• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
The important thing is that objectively, the only thing Ganon and Ganondorf share is a title.

I think I'm safe in saying these entities are different enough to justify making them separate characters.

Last edited:

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
Me gusta. Though it's somewhat disappointing that most of the remaining newcomers are clones...
Still, Medusa over Dark Pit is a +.
Only thing I'm uncertain about is Ganon, but he would make an interesting moveset. Who would the clones be from this roster?
Black Shadow would be the only real clone (he would take Ganondorf's old moveset) and Dixie would be a semi-clone of Diddy. The rest would be completely original.

@ JaidynReiman JaidynReiman
Ganon is the original villain of TLoZ. It doesn't matter if he's the same person as Ganondorf; The fact remains that the original games depicted him as a blue pig monster, not a Gerudo.

It's just like Link being depicted as a child in most of the Zelda games. Sakurai felt that aspect of him should be represented, and thus we got first Young Link, then Toon Link as playable characters. Ganon appears as... well, Ganon, in most Zelda games. He's definitely more deserving than Sheik, who up until now had only appeared in a single game outside of Smash.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If Samus and ZSS can be separate characters, if Link and Young Link can be separate characters, if Mario and Dr. Mario can be separate characters, if Zelda and Sheik can be separate characters, Ganondorf and Ganon can be separate characters.

Though I'd rather just have a decloned and revamped Ganondorf.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
If we're talking about alternate versions of characters, they'll most likely have their own character slot. That said,
Paper Mario and Classic Ganon for Smash!

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero

My somewhat-pessimistic mindset is that 51 total character slots, 53 characters is going to be our total for Sm4sh( 4x13+Random). Moving up from the 39 total characters in Brawl (counting the 3 in Pokemon Trainer as separate, the same for Mii Fighters), this is the amount Melee got added with ONE clone that can still have a different playstyle with the same moves based upon properties alongside some characters getting big overhauls for a lot more of the roster to be balanced? I love it! Keeping Melee cuts, Snake, Squirtle, and Ivysaur out, we have a realistic chance of 4 newcomers. Everyone but Shulk on this roster will probably make me catch some flak, especially without some popular villains, but this is what I would like to see with realism. I don't think Marshal, Bandanna Dee, or Sceptile are too outlandish for choices in terms of characters, and as fighters they have their options to be unique. Wanna swap Sceptile for King K. Rool or Mewtwo? Feel free. I can't envision Ridley or Ghirahim as fighters here, however, and that's personal things and by no means am I Sakurai or anyone else making this game. (Technically, for a more "realistic" layout, I'd reposition Mii Fighters to the bottom left so they could turn into another Random slot online, sliding the rest of the row over one, and swap Ganondorf and Tink)

If we ended up with 5x11, with random, giving us another 3 slots. I'd feel better on characters like Isaac, King K. Rool, and maybe Bowser Jr. for another 3 newcomers but that is a bit of a stretch, considering the time we have remaining and the unknowns.

PS: Blue = Vet Starter, Green = Newcomer Starter, Red = Vet Unlockable, Yellow = Newcomer Unlockable

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
If Samus and ZSS can be separate characters, if Link and Young Link can be separate characters, if Mario and Dr. Mario can be separate characters, if Zelda and Sheik can be separate characters, Ganondorf and Ganon can be separate characters.

Though I'd rather just have a decloned and revamped Ganondorf.
I hate this notion. I never said they COULDN'T. I just don't want them to, we have enough "alternate version of existing character" as is. And I don't think Ganon "deserves" to be a separate character (although he COULD be a separate character).

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
I wish they would add Aiden Pearce Siegfried Schtauffen Black Shadow. Maybe it's possible, now...

....though is it possible that characters that are assist trophies or final smashes to become dlc characters? Like Chrom or Samurai Goroh?

Niala

Smash Ace

My somewhat-pessimistic mindset is that 51 total character slots, 53 characters is going to be our total for Sm4sh( 4x13+Random). Moving up from the 39 total characters in Brawl (counting the 3 in Pokemon Trainer as separate, the same for Mii Fighters), this is the amount Melee got added with ONE clone that can still have a different playstyle with the same moves based upon properties alongside some characters getting big overhauls for a lot more of the roster to be balanced? I love it! Keeping Melee cuts, Snake, Squirtle, and Ivysaur out, we have a realistic chance of 4 newcomers. Everyone but Shulk on this roster will probably make me catch some flak, especially without some popular villains, but this is what I would like to see with realism. I don't think Marshal, Bandanna Dee, or Sceptile are too outlandish for choices in terms of characters, and as fighters they have their options to be unique. Wanna swap Sceptile for King K. Rool or Mewtwo? Feel free. I can't envision Ridley or Ghirahim as fighters here, however, and that's personal things and by no means am I Sakurai or anyone else making this game. (Technically, for a more "realistic" layout, I'd reposition Mii Fighters to the bottom left so they could turn into another Random slot online, sliding the rest of the row over one, and swap Ganondorf and Tink)

If we ended up with 5x11, with random, giving us another 3 slots. I'd feel better on characters like Isaac, King K. Rool, and maybe Bowser Jr. for another 3 newcomers but that is a bit of a stretch, considering the time we have remaining and the unknowns.
This is the most realistic roster I've seen yet tbh.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I hate this notion. I never said they COULDN'T. I just don't want them to, we have enough "alternate version of existing character" as is. And I don't think Ganon "deserves" to be a separate character (although he COULD be a separate character).
At this point I think I'd rather have big pig Ganon over another Zelda newcomer, he seems like he'd be a cool character, and he does hold more importance and prominence within the series than most one or two-shot characters, but I get where you're coming from.

I mean we already have a second Link and two forms of Zelda, why not have another Ganny? That said, it's also not a character I support, I'd rather other characters in different series be added over more Zelda characters, of which we frankly don't need any more.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725

The only thing I have a problem with is that, Donkey Kong only has two characters while Kirby has four. Now I know that, like how the Brawl opening trailer showed, that it was Zelda, Mario, Pokemon, and Kirby as sort of the "big 4" but now that Donkey Kong entered the screen with Link, Kirby, Pikachu, and Mario in the 3DS trailer, and he was present in the Megaman trailer with Link, Mario, and Kirby (even Pikachu was missing) it makes me think that Sakurai thinks that Donkey Kong deserves more Representation.

The other issue, is one you've already pointed out. Sceptile. But I'm not sure how long it's been since AS and OR have been planned, as that may affect his playability. Greninja's lack of Dorsel Fin and webbing in his fingers makes me think he was purposely supposed to look like Mewtwo for a reason other than trolling.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Pig Ganon is definitely a character I'd like to see. I really enjoyed fighting him in A Link to the Past back then and I like the idea of a character who fights using a Trident. I think he'd lend himself well in Smash imo.

That said, I'm not really sure we will really be seeing 6 Zelda characters though. If we do, I certainly wouldn't be opposed to Ganon.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Ooh, and I found some concept art for Oracle Ganondorf!

I really like how Oracle!Ganon looks completely different from Oracle!Ganondorf, only sharing the skull-themed necklace and belt. Even the beast-form Ganons from OoT and Twilight Princess had some morphic resonance with Ganondorf, but here, Ganon doesn't even share the Gerudo markings.

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542

PS: Blue = Vet Starter, Green = Newcomer Starter, Red = Vet Unlockable, Yellow = Newcomer Unlockable
I'd swap Sceptile for Mewtwo.
Also Bandana Dee or Marshall for Ridley or K. Rool.

This is the most realistic roster I've seen yet tbh.
What N3ON said:
The most realistic roster you've seen has Sceptile and Bandana Dee while DK gets two spots?
And don't forget the fact that Sceptile is in OVER Mewtwo.

If Sceptile is in (which I doubt), he would be the 7th Pokémon character. Mewtwo and Jigglypuff would get in before him.

Burruni

Smash Hero
The only thing I have a problem with is that, Donkey Kong only has two characters while Kirby has four.
The most realistic roster you've seen has Sceptile and Bandana Dee while DK gets two spots?
I know this roster has problems, and as I have stated in and out of this site, it is mostly in Sceptile. Solely looking at the Pokemon line up (especially since, as GameFreak has a "new game" and "remakes" team, OR/AS has likely been in the works for about as long as X/Y but with only a few new designs in the form of Mega Evolutions). But he is, even in my opinion, the weakest of my 4 newcomers on the roster. (Guys, I just don't personally like Mewtwo as a fighter because of how utterly disappointed I was in him when it came to Melee. You can like him if you want, but I don't.)

I agree DK has enough merit to have 3 characters. Especially if Star Fox has only three *grumble grumble* And since my want of humor with Cranky Kong showin' these youngin's how it is done, I much prefer some Killin' Kombat over the Girl with the Whirl. Personal bias for the Pokemon games has me with Sceptile for our big-bellied green lizard.

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I agree with Kikwi, Pig Ganon would fit into the Smash universe really well.

He's also arguably the best choice for a Zelda newcomer, since the only characters that appear consistently are Link, Zelda, and Ganon. Having two variations of these three characters would be pretty ideal, besides we need more of the big guys! We're not even sure if we're getting K. Rool and / or Ridley, so the more the merrier I say!

Doompatron3000

Smash Journeyman
I think he means in terms of roster size, which I agree. My more optimistic roster only has 57 characters on it, while I believe we will probably be getting about 50-52 characters.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Honestly, Ganon 'deserves' to be in more than Ganondorf, and if he hadn't been shoehorned into melee as a clone, I wonder if it would have garnered serious considersation over dorf in brawl.

Though Twilight Princess was real recent and they were real into it in brawl so probably not:(

Also
I know this roster has problems, and as I have stated in and out of this site, it is mostly in Sceptile. Solely looking at the Pokemon line up (especially since, as GameFreak has a "new game" and "remakes" team, OR/AS has likely been in the works for about as long as X/Y but with only a few new designs in the form of Mega Evolutions). But he is, even in my opinion, the weakest of my 4 newcomers on the roster.

I agree DK has enough merit to have 3 characters. Especially if Star Fox has only three *grumble grumble* And since my want of humor with Cranky Kong showin' these youngin's how it is done, I much prefer some Killin' Kombat over the Girl with the Whirl. Personal bias for the Pokemon games has me with Sceptile for our big-bellied green lizard.
I like Sceptile over Mewtwo just for the sake of the starter triad being complete, and I'm real indifferent to Mewtwo personally. Also Kranky would be dope

Swap out Bandana Dee (and could take or leave marshall) for anyone else ( like K Rool) and it's a near perfect while remaining realistic roster for me.

Last edited:

Niala

Smash Ace
Helluva lot more realistic than people who actually think Ridley will be playable.

Or K.Rool.

Sorry I'm not getting in an argument over it, but yeah, I'd believe Sceptile AND Bandana Dee before EITHER of those two, which are on every other roster.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Honestly, Ganon 'deserves' to be in more than Ganondorf, and if he hadn't been shoehorned into melee as a clone, I wonder if it would have garnered serious considersation over dorf in brawl.

Though Twilight Princess was real recent and they were real into it in brawl so probably not:(
I swear, if they hadn't included classic Zelda music in the games, I would swear Sakurai had never played a Zelda game before Ocarina of Time.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
A variant of Zelda. A variant of Link. Oh hell, Why not a variant of Ganon?

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Helluva lot more realistic than people who actually think Ridley will be playable.

Or K.Rool.

Sorry I'm not getting in an argument over it, but yeah, I'd believe Sceptile AND Bandana Dee before EITHER of those two, which are on every other roster.
So Ridley I get as a questionable choice (since Sakurai set up the Direct to make it look like Ridley is a boss), but why are K. Rool's chances so slim?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think he means in terms of roster size, which I agree. My more optimistic roster only has 57 characters on it, while I believe we will probably be getting about 50-52 characters.
I don't think he meant in terms of roster size, 51 character rosters aren't exactly super uncommon...

Or K.Rool.

Putting unrealistic characters on the roster doesn't make it realistic because other were omitted.

I'm done debating Ridley, but a third DK rep certainly is more realistic than a fouth Kirby rep and a sixth Pokemon rep that isn't Mewtwo.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I don't think he meant in terms of roster size, 51 character rosters aren't exactly super uncommon...

Putting unrealistic characters on the roster doesn't make it realistic because other were omitted.

I'm done debating Ridley, but a third DK rep certainly is more realistic than a fouth Kirby rep and a sixth Pokemon rep that isn't Mewtwo.
People really overstate Bandanna Dee's chances, I have no problem with him and Kirby would be about as Likely to get a 4th as Zelda is to get a 6th, but Donkey Kong should really take precedence over both of them.

SureNsync

Smash Journeyman
Am I the only one who's getting tired of Sceptile?
I was sick of Sceptile the first time he was mentioned as a Smash candidate. The roster was decided 2 years ago too late and all of a sudden when a Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire remake is confirmed, they start throwing the guy in rosters as if Smash Wii U and 3DS was just announced.

Niala

Smash Ace
So Ridley I get as a questionable choice (since Sakurai set up the Direct to make it look like Ridley is a boss), but why are K. Rool's chances so slim?
I just don't see any reason TO believe in him. Kremlings being in Smash Run holds some amount of value, but short of that I'm uncertain as to where the massive support really comes from.

Putting unrealistic characters on the roster doesn't make it realistic because you've omitted others.

I'm afraid I don't understand your point about omission. While your statement is true, if he includes characters I think are more likely than characters on other rosters, and my statement was entirely about a comparison between his roster versus other rosters I've seen, then I don't think it's unreasonable to say "I think this roster is more likely because I think other rosters are less likely than this."

He was correct in stating that I believed the roster size was more accurate, but that's not the entirety of it. I am fully able to admit I could be wrong, but I believe the importance of DK games to be somewhat overstated-- although I could believe in something like Dixie. Not only has she been around much more lately, but she has, in fact, starred in her own game. Again, I just don't see any reason to actually believe in K.Rool.

I'll agree that Mewtwo is probably more likely than Sceptile, certainly. But seeing one character that I might disagree with that has a roster size that I think is likely accurate is certainly something I would consider as more realistic than having multiple characters I might disagree with with roster sizes I think are likely inaccurate. Again, it was a question of comparison, not strict likelihood.

Bandana Dee is very "neither-here-nor-there" for me. I know little to nothing about Kirby games, and don't really intend on changing that. But, I will say that it doesn't seem impossible.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I was sick of Sceptile the first time he was mentioned as a Smash candidate. The roster was decided 2 years ago too late and all of a sudden when a Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire remake is confirmed, they start throwing the guy in rosters as if Smash Wii U and 3DS was just announced.
To be fair, Sceptile was mentioned quite often even before the remake was confirmed. He's been mentioned a lot more now that the remake has been confirmed.

Still, I find it funny. Every time a new game is announced, people jump on the bandwagon and say "XYZ character for Smash!" I think Takamaru should tell people to stop getting their expectations out of hand.

I just don't see any reason TO believe in him. Kremlings being in Smash Run holds some amount of value, but short of that I'm uncertain as to where the massive support really comes from.
Then do the research instead of immediately jumping all over a character because YOU think the character is unlikely. Watch the old K. Rool boss battles, look up how prominent K. Rool is throughout the entire DK franchise. And even then, there's still Dixie Kong, and DK's massive popularity compared to the Kirby franchise. DKC Returns ought to say something about the notion of DK being extremely likely to get another newcomer.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I kept it at 55. If I bumped it to 56, Ghirahim would totally be there.

I think a clone or two will happen, and Dark Pit is a pretty likely one in my book.
The reason I don't think Dark Pit will happen is because he literally lines up with Sakurai's thoughts on clones/alts. As in, he's basically alternate costume material.

Not to mention, if he were in the game as playable, why wouldn't they have just revealed him in the Palutena trailer? That would have been the best time to reveal him. I myself think that that ending was a hint at him being an alternate costume. But eh. To each his own.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
To be fair, Sceptile was mentioned quite often even before the remake was confirmed. He's been mentioned a lot more now that the remake has been confirmed.

Still, I find it funny. Every time a new game is announced, people jump on the bandwagon and say "XYZ character for Smash!" I think Takamaru should tell people to stop getting their expectations out of hand.

Then do the research instead of immediately jumping all over a character because YOU think the character is unlikely. Watch the old K. Rool boss battles, look up how prominent K. Rool is throughout the entire DK franchise. And even then, there's still Dixie Kong, and DK's massive popularity compared to the Kirby franchise. DKC Returns ought to say something about the notion of DK being extremely likely to get another newcomer.
This was a post right after the Greninja trailer, back when the Sceptile thread was in its infancy. I convinced me that if Sceptile wasn't in the game, at least WHY he deserves a spot.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
You know what always bothers me about the whole Black Shadow taking Gannondorf's move set thing?

It is something I support but the truth is that Captain Falcon's moveset is meant to represent the fact that he is a race care driver. It's why he is so fast. By that same thinking....it wouldn't make sense for any F-Zero character to be as slow as Ganondorf currently is.

Niala

Smash Ace
First of all, you might want to read the entirety of my posts before jumping to conclusions-- I just finished stating that I can see an argument for Dixie Kong.

Secondly, Yes I have played through several DK games myself, including all of the Donkey Kong Country games, DK64 several times, and both the DKCReturn games. I'm aware, at least to some degree, of what he can provide. That doesn't change my perspective, however.

You all act as though every god-damn thing somebody says has to have 100% objectivity. That I can't consider a character unlikely simply because I see no reason to believe in them. Simply because I don't agree with your reasons. Sheesh.

I feel like my post from an hour ago is being completely ignored...

It was a good idea, I think.
If you mean the Ghirahim being a semi-clone of Sheik thing, I hadn't really thought much of it until now. But I can see what you mean, throwing diamonds instead of needles, he has similar proportions, and works off the same idea of agility over strict power. It is indeed a good idea.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
It would be easy to develop and we'd have a 2nd F-Zero character on top of that... but I can't help but feel like it would be a cop out to Black Shadow.

SuperBoshi

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
JOHN#281
Honestly, I think Goemon would be a cool and neat addition to Super Smash Bros. though he kind of loses point for being blue haired (Sonic, Marth, Ike & Lucina) it would be cool to revive a series that has been in the dirt for quite sometime now. Plus hes a ninja, who doesn't wanna play as a ninja, and no I'm talking about a human ninja, sorry Greninja.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Perhaps his importance and prominence within the series?

I'm afraid I don't understand your point about omission. While your statement is true, if he includes characters I think are more likely than characters on other rosters, and my statement was entirely about a comparison between his roster versus other rosters I've seen, then I don't think it's unreasonable to say "I think this roster is more likely because I think other rosters are less likely than this."
Well like you said, you're looking past a few additions you might not find the most likely because characters you find even less likely are omitted, but including those relatively unlikely characters in the first place should probably prompt questioning over whether the roster is really all that realistic, because there are rosters on here which omit Ridley, K. Rool, Bandana Dee, and Sceptile.

It just seems like either the scope of rosters you've seen is kinda small if fairly unlikely characters aren't enough to dissuade you even though other characters found even more unlikely by you aren't included, or that you think a character like Sceptile really does stand a strong chance - because tbh just his inclusion alone throws realism into jeopardy here, and the rest of the roster, while not terrible, doesn't really make up for the unrealistic parts.

He was correct in stating that I believed the roster size was more accurate, but that's not the entirety of it. I am fully able to admit I could be wrong, but I believe the importance of DK games to be somewhat overstated-- although I could believe in something like Dixie. Not only has she been around much more lately, but she has, in fact, starred in her own game. Again, I just don't see any reason to actually believe in K.Rool.
Overstated? The DK series is bigger and more popular than any Nintendo series in Smash bar the big 3 (and the Miis).

With multiple plausible, important and popular candidates from the series, I don't see how it getting a third is more of a stretch than Kirby getting a fourth after it's main three have already been included. If anything, Bandana Dee is probably the character with the most overrated chances - sure he's not impossible, but that doesn't mean he's close to being likely.

I'll agree that Mewtwo is probably more likely than Sceptile, certainly. But seeing one character that I might disagree with that has a roster size that I think is likely accurate is certainly something I would consider as more realistic than having multiple characters I might disagree with with roster sizes I think are likely inaccurate. Again, it was a question of comparison, not strict likelihood.
I guess I just think you're giving too much credence to the removal of Ridley and K. Rool, because there are still several parts on that roster which make claiming it's among the most realistic very questionable. Perhaps that's because you're giving an inordinate amount of credence to the chances of Sceptile, Bandana Dee, only two DK characters... all of which seem definitely not outside the realm of possibility, but not particularly likely.

If it's all on the basis of comparison, I just don't see the unrealistic parts it has outweighing the unrealistic parts (as you see them) it doesn't have.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
If you mean the Ghirahim being a semi-clone of Sheik thing, I hadn't really thought much of it until now. But I can see what you mean, throwing diamonds instead of needles, he has similar proportions, and works off the same idea of agility over strict power. It is indeed a good idea.
Yeah, and he could carry a sword to accommodate for any moves it wouldn't make sense for him to perform.
Plus, the dash attack could be altered to have him hold the sword in his hands instead of doing the ninja sign with his hand, and would then resemble his dash attack from Skyward Sword.

The Vanish move could function literally the exact same way, just with a diamond effect. And instead of firing the diamonds consecutively, he could fire them in an arc.
It's truly a perfect fit, and I sort of want to see it.

The best part is, due to lacking a unique moveset, he doesn't need a whole trailer to focus on him. He could instead be featured as part of a more important character's trailer.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

By peer pressure popular demand, it is now 4x13.

Just my roster again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom