• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloop

Smash Journeyman
What confuses me is the "Everyone expects Shulk now, so it proves nothing" logic.
I've always been a Shulk supporter but, and correct me if I'm wrong, he wasn't even close to being on most prediction rosters before Gematsu, and definitely not at the level he is now.
He became a prediction staple after the fact, which shouldn't take credibility away if he really is in. Though it also wouldn't be proof, it would be one more notch in Gematsu's "I was right" belt. I feel like that's been the case with a few of the Gematsu characters, they became "they're obviously getting in so they don't count" a year after they were initially leaked, when they were actually detractors people used to "proof fake" the leak in the beginning...

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
What confuses me is the "Everyone expects Shulk now, so it proves nothing" logic.
I've always been a Shulk supporter but, and correct me if I'm wrong, he wasn't even close to on most prediction rosters before Gematsu, and definitely not at the level he is now.
He became a prediction staple after the fact, which shouldn't take credibility away. I feel like that's been the case with a few of the Gematsu characters, they became "they're obviously getting in so they don't count" a year after they were initially leaked, when they were actually detractors people used to "proof fake" the leak in the beginning...
No, Shulk was always pretty requested and popular before the Gematsu leak. He certainly gained notoriety when Gematsu happened, but Shulk was always consistently on many rosters.

Niala

Smash Ace
It seemed to be full of it when it said Shulk would be revealed on Monday.
This is the one thing that somewhat sets me off about the whole leak. I think you can justify other mistakes as outdated information, but in that moment, less than a 12 hours before the reveal, he did seem entirely too certain about his projection for it to be wrong. How can you validate that?

Last edited:

Bloop

Smash Journeyman
This is the one thing that somewhat sets me off about the whole leak. I think you can justify other mistakes as outdated information, but in that moment, less than a 12 hours before the reveal, he did seem entirely too certain about his projection for it to be wrong. How can you validate that?
To me, that message came across as him being full of himself, coming to the same conclusion as everyone else and deciding to grab a few more minutes of fame, since he didn't have any more information.
I don't think that invalidates anything else he said, definitely not as much as Chrom, which proves at least everything he said isn't fact.

@ TumblrFamous TumblrFamous
Fair enough. Definitely not to the extent he is now where he is considered a near lock for really no reason, can we agree on that?

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
This is the one thing that somewhat sets me off about the whole leak. I think you can justify other mistakes as outdated information, but that whole moment, less than a 12 hours before the reveal, he did seem entirely too certain about his projection for it to be wrong. How can you validate that?
Well, the way I see it, there are two possibilities. One assumes that the leak has outdated information, and the leaker knew of the plans to reveal Shulk in July some time prior to the event being announced, but the plans changed some time after he got the information. Of course, that scenario begs the question of why didn't he mention that there would be a random newcomer reveal in the middle of July. Would have been nice to know.

The other possibility is that he heard about the reveal and guessed that it would be Shulk (like 99.99% of the speculating community did). This seems to be the more likely scenario. Of course, if the leaker is actually guessing details, then he loses a lot of credibility. For all we know, he just guessed Chrom as well, and who knows what else.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
The other possibility is that he heard about the reveal and guessed that it would be Shulk (like 99.99% of the speculating community did). This seems to be the more likely scenario. Of course, if the leaker is actually guessing details, then he loses a lot of credibility. For all we know, he just guessed Chrom as well, and who knows what else.
If the leaker was guessing, then it makes sense that he might've heard "Fire Emblem: Awakening's main character" and assumed "Chrom". It's also possible that he was given a description of Marshal and found the Chorus Kids when he tried to find out what character it was and assumed it was them. Definitely food for thought.

Last edited:

Niala

Smash Ace
Well, the way I see it, there are two possibilities. One assumes that the leak has outdated information, and the leaker knew of the plans to reveal Shulk in July some time prior to the event being announced, but the plans changed some time after he got the information. Of course, that scenario begs the question of why didn't he mention that there would be a random newcomer reveal in the middle of July. Would have been nice to know.

My initial impression was the second idea you presented. It seems very likely that he guessed the most logical outcome, especially considering all the evidence that was pointing to it at the time. I doubt he actually had any information about the reveal. It was just an easy way to add credibility to the leak.

Clearly, it didn't pan out as intended.

To me, that message came across as him being full of himself, coming to the same conclusion as everyone else and deciding to grab a few more minutes of fame, since he didn't have any more information.
I don't think that invalidates anything else he said, definitely not as much as Chrom, which proves at least everything he said isn't fact.
That's perchance a fair assessment, although I'll say that I don't necessarily agree with assuming so much of his character. Not to chastise, but motives are impossible to decipher when we have so little information to go on, and I know I wouldn't want people assuming the worst of me.

I will, however, agree with the latter portion of your assessment.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
If the leaker was guessing, then it makes sense that he might've heard "Fire Emblem: Awakening's main character" and assumed "Chrom". It's also possible that he was given a description of Marshal and found the Chorus Kids when he tried to find out what character it was and assumed it was them. Definitely food for thought.
One problem: A description of Marshal wouldn't really apply to Chorus Kids. Unless the leaker said they were the " white thing from Rhythm Heaven", which I doubt it would be considering how vague that is.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
One problem: A description of Marshal wouldn't really apply to Chorus Kids. Unless the leaker said they were the " white thing from Rhythm Heaven", which I doubt it would be considering how vague that is.
Aren't there lots of "white things from Rhythm Heaven?" I'm not familiar with the series, but a number of the characters I've seen have a basic black-and-white color scheme.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
"A little black and white person from rhythm heaven that has black dots for eyes and a funky mouth is in."

Is it that much of a stretch?

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
"A little black and white person from rhythm heaven that has black dots for eyes and a funky mouth is in."

Is it that much of a stretch?
Yes, because they would have noticed the bowtie.

I know, the character in question is Marsahl, but the leaker doesn't know that.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
My initial impression was the second idea you presented. It seems very likely that he guessed the most logical outcome, especially considering all the evidence that was pointing to it at the time. I doubt he actually had any information about the reveal. It was just an easy way to add credibility to the leak.

Clearly, it didn't pan out as intended.

That's perchance a fair assessment, although I'll say that I don't necessarily agree with assuming so much of his character. Not to chastise, but motives are impossible to decipher when we have so little information to go on, and I know I wouldn't want people assuming the worst of me.

I will, however, agree with the latter portion of your assessment.
The most logical outcome was always a Fire Emblem representative (or a veteran series... which Fire Emblem was the only plausible series in terms of a Gematsu character). I explained why in detail in this very thread (and the "reveal thread" and on my profile) not even an hour before the reveal... just saying.

It is good to be in the .01%! :awesome:

Last edited:

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
I feel like people forget that the "leaker" could have gotten his info on characters just before the past two E3's.
Well, regardless, I've done some more research on Marshal and the Chorus Kids, and I have to say, I would much rather have the latter.

At least they do something.
I wouldn't rule out Marshall's moveset being an amalgamation of things characters in Rhythm Heaven do, which includes singing/wailing like the Chorus Men.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Chorus Kids can lend themselves to rhythm and represent the series far better than Marshal.

A music based trio > A single white thing for Rhythm Heaven representation.

Morbi

Scavenger
Chorus Kids can lend themselves to rhythm and represent the series far better than Marshal.

A music based trio > A single white thing for Rhythm Heaven representation.
Donkey Kong is the only rhythm based character that Smash needs!

But seriously, I feel as though Marshal could hold the rhythm just as effectively as the Chorus Kids could. Instead of each "kid" using an attack, Marshal would just use three successive attacks. Or at least that is how I envision it.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
Here's a question: If the Chorus Men are in, do you think they're going to be a triple character (like the Ice Climbers are a double character), or a single fighter with three overlapping models that move as one? I'm presuming the latter but I'm guessing that if they were having troubles with the Ice Climbers they would have more troubles with the Chorus Men if it were the former.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Here's a question: If the Chorus Men are in, do you think they're going to be a triple character (like the Ice Climbers are a double character), or a single fighter with three overlapping models that move as one? I'm presuming the latter but I'm guessing that if they were having troubles with the Ice Climbers they would have more troubles with the Chorus Men.
The latter, definitely. It just makes more sense from a technical standpoint.

Morbi

Scavenger
Marshall and the chorus kids, the whole rhythm gang. Calling it now.
The Rhythm Gang?! I suppose those characters are more hardcore than I originally anticipated... they started a musical gang? Like the Jets and the Sharks?! "Smash Side Story"?
Here's a question: If the Chorus Men are in, do you think they're going to be a triple character (like the Ice Climbers are a double character), or a single fighter with three overlapping models that move as one? I'm presuming the latter but I'm guessing that if they were having troubles with the Ice Climbers they would have more troubles with the Chorus Men if it were the former.
I agree with the latter, if Ice Climbers pose an issue with only two characters loaded, I can only imagine the potential strain with the additional four characters.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
I could see the Chorus Men being a better fit as an Assist. Set themselves up behind a character and "WWAAAAAAUUUGH!" It'd be adorable and deadly.

Even though Marshall isn't as iconic as the Chorus Men (heck he only appeared in the third installment of the series) he would make a great conglomorate character.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I could see the Chorus Men being a better fit as an Assist. Set themselves up behind a character and "WWAAAAAAUUUGH!" It'd be adorable and deadly.

Even though Marshall isn't as iconic as the Chorus Men (heck he only appeared in the third installment of the series) he would make a great almagamation character.
*raises flame shield*
*drops flame shield* "**** it, I am Khaleesi."

(Fun fact: I did not even capitalize the "f" as it was going to be censored anyways).

I thought that same exact thing about R.O.B; however, as he saved the video-game industry, it just was not enough to have him as an assist trophy and stage element. Nope... he HAD to be playable.

Now, Rhythm Heaven might not have saved gaming as we know it, but it revolutionized musical games... or something to that effect. Therefore, it is not enough to have them in a role that is logical (assist trophy). We MUST have a playable representative... because of arbitrary reasons...

Last edited:

Niala

Smash Ace
The most logical outcome was always a Fire Emblem representative (or a veteran series... which Fire Emblem was the only plausible series in terms of a Gematsu character). I explained why in detail in this very thread (and the "reveal thread" and on my profile) not even an hour before the reveal... just saying.
I must have missed that post, I don't recall seeing it. Regardless, allow me to rephrase: It seems very likely that he guessed the most widely anticipated potential outcome that had rational evidence suggesting it's likelihood.

(Boy, I really need to watch my tongue more closely when MA's around.)

I highly doubt they would include the Chorus men as a trio similar to Ice Climbers duo. It's a bit too much to take in. I personally suspect it would act something like a fading/blurring mechanic you sometimes see in games during quick movement. The best example I can think of is Paper Mario, when you input a Power Jump command and little fades of Mario walk up behind him.

Example found here~

I think they'll function as one entity, just move slightly off from each other.

Last edited:

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
I must have missed that post, I don't recall seeing it. Regardless, allow me to rephrase: It seems very likely that he guessed the most widely anticipated potential outcome that had rational evidence suggesting it's likelihood.

(Boy, I really need to watch my tongue more closely when MA's around.)

I highly doubt they would include the Chorus men as a trio similar to Ice Climbers duo. It's a bit too much to take in. I personally suspect it would act something like a fading/blurring mechanic you sometimes see in games during quick movement. The best example I can think of is Paper Mario, when you input a Power Jump command and little fades of Mario walk up behind him.

Example found here~

I think they'll function as one entity, just move slightly off from each other.
Idk. That's kinda weird, but ok. That's not really a characteristic of them to overlap each other and have blurring movement. Then again, it wasn't really characteristic of Popo and Nana moving together as a team, but I don't know if or how either pertains to each other.

Also why the strikethroughs?

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
If the leaker truly mixed up Marshal and the Chorus Kids, then I'm expecting them to be an Assist Trophy.

Think about the ways the source could have learned about the characters:

- reveal trailer
- gameplay footage
- website leak
- game files
- developer's character planning list
- screenshots

In all but the last of those options, the leaker would know who the character is because their name would appear at some point. The trailer obviously has the tagline, the footage would display their name next to their stock icons, and the game files and developer planning list obviously would list their name.

And seeing a indescript screenshot of a character wouldn't be conclusive evidence they are playable, especially if they are the only characters in the picture, considering that's also how they show off AT's.

Last edited:

Niala

Smash Ace
Idk. That's kinda weird, but ok. That's not really a characteristic of them to overlap each other and have blurring movement. Then again, it wasn't really characteristic of Popo and Nana moving together as a team, but I don't know if or how either pertains to each other.

Also why the strikethroughs?
I just think it would be an interesting mechanic, honestly. I don't really have any evidence to support it. That being said, many characters act with such dissimilarity in Smash, compared to their own host games, as to make them estranged from the characters as we see them. It's just another way to bring out their unique attributes. I don't think it's impossible, but I do suppose I have attached myself to the idea quite fondly, so perhaps it's my bias speaking.

Forgot to close the tag, but I fixed it!

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
I don't watch Ben 10, who are those guys and what do they do that the Chorus Men could potentially also be and do?

Last edited:

Niala

Smash Ace
If the leaker truly mixed up Marshal and the Chorus Kids, then I'm expecting them to be an Assist Trophy.

Think about the ways the source could have learned about the characters:

- reveal trailer
- gameplay footage
- website leak
- game files
- developer's character planning list
- screenshots

In all but the last of those options, the leaker would know who the character is because their name would appear at some point. The trailer obviously has the tagline, the footage would display their name next to their stock icons, and the game files and developer planning list obviously would list their name.

And seeing a indescript screenshot of a character wouldn't be conclusive evidence they are playable, especially if they are the only characters in the picture, considering that's also how they show off AT's.
It could also be word of mouth. There's no telling if the leaker has direct information like that, he could have just heard about who the new characters were from somebody in the office and decided to post them online. Although that does seem terribly unlikely, admittedly.

Why does that warrant a flame shield?

Everyone and their brother wants Mewtwo in the game.
At risk of sounding like a broken record, given this has been said twice in the past couple hours, "Not everyone."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom