• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I think it's practically guaranteed that the roster will be at least 50 characters. That's assuming Mewtwo and Lucas are back.

First, you've got the following characters already confirmed to be in:

28 Roster.png
This roster totals at 36. This is all characters confirmed so far, including Mii Fighters.

These are the remaining veterans (besides Squirtle and Ivysaur because chances are they're screwed anyway)

Remaining vets Roster.png
This totals out at 13 characters counting Mewtwo. ( I FORGOT GANONDORF OHFOUSHLJDBGUDHGSNSKDNKOUG)

So in theory, a large chunk of these guys will be added to the already large 36 characters from the first example. I would say at least 10. The only 3 I would remove would be Mewtwo, POSSIBLY Lucas and then Snake. So if you combine those two numbers, you get 46 characters.

Now, add a few more potential newcomers. Shulk, Chorus Men, MAYBE K.Rool...if you add three, you're at 49. A perfect square if you have random in the corner. Or, add Mewtwo or Lucas back instead of a 3rd newcomer. Same result.

I would say AT THE LEAST, expect 50 +/- 1-2. I would not expect more than 52, but wouldn't expect less than 48 either.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
I don't understand why people would see Dixie as more likely than K. Rool.

K. Rool's been the main villain for Donkey Kong Country since Donkey Kong Country.

Sure he hasn't been in the Returns series but he's so important to the series, as are his Kremlings.

Dixie would just end up being another clone or semi-clone.

Niala

Smash Ace
Perhaps his importance and prominence within the series?

Well like you said, you're looking past a few additions you might not find the most likely because characters you find even less likely are omitted, but including those relatively unlikely characters in the first place should probably prompt questioning over whether the roster is really all that realistic, because there are rosters on here which omit Ridley, K. Rool, Bandana Dee, and Sceptile.

It just seems like either the scope of rosters you've seen is kinda small if fairly unlikely characters aren't enough to dissuade you even though other characters found even more unlikely by you aren't included, or that you think a character like Sceptile really does stand a strong chance - because tbh just his inclusion alone throws realism into jeopardy here, and the rest of the roster, while not terrible, doesn't really make up for the unrealistic parts.

Overstated? The DK series is bigger and more popular than any Nintendo series in Smash bar the big 3 (and the Miis).

With multiple plausible, important and popular candidates from the series, I don't see how it getting a third is more of a stretch than Kirby getting a fourth after it's main three have already been included. If anything, Bandana Dee is probably the character with the most overrated chances - sure he's not impossible, but that doesn't mean he's close to being likely.

I guess I just think you're giving too much credence to the removal of Ridley and K. Rool, because there are still several parts on that roster which make claiming it's among the most realistic very questionable. Perhaps that's because you're giving an inordinate amount of credence to the chances of Sceptile, Bandana Dee, only two DK characters... all of which seem definitely not outside the realm of possibility, but not particularly likely.

If it's all on the basis of comparison, I just don't see the unrealistic parts it has outweighing the unrealistic parts (as you see them) it doesn't have.
I have to say I appreciate that you can understand my position even if you disagree with it. Often I feel attacked for not sharing opinions with others, however your posts don't have that aspect.

Your basic analysis is correct, again, we just have different criteria of what makes a character likely. I don't frequent the roster creation thread, so my sample pool of fan rosters is indeed relatively small. Most that I do see appear in this thread, and of those, a large amount have ~more~ characters I see as unlikely. Ridley and K.Rool are the most common appearances, which is why I named them in particular, but I've yet to see a roster with fewer than, let's say, 5 characters I think are unlikely, until, conveniently, Opossum's. So when one appears that I think has a realistic roster size and, by majority, characters I support/think have likelihood, then I'm willing to support it.

Pretty safe good, though I think Dixie is more likely than K. Rool. That'd be my only gripe.
Exactly this.

Yeah, and he could carry a sword to accommodate for any moves it wouldn't make sense for him to perform.
Plus, the dash attack could be altered to have him hold the sword in his hands instead of doing the ninja sign with his hand, and would then resemble his dash attack from Skyward Sword.

The Vanish move could function literally the exact same way, just with a diamond effect. And instead of firing the diamonds consecutively, he could fire them in an arc.
It's truly a perfect fit, and I sort of want to see it.

The best part is, due to lacking a unique moveset, he doesn't need a whole trailer to focus on him. He could instead be featured as part of a more important character's trailer.
I don't even think it's necessary for him to ~carry~ the sword. He can, after all, materialize it on command.

But, truly, I think this is interesting. I could get behind it.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Let's ignore the canon for a second.
We're in a world where Ridley can be small, and Peach keeps Toad in her dress.

Forget the fact that there are the same person in the canon.
Shiek is the same person as Zelda. Zero-Suit Samus is the same person as Samus.
Yet they are still their own characters, looking themselves in the eye.

Established as a different form of Ganondorf, with a completely different look and unique abilities.

All I said was that Ganon deserves his own slot, and can be different from Ganondorf.
I never made any "claims" about what you said.

Wait, Malon?
She only appeared in a few games.
There was Ocarina, Majora's Mask (a game where everyone was a parallel to someone from Ocarina), Oracle of Seasons (maybe it was Ages, I forget), and Minish Cap.
I'm pretty sure that's it.

Vaati on the other hand, does have importance.
But I see him as just important to the Zelda series, as Fawful is to the Mario series. A 3-time villain in a handheld sub-series.
Not that he wouldn't be cool. I love both of those characters.

But his most prominent roles were in the Decline Timeline games. In fact, his appearance in Ocarina was leading into the Decline Timeline.

Yes, more variety would be nice, but I'm just stating wether he deserves a slot, and has a decent chance of being in the game.
And considering the only Zelda characters we have are the big 3, and two variations of two of them, Ganon makes perfect sense in my eyes.

That's a completely necessary comment.

Which hints towards a game that further explores the backstory behind the series, AKA Ocarina of a time.

And this isn't the Ganondorf that is in Smash.
And as I said before, forget about the whole "Same person thing."
Smash is not canon. They may not be the same person, but that Ganon and the Decline Timeline Ganon are the same character.

This transformation leads into the Decline Timeline AKA the classic games.

Once more, I'll say that canon doesn't matter.
Ganondorf and Ganon are different characters. Just like how Sheik is a different character from Zelda.
"Forget they are the same person"
--It would balance it out, two of each character
"It isnt canon it doesnt matter"
--They are different so it fits fine

I'm losing you, good sir.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
9.91827374657658382929000934740209219083249734/10, would approve wholeheartedly with Mii Fighters taking up one slot and adding Lucas and Random.
They do take up one slot. It's just a big slot. :p

How come? Popularity?
A few reasons. Popularity's definitely one, but not the major one, considering

A) Dixie's not unpopular.
B) It seems popularity doesn't matter as much now.

However, it mainly stems from Chrom. If Sakurai thought three swordsmen were not easy to distinguish when Chrom could be made unique, but went with Robin because he'd be easier to make unique, I can't imagine he wouldn't think the same about three Kongs when the "more unique" alternative exists. Sure, he almost added Dixie in Brawl, but he also almost added Roy. Roy, in theory, was also snubbed over for Robin due to being much more unique. I can see the same happening with Dixie and K. Rool.

Plus, add in the heavy emphasis on Kremlings in Smash Run when he could have went for just Tikis and Snowmads, as well as having (apparently) a Kremling boss (who likely isn't K. Rool due to them mostly being generic enemies from what we've seen) in Smash Run, and the fact that we haven't seen a new DK stage (which may indicate that the stage is a dead giveaway to the character, such as the Gangplank Galleon), and it makes me think that K. Rool is the most likely option not on the Sal Leak to be made playable.

See? You gave me a penny for my thoughts and you just got my two cents. You doubled your money. :p

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

K. Rool's been the main villain for Donkey Kong Country since Donkey Kong Country.
But Sakurai doesn't seem to be focusing on what happened way back then, he seems to be focusing on the time period in which Dixie became playable in DKC again and K. Rool played baseball.

I wouldn't be playing the recency card if every single last Nintendo newcomer this time hadn't had a notable title featuring them post-Brawl, of which Dixie has and K. Rool doesn't.

Sure he hasn't been in the Returns series but he's so important to the series, as are his Kremlings.
I don't deny his importance, I just think Dixie's more recent importance is worth more to Sakurai, especially since he already attempted to include her, even if it was likely as a semi-clone.

That's a point against originality, not likelihood.

Being clone potential is often what gets some characters who normally wouldn't make the cut included.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I don't even think it's necessary for him to ~carry~ the sword. He can, after all, materialize it on command.
But, truly, I think this is interesting. I could get behind it.
Well, I guess, but I feel like it make him more stylish.
And considering he's a semi-clone, it would make his seem more distinct.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
They do take up one slot. It's just a big slot. :p

A few reasons. Popularity's definitely one, but not the major one, considering

A) Dixie's not unpopular.
B) It seems popularity doesn't matter as much now.

However, it mainly stems from Chrom. If Sakurai thought three swordsmen were not easy to distinguish when Chrom could be made unique, but went with Robin because he'd be easier to make unique, I can't imagine he wouldn't think the same about three Kongs when the "more unique" alternative exists. Sure, he almost added Dixie in Brawl, but he also almost added Roy. Roy, in theory, was also snubbed over for Robin due to being much more unique. I can see the same happening with Dixie and K. Rool.

Plus, add in the heavy emphasis on Kremlings in Smash Run when he could have went for just Tikis and Snowmads, as well as having (apparently) a Kremling boss (who likely isn't K. Rool due to them mostly being generic enemies from what we've seen) in Smash Run, and the fact that we haven't seen a new DK stage (which may indicate that the stage is a dead giveaway to the character, such as the Gangplank Galleon), and it makes me think that K. Rool is the most likely option not on the Sal Leak to be made playable.

See? You gave me a penny for my thoughts and you just got my two cents. You doubled your money. :p
Woah, dude, good explanation and elaboration of your thoughts, 10/10, would read again, keep up the good work. Took the words right out of my brain.

In all seriousness another Kong as a separate character isn't very likely given the Chrom situation, I just don't see it any other way besides her being an alternate costume.

Not to mention Dixie is closer to an alt costume for Diddy than Lucina is for Chrom.

K. Rool all the way, baby.

Last edited:

Niala

Smash Ace

This is exactly why I see Dixie as more likely than K.Rool. Smash hasn't proven that villains are a big aspect in terms of choosing them as playable characters. In fact, the only true villains I would say are Ganondorf, Bowser, King Dedede, and to a certain extent, Mewtwo... There are certainly other characters who are rivals, but in terms of villains... we have seldom few.

On top of that, it seems a lot of the characters being chosen are coming from recent games rather than old ones. Even retro characters have recent updates, Little Mac for example. Dixie has had more importance as of late.

Well, I guess, but I feel like it make him more stylish.
And considering he's a semi-clone, it would make his seem more distinct.
How could you possibly argue against adding style to Ghirahim! Blasphemy! :awesome:
But I do see your point. It would take a lot more time to do something like that than a semi-clone would usually have.

...What was that about K. Rool? :demon:
Uh... Nothing. Just... positive words and feelings and sunshine praising his greatness, tis'all. :psycho:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Last edited:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Even though you have Chorus Men, and no retro, I still really like this roster because you have Sami. While I haven't played AW, I still think a character from the game would be cool.

Here is mine:

Andy's row could take Isaac or Snake's spot.
Lip's row could take Duck Hunt Dog's spot.

Or you could think those six could take any spot.

epicgordan

Smash Ace
Here's a fully updated roster that includes a whopping 60 playable characters (which I consider to be extremely wishful thinking, but let's wait and see what happens first):
WiiU Roster.png

Blue represents the returning veterans on the starting roster.
Green is the list of newcomers on the starting roster.
Yellow is the list of unlockable veterans.
Red is the list of unlockable newcomers.

Cuts: Lucas, Snake, Ivysaur, and Squirtle.

Random is underneath the Mii Fighters to represent a toggle option when customizations are utilized.

Now granted, the only newcomers I have at least a bit of confidence in at are: Ridley, Shulk, Dark Pit, King K. Rool, Chorus Kids, Ghirahim, and 8-Bit Mario in descending order. But, for the sake of giving these guys a fair shot, I added in Dixie Kong, Bandana Dee, Krystal, and hopefully, Reyn. Threw in Excitebiker and Duck Hunt Dog because at this point in time, they seem to be the most viable options for retro representation outside of the joke character option for 8-Bit.

Now, concerning the characters that I added: I would consider Bandana Dee interchangeable with Lucas since I never found his odds to be particularly that great to begin with. Neither does Reyn, Excitebiker, Duck Hunt Dog, or Krystal, but they were either characters that would have made sense, those that I wanted (granted, my reasonings are rather lame), or were simply padding for the roster. As far as additional newcomers outside of the seven I have provided are concerned, Dixie Kong is the only potential newcomer that I have much hope in being playable at all.

But, a roster size of 60 playable characters are just a best-case scenario. Through all intents and purposes, I consider 55-56 to be a safe estimation when it comes to roster size. What do you guys think? Btw, here's the odds:

Ridley: 100%
Shulk: 98%
Dark Pit: 80%
King K. Rool: 75%
Chorus Kids: 70%
Ghirahim: 60%
Dixie Kong: 50%
Excitebiker: 30%
Duck Hunt Dog: 25%
8-Bit Mario: 20% (I only keep him in my main roster because the three right above him have no evidence in their favor yet while he does)
Bandana Dee: 10%
Krystal: 5%
Reyn: 1%

Attachments

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
I never thought about Ghirahaim until recently. Some of you have caused me to think he has a chance. Congrats.

Paper Mario, Ayumi, and Bowser Jr. have chances also but to a lesser extent. Even Donbe and Hikari do.

Last edited:

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
The point isn't that K. Rool is a villain, the point is is that he's much more unique.

Dixie is just another sidekick character in the DKC series alongside Diddy and Kiddy (and now Cranky). Heck in DKC2 Diddy and Dixie are partnered together for the entire game I believe.

Dixie is so much closer to being an alt costume than a separate character. You could say that she can use her hair, I could say that Diddy doesn't use his rockets in this game so correspondingly Dixie doesn't have to use her hair as a recovery.

The only issue is their popguns. They both have the same stunning effects in the DKC series. However in Smash Diddy's peanut shots can break on contact to leave peanuts. I don't know how that would translate to Bubblegum shots. Then again that property of Diddy's Popgun attack hasn't been shown yet in this game.

K. Rool has so much more going for him. Sure he has villain status, significance, popularity, but he can do so much more. He can toss his crown, fire cannonballs, fly with helicopter packs, and so much more. He could be a long-ranged, projectile-based heavyweight, which is something we haven't seen in the game yet.

Besides Snake. But Snake isn't massive like K. Rool, and he's probably gone this time around. Haha.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

Planned for Brawl, still a popular character amongst Nintendo fans, being promoted currently by Nintendo, one of the few female characters that is actually quite kickass, starred in her own game, co-starred in the most popular DK game, etc.

She has quite a lot going for her honestly.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Here's a fully updated roster that includes a whopping 60 playable characters (which I consider to be extremely wishful thinking, but let's wait and see what happens first):
View attachment 19733

Random is underneath the Mii Fighters to represent a toggle option when customizations are utilized.

Now granted, the only newcomers I have at least a bit of confidence in at are: Ridley, Shulk, Dark Pit, King K. Rool, Chorus Kids, Ghirahim, and 8-Bit Mario in descending order. But, for the sake of giving these guys a fair shot, I added in Dixie Kong, Bandana Dee, Krystal, and hopefully, Reyn. Threw in Excitebiker and Duck Hunt Dog because at this point in time, they seem to be the most viable options for retro representation outside of the joke character option for 8-Bit.

Now, concerning the characters that I added: I would consider Bandana Dee interchangeable with Lucas since I never found his odds to be particularly that great to begin with. Neither does Reyn, Excitebiker, Duck Hunt Dog, or Krystal, but they were either characters that would have made sense, those that I wanted (granted, my reasonings are rather lame), or were simply padding for the roster. As far as additional newcomers outside of the seven I have provided are concerned, Dixie Kong is the only potential newcomer that I have much hope in being playable at all.

But, a roster size of 60 playable characters are just a best-case scenario. Through all intents and purposes, I consider 55-56 to be a safe estimation when it comes to roster size. What do you guys think? Btw, here's the odds:

8-Bit Mario: 20% (I only keep him in my main roster because the three right above him have no evidence in their favor yet while he does)
What evidence does 8-Bit Mario have?

Also, a LOT of those percentages are waaaay too high.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
Planned for Brawl, still a popular character amongst Nintendo fans, being promoted currently by Nintendo, one of the few female characters that is actually quite kickass, starred in her own game, co-starred in the most popular DK game, etc.

She has quite a lot going for her honestly.
Honestly only as an alt costume, it suits her best as one.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
View attachment 19733

Three retro characters are way too much. And is Reyn from Xenoblade? Really quick I thought he was a Last Story character. Xenoblade won't get two characters.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Even though you have Chorus Men, and no retro, I still really like this roster because you have Sami. While I haven't played AW, I still think a character from the game would be cool.

Here is mine:

Andy's row could take Isaac or Snake's spot.
Lip's row could take Duck Hunt Dog's spot.

Or you could think those six could take any spot.
Man, I freaking love rosters that give me OPTIONS. :awesome:

Anyway, Isaac sits this one out for Debbie, and DHD for Mach Rider and his rad theme song.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Honestly only as an alt costume, it suits her best as one.
I disagree. Dixie plays nothing like Diddy Kong, being a far more aerial based fighter who doesn't use tech. Dixie also lacks the tail Diddy has, and Diddy lacks the weaponised ponytail Dixie has.

Having Dixie as a Diddy alt doesn't suit at all outside of similar bodyshapes. It'd be like saying Ganondorf suits his Captain Falcon moveset because similar bodyshapes.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'm not really sure if Dixie would really work as an alternate costume for Diddy Kong. She doesn't even have a tail (or..... does she?) and if I recall correctly, Diddy has at least a tail attack or two.... Which from what I understood, would probably more likely prompt Sakurai to turn her into her own separate character.

Last edited:

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
I'm not really sure if Dixie would really work as an alternate costume for Diddy Kong. She doesn't even have a tail (or... does she?) and if I recall correctly, Diddy has a few tail attacks and so.... Which from what I understood, would probably more likely prompt Sakurai to turn her into her own separate character.
I disagree. Dixie plays nothing like Diddy Kong, being a far more aerial based fighter who doesn't use tech. Dixie also lacks the tail Diddy has, and Diddy lacks the weaponised ponytail Dixie has.

Having Dixie as a Diddy alt doesn't suit at all outside of similar bodyshapes. It'd be like saying Ganondorf suits his Captain Falcon moveset because similar bodyshapes.
They can alter their animations without altering their hitboxes. I don't think it's been done before but it's completely possible. Have Dixie's hair attacks match Diddy's tail attacks' hitboxes, and it will be good.

Niala

Smash Ace
Man, I freaking love rosters that give me OPTIONS. :awesome:

Anyway, Isaac sits this one out for Debbie, and DHD for Mach Rider and his rad theme song.
Short of his rad theme song, I never knew much about Mach Rider. What would separate him as a fighter from somebody like Captain Falcon? They're both buff dudes who would do a lot of punching the heck out of people, I would think.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Short of his rad theme song, I never knew much about Mach Rider. What would separate him as a fighter from somebody like Captain Falcon? They're both buff dudes who would do a lot of punching the heck out of people, I would think.
Unlike Falcon, he might use the gun he has. Plus he could ride his bike like Wario since it'd be small enough.

Niala

Smash Ace
View attachment 19738
Viola. Here is my roster. I actually like this one more than the others I've made.
ftfy

Unlike Falcon, he might use the gun he has. Plus he could ride his bike like Wario since it'd be small enough.
The bike I had assumed, but for some reason I took it to be his alternate version of Falcon's Final Smash. Similar to Wario I could see too, now that it's been brought up. I also didn't know he had a gun, thanks for the information.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I honestly think Dixie Kong would make a great semi clone of Diddy. Just not a straight clone.
I feel like Donkey Kong deserves a unique newcomer, in the form of King K. Rool, and Dixie Kong as a semi-clone bonus.

I do not, and never have seen the problem with adding fan-demanded characters as semi-clones.
Characters like Impa, Dixie Kong, Ghirahim, Lucina, Medusa and maybe Chrom could all work as last-minute additions.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
This is SO close to my perfect roster for the game, so freaking close, though I have my doubts about there being 55 characters just because I'm a pessimist and we added 13 overall characters from Melee's 26 to Brawl's 39, so 50-52 has always felt like my comfort range that is hopefully realistic unless Sakurai isn't going to have such a large roster... That said if this was indeed the final roster I would be one very happy Smash fan, other than missing Issac and a Zelda newcomer due to the trophy quiz, but even then I just want the trophy quiz to be true for Ridley's sake, not necessarily a new Zelda character.

I don't know if it's just me, but as of right now the roster just feels so incomplete, and I suppose it should seeing as it is, but 36 just seems way to low and missing so many big characters at the moment, though I'm not disappointed with the newcomers at all as some people are, but I'm missing that other big newcomer that finally puts my hype into overdrive.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
You know who'd make the best last minute clones?

Roy, Dr. Mario, and Young Link. :)

I'm not kidding as I preferred them to their counter parts in Melee.

Also, Bandana Dee could have a shot also, I forgot to put him in the options

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Thing is, Sakurai seemingly only considered Awakening characters. If he wanted someone more unique than Dixie (who I very much doubt would be subject to the same fate as Chrom - especially since her main gimmick - her hair, isn't shared by Diddy) based on precedent... he'd probably go with Cranky. I know that's quite the claim to make, but Sakurai looked first and foremost at Awakening. He chose Rosalina, the underdog over several characters more popular, just as feasible, but less impacting in the recent years. He allocated a spot for an X/Y Pokemon before he considered Mewtwo. It looks like we might not even get a true retro character. He's very clearly chosen which era he's picking his characters from, and it's not one that includes K. Rool in any prominent role. I agree he could be unique, and I agree that he's important within the series. I even think he'd be a better addition than Dixie, but I don't think any of those things are what Sakurai is focusing on this time. I think it's pretty obvious he's looking at what's happened since Brawl, and if there's already a character who had a fairly good record in an underrepresented series and now has made a return in a prevalent, important, and popular game, I think that's going to give them the edge over a character who hasn't made any large impacts... for a long time now. Also, Sakurai tried and failed with Chrom. If we wanted to go the Chrom route for explaining why Dixie wouldn't make it, he would try first with Dixie, and do you really think he'd not be able to come up with a moveset for her? The guy already had a vision of how she'd play last time, and I can't imagine it would've been a direct copy of Diddy even if it was to be a semi-cloned moveset.

People are underselling Dixie's potential for uniqueness just because they want K. Rool to be the one included, and I don't really blame them, but we can't discard Sakurai's penchant for being able to create movesets we'd never suspect and finding originality even if he can't for every character. People were expecting Rosalina would only ever amount to a semi-clone, and look how that ended up. Dixie does have clear potential, both as an original character and a clone, which is not a point against her.

The difference between Dixie and Roy is that Dixie has continued to make high-profile appearances, she's not in the same position she was during Brawl where the last time she really mattered was like... with DKC3. To me it seems like Roy wasn't even considered this time because Sakurai was just focusing on Awakening.

Also, Gangplank Galleon would be as much a giveaway for K. Rool as Pyrosphere was for Ridley. For all we know that would mean K. Rool could be a stage boss hazard thing, not a character. But looking at the selection of stages so far, I can't imagine we won't be getting a DK one not based on either DKCR or TF. Every single Nintendo series so far has had a stage based off a post-Brawl title, except SF for obvious reasons.

I also don't understand why DK is being lumped with Diddy and Dixie in this three Kongs business, it's not like he plays similarly.

Like I said, I wouldn't be pushing for recency if that didn't seem to be the clear way the tide is turning. Believe me. The focus on post-Brawl doesn't exactly help the characters I want to see either, but I'm not going to chalk up every Nintendo character being post-Brawl important as a coincidence.

Really the only thing that does bode well for K. Rool are the Kremlings, but that could still mean a number of things tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom