• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SureNsync

Smash Journeyman
Ah, I see you're only talking about clones. But really... does the difference matter? There have been clones that incrementally got more Luigi-fied, but then again there have been original characters who have had their moves changed as well. As of yet there's been no character who has experienced a full revamp, and just because Ganondorf hasn't been shown yet and has been cloney twice before doesn't mean he's necessarily going to get one. Do you think Falco is also going to get drastically changed? Because I don't.
I was still on the Ganondorf move set revamp subject. I was just saying that Ness never needed a revamp move set. I thought you would have got the reference to Ganondorf. It doesn't matter as much if Luigi and Falco really are clones since they are supposedly just sidekicks. Ganondorf is a villain so it matters more to a highly major villain of a highly major Nintendo franchise.

That's all I want to say.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
He diesnt need to use a sword or magic, he just needs to have a unique moveset. Its a disgrace. Stuff like Lucina and Toon link make sense. Ganondorf does not.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
He diesnt need to use a sword or magic, he just needs to have a unique moveset. Its a disgrace. Stuff like Lucina and Toon link make sense. Ganondorf does not.
Well, if he doesn't use a sword or magic, then he doesn't use anything that he does in his own games. Its kinda pointless giving him his own moveset if it doesn't reflect Ganondorf's actual fighting style. Unless you mean his Trident, which he's never used in his human form but it could work.

the smash nerd

Smash Ace
NNID
Nick.s3dsWiFi2
3DS FC
0344-9996-3724
Well, if he doesn't use a sword or magic, then he doesn't use anything that he does in his own games. Its kinda pointless giving him his own moveset if it doesn't reflect Ganondorf's actual fighting style. Unless you mean his Trident, which he's never used in his human form but it could work.
He uses magic In OOT and 2 swords in WW and WWHD

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
He uses magic In OOT and 2 swords in WW and WWHD
Yes. What's your point? I'm well aware he uses magic in OOT and 2 swords in WW. Actually, 2 swords would be my preferred Ganondorf fighting style, because it'd be something no one else does.

My point is, what reason is there to declone Ganondorf if he doesn't actually reflect his fighting style from his various boss battles? Its pointless. Decloning Ganondorf, but not giving him a sword or magic to fight with is completely pointless. My preference would be Ganondorf to be a cross of OOT and either WW or LTTP. I'd prefer a cross of OOT and WW, though, with OOT Ganon as his Final Smash. Giving Ganondorf his WW twin swords would work well with OOT Ganon, since he'd still be dual wielding during the Final Smash as well.

Either way, Ganondorf should still be a slow heavyweight.

Morbi

Scavenger
I was still on the Ganondorf move set revamp subject. I was just saying that Ness never needed a revamp move set. I thought you would have got the reference to Ganondorf. It doesn't matter as much if Luigi and Falco really are clones since they are supposedly just sidekicks. Ganondorf is a villain so it matters more to a highly major villain of a highly major Nintendo franchise.

Lucina confirmed as a side-kick! Lucina is one of the main protagonists of Fire Emblem Awakening, yet she is a clone. The characters role in their game should not influence whether or not they are a clone. It is not relevant in the slightest...as evidenced by Ganondorf if I recall correctly. :troll:

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Ganondorf's portrayal in Smash = Sakurai's laziness in living form. :troll:

But yeah, having him as a Falcon clone just because of sharing the same body type was always something that really made me question Sakurai's role as a gaming director.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

But yeah, having him as a Falcon clone just because of sharing the same body type was always something that really made me question Sakurai's role as a gaming director.
Ganondorf wouldn't have been in Melee if it wasn't because he shared Falcon's body type, simple as that, it was either the 5 clones or Dedede, a unique Ganondorf was never a possibility at the time. He would probably have been in Brawl as a unique character then though, but at the time of Melee adding Ganondorf as a clone was better than not adding Ganondorf.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Ganondorf wouldn't have been in Melee if it wasn't because he shared Falcon's body type, simple as that, it was either the 5 clones or Dedede, a unique Ganondorf was never a possibility at the time. He would probably have been in Brawl as a unique character then though, but at the time of Melee adding Ganondorf as a clone was better than not adding Ganondorf.
Personally, I'd have rather Ganondorf waited until Brawl so he could get an original moveset. If he is now forever stuck in a clone moveset, it simply was NOT worth making Ganondorf a lazy clone in the first place. The other clones? Perfectly fine, but not for Ganondorf.

Justin Little

Smash Ace

Slippy Toad is a sidekick. Falco is his own thing. 'Side character' is more appropriate.

epicgordan

Smash Ace
I wonder why people don't just consider giving Ganondorf a completely new set of moves through customizable movesets. That way, we can have the Ganondorf that uses his sword and a Ganondorf that uses Black Magic in addition to the Ganondorf his fans have admired greatly since Melee.

Of course, they definitely need some serious tweaking. Yes, a slow, heavyweight fighter with raw power is a unique mechanic for Ganondorf, but the fact that almost all of his moves were completely worthless in Brawl means he does need a complete overhaul for the sake of his long-time fans if he is to be useful in the competitive scene anytime soon. And even moreso than Ike, Ganondorf should be designed to wait for the opportune moment, expose an opening, and kill far more easily when an attack connects than anybody in the game. The fact that Ike's attacks were even stronger than Ganondorf's in Brawl is just plain shameful.

He should have the defensive prowess of a rock, and the offensive strength of a wrecking ball, with some nonflinching options.

Bingoshi

Smash Apprentice
Just saying she is an different character for her differences doesn't make for an argument.
She was in the game as Marth's alt already, lacking any differences.
He went out of his way to add some minor differences just to make her a different character.

This smells of time constraints.

The reason I say time constraints is because of the unexpected events of his calcific tendonitis.

Start of 2013 it appeared in his right shoulder and he also go elbow pains: http://www.polygon.com/2013/2/27/40...is-bum-right-arm-is-hindering-work-on-the-new

starts of this year it happened to his left arm: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/sm...-sounds-like-it-s-getting-worse/1100-6417712/

His condition has worsened while it was implied by him that it would hinder his work. I believe it has, as he's not a robot and life isn't a game. He can't just take a maxim tomato and carry on. He is suffering from a chronic illness that is hampering the development of this game.

I think we may very well see more clones in the spirit of Lucina: last minute shoeins to make the roster reach a nice round number.
I'm sorry but...what? I understand what you're saying, but that's not what I was getting at. Even if he went out of his way to give her differences (in the effects of her moves and the lack of the tip of the blade stuff), what does that really mean to us now? She used to be an alt, but not anymore. I was under the impression people were upset thinking she had NO differences whatsoever. I went out of my way to point out a line Sakurai said that shows even if her moves are the same, the effects differ from Marth. That shows that she is at least somewhat less of a straight up clone like people are saying. Going by Sakurai's comments, Lucina is a bonus character rather than a product of time constraints. Also, he said Lucina was lucky to become her own character, meaning others like her will probably just be alts. I don't believe your "time constraints" theory.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I don't think Ganondorf will get a revamp. I do think, however, he will be completely decloned this time.

It's funny, if you think about it, Ganondorf's move set is more faithful to him than it is to Captain Falcon.

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
I'm fine with anything for Ganondorf so long as it isn't the Execution Sword (his TP one). Dual blades, trident, magic, Falcondorf, anything except that sword. In comparison, it's uninteresting.

KageJuin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1349-7001-8814
Ganondorf should take inspiration from his OoT moves.

Keep his pig form out of it, so it can become its own character muahahhaha.

Morbi

Scavenger
I'm fine with anything for Ganondorf so long as it isn't the Execution Sword (his TP one). Dual blades, trident, magic, Falcondorf, anything except that sword. In comparison, it's uninteresting.
I agree with this sentiment wholeheartedly. I am not entirely fond of the trident as that is predominantly associated with his pig variation, Ganon. However, it would certainly be better than his Sacred Blade. I prefer the dual-wielded blades as it is more pertinent to his Gerudo origins and he is quite clearly using them in Wind Waker. I do interpret Ganondorf as more of a warlock though, so black magic would certainly be fine. Or Falcondorf, there are no problems with Falcondorf.

I don't think Ganondorf will get a revamp. I do think, however, he will be completely decloned this time.

It's funny, if you think about it, Ganondorf's move set is more faithful to him than it is to Captain Falcon.
I expect that this is the most likely scenario as well, I would not assert that he will be completely and utterly decloned, but another 3-6 different moves and he will be unique enough to be considered his own character.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
If anything, I'd love it if Sakurai used aesthetic assets from OoT, TP, and WW for Ganondorf. Something like what he did for Link, who mainly has a TP design, with OoT and SS details thrown in.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
People hates captaindorf for no reason at all.
He just just needs a new "ping pong" neutral B and he'll be my favorite main of all times <3 :ganondorf:

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
I think I'll finish off my predicted rosters with this

More clones possible. Dr. Mario and Dark Pit among them (though I think Dark Pit is an alt or a stage boss, it could have a sliver chance of happening)

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
If anything, I'd love it if Sakurai used aesthetic assets from OoT, TP, and WW for Ganondorf. Something like what he did for Link, who mainly has a TP design, with OoT and SS details thrown in.
Ganondorf will probably be more like Zelda, where it's just his Brawl design with more saturated colors.
Really, I'm interested in seeing his facial structure. All of the humanoid Brawl veterans revealed so far have had a noticeable face change, so I want to see if his features are more defined this time.

KageJuin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1349-7001-8814
Ganondorf will probably be more like Zelda, where it's just his Brawl design with more saturated colors.
Really, I'm interested in seeing his facial structure. All of the humanoid Brawl veterans revealed so far have had a noticeable face change, so I want to see if his features are more defined this time.
That would be a shame, as Ganondorf in most player's minds would always have his OoT/Melee face and body.
I miss the intimidatingly muscular Ganondorf with that assured smirk on his face.
He knows he can bring the pain. And he is just playing with you.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
I wanna see a Twilight Princess Ganondorf but with longer hair, in other words identical to this concept art:

Maybe keep some of his Twilight Princess clothes but keep that hair on his head, neck, and arms.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
That would be a shame, as Ganondorf in most player's minds would always have his OoT/Melee face and body.
I miss the intimidatingly muscular Ganondorf with that assured smirk on his face.
He knows he can bring the pain. And he is just playing with you.
That's what I meant. His features would be more defined.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I wanna see a Twilight Princess Ganondorf but with longer hair, in other words identical to this concept art:

Maybe keep some of his Twilight Princess clothes but keep that hair on his head, neck, and arms.
That chest plate... :grin:

9000/10

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
I think I'll finish off my predicted rosters with this

More clones possible. Dr. Mario and Dark Pit among them (though I think Dark Pit is an alt or a stage boss, it could have a sliver chance of happening)
You stole my zelda character idea!

Pretty solid. Series get good representation while still choosing popular characters. Can't say I'm a fan of duck hunt dog, though.

Also, what do the pink borders mean?

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
He has no details from OOT or SS in his design, he is TP in every facet except with primary colors.

---
I honestly dont have faith in a revamped ganondorf, to me it seems likes its just gonna be another case of tradition for traditions sake when it comes to ganondorf. Bowser got a nice overhaul, so theres no excuse, but i cant shake the feeling that ganondorf will end up with the toon link treatment, as in none at all.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Is this a prediction roster or a wish roster? You think Duck Hunt Dog is happening?
I don't think ;) you'll see....

You stole my zelda character idea!

Pretty solid. Series get good representation while still choosing popular characters. Can't say I'm a fan of duck hunt dog, though.

Also, what do the pink borders mean?
Pink means potential cuts, not that they are getting cut or that i want them to. Just because of hearing some rumblings...

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
He has no details from OOT or SS in his design, he is TP in every facet except with primary colors.

---
I honestly dont have faith in a revamped ganondorf, to me it seems likes its just gonna be another case of tradition for traditions sake when it comes to ganondorf. Bowser got a nice overhaul, so theres no excuse, but i cant shake the feeling that ganondorf will end up with the toon link treatment, as in none at all.
Have you seen him in SSB4 then?

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
So, I finally posted the Proto Man thread that's been collecting dust for a week... Hooray.

Duck Hunt Dog is the choice for a historic rep, it seems, I've also seen suggestions saying he uses the NES Zapper, making him a technological rep.

Personally, I want nothing to do with the annoying little *******, other than punch him in the face.

KageJuin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1349-7001-8814
So, I finally posted the Proto Man thread that's been collecting dust for a week... Hooray.

Duck Hunt Dog is the choice for a historic rep, it seems, I've also seen suggestions saying he uses the NES Zapper, making him a technological rep.

Personally, I want nothing to do with the annoying little *******, other than punch him in the face.
I highly doubt Duckhun Dog is going to be playable.

this.. however:

seems highly likely.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473

I'll really start to question how the character decision process works if we don't see a Donkey Kong newcomer.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725

I agree with this. My argument for a while is that he could rep both tech and retro, and since everyone who owned a NES had Duck Hunt it was the ideal choice. It's pretty much the last of the top NES games that has no representation via costume, character, or AT.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Duck Hunt Assist Trophy?

How about actual ducks? They would just fly around, in everyone's way. And maybe the dog too.
edit: You could have a guy with the NES zapper in front of the screen shooting at the players and the ducks.

Last edited:

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
I agree with this. My argument for a while is that he could rep both tech and retro, and since everyone who owned a NES had Duck Hunt it was the ideal choice. It's pretty much the last of the top NES games that has no representation via costume, character, or AT.
We... uh...

We had a duck sticker in Brawl..? Also, Sakurai might nor want to make realistic animals playable in his fighting game, especially domestic animals like dogs and cats, or anything resembling them. My opinion why we won't get playable Nintendog, Mewoth, Duck Hunt Dog, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom