• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
I wouldn't mind multiple Sonic or Mega Man reps next time around.

Especially if they were, say, Shadow/Tails, or Proto Man.

In fact I think they'd be great DLC choices.
Well Shadow already is a AT, so he probably won't be. It's just, I wouldn't understand having guest characters being from the same franchise, the whole point of them being a guest is that they represent their franchise. It would feel crowded with someone like Tails, even though I like him way more than Sonic.

Doompatron3000

Smash Journeyman
If any of those bolded Franchises do get that many, I'm quitting Smash Bros. A guest franchise better NEVER get a 2nd character, and Splatoon has characters that could all be alts. Chibi-robo to my knowledge only has Chibi as a suitable character. Yoshi deserves up to 4 any way counting Baby Bros. and Birdo, even Kamek, especially if Wario gets that many.
If the Sonic and Mega Man franchises become part of Nintendo (Sega partnering with Nintendo to give Sonic exclusively to Nintendo only, and Nintendo buying Mega Man), I could easily see them both having more reps. Sonic would probably have at least 5,. I'm not too knowledgeable on the Mega Man franchise, but, given their history, it should have 3 or 4. (If it were to ever fall under Nintendo of course).

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
If the Sonic and Mega Man franchises become part of Nintendo (Sega partnering with Nintendo to give Sonic exclusively to Nintendo only, and Nintendo buying Mega Man), I could easily see them both having more reps. Sonic would probably have at least 5,. I'm not too knowledgeable on the Mega Man franchise, but, given their history, it should have 3 or 4. (If it were to ever fall under Nintendo of course).
Yes, but right now they are not. So, they don't deserve more than one. If they were owned by Nintendo, then I could see Zero for Megaman and Knuckles for Sonic.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Nintendo could go to town with the Sonic IP and very easily. Knuckles, Shadow, Amy Rose, Cream and Tails. All powerful characters who can work independently. There's even Sally Acorn if you wanted a gadget character with an old school flair. That said, I would still rather see a third party from another game before a second Sonic character.

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
The thought of Sonic and MegaMan having more that one rep disgusts me. This is a Nintendo All Stars game, we don't need third parties diluting a celebration of Nintendo owned intellectual property.

epicgordan

Smash Ace
Mega Man's a big if, and assuming that Nintendo actually does buy out Capcom and make them first party. Sonic, on the other hand, is a much different matter. Sega's partnership with Nintendo will end with Sonic Boom, and since we all know that Sony is going to work on a Sonic movie, it is possible that Sega may wind up switching over to the Sony platform as part of yet another partnership. We can only hope that latter part isn't the case and Sonic simply remains third party.

Or better yet, the Sony project falls through altogether because I know the people trying to have it realize, and as far as I can tell, nothing good could possibly come from it.

BADGRAPHICS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2406-5113-4228
Sonic would probably have at least 5
Sonic could have at most 5. There really aren't that many good Sonic characters.

Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Robotnik... That's pretty much your core cast. Any characters invented from Dreamcast era onward pretty much suck.

Especially Shadow... ugh, don't even get me started on that one.
"I am the ultimate life form" blah blah boring shut up.

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
Them suddenly getting all those reps in one game would be a bit excessive, don't you think?

Doompatron3000

Smash Journeyman
Sonic could have at most 5. There really aren't that many good Sonic characters.

Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Robotnik... That's pretty much your core cast. Any characters invented from Dreamcast era onward pretty much suck.

Especially Shadow... ugh, don't even get me started on that one.
"I am the ultimate life form" blah blah boring shut up.
Sadly Shadow is the Assist Trophy, and not any other character from Sonic (At least we know of) has that, so I could see Shadow moving up to "full character" status.

Them suddenly getting all those reps in one game would be a bit excessive, don't you think?
I don't really think so, at least for Sonic franchise, due to the history with Nintendo. Besides, Sakurai exploded with reps back in Melee. (Mario went from two to five)

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I don't really think so, at least for Sonic franchise, due to the history with Nintendo. Besides, Sakurai exploded with reps back in Melee. (Mario went from two to five)
Yeah, Zelda went from 1 to 4, technically 5 due to Sheik. So in other words, the Zelda franchise received 4 new characters in one game. Zelda, Sheik, Ganondorf, and Young Link.

Which also helps my case that Mario could merit another newcomer this time. Is it unlikely? Perhaps so, but it's possible. I'm honestly hoping to see either Bowser Jr. or Paper Mario; obviously leading more towards the latter.

Morbi

Scavenger
Yeah, Zelda went from 1 to 4, technically 5 due to Sheik. So in other words, the Zelda franchise received 4 new characters in one game. Zelda, Sheik, Ganondorf, and Young Link.

Which also helps my case that Mario could merit another newcomer this time. Is it unlikely? Perhaps so, but it's possible. I'm honestly hoping to see either Bowser Jr. or Paper Mario; obviously leading more towards the latter.
I am expecting Dr. Mario above all else; he is the most logical costume for Mario, correct? However, Sakurai's assertions pertaining to costumes would allude to Dr. Mario's fate as an additional character. Or perhaps he is not in the game at all, but I feel as though he is a fairly likely and ideal choice.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I am expecting Dr. Mario above all else; he is the most logical costume for Mario, correct? However, Sakurai's assertions pertaining to costumes would allude to Dr. Mario's fate as an additional character. Or perhaps he is not in the game at all, but I feel as though he is a fairly likely and ideal choice.
Yeah, if Dr. Mario returns, I am now thinking he'd be a veteran character rather than a costume.

If you asked me this a couple of months ago, I would have told you the exact opposite. However, I still think he's somewhat unlikely.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
As far as alt costumes, I think Dark Pit will be an alternate costume of Pit rather than his own character. The fact that they didn't reveal him in Palutena's trailer and Sakurai's criteria for Alt costumes make me believe that (in case somebody was going to ask).

Dr. Mario on the other hand would probably be his own character. Based on how Sakurai has viewed him before, it wouldn't make much sense for Dr.Mario to use fire, or even F.L.U.D.D. There really isn't much of a way to combat F.L.U.D.D, unless of course you were to fill it with Pepto Bismol. :troll:

The alternate costumes so far as pretty cool. I can't wait to see more of them.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Mega Man's a big if, and assuming that Nintendo actually does buy out Capcom and make them first party. Sonic, on the other hand, is a much different matter. Sega's partnership with Nintendo will end with Sonic Boom, and since we all know that Sony is going to work on a Sonic movie, it is possible that Sega may wind up switching over to the Sony platform as part of yet another partnership. We can only hope that latter part isn't the case and Sonic simply remains third party.

Or better yet, the Sony project falls through altogether because I know the people trying to have it realize, and as far as I can tell, nothing good could possibly come from it.
Sony Computer Entertainment is separate from Sony Motion Pictures and they have nothing to do with each other.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
However, Sakurai's assertions pertaining to costumes would allude to Dr. Mario's fate as an additional character. O
I say quite the opposite.
Sakurai's statements clearly dictate that he was in fact working on alternate costumes who were different characters, an Doctor Mario is not even a separate Character by anything other than title (literal) alone.

It is my personal belief, continuing on, that Lucina was added simply to appease fans of Roy, while maintaining the roster with actual relevant AND recent IPs, as well as having another female on the roster. I believe it is only for these two reasons that Lucina was upgraded to playable status, and Dr Mario being added would only be for the IP, which a costume serves the purpose of just fine.

Doompatron3000

Smash Journeyman
Been working on this, I'd like to call it my

Super Ultra Hyper Smash Bros. Roster!!!!

Imagination Land Roster Roster (2).png

It consists of many characters I could see making it in a sort of "Dream" roster. I limited the third parties to a "One character per party" rule, with an exception for Bomberman, seeing as he didn't originate with Konami. I don't think Smash Bros. will ever have 93 characters, like this roster has in it. This was made purely for fun, just to figure out, who would make a "Ultimate Super Smash Bros" Roster. What would you put in roster such as this? Anything different?

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero

View attachment 19633
It consists of many characters I could see making it in a sort of "Dream" roster. I limited the third parties to a "One character per party" rule, with an exception for Bomberman, seeing as he didn't originate with Konami. I don't think Smash Bros. will ever have 93 characters, like this roster has in it. This was made purely for fun, just to figure out, who would make a "Ultimate Super Smash Bros" Roster. What would you put in roster such as this? Anything different?
I just think it's hilarious that you added 4 kirby reps (which is totally fine considering this is just your dream roster) but still limited Wario to one. Also +1million points for skull kid.

Weeman

Smash Crusader

View attachment 19633
Now that's a problem, you have twelve pokemanz reps but none of them is Hawlucha. Also Sylux before Rundas?! Blasphemy!!!

Last edited:

Doompatron3000

Smash Journeyman
I just think it's hilarious that you added 4 kirby reps (which is totally fine considering this is just your dream roster) but still limited Wario to one. Also +1million points for skull kid.
With the Kirby franchise, there really isn't a ton that scream "Smash Fighter". I don't play the Kirby games so I pretty much scanned the Kirby list on the roster maker, and really didn't find any. I thought about Galacta Knight, but, I also thought he looked too much like Meta Knight. As for Wario characters, I could do Ashley, Waluigi, Kat & Anna, I suppose.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
Now that's a problem, you have twelve pokemanz reps but none of them is Hawlucha.
It's his dream roster. Let him have the pokemon if that's what he wants. You don't know how much I want to complain that five new Zelda characters were added, and not one of them was Tetra. I'm doing my best though. Provided that this post doesn't count as a complaint... Not sure. :dizzy:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Well, if you show me yours, I'll show you mine

View attachment 19633

Weeman

Smash Crusader
It's his dream roster. Let him have the pokemon if that's what he wants. You don't know how much I want to complain that five new Zelda characters were added, and not one of them was Tetra. I'm doing my best though. Provided that this post doesn't count as a complaint... Not sure. :dizzy:
I wasn't being serious of course, just the fact that it's a dream roster cuts it from the boundries of criticism from me, i was just saying that if it was mine i would add Hawlucha on it :awesome:.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
I wasn't being serious of course, just the fact that it's a dream roster cuts it from the boundries of criticism from me, i was just saying that if it was mine i would add Hawlucha on it :awesome:.
I knew you weren't serious. I too tried to create my comment in a jokingly manner. Guess it didn't work out too well.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
With the Kirby franchise, there really isn't a ton that scream "Smash Fighter". I don't play the Kirby games so I pretty much scanned the Kirby list on the roster maker, and really didn't find any. I thought about Galacta Knight, but, I also thought he looked too much like Meta Knight. As for Wario characters, I could do Ashley, Waluigi, Kat & Anna, I suppose.
No worries dude, it's your roster, I wouldnt add any wario characters either, i just found it humorous is all

Doompatron3000

Smash Journeyman
Now that's a problem, you have twelve pokemanz reps but none of them is Hawlucha. Also Sylux before Rundas?! Blasphemy!!!
Lol believe me there's many pokemon I could put on here. Hawlucha, Blaziken, Pokemon Trainer, and many more. Like what was stated here earlier, Pokemon is such a huge franchise, with a unlimited amount of characters to choose from for Smash Bros. At some point, I had to cut them off :/

No not at all, although I do question what exactly Tetra can do. I know she was the one that gave use the grappling rope, but, in terms of combat, what did she do during Wind Waker, I can't quite remember.

Khoru

Smash Champion

View attachment 19633

Last edited:

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
Lol believe me there's many pokemon I could put on here. Hawlucha, Blaziken, Pokemon Trainer, and many more. Like what was stated here earlier, Pokemon is such a huge franchise, with a unlimited amount of characters to choose from for Smash Bros. At some point, I had to cut them off :/

No not at all, although I do question what exactly Tetra can do. I know she was the one that gave use the grappling rope, but, in terms of combat, what did she do during Wind Waker, I can't quite remember.
Well... :confused: I guess she latched onto the bad guy for a few seconds before getting thrown off and knocked out... :urg: Uhm, I'm sure that a neat pirate based move set could be created for her... :idea: Which would in fact bring something new to Smash. We don't have a character with a pirate move set yet...:colorful:

epicgordan

Smash Ace
Same with Fire Emblem, and I think Mother.
Fire Emblem and Mother are 1st Party franchises. However, Kirby is a 2nd party franchise as well as Pokémon (since HAL makes the Kirby games and it's a 2nd party developer). Kirby got in since Sakurai created the franchise, and Pokémon since it is only one of the biggest phenomenon's in gaming history.

Actually, for this very reason, I find 2nd party franchises that are not made by HAL or are extremely popular to be highly unlikely in general. This is why I am not a fervent supporter of Isaac since his chances were never that great to begin with being 2nd party and all.

But assuming that we have 12 more returning veterans (including Mewtwo), and a cast of 60 playable characters, who does everybody think is very likely to make it in and why? Me, personally, 8-Bit Mario, King K. Rool, Dixie Kong, Chorus Kids, Ghirahim, Ridley, Dark Pit, Takamaru, Bandana Dee, and Shulk are the only characters I can think of in which hints may have been planted for, but that's shy the two characters needed to fill the 60-characer roster. All of them have obvious (or likely, albeit straw-grasping) pieces of evidence for and/or against their possible inclusions that have been stated time and time again (although with Takamaru's game coming out internationally on VC for the first time ever at this point and time does help his chances quite a bit, methinks).

D

Deleted member

Tingle, Sami, Shulk, AND Isaac playable with Mach Rider available as a punching bag? This is the best roster ever. It's never gonna happen, but I could care less.

Fire Emblem and Mother are 1st Party franchises. However, Kirby is a 2nd party franchise as well as Pokémon (since HAL makes the Kirby games and it's a 2nd party developer). Kirby got in since Sakurai created the franchise, and Pokémon since it is only one of the biggest phenomenon's in gaming history.

Actually, for this very reason, I find 2nd party franchises that are not made by HAL or are extremely popular to be highly unlikely in general. This is why I am not a fervent supporter of Isaac since his chances were never that great to begin with being 2nd party and all.

But assuming that we have 12 more returning veterans (including Mewtwo), and a cast of 60 playable characters, who does everybody think is very likely to make it in and why? Me, personally, 8-Bit Mario, King K. Rool, Dixie Kong, Chorus Kids, Ghirahim, Ridley, Dark Pit, Takamaru, Bandana Dee, and Shulk are the only characters I can think of in which hints may have been planted for, but that's shy the two characters needed to fill the 60-characer roster. All of them have obvious (or likely, albeit straw-grasping) pieces of evidence for and/or against their possible inclusions that have been stated time and time again (although with Takamaru's game coming out internationally on VC for the first time ever at this point and time does help his chances quite a bit, methinks).
You say Shulk is likely, but considering your stance on 2nd party characters, isn't that a contradiction? There is no evidence in the game as of yet that suggests Shulk is playable, sadly.

EDIT: Read more in detail. Never mind. Objection overruled.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom