• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xenorange

Smash Lord
My entire stance on Sceptile is that he does complete the starter trinity and gives Hoenn its first rep as a fighter (as OR/AS has been in production for about as long as X/Y when you consider that Game Freak has a separate team for remakes than the original games) and that gives some reasoning for why he's worthy in comparison to some other Pokemon. As a fighter, he could be a Charizard-sized creature with good speed for his large size, an arsenal of zoning moves with that massive tail to really make him stand out in comparison to other fighters while keeping some fairly swift moves with claw swipes and Leaf Blade/Fury Cutter slashes with those wrist-blades. I'd love to see him playable, but he's basically the least likely of my big 4 Nintendo reps for the rest of the roster.
The only reason you consider him unlikely is because of his popularity correct?

Xenorange

Smash Lord
7 Pokemon reps in one Smash game? Ain't nobody got time for dat! :troll:
Pretty sure it's nintendo's highest grossing franchise atm correct? I could be wrong. That could be enough to warrant a high number of reps. Pokemon also has hundreds of characters. It would make sense for it to have the most reps IMO.

Morbi

Scavenger
Pretty sure it's nintendo's highest grossing franchise atm correct? I could be wrong. That could be enough to warrant a high number of reps. Pokemon also has hundreds of characters. It would make sense for it to have the most reps IMO.
I am fairly certain that he was joking as Smash intended to have seven Pokemon representatives in the last installment, five or six years ago.

Xenorange

Smash Lord
I hate when people use sales as an excuse to add characters to represent a franchise that is already represented well.
I'm sorry to hear that, however, whether you hate it or not, this factor most certainly contributes.

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
It's generally accepted that Pokémon can have seven characters(which I'm ok with). But Nintendo's main franchise, Mario, cannot go past five. :laugh:

And no, DK and Wario are not Mario characters. The only one that's debatable in my opinion is Yoshi. However, in Smash, Yoshi is considered his own.

Also, the argument implying that there aren't any other characters from the Mario franchise is bull crap. Bowser Jr., Captain Toad/Regular Toad, and Paper Mario are decently requested. Heck, even Waluigi, but I don't want to go there.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Sales are nice and whatever, but I'd be royally pissed if a character only got added because"OH HEY DIS SERIES SELLS WELL".

Sakurai cares a lot about series balance, and about unique gameplay. If a character's only merit is "but it sells", a LOT of people will cast it aside. I don't want to play as Money. I want to play as something unique.

Sales are a good indicator, but they aren't the biggest one, and certainly shouldn't put somebody else in line ahead of another worthy option.

While I can understand how sales might show who MIGHT get added, and that Smash is an All-Star game, it's still a video game; one that is known for all the characters and having unique ones at that.

It frustrates me to no end that people ONLY use sales to justify a choice. I don't doubt Sceptile would be fun, but nobody cares if a game sells well. I want to hear ideas of what characters could do in Smash.

/rant

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
So Ive noticed on the Wii U box art we are missing a few characters (compared to the 3DS box art)

I think by the time the Wii U version is released we will see a few DLC characters tacked onto the Wii U art.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Dont talk like a robot >:B

Basically last game on the series, to show how a franchise is evolving.

Developers care.
Their games sells well if their franchises are good represented on smash and characters are fun to use, so, who wins is ours the consumers...

Sells are awesome :p
I wasn't talking about developers. I was talking about people who play this game.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Sales are nice and whatever, but I'd be royally pissed if a character only got added because"OH HEY DIS SERIES SELLS WELL".

Sakurai cares a lot about series balance, and about unique gameplay. If a character's only merit is "but it sells", a LOT of people will cast it aside. I don't want to play as Money. I want to play as something unique.

Sales are a good indicator, but they aren't the biggest one, and certainly shouldn't put somebody else in line ahead of another worthy option.

While I can understand how sales might show who MIGHT get added, and that Smash is an All-Star game, it's still a video game; one that is known for all the characters and having unique ones at that.

It frustrates me to no end that people ONLY use sales to justify a choice. I don't doubt Sceptile would be fun, but nobody cares if a game sells well. I want to hear ideas of what characters could do in Smash.

/rant
Do you think a good substitute for the word "sales" would be popularity amongst fans? I mean, it's one thing if a game sells well, but if it's a game people really like and would want to see represented in Smash, I think a good case could be made for including a character from said game.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I feel sales is a good indicator as to what is popular amongst fans and what isn't honestly. Mario, Pokemon and Zelda characters are the most well recognised because funnily enough they have the best sales. Statistically speaking the average schmo is going to be more interested in a character they know than don't.

There are of course other factors as to what can garner interest such as certain characters from series having other attributes that can get even the most casual Nintendo fan interested in them; examples; Ridley's a big scary ass dragon; dragons are cool, Shulk has a badass huge sword; swords are cool, etc.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
I feel sales is a good indicator as to what is popular amongst fans and what isn't honestly. Mario, Pokemon and Zelda characters are the most well recognised because funnily enough they have the best sales. Statistically speaking the average schmo is going to be more interested in a character they know than don't.

There are of course other factors as to what can garner interest such as certain characters from series having other attributes that can get even the most casual Nintendo fan interested in them; examples; Ridley's a big scary *** dragon; dragons are cool, Shulk has a badass huge sword; swords are cool, etc.
Another one is that Waddle Dee wears a bandanna like a gang member; gangs are cool.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I hate when people use sales as an excuse to add characters to represent a franchise that is already represented well.
Me too, it is a shame when Sales dictate the system eh?

If that is not enough, here is a list of other things Pokemon has going for it:
-Easy translation into smash fighters
-Huge marketing capabilities (to draw in more fans, as well as by Game Freak, seen to get Smash fans into Pokemon)
-Vast Empire (Manga, TV, Movies, Trading Cards, Figures, Apps, Clothing, Merchandise beyond compare)
-800+ extremely diverse characters
-20 Years of history
-Worldwide Popularity
-Many types of characters it could represent beyond the basic Pokemon (trainers, rangers, breeders, coordinators, etc)
-Much in the main games to represent (abilities, items, weather and battlefield, double/triple/horde batles, typing, gender, contests, sports competitions, happiness, personality, trading, evolution-all different ways- etc)
-Multitude of types of games to choose from (Main RPG, Ranger, Mystery Dungeon, Snap, Pinball, Trozei, Puzzle League, Coliseum, ... the list is endless)

Sales are not the only factor. Popularity, Size, History, Impact, Relevance, Recency, Diversity, Adaptability, Growth.
Pokemon is unlike ANY other video game franchise, because it is far more than a video game franchise- it is studied on global economic trends as a phenomenon which is still not fully understood on a consumer trend and has not been replicated to this day.

How many reps does it deserve? Well, a good number. It is certainly on a scale to be evaluated separately from all other franchises as it is in a category all its own. A Pokemon added will appeal to a huge audience, regardless of which it is- an audience likely bigger than another given character added. I would not be surprised if it got more than six representatives, not surprised in the slightest, and it would be more than warranted, it would be earned.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

-Huge marketing capabilities (to draw in more fans, as well as by Game Freak, seen to get Smash fans into Pokemon)
-Vast Empire (Manga, TV, Movies, Trading Cards, Figures, Apps, Clothing, Merchandise beyond compare)
-20 Years of history
-Worldwide Popularity
-Many types of characters it could represent beyond the basic Pokemon (trainers, rangers, breeders, coordinators, etc)
-Much in the main games to represent (abilities, items, weather and battlefield, double/triple/horde batles, typing, gender, contests, sports competitions, happiness, personality, trading, evolution-all different ways- etc)
-Multitude of types of games to choose from (Main RPG, Ranger, Mystery Dungeon, Snap, Pinball, Trozei, Puzzle League, Coliseum, ... the list is endless)

Sales are not the only factor. Popularity, Size, History, Impact, Relevance, Recency, Diversity, Adaptability, Growth.
Pokemon is unlike ANY other video game franchise, because it is far more than a video game franchise- it is studied on global economic trends as a phenomenon which is still not fully understood on a consumer trend and has not been replicated to this day.

How many reps does it deserve? Well, a good number. It is certainly on a scale to be evaluated separately from all other franchises as it is in a category all its own. A Pokemon added will appeal to a huge audience, regardless of which it is- an audience likely bigger than another given character added. I would not be surprised if it got more than six representatives, not surprised in the slightest, and it would be more than warranted, it would be earned.
I feel like this is a good reasoning as to why Pokémon could warrant more playable characters than Mario. Yes, Mario is more popular and its video games sells better, but Pokémon is a different kind of phenomenon. On top of video games Pokémon also has a successful Anime, TCG and Manga running, it definitely sells more merchandise than almost anything else, while Mario is bigger than it in the video game world I feel as a whole Pokémon probably makes more money in the end. Now I don't think it's all about money of course, but it means Pokémon has a different kind of impact, it's practically everywhere.

On the Smash front there are also still a limited number of Mario characters that are exciting to include in this game, Game Freak always makes sure to front multiple Pokémon in merchandising at once and I dare say almost every Pokémon can translate well into a Smash fighter, excluding itsy bitsy ones like Weedle and Corphish, so no matter who the spotlight is shining on they can always make that into a Smash fighter. Heck, Pichu got in, I think that says a ton.

I pretty much just restated what you said, but it's a great post.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Well I just hope they won't take over 7 characters. This is supposed to be a celebration about Nintendo as a whole.
Right, Pokemon is really big. Thus why 1 more character won't bump up its popularity any higher.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I feel like this is a good reasoning as to why Pokémon could warrant more playable characters than Mario. Yes, Mario is more popular and its video games sells better, but Pokémon is a different kind of phenomenon. On top of video games Pokémon also has a successful Anime, TCG and Manga running, it definitely sells more merchandise than almost anything else, while Mario is bigger than it in the video game world I feel as a whole Pokémon probably makes more money in the end. Now I don't think it's all about money of course, but it means Pokémon has a different kind of impact, it's practically everywhere.

On the Smash front there are also still a limited number of Mario characters that are exciting to include in this game, Game Freak always makes sure to front multiple Pokémon in merchandising at once and I dare say almost every Pokémon can translate well into a Smash fighter, excluding itsy bitsy ones like Weedle and Corphish, so no matter who the spotlight is shining on they can always make that into a Smash fighter. Heck, Pichu got in, I think that says a ton.

I pretty much just restated what you said, but it's a great post.
Exactly; Mario is limited, as you stated. Not to mention, all of its characters have broken off to become separate things.
To be more clear, though, the Marioverse will always have more representatives, and I think that is why it is okay.
Mario, Yoshi, DK, Wario- they are all part of the Marioverse. I think arguing subfranchise or not gets tedious, because there are a plethora of different series' within Marios name, all given the mainstay IPs because Nintendo is accustomed to doing this for Marketing reasons.
Luigi's Mansion and Captain Toad should warrant those characters as separate characters to me, yet they will unlikely be seen as such. They are all in Mario's family, as is DK, as is Wario, as is Waluigi who is now it seems a Warioware character since it makes sense aethetically to Sakurai (and is prepping us for his inclusion in the next Smash game as a Wario character).

In short- Pokemon will not be overslotted to Mario, because Mario is so big it gets to be more than one franchise.

toobladooblasdfghtkdjdhfngj

Banned via Warnings
With Pokemon, the developers can get away with anything they feel like considering many Pokemon already fill some sort of niche that can translate into a fighting game. Fighting types are the most notable examples considering the majority of those Pokemon are already based on some sort of fighting style, however other kinds of Pokemon can also freely make the transition depending on what is suitable.

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
New theory on Dark Pit: He's a boss and an alt. How? No one said all the alts will be the same between versions. Dark Pit is a 3DS exclusive 'costume' while on the Wii U version he's a boss on Palutena's Temple.

mahnamahna

Smash Cadet

-20 Years of history
-Worldwide Popularity

Well thought out post!

I'd say this makes the most sense as far as franchise tier -
  1. Mario (not counting Yoshi, DK or Wario), Zelda and Pokemon - 10 reps max
  2. DK, Retros, Fire Emblem - 7 reps max (I could see retros and Fire Emblem moving to 8-10, but that would take a while)
  3. Kirby - 6 reps max (really aside from Bandana Dee and Knuckle Joe, I can't think of any other Kirby characters to add anyways so 6 is a good number)
  4. Sonic (if SSB ever gets past 75+ characters), Star Fox, Metroid - 5 reps max
  5. Kid Icarus, F-Zero, Animal Crossing, WarioWare (eventually - by SSB6 or SSB7) - 4 reps max
  6. Mother, Megaman, Pikmin, Xenoblade, PunchOut!, Wii - 3 reps max
  7. Golden Sun, Bayonetta, Chibi-Robo, Splatoon, Yoshi - 2 reps max (Splatoon just looks cool and Bayonetta appears to be a buddling franchise)
  8. Everything else - 1 rep until the franchise proves itself
10 3rd parties is probably the maximum I could ever see and that would be if the series ever gets past 100 characters.

I know it might be crazy to rank the franchises, but in terms of how many reps each franchise should/could have, that's probably about right at the moment. Anything could change over the next decade or so, though!

D

Deleted member

So Ive noticed on the Wii U box art we are missing a few characters (compared to the 3DS box art)

I think by the time the Wii U version is released we will see a few DLC characters tacked onto the Wii U art.
We're not "missing" anyone.
Both covers feature different characters.

3DS cover has Little Mac, Rosalina, Marth, and Yoshi.
Wii U cover has Peach, Wii Fit Trainer, and Donkey Kong.

Only thing that can be stretched to be considered "missing" is that the 3DS cover has 11 characters while the Wii U cover has 10.

mahnamahna

Smash Cadet
Well I just hope they won't take over 7 characters. This is supposed to be a celebration about Nintendo as a whole.
Right, Pokemon is really big. Thus why 1 more character won't bump up its popularity any higher.
Maybe later on (SSB5), I could see more than 7. Right now, 6 or 7 sounds perfect. Johto, Unova, Hoenn and Team Rocket are currently unrepresented so I could understand why more characters would be warranted aside from Greninja.

1. Pikachu
  2. Jigglypuff
  3. Charizard
  4. Mewtwo
  5. Togepi (Johto representation + baby Pokemon that isn't a clone of Pikachu)
  6. Sceptile
  7. Team Rocket (could have a hammy Wile Coyote fighting style - maybe nothing to do with actual Pokemon, just traps, explosives, etc)
  8. Lucario
  9. Genesect or Zoroark
  10. Greninja
That'd be an ideal, well-rounded representation of all 6 current generations.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Ideally, I would like to see Pokemon represented by;

• Pikachu
  • Lucario (secondary mascot)
  • Mewtwo (most powerful legendary, antagonist somewhat, original badass)
  • Pokemon Trainer (using summons and captures in pokeball, reflective of main player in most Pokemon games, and unique fighter in own accord). I would want his summons to include Squirtle, Charmander, and Bulbasaur, because I think the original trio deserve to all be represented.
  • Team Rocket (similar to how trickster Wile E. Coyote method describe, but all with faux-Pokemon type of things, and items actually used here, such silph scope, or otherwise specific items outside of the main game). Techniques would also involve Meowth being seen in some way, but not as a fighter.
  • Pokemon Ranger (who fights with all the Eeveelutions, thusly showcasing both a wide array of different Pokemon, evolution, and still being in canon to not have Eevee evolving for each attack; more importantly, showcases another very important type of Pokemon interact-or and main game)
  • Charizard
  • Sceptile
  • Greninja
Nine is a lot, absolutely. So for now, I would settle with Seven; but I am hopeful for Eight, and i'm hopeful Sakurai can beat me to being more creative and fulfilling.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
The only reason you consider him unlikely is because of his popularity correct?
No. I believe Sceptile is likely. There are basically 4 gates it would have to go through: Gamefreak highlights Sceptile to Sakurai, he likes the design and sees potential for the character as a unique fighter, Sceptile fits in the roster as a 6th/7th Pokémon rep alongside Jigglypuff (and possibly Mewtwo) ontop of those we know, Sceptile isn't cut during development. I believe 1 and 2 could easily happen with Ivysaur probably cut. 3 is arguable, ESPECIALLY if Mewtwo is returning. We are blind to the 4th gate if Sceptile was/is in the roster.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Well thought out post!

I'd say this makes the most sense as far as franchise tier -
  1. Mario (not counting Yoshi, DK or Wario), Zelda and Pokemon - 10 reps max
  2. DK, Retros, Fire Emblem - 7 reps max (I could see retros and Fire Emblem moving to 8-10, but that would take a while)
  3. Kirby - 6 reps max (really aside from Bandana Dee and Knuckle Joe, I can't think of any other Kirby characters to add anyways so 6 is a good number)
  4. Sonic (if SSB ever gets past 75+ characters), Star Fox, Metroid - 5 reps max
  5. Kid Icarus, F-Zero, Animal Crossing, WarioWare (eventually - by SSB6 or SSB7) - 4 reps max
  6. Mother, Megaman, Pikmin, Xenoblade, PunchOut!, Wii - 3 reps max
  7. Golden Sun, Bayonetta, Chibi-Robo, Splatoon, Yoshi - 2 reps max (Splatoon just looks cool and Bayonetta appears to be a buddling franchise)
  8. Everything else - 1 rep until the franchise proves itself
10 3rd parties is probably the maximum I could ever see and that would be if the series ever gets past 100 characters.

I know it might be crazy to rank the franchises, but in terms of how many reps each franchise should/could have, that's probably about right at the moment. Anything could change over the next decade or so, though!
If any of those bolded Franchises do get that many, I'm quitting Smash Bros. A guest franchise better NEVER get a 2nd character, and Splatoon has characters that could all be alts. Chibi-robo to my knowledge only has Chibi as a suitable character. Yoshi deserves up to 4 any way counting Baby Bros. and Birdo, even Kamek, especially if Wario gets that many.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
If any of those bolded Franchises do get that many, I'm quitting Smash Bros. A guest franchise better NEVER get a 2nd character, and Splatoon has characters that could all be alts. Chibi-robo to my knowledge only has Chibi as a suitable character. Yoshi deserves up to 4 any way counting Baby Bros. and Birdo, even Kamek, especially if Wario gets that many.
In theory, Chibi-Robo has Drake Redcrest for a potential second character. Not like that'll happen any time soon though. :p

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario
I wouldn't mind multiple Sonic or Mega Man reps next time around.

Especially if they were, say, Shadow/Tails, or Proto Man.

In fact I think they'd be great DLC choices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom