• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
You know what we haven't gotten? A Super Mario 64 stage. Wanna know what would be a perfect stage based on that game? The final Bowser battle arena. Yes, abyss and bombs and all.

The new Supah Maryo rep will be Topaz Gold Wario.
Weren't the Mario stage in the original Smash and the Rainbow Cruise and Peach's castle in Melee from Mario 64?

Last edited:

HugoBoss

Smash Journeyman
Whether TF is too recent to get much content is a valid point, but the argument of Sakurai favouring recency is most certainly not faulty.

You only need to look at the roster and the stages to see where the majority of the content is coming from.
It goes both ways. Fire Emblem and Pokemon get recent newcomers. Pac-Man and Mega-Man appear in their oldest designs. Rosalina is Mario character recently rising in popularity representing a 7 year old game. Little Mac has recently had a Wii reboot of the series, but is a very old character only known in the west. New Animal Crosing game but a much older Villager design is used. Ike and Marth got designs based on more recent games, but not the Awakening redesigns. Skyward Sword is represented as a stage, but the Zelda cast is still based on Twilight Princess etc.

The way I see it, Sakurai may "update" certain aspects of the franchise which he personally believes should or can be "updated". This has been the case since Melee. But I don't think it is necessarily a major factor in the roster choices or decisions.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
It goes both ways. Fire Emblem and Pokemon get recent newcomers. Pac-Man and Mega-Man appear in their oldest designs. Rosalina is Mario character recently rising in popularity representing a 7 year old game. New Animal Crosing game but a much older Villager design is used. Skyward Sword is represented as a stage, but the Zelda cast is still based on Twilight Princess etc.

The way I see it, Sakurai may "update" certain aspects of the franchise which he personally believes should or can be "updated". This has been the case since Melee. But I don't think it is necessarily a major factor in the roster choices or decisions.
I ignore Fire Emblem and Pokemon when people look to recency for speculation just because it is engineered to swap out or otherwise add a ton of new characters to the series every new game. This is why Greninja, Lucina, and Robin are viable in my eyes, and Ghirahim, Groose, Anthony, and Sylux are not.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
eShop Mascot
Bags his Chance!
  • Neutral: Present. Can be downloaded (charged up), stored, then fired upwards. Bursts on contact. Can also burst on the ground if initial shot fails to make contact. When stored at full download a ring of orange dots surround him.
  • Side: Virtual Console. Fires a Virtual Console container in front of him. It homes in on an opponents' position at the initial time of the move's execution, exploding with dust on contact. Hold down the button to download, then release to shoot. The more game downloads, the more powerful and faster the cartridge is.
  • Up: Load Complete. Ascends upwards while his body spins.
  • Down: Gel Block. Places a gel block below him. Can pick up and throw. Bursts on contact.
  • Final Smash: Download Now. A rail of gel blocks appear across the entire stage, filling up a rounded, square tube. Gel blocks and the contents of the square tube cause damage on contact. Once the tube is all filled up, it wraps itself into a present, then explodes. Explosion is double the radius of a Smart Bomb detonation.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Here is yet another prediction roster.

This roster contains

- Shulk
- King K Rool and Dixie Kong
- All veterans sans Ivysaur and Squirtle
- Shulk
- Krystal
- A Rhythm Heaven character
- Ridley
- A Zelda newcomer of my choosing.

You, sir, are everyone's new favorite user.

Last edited:

Weeman

Smash Crusader
This roster contains

- Shulk
- King K Rool and Dixie Kong
- All veterans sans Ivysaur and Squirtle
- Shulk
- Krystal
- A Rhythm Heaven character
- Ridley
- A Zelda newcomer of my choosing.

You, sir, are everyone's new favorite user.
Still lacks Hawlucha tho.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It goes both ways. Fire Emblem and Pokemon get recent newcomers. Pac-Man and Mega-Man appear in their oldest designs. Rosalina is Mario character recently rising in popularity representing a 7 year old game. Little Mac has recently had a Wii reboot of the series, but is a very old character only known in the west. New Animal Crosing game but a much older Villager design is used. Ike and Marth got designs based on more recent games, but not the Awakening redesigns. Skyward Sword is represented as a stage, but the Zelda cast is still based on Twilight Princess etc.

It might go both ways, but it's clear in which way it leans. And not counting third-parties, so far it leans unanimously in one direction as far as the newcomers go.

Rosalina might be from a seven-year-old game, but her largest impact happened post-Brawl. Not to mention she's only had a handful of titles with a notable appearance compared to other characters in the Mario series, and was less popular.

Little Mac might be an old character, but he probably wouldn't end up playable this time without the Wii title.

Villager still uses a design from a post-Brawl title, even if not the most recent. Same with Marth and Ike.

The Zelda aesthetics you're correct on, but the content still favours the new.

I don't see how one can attribute recency not having played a factor in the roster choices when there are literally no Nintendo characters so far that didn't have an impact since the last Smash, a first for the series.

Niala

Smash Ace
It might go both ways, but it's clear in which way it leans. And not counting third-parties, so far it leans unanimously in one direction as far as the newcomers go.

Rosalina might be from a seven-year-old game, but her largest impact happened post-Brawl. Not to mention she's only had a handful of titles with a notable appearance compared to other characters in the Mario series, and was less popular.

Little Mac might be an old character, but he probably wouldn't end up playable this time without the Wii title.

Villager still uses a design from a post-Brawl title, even if not the most recent. Same with Marth and Ike.

The Zelda aesthetics you're correct on, but the content still favours the new.

I don't see how one can attribute recency not having played a factor in the roster choices when there are literally no Nintendo characters so far that didn't have an impact since the last Smash, a first for the series.
Not that I disagree with you, in this case I do think there's a stronger lean towards recent characters over retro ones. However, I think you did answer your own question: it's a first for the series. While current evidence suggests the remaining newcomers won't be retro characters, the fact that it hasn't done this before might suggest that it still won't happen, and that the retro characters will begin showing their faces soon.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
Honestly, I have no problem with Alt costume characters as long as they are given their name and don't overcrowd my roster. For instance, Dark Pit as an alt for Pit is A Ok if the announcer refers to him as Dark Pit. They could do this for Mario and Dr. Mario, Toon Link and Young Link, Diddy and Dixie, and even Wolf if they want to hurt me.

Oh, and since we're on the topic of ridiculous characters that people have recently been asking for...

KEN GRIFFEY JR. STEPS UP TO THE PLATE!!
image.jpg

Last edited:

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
I'm guessing poor Slippy will be the next victim ..... as a trophy. It doesn't help the fact that his popularity's better in Japan than here and he's being overshadowed by Krystal.

That's true. I might seem crazy for suggesting him but you know who I want more than Slippy? This guy:

Since sizes aren't canon in smash bros it could work. Sakurai would blow my mind if he did this and added Ridley and K. Rool. Three new size classes, 3 major villains with a lot of broken move set potential. All 3 would be a bit bigger than DK with Andross being the largest by a little bit. His hands would be DK's size, and you can destroy his hands but will take a bit to regenerate back. His neutral can be Dedede's inhale and Wario's biting move. I'm still working on a move set for him but it's probably best if I post it in a different thread.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
That's true. I might seem crazy for suggesting him but you know who I want more than Slippy? This guy:

Since sizes aren't canon in smash bros it could work. Sakurai would blow my mind if he did this and added Ridley and K. Rool. Three new size classes, 3 major villains with a lot of broken move set potential. All 3 would be a bit bigger than DK with Andross being the largest by a little bit. His hands would be DK's size, and you can destroy his hands but will take a bit to regenerate back. His neutral can be Dedede's inhale and Wario's biting move. I'm still working on a move set for him but it's probably best if I post it in a different thread.
Andross, one of the few AT's that I wish never existed. Why Sakurai never really used his canonical primate design is beyond me. I'd rather have Rafiki from Star Fox Adventure instead of that overrated Pecola mask reject.

A playable Andross would have been something to happen if he had another role in more Star Fox games (Hopefully in Star Fox U since I'd rather not see crap like the Anglar and Aparoids).

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
eShop Mascot
Bags his Chance!
  • Neutral: Present. Can be downloaded (charged up), stored, then fired upwards. Bursts on contact. Can also burst on the ground if initial shot fails to make contact. When stored at full download a ring of orange dots surround him.
  • Side: Virtual Console. Fires a Virtual Console container in front of him. It homes in on an opponents' position at the initial time of the move's execution, exploding with dust on contact. Hold down the button to download, then release to shoot. The more game downloads, the more powerful and faster the cartridge is.
  • Up: Load Complete. Ascends upwards while his body spins.
  • Down: Gel Block. Places a gel block below him. Can pick up and throw. Bursts on contact.
  • Final Smash: Download Now. A rail of gel blocks appear across the entire stage, filling up a rounded, square tube. Gel blocks and the contents of the square tube cause damage on contact. Once the tube is all filled up, it wraps itself into a present, then explodes. Explosion is double the radius of a Smart Bomb detonation.
I like you.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
I concede a bit, as you present very valid points. Though, I do think that K. Rool has a small edge for one reason, however minor, and that's the Kremlings, simply because it'd be odd to just bring them back just because, and add them very faithfully from past DKC games at that, in my opinion. The only games with Kremlings and no K. Rool were Diddy Kong Racing (though K. Rool's implied to have sent Krunch, and he was to be in the sequel) and Strikers Charged, which is an oddity that not even I can explain. :p Maybe they needed a random goon to be a goalie? Either way, it just seems odd.

But I'll admit, I may have been giving Dixie less than she deserves.
Its a small edge id say, and i also dont think sakurai really thinks putting kremlings in there is big in anyway, thats mostly how fans view it. We have to remember they wont appear in the wiiu version so those that get only that version would never see them unless there is some cross platform trophy sharing. And theres also the possibility that they went through past assets from brawl and decided to use (animate and rig) the previous enemy trophies to fill in the gaps.

I dont know, i think many are hoping for a deluge of DK stuff to come rolling out because we havent seen much, but personally i think the stage is the best we could hope for right now and for all we know that could be the extent of it too.

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
Its a small edge id say, and i also dont think sakurai really thinks putting kremlings in there is big in anyway, thats mostly how fans view it. We have to remember they wont appear in the wiiu version so those that get only that version would never see them unless there is some cross platform trophy sharing. And theres also the possibility that they went through past assets from brawl and decided to use (animate and rig) the previous enemy trophies to fill in the gaps.

I dont know, i think many are hoping for a deluge of DK stuff to come rolling out because we havent seen much, but personally i think the stage is the best we could hope for right now and for all we know that could be the extent of it too.
Unfortunately, this is true. That said, almost zero dk info has arisen and that in and of itself is suspicious

Vickand

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vickand
I don't know what Bubbles does. What does she do??
Well she can create some kind of sound waves to paralyze enemies and turn around using poles, that could make an interesting and tricky to use character... I mean, Sakurai can make a great and unique move set for her

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Did someone say Bubbles?
Bubbles is my most wanted Retro newcomer, save Daitoryo and DHD.
She'd be very original.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Warning Received

I think I have found Sm4sh dropped aspects from Melee/Brawl that there are minor to major wants for.

Last edited:

epicgordan

Smash Ace
Did someone say Bubbles?
Bubbles is my most wanted Retro newcomer, save Daitoryo and DHD.
She'd be very original.
F*&KING BUBBLES!!!
says the Nostalgia Critic.

But in all seriousness, I do believe the odds of a retro newcomer joining the fight would be based on how well known, to put it lightly, they are. People were still quite fond of Kid Icarus which helped Pit's chances of getting into the roster for Brawl. And while Ice Climbers only got in because they were the runner-up consideration to Excitebiker to be a retro rep in Melee (and Sakurai couldn't find a way to make him jump in a believable fashion), they were not completely obscure from the gaming community at that point in time; anybody who was alive in the 80's at least had some awareness of them.

However, we could still very much see Excitebiker since that franchise has been dead since the N64 era, thus making them eligible for retro representation. They are relatively the same age to the Ice Climbers when they were introduced to their respective games for the very first time. But I think that if we do get any retro reps (and I mean in the strictest sense), then they would be hidden characters this time.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
So guys, what do you think of Bandana Waldo Dee's chances to be the 4th Kirby rep at this point in time?

Last edited:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
So guys, what do you think of Bandana Waldo Dee's chances to be the 4th Kirby rep at this point in time?
Bandanna Dee doesn't have a great shot, but he has a significant shot. Which is more than can be said for most characters at this point.
I for one would love to see him.

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I don't know what Bubbles does. What does she do??
The main mechanic of Clu Clu Land was that Bubbles would uncover a number of golden ingots to reveal an image. She would constantly move and could only turn at turning posts where she would reach out and grab with her hand. Her only method of attack was causing a sound wave to stun enemies, but to defeat them she had to push them into a wall.

Bubbles would probably have a heavy emphasis on mobility. Her attacks would probably focus more on her moving around as fast she can and using her turn posts to direct her around the stage while keeping her in a state where contact would cause damage and knockback. A skilled Bubbles would plant her turning posts in specific locations so she can not only move around the stage quickly, but ram into her opponents in a specific locations she has set up.

So, I'd think of her as a speedster & zoner of sorts. Her main special move would probably be her sound wave attack.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
The main mechanic of Clu Clu Land was that Bubbles would uncover a number of golden ingots to reveal an image. She would constantly move and could only turn at turning posts where she would reach out and grab with her hand. Her only method of attack was causing a sound wave to stun enemies, but to defeat them she had to push them into a wall.

Bubbles would probably have a heavy emphasis on mobility. Her attacks would probably focus more on her moving around as fast she can and using her turn posts to direct her around the stage while keeping her in a state where contact would cause damage and knockback. A skilled Bubbles would plant her turning posts in specific locations so she can not only move around the stage quickly, but ram into her opponents in a specific locations she has set up.

So, I'd think of her as a speedster & zoner of sorts. Her main special move would probably be her sound wave attack.
So, Bubbles's Special Moves would be:

Standard Special: Sound Wave
Down Special: Set Post
Side Special: Dash (Allows Bubbles to deal damage and turn on a post to flying in the opposite direction)
Up Special: ???

Last edited:

TheSoraKid

Banned via Warnings
Last edited:

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace

Side Special: Dash (Allows Bubbles to deal damage and turn on a post to flying in the opposite direction)
She would probably spawn a pole and swing on it to get extra height.

I always figured the ingots or uniras would figure into her moves somehow, but I guess uniras are still items...
However, we could still very much see Excitebiker since that franchise has been dead since the N64 era, thus making them eligible for retro representation.
Wasn't there a WiiWare Excitebike? World Rally or something?

AEMehr

Mii Fighter

More or less, yes.

I believe allowing Bubbles to utilize a trampoline of sort to jump in the air would be fitting, they are also hidden in some levels of Clu Clu Land.
But that may make the move too similar to Pac-Man's up special, which is essentially the exact same thing.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
More or less, yes.

I believe allowing Bubbles to utilize a trampoline of sort to jump in the air would be fitting, they are also hidden in some levels of Clu Clu Land.
But that may make the move too similar to Pac-Man's up special, which is essentially the exact same thing.
So all this talk about bubbles, what exactly would her final smash be?

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
says the Nostalgia Critic.

But in all seriousness, I do believe the odds of a retro newcomer joining the fight would be based on how well known, to put it lightly, they are. People were still quite fond of Kid Icarus which helped Pit's chances of getting into the roster for Brawl. And while Ice Climbers only got in because they were the runner-up consideration to Excitebiker to be a retro rep in Melee (and Sakurai couldn't find a way to make him jump in a believable fashion), they were not completely obscure from the gaming community at that point in time; anybody who was alive in the 80's at least had some awareness of them.

However, we could still very much see Excitebiker since that franchise has been dead since the N64 era, thus making them eligible for retro representation. They are relatively the same age to the Ice Climbers when they were introduced to their respective games for the very first time. But I think that if we do get any retro reps (and I mean in the strictest sense), then they would be hidden characters this time.
I'm getting old when someone calls N64 characters eligible for retro. But yeah, I forgot Excitebiker had a N64 game (I even own it). Since he was one of the NES best sellers, and I think his retro look could be a cool retro depending on how they do him.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
So all this talk about bubbles, what exactly would her final smash be?
Clu Clu Land of course!
Wizzerd of Make Your Move said:

Bubbles got the Smash Ball! She tries to laugh evilly, but her laugh is more of a squeak... In a pixelated fade-in, the arena from Clu Clu Land appears onstage. It looks the same as in the above picture, but with blastlines at the sides and top. Bubbles is free to move around as she pleases in the arena due to the poles placed all over. All other characters appear shrunken as to fit into the arena, being able to jump on the poles as platforms.

By touching an opponent, Bubbles deals 15% with average knockback. By pressing any attack button, she fires a sound wave like in her Side Special, this time traveling at the speed of Zero Suit Samus's dash with a maximum range of half the arena. The stun is also twice as hard to button mash out of, giving Bubbles plenty of time to push the enemy offscreen or deal 18% by pushing them against a wall. Three Unira sea urchins spawn over the course of the Final Smash. Should they come within the range of 1.5 Bowsers of one of Bubbles's opponents, they chase them down with a 8/10 dash, dealing 20% with OHKO knockback, though a competent foe won't get hit by this unless Bubbles stuns them first. As if this wasn't enough, there are hidden ingots throughout the arena forming the outline of a house, happy face, or something to that effect, healing Bubbles of 3% the first time she passes through each.

While it's far from difficult to finish off the opponent in Clu Clu Land, Bubbles has a highly limited time to play around with her opponents in it, only 10 seconds. This makes this a rather hectic Final Smash. There are lots of elements to take advantage of here, and Bubbles wants to exploit them as much as possible; go crazy! After the alloted ten seconds, the screen does a pixelated fade out and the fighters return to their normal sizes.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
He is unlikely, just like Wii Fit Trainer, Villager, Rosalina, Greninja, Robin and Lucina...Oh wait.
Last I heard from people, Bandana Dee was likely, Chrom was a shoo-in, Robin and Lucina were impossible, and the Gematsu Leak was absolute gospel.

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Last I heard from people, Bandana Dee was likely, Chrom was a shoo-in, Robin and Lucina were impossible, and the Gematsu Leak was absolute gospel.
Not really, only some Bandana Dee supporters think that he is likely, like the 80% of Smashboards think he is unlikely because "Kirby doesn't need another character".
They say Kirby will never have another character before Donkey Kong, an argument that is completely stupid because we have 3 Star Fox characters and 4 Fire Emblem characters.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Not really, only some Bandana Dee supporters think that he is likely, like the 80% of Smashboards think he is unlikely because "Kirby doesn't need another character".
They say Kirby will never have another character before Donkey Kong, an argument that is completely stupid because we have 3 Star Fox characters and 4 Fire Emblem characters.
Well, I definitely remember that certain people said all those things. As I'm sure you know, there are some people that are kind of obsessed with Bandana Dee and think of him as incredibly likely.

As for me, I suppose he could happen. But I think it's unlikely, and that we probably won't get him this time around.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Well, I definitely remember that certain people said all those things. As I'm sure you know, there are some people that are kind of obsessed with Bandana Dee and think of him as incredibly likely.

As for me, I suppose he could happen. But I think it's unlikely, and that we probably won't get him this time around.
Obsessed with Bandana Dee? Some people are really weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom