altered to have him hold the sword in his hands instead of doing the ninja sign with his hand, and would then resemble his dash attack from Skyward Sword.

The Vanish move could function literally the exact same way, just with a diamond effect. And instead of firing the diamonds consecutively, he could fire them in an arc.
It's truly a perfect fit, and I sort of want to see it.

The best part is, due to lacking a unique moveset, he doesn't need a whole trailer to focus on him. He could instead be featured as part of a more important character's trailer.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Wait, does anyone actually think I'm arguing for Dark Pit to be a completely original character?
Don't be ridiculous, the reason I'm banking on Pittoo is because of Lucina.

And whether a character is "necessary" or not doesn't really affect their inclusion. I doubt Pichu and Dr. Mario were deemed "necessary".

And @ Kenith Kenith I have no idea why you are arguing with me about why your most wanted character could be a clone. I could understand the opposite, but you shouldn't be that desperate. I mean, Ghirahim still has a shot as an original character.

Last edited:

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
I feel like Lucina was just a big troll to get people arguing about who qualifies for clonse status, if there will be clones, and what to make of his arbitrary and confusing clone rules.

You win this round Sakurai

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
Wait, does anyone actually think I'm arguing for Dark Pit to be a completely original character?

And whether a character is "necessary" or not doesn't really affect their inclusion. I doubt Pichu and Dr. Mario were deemed "necessary".

And @ Kenith Kenith I have no idea why you are arguing with me about why your most wanted character could be a clone. I could understand the opposite, but you shouldn't be that desperate. I mean, Ghirahim still has a shot as an original character.
Yeah Ghirahim has tons to pull from. Sakurai could pull his moveset right out of Skyward Sword. As for Sheik Sakurai probably just pulled her moveset out of his аss (mind).

Last edited:

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
But but but Hades is too big to be playable.

*raises flame shield*
Medusa, Hades, Palutena, and Viridi have "too-big" forms in Uprising. However, they are all gods, and gods have powers. Palutena can can size herself down to human proportions. So I have no doubt everyone else can do the same.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger

I agree with this sentiment, I am not sure what has gotten over him. The ONLY reason Ghirahim would get in over a more prominent, prevalent, and notable (and cloneable) character such as Impa is BECAUSE of his observable move-set potential.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Fire Emblem is a series with a very fluid cast. In a series that changes characters with each game, it makes sense to pick from the newest game. Same with Pokemon, though I don't think we should dismiss Mewtwo quite so soon. With Rosalina, she's (pardon the pun) a rising star in the Mario series, and offered, like Robin, something that her "competition" could not. Sakurai could have very easily thought of Toad as nothing but moveset fodder and Bowser Jr. as a smaller Bowser clone, whereas he could give Rosalina a puppeteer moveset.
And just as easily he could've thought of Rosalina as a bigger Peach clone, and give Toad or Bowser Jr or Waluigi or Paper Mario a unique moveset, they're all feasible. Yes, Rosalina is a "rising star", but when was the last time Sakurai picked a rising star above an individual established, more popular, more prevalent star for an original moveset?

I'm also not dismissing Mewtwo, I'm just saying he wasn't given priority over a recent newcomer.

And yes, it does make sense to pick from the newest FE game, but that's not what Sakurai did in Melee (understandably), and in Brawl he went to IS and they suggested the character from the newest game. He wasn't decided on Ike beforehand, and still attempted to include Roy, but this time it's like he didn't even give any title other than Awakening a chance for inclusion.

If it was just FE that he was on a recent recency bent it wouldn't be enough to judge other inclusions on, but let's look at the new series included so far: AC (counting it as new), Wii Fit, Punch-Out, Mii, and probably RH and Xenoblade. All series with post-Brawl impact. And the characters from established series came from Galaxy/3D World, Uprising, X/Y, and Awakening, all titles post-Brawl or primarily post-Brawl. You have to admit that including K. Rool would be breaking the precedent that seems to be set here.

It's not impossible for sure, but when you do have feasible, popular, importance characters in the series who do fit under this umbrella, it seems unlikely Sakurai would choose to venture outside it.

Donkey Kong Country has kept the same sort of cast since its inception, generally. K. Rool has a big part in most of them, barring the two most recent. And even then, it's not like Dixie's a "rising star," as she basically is the same as when she was playable before, unlike Rosalina's ever-expanding appearances. And Cranky's already disconfirmed. :p

Hence, despite being in one more (possibly too recent) recent game than K. Rool has, I think K. Rool has an edge over Dixie.
But you're giving all the DKCs the same amount of importance and merit as far as representation in this game goes. That's not what Sakurai has been doing with the other series, and it stands to reason he wouldn't with this one either, especially since the two most recent have made the largest splash for the series since DK64. If all the titles were on equal footing, I'd agree that K. Rool does have more in his favour (though they'd still be close), but they aren't.

I fully acknowledge that Dixie can be made unique in a sort of Millia-type style, for example, but I just feel that, like with Robin, K. Rool would just "jump out" at Sakurai faster for being more unique. The option for semi-clone K. Rool doesn't really even exist. The closest people can make is arguably Dedede, but even that's a large stretch.
If a character we all thought would be a semi-clone at best managed to jump out at Sakurai, it's not like we can really predict what will and won't catch his attention. Robin only looked so unique in comparison to Chrom, but Dixie isn't in Chrom's position, she can legitimately be made original with little effort and minimal overlap with Diddy. Plus, we're assuming here that Sakurai would try Dixie first then opt for K. Rool, going by the Chrom and Robin comparison, but that's just it, an assumption. Chances are if Sakurai does try to include Dixie he'll do his best to find her unique qualities, of which she's not as limited as Chrom. Especially since Chrom was found redundant after both Marth and Ike, without one of them Sakurai probably would've given him the general playstyle of the other - or at least something close to it, but with Dixie there's only Diddy and there's less redundancy.

And Dixie could also make for a semi-clone unlike K. Rool, which is a point in her favour.

She's really only made one high profile appearance since Brawl, and considering a "Tropical Freeze" character wasn't listed on the Sal Leak despite "X and Y" being on there may mean that it did come too late to matter. Maybe. Fair point with Roy though.
He didn't list a DK character at all though. For all we know it's entirely possible Sakurai never intended to include an original DK character this time, but in the period of padding the roster, which DK character is going to make for the best clone? Like you said, not K. Rool.

Plus Little Mac, Greninja, Palutena and Shulk only made one high profile appearance since Brawl as well when they were chosen.

The thing here is timing. Pyrosphere was announced really early on, but there still isn't a DK stage, barring Jungle Japes. And even then, I'd say it'd point more to K. Rool, as it shows that Sakurai is aware of him still. I can't see Dixie playable with a K. Rool stage boss. And in regards to the other thing, I view it more as each new character getting a home stage, as opposed to just using new game stages. Arena Ferox is where Lucina is first fought, with Robin there too. Greninja has Lumiose City (where the Professor who gives it to you lives) and the Kalos League (essentially the last hoo-rah to use Greninja in). Most notably, Rosalina has a Galaxy stage, and not a 3D World stage. Hence, I think if K. Rool were playable, they'd use the Galleon due to it being his home stage.
Or... they were chosen because they're iconic locations within the games...
You're trying too hard to connect the dots here, new stages aren't indicators of new characters unless it's from a new series. And not even then all the time. Did you think we wouldn't get a Galaxy stage? We got a Sunshine stage last time, and a 64 stage before that. Lumiose City is one of the most iconic locations in the game, and the Elite Four is one of the most iconic locations in the whole series, they have nothing to do with Greninja specifically. Arena Ferox would be able to be linked to any Awakening character with a chance tbh. Stages are generally just chosen to represent the new games of the series.

It's pretty inevitable we'll be getting a stage based on one of the new DKC games... not that that means anything specifically as far as characters go. If we do get Gangplank Galleon as a stage, yeah it's pretty probable K. Rool would be involved, but not necessarily as a playable character. And getting Gangplank Galleon in the first place is just a guess.

Visually, they're all brown-furred primates, like how Marth, Ike and Chrom were blue-haired swordsmen. Like Ike, DK may be more visually large, but the similarity is still there when a more distinct alternative (K. Rool/Robin) can be made.
It wasn't the colour of hair that got Chrom excluded though, it was the lack of diversity Sakurai found in his playstyle.

Also, we still have three blue-haired sword-wielders from FE, if it was a problem... we wouldn't.

Some of them didn't exist until then. Namely, these are Wii Fit Trainer, Rosalina, Greninja, Robin, and Lucina (Chorus Kids and Shulk too, if you consider the leak). Pac-Man and Mega Man don't take from their recent appearances and are third party. Miis and Villager were considered, but Sakurai went back and added them this time. Really, the only newcomers that got more important post-Brawl were Little Mac and Palutena, and they had tons of fan popularity anyway.
Exactly, look at all the character that didn't exist before Brawl that have now wound up included. Look at the characters that got important post-Brawl that have wound up included.

Now look at the characters who existed before but didn't get any more important post-Brawl and see how many of them are included. None. Every single one had some kind of notable impact post-Brawl.

And I'm not including third-parties because they're in different situations here.

What it boils down to is the problem doesn't lie with K. Rool as a character, the problem lies with Sakurai focusing on a time period in which K. Rool didn't stand out or make any waves, yet another character in his series does. We haven't seen the entire roster yet obv, but there's a very good reason to believe all the Nintendo characters will be those that had an impact post-Brawl, all nine newcomers and the remaining two "leaked" ones all have. You can argue K. Rool's positives all you want, and I'd agree with you on them, but it seems like arguing for a character outside the boundary of what Sakurai is even considering this time around.

If we had gotten a retro... or a character who made their impact primarily pre-Brawl, I'd be right with you think K. Rool stood the best chance, but there's a point when you have to look at the landscape of what we've gotten, see that it's been unilaterally in one direction as far as Nintendo characters go, and reevaluate. I could be wrong, sure, but given the precedent it makes sense to presume that's how the rest of the roster will pan out as well - in favour of the recent.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Does anyone else have a strange feeling that Sakurai is going to commit genocide this week by showing more Assist Trophies? I mean it would be a good idea to show off some of them this week like how he showed stages last week. If it happens this week then no one is safe.

Morbi

Scavenger
Does anyone else have a strange feeling that Sakurai is going to commit genocide this week by showing more Assist Trophies? I mean it would be a good idea to show off some of them this week like how he showed stages last week. If it happens this week then no one is safe.
The characters that I support are most definitely safe, as I support them. ;)

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I'm pretty sure that is the case, but I'm not afraid, as Ghirahim is surely playable and would not get disconfirmed this week.

Right? :c

Last edited:

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
The characters that I support are most definitely safe, as I support them. ;)
I'm literally stoked with what we have. I don't get stoked on a regular basis, but I'm just sayin'. I just have secondary kinda-wants such as K. Rool and Ghirahim and Krystal where I may or may not be totally content with their inclusion or exclusion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom